PDA

View Full Version : Putting a dog "to sleep"

flyer85
08-28-2006, 03:22 PM
our mutt of 13 years is coming to the end of the line. He has had health issues for the last year but has been completely listless the last few days.

Sad to contemplate. He is really my wife's dog. We will take him to the vet this evening and see what he says but I have a feeling this might be it.

It is sad, we get quite attached to our critters. We have another dog that is my daughters and she will be quite lost if he isn't around anymore.

dman
08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
I had to do it this time last year. We had a Yellow Labrador. It was by far the hardest thing that I'd dealt with in a really long time. I do not envy you, and I wish you the best. I was so close to this dog that I went to a funeral home and had him cremated and put in an urn. My wife decapaged it with pictures of him for me.

dabvu2498
08-28-2006, 03:29 PM
I can empathize, Ricardo. I've had to make that same trip three times in my adult life. I keep getting more dogs and keep getting emotionally attached to them. I can't go in an animal shelter... the greyhound adoption agency I've done some volunteering for wants me to be a "foster" home, but I can't... Of course, I like dogs a lot more than I like most people.

Keep getting dogs. They're good for the soul.

Dman: we have a memorial garden in our back yard for our dogs where we scattered the ashes. The wife and I have never said this, but I think it's part of the reason neither one of us really wants to move, even though we could stand and afford the "upgrade."

Typing that out, I just realized what a freak I am... reality at last.

Ltlabner
08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey man, we can argue about baseball all day but it is this type of situation you are facing that is really the stuff of life.

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues of your pet and the pain you and your family is experiencing. It is very sad, especially if you become attached as you said.

There really are no easy answers but I wish you luck and the best.

RollyInRaleigh
08-28-2006, 03:31 PM
One of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

Red Leader
08-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm right there with you. We had our dog put to sleep 2 weeks ago this past Saturday. The house still feels empty when I come home from work. I wish I could just have 1 or 2 more days with him to let him know how much I appreciated his loyalty, his caring nature, and his understanding of my younger children pulling, tugging, and trying to ride him like a pony. He was also my wife's dog in college. She bought him 2 weeks before we started dating. I helped her raise him and was the one that would take him outside when there was 12" of snow on the ground at 6am in the dead of winter. He moved with us to our first apartment, our first house, and our current house and witnessed the birth of both of our children. He was and still is, part of the family. We all still miss him dearly. Best of luck to you and your dog, Ricardo. It's not an easy thing to go through. My prayers will be with you and your family.

flyer85
08-28-2006, 03:34 PM
You can say a prayer for my wife. She'll be a basket case. She never "liked dogs" but she was the reason we got him. He has been her lap warmer for the last 13 years.

SunDeck
08-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Sorry Ricardo,
I put my old boy down about six months ago, a fourteen year old Retriever. Tough business, my friend.

Blimpie
08-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Ricardo. A bit of advice: Should that end up being the fate of your pet, you should be prepared to remove all things "doggy' from the house post-haste.

Bowls, chew toys, beds, brushes, etc...gather that stuff up really quickly so that your wife doesn't have the constant reminder.

BuckWoody
08-28-2006, 04:19 PM
We had to put our 10-year old lab down in June and it just crushed us. He had bone cancer and we did all we could to get him through it but nothing worked. We knew his time was coming so the last couple of months we never passed up any opportunity we had to give him hugs and tell him what a good boy he was. We stayed with him until the very end. I've never done anything so difficult in my life.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife, Ricardo. Know that you are doing what's best for your dog.

MartyFan
08-28-2006, 04:22 PM
You can say a prayer for my wife. She'll be a basket case. She never "liked dogs" but she was the reason we got him. He has been her lap warmer for the last 13 years.

That was me to a T when we had to put one of our dogs down...I grew up never really thinking much about dogs, cats, etc...My wife is an absolute NUT about dogs...Russ was a retired racer and developed brain cancer...he was in bad shape and we had to determine if our continued efforts to keep him around was for us or for him...in the end I ended up A MESS...it was one of the toughest things in my life...I'll be praying for your wife and for you and your daughter.

Johnny Footstool
08-28-2006, 04:52 PM
When a pet dies, I think it's best to get a new pet as soon as possible. It helps turn the sadness into something positive.

When my cat died a few years ago, my wife and I and our other cat were miserable for weeks before I finally decided we needed another cat. My wife resisted at first, but it turned out to be the best thing for us.

flyer85
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Replacing my wife's dog may be complicated. My daughter's dog, a 5 year old Shiba Inu has an extreme dislike of other dogs, save one and he isn't going to be around anymore.

Red Leader
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
When a pet dies, I think it's best to get a new pet as soon as possible. It helps turn the sadness into something positive.

When my cat died a few years ago, my wife and I and our other cat were miserable for weeks before I finally decided we needed another cat. My wife resisted at first, but it turned out to be the best thing for us.

I've already began searching for a new dog through petfinder.com.

Any other sites that you guys would recommend for the Dayton / Cincinnati area?

