PDA

View Full Version : Over-used words and phrases (in other words, ENOUGH ALREADY!)

max venable
08-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll nominate these:

Git 'r done :bang:

I'm like... ("and he was like, wait, and I was like go ahead, and everyone was like, well okay then")

Think outside the box. It would give you more credibility to use a different expression, or a different way to describe what you are looking for. :thumbup:

Phone tag I can absolutely count on the other person referring to phone tag if each of us has had to leave at least one voicemail.

Bling. :bang:

Any others?

BuckWoody
08-29-2006, 09:24 PM
"Literally". As in "He has literally put this team on his back and carried them to victory." Probably not unless it was some sort of teammate carrying competition. Overly used and mis-used.

Falls City Beer
08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
"That said...."

wally post
08-29-2006, 09:37 PM
"It's all good"

It's NEVER all good!

Razor Shines
08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
All things considered I can't think of one.

Falls City Beer
08-29-2006, 09:42 PM
"That dog don't hunt"

I prefer: "That turd don't streak the side of the bowl."

justincredible
08-29-2006, 09:47 PM
I'll nominate these:

Git 'r done :bang:

I'm like... ("and he was like, wait, and I was like go ahead, and everyone was like, well okay then")

Think outside the box. It would give you more credibility to use a different expression, or a different way to describe what you are looking for. :thumbup:

Phone tag I can absolutely count on the other person referring to phone tag if each of us has had to leave at least one voicemail.

Bling. :bang:

Any others?

Git 'r done :bang: Agreed. I hate that phrase.

I'm like... Like should never be used unless comparing 2 or more things. I hate hearing it as a verbal pause.

Think outside the box. I never thought of it the way you said. Now I agree.

Phone tag. My mom says this all the time. It drives me nuts.

Bling. :bang: Agreed. Extremely annoying.

I also hate the overuse of the word Random. My girlfriend says it all the time. "That was random." No, that was different, not random.

Highlifeman21
08-29-2006, 09:58 PM
"8th and final playoff spot"

paintmered
08-29-2006, 09:59 PM
"Oh my God"

letsgojunior
08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Under the bus

ol'Sparky
08-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I love when people say ........ I LUV AT !!!! :bang:

guttle11
08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
"Oh my God"

ECW ECW ECW!!!

It's gotten to the point that "thinking outside the box" is now inside said box.

Anything that comes out of Stuart Scott's mouth.

People saying they've been disrespected.

Falls City Beer
08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
ECW ECW ECW!!!

It's gotten to the point that "thinking outside the box" is now inside said box.

Anything that comes out of Stuart Scott's mouth.

People saying they've been disrespected.

What's ECW?

guttle11
08-29-2006, 10:19 PM
What's ECW?

You live in Philly and you've never heard of ECW? It's pro wrestling. I posted it as a joke to the "Oh my God" comment. I guess it's a "had to be there" type thing.

Falls City Beer
08-29-2006, 10:21 PM
You live in Philly and you've never heard of ECW? It's pro wrestling. I posted it as a joke to the "Oh my God" comment. I guess it's a "had to be there" type thing.

No, I have heard of the wrestling ECW, but I thought it stood for something else, too.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-29-2006, 11:08 PM
"does that make sense"

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-29-2006, 11:09 PM
usually when talking about homosexuality..."not that there's anything wrong with that"

OldRightHander
08-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Under the bus

I'm getting sick of everything and everyone being thrown under the bus.

Heath
08-29-2006, 11:20 PM
"We are sorry to inform you that your last outburst has caused you to have an extended vacation."

Sincerely,

The RedsZone.com moderators.

Razor Shines
08-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm getting sick of everything and everyone being thrown under the bus.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it if every once in a while some one actually did get thrown under the bus.

macro
08-30-2006, 12:16 AM
"...at the end of the day..."

"What can I do you for?"

Oh, and I cringe every time someone says "phone tag".

SunDeck
08-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Interviewers always ask athletes: "What was your thought process?"
Is this because they believe it sounds smarter than, "What were you thinking?" Drives me bonkers.

"Hang Time" - there is simply no such thing.

"Booya" - what is that anyway?

"Hoo-ra" - okay if you are military. Otherwise, leave it to the folks actually in the military.

"He/she is an a-maaazing <insert profession, but it's usually actors talking about each other>" - if that's the only adjective you can find, then read a book.

Lastly, anything said by Chris Berman.

Ltlabner
08-30-2006, 08:26 AM
The phrase "just sayin' " instead of a complete thought.

