PDA

View Full Version : a possibility that Smoltz wont be back with the Braves!!! Think BOB would get him?

redsfan4445
08-28-2006, 06:09 PM
per mlbtraderumers.com

Smoltz Could Leave Braves
It seems like every couple of years, the Braves go through contract negotations with John Smoltz. He's been a Brave for all these years, it just seems inevitable that they'll work something out. However, a recent quote from Smoltz makes this offseason sound a little different:

All I know is, after these last two years and with my desire to work out, I've got two or three more years, easy. I used to always be of the mind-set that if it's not here, it won't be anywhere else. But that's not the case any more. I'll pitch somewhere else.

Smoltz, 39, is having a Cy Young caliber season. He's got a 3.36 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 8.3 K/9 in 190 innings. Shortly after the World Series, the Braves need to decide if he's worth $8MM for 2007.

Smoltz received a four-year deal worth $31MM in November of 1996 following his Cy Young season. He became baseball's highest-paid pitcher at the time. The results of the contract were 90 starts, one Tommy John surgery, and one season as closer. His next multiyear deal was three years and $30 mil, with a club option as well. He signed his current extension in December of 2004; it included a $6MM signing bonus to bring the average annual value to $9.3MM assuming the option is exercised.

That option, by the way, is a no-brainer. Smoltz is worth $7.4MM next year according to Baseball Prospectus. They project his value at just $11.5MM over the 2008-10 seasons, however. The smart business move may be to just exercise the option and leave it at that. That could result in a midsummer deal. Smoltz's former team, the Tigers, could have interest if he's ever available. Smoltz hails from Warren, Michigan and grew up in the Tigers' system.

One thing that could maybe turn a few teams off: some comments Smoltz made a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to find out if he's amended or clarified since. And honestly most teams would probably ignore it the way they ignore DUIs and stuff like that.

REDREAD
08-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Ok, what comments did he make a few years ago? What PC group did he offend? :lol:

Of course the Braves are going to exercise his option for next year. They'd be idiots not to.

westofyou
08-28-2006, 06:34 PM
What PC group did he offend?

Smoltz, in 2004 likened gay marriage to “marrying an animal.”

PC or not, it just sounds stupid.

RedFanAlways1966
08-28-2006, 09:09 PM

It definitely does not sound smart. But we all know the pro sports unwritten rule... the heck with PC if you can help a team win games. No matter the sport. 3.36 ERA, 1.12 WHIP... that is a winner. He'll be back in a Braves uniform.

I wonder the feelings of RZ on the average "smartness" of a MLB player. Below average, average, above average? Personally I have never thought the average MLB player is real smart. Most probably do not have a lot of real education on their resumes. More of them these days went to college than the old days, but how hard did they study (w/ pro ball in their future)? Of course you do not have to be educated to be intelligent (although it can help). Nothing scientific... not a putdown... just an opinion. And when it comes to things PC, I'd guess that pro athletes might be less inclined to be PC. Maybe it is the "lockerroom life" they live.

westofyou
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
JS is smart, but he's also very religious... that plays into his comment, recently he played a big part in an event in Turner Field that didn't have anything to do with baseball.. he gave his testimony at "Faith Day" IIRC.

Anyway, he lives in a gated community in Northern Atlanta so I don't get the vibe he goes to Decatur or Midtown too much.

oneupper
08-28-2006, 10:57 PM
The Rockies or Astros will pick him up.

Jpup
08-29-2006, 03:51 AM
He'll be back in Atlanta or sign with Detroit. I think he's just trying the get the Braves to commit to a longer deal. The Reds have zero chance.

REDREAD
08-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Ok, thanks.. I was curious.

Highlifeman21
08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Rogers and Smoltz in the same rotation.

The Tigers Management/Ownership might want to take stock in geritol.

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2006, 05:38 PM
I wonder the feelings of RZ on the average "smartness" of a MLB player. Below average, average, above average? Personally I have never thought the average MLB player is real smart. Most probably do not have a lot of real education on their resumes. More of them these days went to college than the old days, but how hard did they study (w/ pro ball in their future)? Of course you do not have to be educated to be intelligent (although it can help). Nothing scientific... not a putdown... just an opinion. And when it comes to things PC, I'd guess that pro athletes might be less inclined to be PC. Maybe it is the "lockerroom life" they live.

My guess is that most of them grew up in environments that didn't really value intelligence or an education as much as athletic prowess.

crazybob60
08-29-2006, 05:43 PM
I would be a dollar to a doughnut that he is wearing that Braves uniform again next season.