Don't want to hi-jack the thread with that...you can PM me if you wish.

bucksfan
08-28-2006, 05:05 PM

That's what we did too, Johnny. We had about 1 month of no dog time last spring and the house was as empty as a house with a 3 yr old girl could be.

My best wishes to you, your wife, and your dog, Ricardo. We experienced this last spring, and it was sudden as she was only 9 and in extremely good health (to our eyes). I did get all her stuff out of the house immediately - some up to the attic that I thought could logically be used again (more expensive stuff like feeding bowl stand, etc) and other stuff into big garbage bags and into the back of my truck. I was crying the whole time.

Red Heeler
08-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry for you, if indeed you do have to put your dog down. Saying goodbye to a pet is one of the hardest things to do. I've had to put two of my own down in the last two years. I still miss them.

As for replacing your dog, wait just a bit for the initial shock to wear off.

Good luck to you.

i_heart_jason
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
sorry to hear that. may your hearts heal quickly.

pedro
08-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Ricardo.

I have a couple of friends here in Portland who have had this local guy do paintings of their dogs from photos after their dogs passed. Seems silly on the surface but the paintings are really incredible. He really captures each individual dog. I know it meant a lot to them anyway.

Here's the guys site if anyone is interested. http://www.drawandpaint.com/Dogs_1/dogs_1.html

There is also bar in town called "The Lucky Lab" that features a bunch of his paintings and lets you bring your dogs their. It's a cool place.

This one is actually my friend Todd's dad's dog. He had the painting done for his dad for christmas.

http://www.drawandpaint.com/Dogs_5/Mandy/Mandylarge.jpg

redsfanmia
08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
My heart goes out for you Ricardo, My dog was lying next to me as I read your post and a tear came to my eye and then I hugged my dog and told her that I loved her.

MrCinatit
08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Our family went through it seven times, all but one from old age. It never gets easier.

BoydsOfSummer
08-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I had to do it this time last year. We had a Yellow Labrador. It was by far the hardest thing that I'd dealt with in a really long time. I do not envy you, and I wish you the best. I was so close to this dog that I went to a funeral home and had him cremated and put in an urn. My wife decapaged it with pictures of him for me.

Same here dman. Only dog I've ever even thought about doing that with. She earned the respect though. Sincere sympathy for you Ricardo.

U.K.C Field Champion,Show Champion and one damn fine rabbit hound.

http://myspace-620.vo.llnwd.net/00678/02/63/678883620_l.jpg

RedsBaron
08-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Several years ago I had to take our golden retriever to a vet ER . It turned out he had terminal kidney failure, so he had to be put to sleep. It was hard looking in those big brown eyes for the last time, those eyes that trusted me to make everything okay, with me unable to do anything other than put an end to his suffering.

Ltlabner
08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
You know, we can all act macho and tough. We can post and try to out dual each other on the threads. We can all strive to make the most clever post of the day.

But at the end of the day, when you look into a beloved dogs eyes and know that you are making a decision to end their suffering it hurts. When you see them looking at you with trust and love and they can't communicate it to you verbally it hurts. When the best you can do to let the animal know that you love it is to gentley pet it and cry as it's carried away it hurts.

They let you know they love you by being loyal, protecting and obeying you. They are excited when you come home. Thilled when you play with them and love to snuggle. They communicate their love with a wag of the tail or a playfull attitude.

Still to see those eyes and only wish you could communicate with them on a level we understand. To let them know how much we love them.

If that doesn't break your heart you are one cold individual.

Rojo
08-29-2006, 02:41 AM
I think the toughest part of owning an animal is making a financial decision about their life. My folks had a Dobie that was fourteen years old and had all kinds of problems. They spent something like $3K before having to pull the plug. The thing is they could've spent more but there has to be a point where you make that hard decision. Your heart says to spend the money, but realistically, you can't always do that and still look out for the rest of your family.

I waver on the notion of running out and buying a replacement animal. It seems so diminishing like someone getting remarried right after burying a spouse.

letsgojunior
08-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Several years ago I had to take our golden retriever to a vet ER . It turned out he had terminal kidney failure, so he had to be put to sleep. It was hard looking in those big brown eyes for the last time, those eyes that trusted me to make everything okay, with me unable to do anything other than put an end to his suffering.

:(

I'm experiencing the same thing. My dog is really really sick with bone cancer, and I can't bring myself to look in his eyes.

flyer85
08-29-2006, 09:52 AM
The dog came home from the vet last night. We prepaid the stuff to get everything done but he perked up some yesterday and the vet thought that he wasn't in a lot of pain and would probably be around for a month or two.

It is not an easy decision to make. Thanks everyone.

We have a picture of out dog as my daughter is quite a talented artist. It is a nice keepsake.

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I waver on the notion of running out and buying a replacement animal. It seems so diminishing like someone getting remarried right after burying a spouse.

A lot of people are apprehensive for that same reason. For me, it was an easy decision. My cat and I brought each other a lot of happiness, and I felt it was important to continue sharing that happiness with another pet.

Bringing that new cat home made all the grief melt away and left all the good memories of my previous pet. Naming the new cat "Griffey" also helped.

MrCinatit
08-29-2006, 10:31 AM
This thread is fascinating in it is both depressing, and uplifting at the same time.

