PDA

View Full Version : OJ Mayo is leaving NCH

Reds4Life
08-27-2006, 11:42 PM
It isn't being reported by the Cincinnati media yet, but he's transferring to Huntington High School in West Virginia tomorrow. Bill Walker might follow, or at least file for eligibility in WV.

RedsBaron
08-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Reports here are that Mayo will enroll at Huntington High School, which has won West Virginia's state Class AAA basketball title the last two seasons. Huntington High already has this state's player of the year in Patrick Patterson, a kid who has offers from Duke and a host of other top flight basketball colleges.

RANDY IN INDY
08-28-2006, 06:47 AM
HHS going to be tough, huh RedsBaron? Too bad they aren't the "Pony Express" anymore. That was a great nickname.

RedsBaron
08-28-2006, 08:41 AM
HHS going to be tough, huh RedsBaron? Too bad they aren't the "Pony Express" anymore. That was a great nickname.
I agree. I always liked that nickname, but then I also like the nickname the current HHS took from the former Huntington East High School-the "Highlanders."

WVRed
08-28-2006, 05:46 PM
According to the Enquirer, Mayo is still in Cincinnati.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060828/SPT/308280028

Mayo still in Cincinnati
BY TOM GROESCHEN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

North College Hill basketball star O.J. Mayo was in class at NCH Monday morning, amid rumors that he was about to transfer to Huntington High School, W.Va.

"I have no idea where these reports come from, but I talked to O.J. just this morning in my office," NCH athletic director Joe Nickel told The Enquirer today. "He has always been enrolled here, and I can confirm he is in class today."

A Huntington area TV station, citing unnamed sources, reported Sunday night that Mayo would enroll at Huntington High today.
ADVERTISEMENT

Huntington High officials told the Huntington Herald-Dispatch that Mayo could still enroll at the school later today, but as of this morning, Mayo was still in Cincinnati at NCH.

Mayo, entering his senior year at NCH, is a two-time Ohio Mr. Basketball who has led the Trojans to consecutive Division III state championships.

Rumors have swirled that Mayo might transfer, after fellow NCH star Bill Walker recently was declared ineligible for the 2006-07 season by the Ohio High School Athletic Association.

The OHSAA ruled Walker has used up his eligibility because of a ninth-grade year in the 2002-03 season at Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, Ky., near where Mayo and Walker grew up. Both players transferred to NCH from Rose Hill in early 2003.

Mayo and Walker have spent the past three years at NCH but originally are from Huntington, about 140 miles southeast of Cincinnati. Mayo's mother, Alisha Mayo, still lives near Huntington in South Point, Ohio.

Alisha Mayo told The Enquirer two weeks ago that O.J. would stay at NCH.

"He finishes where he starts," Alisha Mayo said.

Nickel also said that Walker was in class at NCH on Monday. Walker has said he would finish his schooling at NCH this year and not play basketball this season.

The status of Keenan Ellis, a 6-foot-11 NCH senior, is unknown. Ellis was dismissed from the team last February and rumors have also circulated as to his whereabouts. Nickel said he is uncertain of Ellis' situation.

WVRed
08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
It is now official, OJ is now headed back to Huntington.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060828/SPT0301/308280050

Mayo confirms move
BY CHRISTOPHER LAWLOR | USA TODAY

Who says you can’t go home? O.J. Mayo, the nation’s top high school basketball player, told USA TODAY on Monday that he’ll transfer to Huntington (W.Va.) High in the city where he grew up.

Mayo said he will be in class Tuesday after transferring for his senior season from North College Hill in Cincinnati, making it three schools in four years.

Mayo played for Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, Ky., as a freshman, earning first-team all-state honors after leading the school to the state tournament.
ADVERTISEMENT

Said Mayo, who did not comment on his reasons for the move: “It’s exciting to go home, but it’s sad leaving North College Hill. I consider Cincinnati a second home.”

As a junior, Mayo helped NCH (26-1), win its second consecutive Division III state title in March. The team was ranked No. 3 in USA TODAY’s final Super 25 rankings in 2006.

Additionally, he was named Ohio’s Mr. Basketball for the second consecutive year after averaging 28.8 points. Mayo, who said he’ll miss playing with Walker, has not announced his college choice.

