PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye fans: More reasons it'll be nice to whoop Texas next week...

max venable
08-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Here's a column in the Austin paper today:

AUSTIN, Texas ó Please do not taunt, tease, insult, fold, spindle, mutilate or otherwise mess with the Ohio State fans who are coming to Austin to visit next month.

Be cordial. Do not point out that Ohio is a four-letter word.

Thatís the message coming out of the University of Texas, which has started a campaign to get fans to behave this season. I suspect this is happening because Texas wants to keep Septemberís game against OSU a fracas-free occasion.

See, at last yearís game in Columbus, there were reports of Texas fans being verbally abused and shoved around. It was so bad that Ohio State officials apologized for the boorish behavior.

So Texas has begun a drive to make sure Texas boosters donít reciprocate and try to out-ugly Ohio State when their fans come to Austin.

Texas is doing the right thing. These Ohio folk will be our guests. So donít say rude things like, "So, I hear all the money and class is over at Michigan; any truth to that? " Or, "John Glenn: I hear tell he went to outer space just to get out of Ohio."

Show some manners. Show some Texas friendly. After all, these people deserve our sympathy. Ohio is so pathetic that the big cow sculpted out of butter at their state fair is made from a ton of butter that comes from Texas.

The reason? They say itís because butter sculptures require unsalted butter, and Ohio doesnít produce it. But I figure itís because Ohioans are too stupid to churn.

Besides, thereís really no reason to be less than gracious to the Ohio State people when they get here.

Tormenting these people would be like George W. Bush invading Iraq: picking on the wrong people. The mouth breathers who started the trouble up at Ohio State wonít have the money to fly to Austin to come to the game. Theyíll be back home in their trailers watching Jerry Springer. Or, theyíll be appearing on Jerry Springer. The Ohio State fans who make the trip will be the wealthy alumni.

What fun is it to set off some old Midwestern creakerís pacemaker? So show these people some class. Take them to a tailgate party. And puhleeze, no Cleveland jokes, OK? LINK (http://www.dispatch.com/football/football.php?story=dispatch/2006/08/27/20060827-E2-03.html)

Beatin' by two TD's ought to shut 'em up. Can't wait.

DTCromer
08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
What? Fans in Columbus saying rude things and being shoved around? You don't say!

max venable
08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
What? Fans in Columbus saying rude things and being shoved around? You don't say!
Yeah...as if OSU fans are the only ones who ever do stuff like that.

Guarantee you, even with Texas' PR effort, we'll hear very similar stories about Texas fans after this game.

justincredible
08-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Hook 'em, Horns!:)

KYRedsFan
08-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Horns!

guttle11
08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Don't mess with Texas or we'll turn our nose in the air and act like we don't do the exact same thing for one night.

redsfan30
08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Shows how mature that writer is.

I understand good-natured poking at the other team, but that is just flat insulting.

Let's see how Horns fans act after having fueled up on beer all day long (8:00 kickoff). I bet they act just like the Buckeye fans did last year.

DTCromer
08-27-2006, 09:02 PM

Guarantee you, even with Texas' PR effort, we'll hear very similar stories about Texas fans after this game.

I agree, but some fans are worse than others.

NDIrish9
08-28-2006, 05:33 AM
You're a bunch of cheaters. You won't beat Texas. Half your team SHOULD be in jail. Thugs.

NDIrish9
08-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Go to a game at ND. Win or lose the Irish fans are the best in the world. No place like Notre Dame.

max venable
08-28-2006, 07:20 AM
You're a bunch of cheaters. You won't beat Texas. Half your team SHOULD be in jail. Thugs.
:rolleyes:

Farney
08-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Go to a game at ND. Win or lose the Irish fans are the best in the world. No place like Notre Dame.

I dont think that teams that havent won a bowl game in over a decade should really talk smack about a team thats won 3 BCS bowls 4 years...

max venable
08-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Interesting how ND officials had to enforce new policy because of problems with ND fans:

The new policy is in response to a growing incidence of alcohol-related problems -- including public intoxication, drinking games, gambling, fighting and vandalism -- related to all-day partying, according to Phillip A. Johnson, assistant director of Notre Dame Security Police.LINK (http://old.irishsports.com/stories/subscription/2002/08/25/isr_football.20020825-isr-TRIB-SS22-Notre_Dame_makes_tai.fff.sto)
Hmmm.

Want more? This from the Observer (an ND paper):

At several tailgates prior to the game, fans from both sides exchanged comments, and it wasn't uncommon for Notre Dame fans to pass Michigan tailgates and hear unsolicited derogatory comments.

Several students said Michigan fans would approach them in line or while they were walking and make obscene comments or gestures.

I could go on...but I think you get the point. You'll find the same type behavior anywhere. ND fans are not any better than any other teams'.

GAC
08-28-2006, 09:14 AM
We have to get past N. Illinois first. ;)

redsfan30
08-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Win or lose the Irish fans are the best in the world.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's rich!