IslandRed
08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
The hardest thing I've had to do in my adult life was having my cat -- best cat ever, of course -- euthanized. Not that there was any real choice to it, she had rapidly progressing cancer. But still... I remembered thinking to myself "where's an adult when you need one?" I was 35 years old.

When I was growing up, our family dog somehow got off his leash outside and ran into the road, was hit by a car. My dad found him, mangled, and buried him immediately so my sister and I wouldn't see. Only when he came into the house crying did my sister and I find out what happened.

Being a grownup isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

Sweetstop
08-29-2006, 06:46 PM
My still beautiful, white and tawny-colored Shih-Tzu, Sasha, is 15 yrs. old. She has recently been diagnosed by our James Herriott w/ a squamous-cell carcinoma in her eye. He cautioned against surgery, which would probably require her eye be removed, since he didn't want us to have to pay for a surgery and then have her put to sleep a month or so later.

We're taking it day by day now. As long as she isn't in pain or suffering, we're going to wait..I'm already crying frequently, just thinking about it. Her best friend, Theo, another Shih-Tzu, died in my husband's lap about 4 yrs. ago. It's really hard.

Red Heeler
08-29-2006, 07:01 PM
My still beautiful, white and tawny-colored Shih-Tzu, Sasha, is 15 yrs. old. She has recently been diagnosed by our James Herriott w/ a squamous-cell carcinoma in her eye. He cautioned against surgery, which would probably require her eye be removed, since he didn't want us to have to pay for a surgery and then have her put to sleep a month or so later.

We're taking it day by day now. As long as she isn't in pain or suffering, we're going to wait..I'm already crying frequently, just thinking about it. Her best friend, Theo, another Shih-Tzu, died in my husband's lap about 4 yrs. ago. It's really hard.

You may want to get another opinion on your dog. SCC is normally not metastatic unless it is in the mouth. Surgical removal will usually cure the disease. As long as your dog is otherwise healthy, I would recommend a set of Xrays to check for metastasis and then removing the tumor if no mets are seen.

OldRightHander
08-29-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't even own a dog and this thread has me reaching for the tissues. The last dog I had back in the late 80s got hit by a car and killed. That was pretty rough. I had a couple cats for a few years that I had to give to a friend when I got married and moved back in 2001. That was hard enough parting with them and they were still alive.

Sweetstop
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
You may want to get another opinion on your dog. SCC is normally not metastatic unless it is in the mouth. Surgical removal will usually cure the disease. As long as your dog is otherwise healthy, I would recommend a set of Xrays to check for metastasis and then removing the tumor if no mets are seen.

The vet seemed to be concerned about the effect of the anesthetic on her, since she has had a minor stroke or two, evidently (some mornings she is disoriented, can't walk straight). Also, she has cataracts, and sees very little, and is almost totally deaf. She has a good appetite, though, and has definitely not lost any weight and is able to get around fine in familiar surroundings.

He also thought they might end up having to remove the eye, since it is directly on it. We thought that might be very traumatic for her.

Not sure. Thanks for input.

flyer85
09-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Well, we put Scamper to sleep this evening. He had quit eating this week and his energy had ebbed away. When we got to the vet he just wagged his tail while looking at myself and my wife. It ripped my heart as his life slipped away. It hurts.

MrCinatit
09-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Ouch. I'm very sorry to hear that, Richardo.

Ltlabner
09-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Well, we put Scamper to sleep this evening. He had quit eating this week and his energy had ebbed away. When we got to the vet he just wagged his tail while looking at myself and my wife. It ripped my heart as his life slipped away. It hurts.

That really sucks man and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure scamper knew how much you loved him. Animals are very perceptive and know when they are being loved. I'm sorry that it's hurting.

I never seem to have the right words. Just know that I feal for you.

BoydsOfSummer
09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry,man.

dman
09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Sorry,man.

Ditto here Ricardo.

BuckWoody
09-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Ricardo, you have my deepest sympathy. Take solice in the fact that you did what was best.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers

MrCinatit
09-09-2006, 07:41 AM
I read this on another site, which basically said this:
When dogs die, they go to a giant pasture, where they are free to roam and play with other dogs in the pasture. But, that is only where they go temporarily, but it is only temporary.
When we die, we also go to that pasture, where our dogs are waiting for us, allowing us to spend time together for eternity.

bucksfan
09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Very sorry to hear that, Ricardo. I hope time can heal the hurt.

mash3024
09-17-2006, 10:56 AM
I thought I could pitch in a little bit. Just yesterday I noticed that my dog was having a little trouble walking. As the day went on it seemed to get considerably worse. I ended up taking him to a 24 hour care facility last night and received the news everyone dreads.

It turns out that he was starting to have congestive heart failure and was having trouble breathing. So last night we had to put my dog of 12 years to sleep.

As much as you try, there is never enough time to fully prepare you for letting go of something that has been a major part of your life for so long. In my case it was half of my life. That was the first time I have had to go through that and I feel the pain for people who have had it happen to them on more than 1 occasion.

BoydsOfSummer
09-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear that my friend.