PDA

View Full Version : Homer call up question

Jefferson24
08-28-2006, 01:58 PM
If Homer were to get called up would it be considered unusual that he didn't spend any time in AAA? Do that many players go straight from AA to the big show? I realize there isn't much of a season left at AAA. I guess with the sucesss he has had at AA I'm a little curious why after 4 or 5 good outings they didn't call him up to AAA.

dougflynn23
08-28-2006, 02:35 PM
:) IMO, the only benefit to a stud pitching prospect going to AAA before the big leagues would be to make sure his secondary pitches can fool hitters with MLB experience. In AAA he'd have seen "4A" hitters such as Kevin Witt, D'Angelo Jimenez, Terence Long, etc who may not be very good MLB players but can certainly turn on a 96 mph fastball. I'm not in favor of Bailey being called up this year; he's in uncharted waters with his innings pitched, but if that was not a factor there's no reason a stud pitcher can't leapfrog AAA.

paulrichjr
08-28-2006, 03:46 PM
How many WOULD call up Homer even if it meant possible future arm problem IF it was guaranteed that the Reds would win the World Series?

A guy like Homer could do to a team what Beckett did to the Yanks....

ochoa30
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I would not risk his future even for a world series, he could lead us to many in the future.

westofyou
08-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I would not risk his future even for a world series, he could lead us to many in the future.
Wait for the prom, miss the dance.

BoilerBC11
08-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Ohh wow, hands down call him up. Yes the Reds future looks bright, however chances are as tough as the AL is, The Reds would be lucky to ever win a WS. So if those are the options, you take it while its there...

Doc. Scott
08-28-2006, 07:11 PM
How many WOULD call up Homer even if it meant possible future arm problem IF it was guaranteed that the Reds would win the World Series?

A guy like Homer could do to a team what Beckett did to the Yanks....

If it's a World Series win? Sign me up. Seriously. He's just one guy.

But that's a manipulative and implausible question, of course.