Mayo’s move means childhood friend Bill Walker will finish his senior year at North College Hill alone. Recently, the 6-6 Walker was declared ineligible for the 2006-07 season by the Ohio High School Athletic Association.

Huntington, two-time defending champion of West Virginia’s largest classification (AAA), already returns three Division I-caliber players, most notably 6-8, 235-pound power forward Patrick Patterson, whose college suitors include Florida, Kentucky, Duke, Virginia and Wake Forest.

“Arguably we have the best (high school) team in the nation,” Mayo said.

A starting lineup of OJ Mayo, Michael Taylor, Jamaal Williams, Chris Early(verbal to Oklahoma), and Patrick Patterson(on Florida, Duke, and UK's wish list among others) will be easily no 1 or 2 in the nation.

I am definitely planning on getting tickets to see Huntington take on the Big Reds here in Parkersburg in February. I wanted to see Patterson play, now I have another reason.

ol'Sparky
08-29-2006, 09:22 PM
no he ain't !!

ChiTownRedsFan
08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
no he ain't !!

Don't know where he is or "ain't," but the Enquirer says he's now in Huntington:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060829/SPT/308290021

Is it just me, or is OJ getting to be little too much of a diva? Especially for a high schooler?

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2006, 12:08 AM
I agree. I always liked that nickname, but then I also like the nickname the current HHS took from the former Huntington East High School-the "Highlanders."

Always a bitter rival of my alma mater, the Barboursville Pirates, were those Highlanders. Moreso than the Pony Express. The Greyhounds of Milton are no more, either. Sad that all the consolidation has taken the schools away from the communities. Your Wayne Pioneers have survived, haven't they?

lo ryder
08-30-2006, 12:47 AM
My apologies. This remark, although uncalled for, was not meant in a mean spirited tone, more along the lines of another spoiled athlete thinking he is bigger than the system.

WVRed
08-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Who really cares?

The people who are posting in this thread?:rolleyes:

RedsBaron
08-30-2006, 06:38 AM
It is now official, OJ is now headed back to Huntington.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060828/SPT0301/308280050

A starting lineup of OJ Mayo, Michael Taylor, Jamaal Williams, Chris Early(verbal to Oklahoma), and Patrick Patterson(on Florida, Duke, and UK's wish list among others) will be easily no 1 or 2 in the nation.

I am definitely planning on getting tickets to see Huntington take on the Big Reds here in Parkersburg in February. I wanted to see Patterson play, now I have another reason.
I wonder if Marshall University fans will reflect upon the fact that HHS has all this wonderful senior talent, yet it does not appear that any of its players will play at Marshall next year.

RedsBaron
08-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Always a bitter rival of my alma mater, the Barboursville Pirates, were those Highlanders. Moreso than the Pony Express. The Greyhounds of Milton are no more, either. Sad that all the consolidation has taken the schools away from the communities. Your Wayne Pioneers have survived, haven't they?

Yes they have. Wayne's baseball team didn't have a good season this past spring, perhaps in part because of the retirement of Coach George Brumfield (the field is now named after him), but the football team has been great in recent years, with several undefeated regular seasons.
Wayne County now has three high schools, with Fort Gay and Crum combined to make Tolsia and C-K, Vinson and Buffalo combined to make Spring Valley. Tolsia has done well. What has been the major disappointment is Spring Valley, at least in football. I'm sure you can recall all those state championships won by C-K from the 1960s through the mid-1990s, and Buffalo and Vinson were usually good, too. Last year Spring Valley went 0-10.
This year the four high schools in Lincoln County were all consolidated into one school.
It is tough on local communties when schools are consolidated. The communities often lose much of their identities, and it sometimes makes for very long schoolbus trips for students on our inadequate road system.

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Who really cares?

If you don't like it, don't read it.

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes they have. Wayne's baseball team didn't have a good season this past spring, perhaps in part because of the retirement of Coach George Brumfield (the field is now named after him), but the football team has been great in recent years, with several undefeated regular seasons.
Wayne County now has three high schools, with Fort Gay and Crum combined to make Tolsia and C-K, Vinson and Buffalo combined to make Spring Valley. Tolsia has done well. What has been the major disappointment is Spring Valley, at least in football. I'm sure you can recall all those state championships won by C-K from the 1960s through the mid-1990s, and Buffalo and Vinson were usually good, too. Last year Spring Valley went 0-10.
This year the four high schools in Lincoln County were all consolidated into one school.
It is tough on local communties when schools are consolidated. The communities often lose much of their identities, and it sometimes makes for very long schoolbus trips for students on our inadequate road system.

And limits the opportunities of high school athletics for a lot of kids. West Virginia is doing the exact opposite of what a lot of progressive areas are doing. Bigger is not better.

RedsBaron
08-30-2006, 08:36 AM
And limits the opportunities of high school athletics for a lot of kids. West Virginia is doing the exact opposite of what a lot of progressive areas are doing. Bigger is not better.

Spring Valley has 43 kids out for football this year. I'd guess that C-K, Vinson and Buffalo easily used to have more than 100 players combined.

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Really cuts into the basketball and baseball teams. Basketball probably has 12 kids and a JV team. All the schools used to have that. 12 kids where there used to be 36-40.

Roy Tucker
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Wherever he goes, I hope he gets a good education, sound hoops training, and above all, good adult role models and guidance.

I feel that, at this point in his life, he is on the fence of going either "Lebron James everything good" or "Maurice Clarett everything bad".

RedsBaron
08-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Mayo is quoted as saying the right things about wanting to fit in at HHS. While Mayo may be the best high school basketball player in the country, HHS is the two-time defending state champion with a host of other players who are college bound. If Mayo came in demanding to be "the straw that stirs the drink" (to steal Reggie Jackson's self-description), his presence could disrupt the team. Instead he is quoted as saying that he doesn't expect to come in and score 30 points a game.
Man, I feel sorry for some of the teams going up against Mayo, Patterson & Company this season.

WVRed
08-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Mayo is quoted as saying the right things about wanting to fit in at HHS. While Mayo may be the best high school basketball player in the country, HHS is the two-time defending state champion with a host of other players who are college bound. If Mayo came in demanding to be "the straw that stirs the drink" (to steal Reggie Jackson's self-description), his presence could disrupt the team. Instead he is quoted as saying that he doesn't expect to come in and score 30 points a game.
Man, I feel sorry for some of the teams going up against Mayo, Patterson & Company this season.

Do you know HHS's schedule? I know they are coming to PHS February 7th and I think they play Ashland(which will be VERY interesting given the boycott of Rose Hill). Outside of that, I have no idea.

WVRed
08-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Actually, I somewhat take back what I said. I'm betting HHS's schedule will undergo a MASSIVE overhaul. After reading an article from the Ashland Daily today, I wouldnt be surprised if McGuffin tries to buyout a game or four.

The rewards from getting into these tournaments compared to the buyouts would be enormous.

RedsBaron
08-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Do you know HHS's schedule? I know they are coming to PHS February 7th and I think they play Ashland(which will be VERY interesting given the boycott of Rose Hill). Outside of that, I have no idea.

The school's web site is still showing the 2005-06 basketball schedule, so this year's schedule may not be available as yet.

Roy Tucker
08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
North College Hill's schedule is going to be radically changed as well sans Mayo and Walker.

It will be regular old HS hoops now instead of the OJ and Bill Show.

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2006, 05:23 PM
HHS is probably better than Marshall at this point.

Reds4Life
08-30-2006, 05:25 PM
North College Hill's schedule is going to be radically changed as well sans Mayo and Walker.

It will be regular old HS hoops now instead of the OJ and Bill Show.

Yep, they just lost their meal ticket.

I think this was a good move for OJ, he needs to be near his mom and get away from Dwaine Barnes as quickly as possible.

Doc. Scott
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Yep, they just lost their meal ticket.

I think this was a good move for OJ, he needs to be near his mom and get away from Dwaine Barnes as quickly as possible.

Why is that? I hadn't heard anything particularly sinister about Barnes.

Reds4Life
08-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Why is that? I hadn't heard anything particularly sinister about Barnes.

I have. I go to quite a few AAU events, lets just say Barnes isn't good news.

redsfan30
08-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Barnes is a control freak. He isn't interested in O.J.'s best interest....all he sees when he looks at his "grandson" is $$$$.

RedsBaron
08-30-2006, 09:44 PM
HHS is probably better than Marshall at this point.

Very true. I doubt Marshall would want to play HHS.

WVRed
08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I have. I go to quite a few AAU events, lets just say Barnes isn't good news.

Thing is, Barnes just moved back to Huntington, and guess who followed.

I agree 100%. I remember him at the Rose Hill games screaming over Jeff Hall trying to tell Mayo what to do. Once Mayo gets out of high school, he would be wise to shy as far away from Barnes and Sonny Vacarro as he can, but unfortunately, that isnt going to happen.

People can call this a circus all they want, and they are right, but it is the adults who have made the circus. OJ has done some foolish things, but if he had proper adult supervision, this likely could never have happened.

Actually, now that you mention his mom, she was the reason he attended Rose Hill. It wasnt until Walker showed up that things went south. IMO, Walker is the negative influence, not Mayo.

Reds4Life
08-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Barnes has been back in WV for a while now, at least a few months or so, OJ has been living here pretty much by himself when he isn't going to different basketball camps and events. That was part of the reason he decided to move back with his mom.

Walker might end up in WV as well.

Roy Tucker
08-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Paul Daugherty's take on it...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060831/COL03/608310394/1082/SPT

MayoWalker was good, but it wasn't NCH

I never wrote much about Ovinton J'Anthony Mayo and Bill Walker, aka MayoWalker. I always felt the publicity was misplaced. It wasn't their fault they worked in a world dominated by opportunists, carnival barkers and sneaker salesmen. They were just a couple of high school kids, spinning like Auntie Em's house in the middle of the tornado. MayoWalker did the best it could, mostly, in a difficult situation not of its making.

I wasn't going to promote the tornado. Or them. It's wrong, OK?

When we glorify eighth-graders who aren't designing rockets or curing diseases, it's wrong.

When a high school kid is signing autographs for his classmates, it's wrong.

When a high school's basketball program - and by extension its athletic department - can be co-opted by the guardian of a star player, it's wrong. When close to $200,000 is raised by the team's appearances in games and not one dime of it is earmarked for textbooks, computers or funding college scholarships, it's wrong.

But more than that, the last three years of MayoWalker gnawed at high school sports' most tightly woven fabric:

We go to the games to cheer for the kids because we know them. We know their families. They're part of us. We have a connection to the town in which they've grown up and played. Cheering for the hometown team has a meaning beyond winning and losing. We're cheering for a part of ourselves that makes us proud.

That's the soul of high school sports.

When we lose that, we've lost everything.

The residents of North College Hill argue that MayoWalker did much for the community. It fostered better race relations. It stoked community pride. For three years, it put the place on the national map.

Then it left before it was done. Or at least Mayo did. Walker remains enrolled at NCH, his basketball eligibility used up. Mayo left for a better deal, to a West Virginia school whose state-title prospects are better than NCH's appear to be.

The impression Mayo leaves isn't of a community-minded player, grateful for North College Hill's embrace. He looks like a mercenary. He looks like a pro. One of our gripes about pro sports is that the players have no ties to the cities where they play or to the fans who worship them.

Am I naïve about all this?

I like believing in the purity of kids' games. I hope the onslaught of AAU teams financed by shoe companies, and the oppressive media fixation on who's The Next, doesn't make high school hoops a minor-league bus stop. That would cheapen it to death. It would be just like everything else.

"The high stress level is gone," Joe Nickel said Wednesday. He is NCH's athletic director, a job he combines with school counseling. It was an interesting three years for Nickel. He had to feel like the farmer who's doing fine until the spaceship lands in his field.

He's a public education lifer (38 years, 27 as the Trojans' AD) who did an impossible job admirably. If the tradeoffs involved gave him pause, he isn't saying. "I remember all the things that were brought to North College Hill in a positive light," said Nickel, and well he should. There were positives.

But as MayoWalker packs up the tent, I'm left with this: These kids were at North College Hill, they weren't of it. It was just a place for them to play. The school profited from them, and it paid for it with a slice of its soul.

MayoWalker might return to the school a decade from now, flush with NBA money, and express its gratitude to the community that loved it by endowing a scholarship or funding a math lab. That would be the right thing to do. It would lend the current situation a nobility it lacks. Meantime, a formerly sleepy and tight little community can resume being what it was.

"We'll go back to our normal way," Joe Nickel said. "No regrets. We'll be proud of the three years."

Elvis has left the building. He had a nice run. In some ways.

E-mail pdaugherty@enquirer .com