When talking about different portions of a complex orginzation or problem, the individual components are refered to as "pieces". As in, "When considering the massive costs of healthcare, one should consider the insurance piece as a prime target for cost reductions".

"Touch base" - I'm in sales and even find myself saying this from time to time. Simply hate the phrase. Why don't you tell the other person what you really want to accomplish in the meeting besides just "touching base".

"Going yard" - No real reasoning here. Just think it's a goofy saying.

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2006, 08:57 AM
The phrase "just sayin' " instead of a complete thought

That one irritates me, as well.

max venable
08-30-2006, 09:14 AM
"does that make sense"

Guilty here.

dabvu2498
08-30-2006, 09:15 AM
"Hi, hello, and welcome to Dodger Stadium."

08-30-2006, 09:31 AM
It's a win-win situation. It is usually used when someone is trying to sell you on something that isn't a good idea for you.

My bad- I hate it- it is bad.

max venable
08-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Oh, how 'bout this one:

e-(anything) (e-news, e-commerce, e-whatever) :bang:

RFS62
08-30-2006, 09:41 AM
"It's not about the money."

Man, when you hear that one, you'd better grab your wallet.

bucksfan
08-30-2006, 01:47 PM
I'd agree heartily on some listed :
- "just sayin' "
- references to throwing someone "under the bus"

I am probably guilty of others :
- "phone tag" - heck I don't know what else you call it, but to me it is a simple description of the situation where 2 people have repeatedly left messages for each other. I don't tend to use it when actually leavin g the messages, but would refer to it when talking to someone else about the status of my attempted conversation (e.g. haven't been able to discuss yet with Christine, we've been playign phone tag)
- "touching base" - for me a phrase to soften the fact that I am checking on the status/progress of things, which I have to do all the time. However it sounds kinda tiresome to me too.

I don't care for the frequent use of "That's not acceptable" by so many people in so many situations. It always rubs me very wrong for some reason.

I am also tired of the term "diva". How is it there were like 3 divas in the whole world 20 years ago and now there are millions?

Edit : Per may last sentence above, you can also add the improper use of the word like to things I am guilty of!!! :)

RichRed
08-30-2006, 04:19 PM
"It is what it is."

CTA513
08-30-2006, 04:24 PM
"You can put it on the board"

Crash Davis
08-30-2006, 04:48 PM
"It is what it is."

Agree. This is one is terrible. Usually an athlete using "it is what it is" in lieu of a sincere mea culpa.

Also couldn't agree more on "just sayin'". Just annoyin'

The word "uber" as a prefix.

durl
08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
-Any phrase that includes the word "like" as a setup for the rest of the sentence.

- Most Sportscenter catch-phrases. (not that I watch it that much anymore.)

- "Living wage." - as if people die if they make anything below it.

Crash Davis
08-30-2006, 05:20 PM
"know what I'm sayin'?" Or the shortened form of "gnome-sayn?".

How could I forget the biggest offender: overuse of the pronoun "myself."

"Well, he was talkin' trash about myself..."

No he was talking trash about you, not your self.

It doesn't make you sound smarter not to use the word "me." In fact, it sounds like you skipped English class for 8 years, so you fell in line behind the other semi-educated athletes who use "myself" to fake their way through proper grammar.

Edit to add: "managing the game". He's not a great QB, but he manages the game well.

Also, "grow" as a verb. We can help grow your portfolio.

Falls City Beer
08-30-2006, 05:46 PM
"know what I'm sayin'?" Or the shortened form of "gnome-sayn?".

How could I forget the biggest offender: overuse of the pronoun "myself."

"Well, he was talkin' trash about myself..."

No he was talking trash about you, not your self.

It doesn't make you sound smarter not to use the word "me." In fact, it sounds like you skipped English class for 8 years, so you fell in line behind the other semi-educated athletes who use "myself" to fake their way through proper grammar.

Edit to add: "managing the game". He's not a great QB, but he manages the game well.

Also, "grow" as a verb. We can help grow your portfolio.

The reflexive "myself" should only be used in sentences such as "I taught myself to poop in the appropriate vessels."

But I find the "self" overrated as a human construct. I prefer the universal "we."

Ltlabner
08-30-2006, 06:15 PM

Opppsss......I'm completley guilty of this.

It's my Germanic heritiage yearning to burst forth and take things over.

Ltlabner
08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned.

" [fill in the blank person] says hi!" to refute a comment someone else made, or present an example of a contridictory outcome instead of the increadible exertion required to say/post/communicate a real and complete thought.

Highlifeman21
08-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned.

" [fill in the blank person] says hi!" to refute a comment someone else made, or present an example of a contridictory outcome instead of the increadible exertion required to say/post/communicate a real and complete thought.

This would eliminate 45.8% of all posts on here.

paintmered
08-30-2006, 11:05 PM

I'm guilty of this. :)

Rojo
08-30-2006, 11:18 PM
"It's not about the money."

Man, when you hear that one, you'd better grab your wallet.

Good one. My adjunct: when someone says, "Well, I work hard all day...." prepare yourself for a whopper of a rationalization.

"Well, I work hard all day and if I want to smoke crack naked in public library what's the harm?

Johnny Footstool
08-31-2006, 01:06 AM
Mine isn't really a phrase.

I hate it when you're speaking with someone and they end their sentences with "so..." instead of actually finishing their thought.

cincinnati chili
08-31-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't want to sound racist, but...

I don't mean to be a b-i-t-c-h, but...

Any of the the "I... but" combinations bug me. They're insincere.

BoydsOfSummer
08-31-2006, 04:04 AM
"You're certainly right about that,George."

BuckeyeRedleg
08-31-2006, 11:11 AM
"Why you gotta be hatin'?"
"Don't be hatin' the playa."
"You a hata."
"Show me love."

TeamCasey
08-31-2006, 02:06 PM
24/7

Crash Davis
08-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Using the word "so" like you're still a 25-year-old slavish devotee of the mid-90s episodes of Friends.

"I so wanted to go out with him..."

Terrible.

Ltlabner
08-31-2006, 08:10 PM
"You never know"

When it's used as some sort of catch-all response to imply that a highly unlikely scenario will happen in spite of all data, logic and common sense saying otherwise.

For example:
Dude #1: "Dude, there is no way you can jump off that building, flap your arms, and fly"

Dude #2: "You never know"

RedsBaron
08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
"Think about it." For some reason, it seems to me that a lot of letters to the editor in my local paper conclude with the sentence "Think about it." The writers of those letters apparently believe that readers will be too stupid to grasp the arguments set forth in the letters unless they are instructed to "Think about it."
Is it really necessary to include that phrase in a letter? Think about it.

redsrule2500
08-31-2006, 11:07 PM
"I'm not gonna lie" and "I could care less"

Oh and "BOOT SCOOTING IT DOWN THE LINE" ;)

i_heart_jason
09-01-2006, 01:20 AM
i hate when people say "no problem" instead of "you're welcome"

OSUmed2010
09-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Lately, I've been getting tired of "Reds lose"

RichRed
09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
"That's how they getcha."

"Don't go there."

"That'll work."

"This team really came to play."

Supposably.

BuckWoody
09-01-2006, 10:43 AM
After reading thorugh all of these I've come to the conclusion that I may be one of the most annoying people on the planet...über-annoying.

Just sayin'.

Highlifeman21
09-01-2006, 10:59 AM
"That's hot"

Crash Davis
09-01-2006, 11:25 AM
After reading thorugh all of these I've come to the conclusion that I may be one of the most annoying people on the planet...über-annoying.

Just sayin'.

:duel:

Rojo
09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
This might sound dumb but I hate the profuse use of the word "football" in NFL broadcasts. Seriously. Instead of just saying "the NFL" its always "the National Football League". And its never just a "ball" it's a "football -- "moving the football", "both sides of the football", etc...

danwl
09-01-2006, 04:50 PM
"win the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people."

or not.

Wait, I really meant to say "or not," but reading it now, it's pretty annoying, too.

Falls City Beer
09-02-2006, 12:13 AM
"With all due respect..."

It's an intellectually bankrupt expression.

Yachtzee
09-02-2006, 12:24 AM

Guilty as charged, considering my handle on other boards is "ueberj". By the way, the correct spelling would be "über," or "ueber" if you are too lazy to figure out the character code for it like I am.

I don't like it when people think it's cool or are just too lazy to say the full word and drop the last syllable(s) from the end. Examples include "vacay" for vacation and "refi" for refinancing.

Dom Heffner
09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
"I would never date someone I met in a bar."

Well- if you are at the bar as well, you are telling us to stay away from you, too.

Along the same lines: Dudes who say they will never stay with a girl who sleeps with them on the first date.

And where were you during the action? Watching in a soundproof room?

Dom Heffner
09-02-2006, 12:58 AM
"I can't believe..."

My lovely girlfriend does this all the time during Law and Order.

"I can't believe that guy ended up being the killer...."

Really? You can't believe it? After 9000 episodes of this show, there are no more surprises left.

Here's a hint: The murderer is always someone who is on the show that week.

The only time you can say "I can't believe it was such and such" on an episode of Law and Order is if they pulled Denver Pyle in at the last second and screamed, "It was Uncle Jessie!"

REDREAD
09-02-2006, 02:25 AM
I won't repeat the ones already mentioned, but I will add:

ASAP - usually does not mean "as soon as possible". It means "drop everything and do this". Usuallly delivered in a snotty tone.

"We're raising the bar" - just tell me I have more work to do and more hours to work, and I shouldn't expect any help. One former company said this all the time.

When you ask someone to prioritize 3-4 items, and they say "They are all #1 priority".. That's logically impossible.

"Be a team player".. fix someone else's screw up or pick up someone else's work that they didn't do.

"Dropped the ball"..

Crash Davis
09-03-2006, 04:01 PM
"Strawman"

Of course it's a strawman. And you just used one in pointing out your opponent's. How many debates/arguments have you seen that don't have use of a strawman?

Falls City Beer
09-03-2006, 06:12 PM
"Strawman"

Of course it's a strawman. And you just used one in pointing out his. How many debates/arguments have seen that don't have use of a strawman?

Strawman is often misapplied, but it's not a chimera; and if the someone pointing it out has not committed a strawman, he wields the ethos to point one out.

But I agree, most logical fallacies are misapplied or overapplied.

Falls City Beer
09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't like it when people think it's cool or are just too lazy to say the full word and drop the last syllable(s) from the end. Examples include "vacay" for vacation and "refi" for refinancing.

I think I'd rather be subjected to the Algerian Hook than listen to this protofeces.

paintmered
09-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't like it when people add an imaginary "'s" to the end of store names.

Ex: Kroger's instead of Kroger.

vaticanplum
09-03-2006, 07:14 PM
What's a strawman?

paintmered
09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
What's a strawman?

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/strawman.jpg

BoydsOfSummer
09-03-2006, 08:15 PM
What's a strawman?

Look up "BadFundementals" on the member list. :D

Ltlabner
09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
What's a strawman?

I'm sure if you exersize some "steely" determination you can uncover the answer to your question..... ;)

harangatang
09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
The phrase "you know" everytime Ryan Freel does an interview.

Ltlabner
09-03-2006, 10:04 PM
The phrase "you know" everytime Ryan Freel does an interview.

Has he beaten his own 55 "you know" record in a star-of-the-game report? That was a stellar performance!

vaticanplum
09-04-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm sure if you exersize some "steely" determination you can uncover the answer to your question..... ;)

I prefer Redszone commentary (and accompanying photos) to other sources.

TeamBoone
09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
"Mute" point. It's "moot".

WMR
09-05-2006, 04:52 PM
"You go girl!"

Crash Davis
09-07-2006, 01:51 AM
"In this day and age..."

Example #1: Paraphrasing Steve Phillips (or was it Steve Stone?) during the Reds broadcast today: Cal Ripken Jr.'s consecutive games played record will never be broken because of the way the game is played in this day and age.

Really? Ya think? Nobody is going to play 2500+ straight games? And I don't seem to remember anybody playing more consecutive games than Ripken back in the halcyon days of yore either. That's why he has the record.

Example #2: I don't know if you get this commercial in your area, but in Braves country, we get the following Chipper Jones commercial frequently. "I used to pretend that I was Steve Garvey from the right side and Kenny Landreaux from the left. In this day and age being a switch-hitter is a valuable commodity."

Really? In this day and age? Was it not valuable when Mickey Mantle was doing it? Or are we supposed to believe that switch-hitters were poppin' up all over the place back in the golden days because everybody worked so hard to get any advantage they could....whereas only a handful of throw-backs offer that valuable commodity in this day and age?

RichRed
09-07-2006, 11:35 AM
"At this point in time"

Redundant. If you simply say "at this point," no one's going to be confused, thinking you mean "at this point in hair" or "at this point in jelly."

Falls City Beer
09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
"At this point in time"

Redundant. If you simply say "at this point," no one's going to be confused, thinking you mean "at this point in hair" or "at this point in jelly."

How about just "now?"

It's a great word, "now." Three letters and everything's communicated.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I hate when people say "conversate" instead of converse.

Crash Davis
09-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Here's a fairly new one from the world of rotisserie sports. The use of "roster" as a verb.

i.e. I have Jamal Lewis as my starting running back, but I'm rostering Musa Smith in case of injury.

:bash:

REDREAD
09-08-2006, 07:15 PM
"You know what happens when you assume.. you make an *ss out of you and me."

I stopped using the word assume due to hearing that lame remark about 1000 times.