PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we'll make the playoffs?

REDREAD
08-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Do you think we'll make the playoffs?

alexad
08-31-2006, 07:01 AM
I just hope we make it back from the West Coast. If we get crushed by the Padres, I am thinking the Reds get on a plane and head into the Pacific Ocean and disappear forever.

We need a three game winning streak in the worst way. If we do not win all three against the Padres, I will have my flag on the pole ready to raise, and I am one of the biggest Reds fan in the world.

redsmetz
08-31-2006, 07:19 AM
Honestly, I don't know. We're beat up pretty badly and everyone else in the race seems to be getting hot at the right time. I'll just have to hope for the best. It's been an amazing season. I'd like to see a stronger finish.

Always Red
08-31-2006, 07:28 AM
It's almost over. Although with the wild card in the NL, you never know!:thumbup: There's always hope...

The Reds are pitching better, but just poorly enough to lose.

The hitting is just OK, but poor enough to lose.

The defense continues to resemble a chinese fire drill at times, and that's an insult to the Chinese. especially situational defense, IMO. Some guys just continue to lose focus, it seems, at just the wrong time. For instance, Maddux's safety squeeze last night to make it 4-1, Marty was upset- said the Reds looked surprised by it, when everyone else in the park knew it was coming. I didn't see it, so IDK for sure, just going by what Marty said.

The Reds sit at .500 right now. As much as I wanted to think this was going to be a fairytale year, it's not. This is a .500 club, which is what many, many folks here were hoping the Reds could get to this year.

There'll be plenty of blame to go around after the season is over- not enough moves by Kriv, too much tinkering by Kriv, if we'd have brought Homer up, we would have won it, Narron is a moron, Lopez/Kearns trade sunk this team, Bray/Maj sunk this team just by being here, the bullpen is full of gas cans, Griffey is old and slow, Dunn swings and misses too much, and can't play defense, Freel plays too hard, or not enough, or too much, Phillips should have been at SS, and on and on and on (I'm sure I missed something?). And the beauty of baseball is that there are little kernals of truth in all of it. But when the dust settles, and all of the numbers are down in black and white, those numbers will tell the tale of why this team did not reach it's goal this year. I'm looking forward to finding out why, so this team can improve itself to the next level for next year- I'm sick of the stinking Cardinals winning this division every year.

redsmetz
08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
There'll be plenty of blame to go around after the season is over

Why necessarily blame, particularly with the current FO and field management. Yeah, maybe some, but this club came in with its back to the wall. Maybe others here can can lend some historical perspective, but has there ever been a club who made such wholesale changes within a season and stayed in contention nearly to September?

I don't know how this season will play out, but it has exceeded my expectations and I see a bright future if we're given the chance to remake our system top to bottom, something that has been promised but not really undertaken.

I'll take congratulations for a good try and let's work to make the Reds one of the best organizations and teams in MLB.

Always Red
08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Why necessarily blame...

redsmetz, I agree with your post, totally.

There is always blame, for everything that does not work out. That's just the way the world is today, a fact of life. My post was partly tongue-in-cheek, as you and I know there will be plenty of blame laid right here, amongst the die hard Reds fans that frequent this board!

The Reds succeeded in keeping most of the town's interest, all the way up to the beginning of football season this year, that's a big improvement over years past.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes Castellini and the FO have in store this offseason, too:beerme:

REDREAD
08-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Wow, I voted no, but I expected more than 10% of the board to vote yes.

fewfirstchoice
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
My heart says yes but my brain says no.I would love for the Reds to make the playoffs.And you know what Im going with my heart and say yes.I believe the Reds turn it around and make the post season.

redsrule2500
08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm gonna say Yes.

We have the streaking capability to do it, so I think we can. We win 5 games in a row we are back in first, maybe even competing for the division again.

Then again, we could crash and burn from here on out - but I'm doubting it!!!

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
I voted yes but am not suprised at all over the outcome. People on here have been wanting the reds to blow it since contention was first mentioned. God forbid next year we are able to spend money in the off season then it will be real hard to keep reds fans negativity affloat. Whats really sad is that the homestand were the reds need the fans the most, alot of fans dont care any moreand wont be there. I for one will be upset if i miss a single game, already have tics for 6 games. Also for all of you who are quitting on the reds after this roadtrip to cheer on the bengals, your stadium is shaped like a womans private area, and i hope it collapses on you while im watching the reds in the playoffs. GO REDS AND BROWNS.

SarasotaReds27
08-31-2006, 10:34 PM
I say "yes" for now. Silly game this baseball is... and PLENTY of crazyness left to go around. Just as fast as you can the lead, you can get it back. Of course, you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone around here of that...

Always Red
08-31-2006, 10:37 PM
People on here have been wanting the reds to blow it since contention was first mentioned.
Wow, do you really believe that all these die-hard Reds fans on this forum want this team to fail?? I don't agree with all of them, but I do know that they ALL want this Reds team to win. A lot of us just have different ideas of how to get there.

Also for all of you who are quitting on the reds after this roadtrip to cheer on the bengals, your stadium is shaped like a womans private area, and i hope it collapses on you while im watching the reds in the playoffs. GO REDS AND BROWNS
That is just too bizarre, dude...:thumbdown

...and the Browns suck:mooner:

keeganbrick
08-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Sadly, I voted I dont know. I was hoping to see Homer Bailey on the Sept callup list even if we didnt use him that much. Not like we are going to use 2 pinch runners every game anyways. Maybe he just would of brought a boost to the team. But we do play the Padres 6 times in the next few weeks so its up to this team to rebound from this skid.

scounts22
08-31-2006, 11:13 PM
I voted with my heart and went with yes. I'm still hoping!!

Even if they don't make it, there were a lot of positive moves made this year and it at least gives me some hope for next year.

CTA513
08-31-2006, 11:17 PM
I voted yes but am not suprised at all over the outcome. People on here have been wanting the reds to blow it since contention was first mentioned. God forbid next year we are able to spend money in the off season then it will be real hard to keep reds fans negativity affloat. Whats really sad is that the homestand were the reds need the fans the most, alot of fans dont care any moreand wont be there. I for one will be upset if i miss a single game, already have tics for 6 games. Also for all of you who are quitting on the reds after this roadtrip to cheer on the bengals, your stadium is shaped like a womans private area, and i hope it collapses on you while im watching the reds in the playoffs. GO REDS AND BROWNS.

I can only hope this happens to you.

:beerme:

guttle11
08-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Sure, why not?

REDREAD
09-01-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't think anyone on this board is rooting for the Reds to fail. The "negative "crowd just gets frustrated and tries to figure out alternate courses of action that might've been better.

Outside of the occasional troll, why would someone spend time reading this board all year, on the hope that Reds would fail to make the playoffs? Seems like there'd be an easier way to get entertainment..

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-01-2006, 12:55 AM
I can only hope this happens to you.

:beerme:
Thought I would try controversial to get a few replies, not trying to upset anyone, but being a Browns fan in dayton is a hard gig. I didn't intend to imply that people on this site wanted the reds to lose, which I guess is the way it came out, I was just upset by the results of the poll. We are not out of it by any means, its just hard to look at a poll taken by reds fans that states by a large majority that you think your team will not make the playoffs. Myself, i am proud of what they have done so far, and thank we are all lucky that we get to watch meaningfull games this late in the season. Just yesterday I was thinking about how I wasn't nearly as excited for football to start this year, and it's because of the reds. The reds need you all to be loyal, blind, diehard we can beat anybody fans, and please buy tickets and get to the park, I'll wear my browns jersey and you all can kick the crap out of me for my previous post.

TOBTTReds
09-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Ask me a week ago, I say yes. If we win 2 of 3 vs. SD, I might say yes. They are soooo streaky, it is hard to predict.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-01-2006, 01:00 AM
One more thing, lets hear from some of the people who voted no, i only saw one no post. Whats the matter you don't want the RZ to know who you are.

CTA513
09-01-2006, 01:10 AM
One more thing, lets hear from some of the people who voted no, i only saw one no post. Whats the matter you don't want the RZ to know who you are.

Should all the people who voted yes post that they voted yes?

RadfordVA
09-01-2006, 01:30 AM
wow I cant believe that many people are doubting the reds chances. Yes its been a horrible week but thats just what it was a week. Remember it was just last Friday night that the reds were tied for the central lead. Its amazing how different this poll would have looked then. Who knows what next Friday will bring. Only in baseball can things turn this quickly, gotta love it. Or hate it depending on the week you've had.

jhiller21
09-01-2006, 03:21 AM
After this road trip, no... we just don't have a starting staff that can bounce back from a 6 game losing streak this late. On top of that our offense isn't the kind that can rescue a bad pitching staff this late in the season.

The mediocre NL this year has afforded us a chance to make the playoffs, but they failed to take advantage of it when it counted. It's nice to finish 2nd, but in a year where the Cards were so vulnerable, it's a shame we could'nt take advantage of it.