LincolnparkRed
08-28-2006, 09:46 AM

How so with the witty Catholic vs. Convict shirts they would pull out vs. Miami? Be nice if ND had actually been relevant in college football in the last decade but hey the fans are great.

Highlifeman21
08-28-2006, 10:53 AM

But are Texas fans gonna flip over cars and burn them?

After experiencing OSU for 3 years as a student, the OSU fan contingent is quite possibly the worst in the entire country.

dabvu2498
08-28-2006, 11:38 AM
After experiencing OSU for 3 years as a student, the OSU fan contingent is quite possibly the worst in the entire country.
Never been to Knoxville, I take it.

bucksfan
08-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Eh, I think the article was tongue-in-cheek enough for me to just chuckle at it. The post saying half of Ohio State's team should be in jail was not. I'm all for good natured ribbing or arguing about sports. But don't come out with junk like that.

As far as fans, I'll admit that Ohio State has some of the worst (and some of the best). I can say the same thing for Michigan State, from my experience. I am sure most bigger schools will have similar mix of good and bad just due to the percentages of good and bad in the general population.

Heath
08-28-2006, 03:29 PM

Still Bitter? Enjoy this - scoreboard.

:D

http://shop.dispatch.com/Products/PhotoShop/medium/CD-2006-01-03-E01-Sports%20copy.jpg

Thugs, eh? Well - have fun losers. Next time why don't you have Sisters of the Poor along with South Bend High to your schedule. It might help your RPI.

:D

Highlifeman21
08-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Never been to Knoxville, I take it.

I've been to Neyland Stadium. Me and 135,000 of my closest friends, it seemed.

They didn't overturn cars and then burn them down there. Although, I do know Rocky Top by heart now.

dabvu2498
08-28-2006, 03:59 PM
I've been to Neyland Stadium. Me and 135,000 of my closest friends, it seemed.

They didn't overturn cars and then burn them down there. Although, I do know Rocky Top by heart now.
In 1995, UT beat Alabama for the first time in 10 years. UT fans burned cars (well... a car)... IN NASHVILLE. That's when I realized I was a stranger in a strange land.

MartyFan
08-28-2006, 04:35 PM

HALF?

C'mon....we are aiming for 3/4 of the team.

It's called "Team Unity"...

max venable
09-13-2006, 08:35 AM
From a columnist in Indiana.

Like them or not, Buckeye football fans the best

A few years ago I found myself the recipient of a cruel joke. Or so I thought while attending a Big Ten football game and noticing that my ticketís small print was sending me marching into a sea of scarlet.

Maybe if I kept my yap shut for four quarters (yeah, right), the afternoon would go by smoothly and only a few harmless trash-talking episodes will ensue.

Bracing myself for the worst, a strange thing happened.

Ohio State fans were, for the most part, pretty nice people. Oh, Buckeye Land has raised some bandwagon-jumping jerks, but what college football fan base hasnít? Think every supporter of Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Texas and Tennessee is taking today off to be fitted for a halo?

Hardly.

My mind backtracked to that autumn stampede of OSU backers the other day when reading that between 30,000-40,000 Buckeye fans ó thatís 40,000, not 4,000 ó made the trip to Austin, Texas, for the much-anticipated showdown between No. 1 Ohio State and second-ranked Texas.

Austin is 1,300 miles southwest of Columbus, Ohio.

Think of how many Ohio residents were forced to come down with mysterious illnesses last Thursday and Friday.

ďYeah, boss (cough), this is Walt. I wonít be in today (sniff). Seems Iíve come down with a bug of some sort (throat clear). My voice is going, so donít call me this weekend. Donít want to strain it (cough, the sequel). See you Monday.Ē

As this conversation takes place, Waltís buddies are in his driveway loading his grill and enough food to feed half of Youngstown onto the RV.

Forty-thousand people. Thirteen-hundred miles. State after state of in-between.

Who does this?

And who rents the home teamís 16,000-seat basketball venue to hold a pep session prior to Saturdayís kickoff and then has roughly 7,000 rabid Buckeye fans show up?

Donít mess with Texas, my foot. Donít mess with Ohio.

Texas, which supposedly invented and perfected the sport of football, got eclipsed off and on the football field over the weekend. A dream-come-true double-dip for all those Buckeye backers driving those 1,300 miles the other direction on Sunday.

OSU does get points taken away for the celebratory idiocy taking place near campus after the victory, which included fires, arrests and the obligatory torched automobile or two.

Not to send these morons crashing back to earth, but youíve won two football games in 2006. Eleven more and youíve got your title.

Enough wrist-slapping. The intent here is to give credit where it is due and Ohio State stepped up large in almost every way possible.

Athletics are driven by numbers, so until Michigan, Tennessee or some other program pulls off or surpasses what Ohio State just pulled off, Buckeye fans have No. 1 to themselves. LINK (http://www.theheraldbulletin.com/sports/local_story_254232406.html?start:int=15)
Good take. :thumbup: