PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma

creek14
08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Not really a word you want to hear come from your Dr's mouth, but I heard it yesterday.

I really don't know much. I had some moles she biopsied and one came back positive for melanoma. The good news was it was "mild". The bad news is there were bad cells from edge to edge and the total depth of the sample, so the doc took a bigger chunk yesterday and they are going to biopsy that. If it is in that sample from edge to edge then I'll have to have surgery and they'll have to check my lymph nodes. If the edges come back clear, then we're done with that area. Of course, the doc going to go over me with a fine tooth comb. I've decided I'm just going to have her remove everything that isn't flat, I'm not going to take any chances.

So I didn't write this to get a bunch of "oh creek..." replies. This is my own fault, I've been a sun worshiper for years, now I'm paying the price. I just need to buck-up.

And I know the gloomy prognosis for melanoma - it ain't pretty. But I was just wondering if any of you know anyone who has had it and if they did okay when caught early.

Thanks.

letsgojunior
08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Wow - prayers being said for you creek. It sounds like you caught it early, which is a really good sign.

Red Leader
08-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Not really a word you want to hear come from your Dr's mouth, but I heard it yesterday.

I really don't know much. I had some moles she biopsied and one came back positive for melanoma. The good news was it was "mild". The bad news is there were bad cells from edge to edge and the total depth of the sample, so the doc took a bigger chunk yesterday and they are going to biopsy that. If it is in that sample from edge to edge then I'll have to have surgery and they'll have to check my lymph nodes. If the edges come back clear, then we're done with that area. Of course, the doc going to go over me with a fine tooth comb. I've decided I'm just going to have her remove everything that isn't flat, I'm not going to take any chances.

So I didn't write this to get a bunch of "oh creek..." replies. This is my own fault, I've been a sun worshiper for years, now I'm paying the price. I just need to buck-up.

And I know the gloomy prognosis for melanoma - it ain't pretty. But I was just wondering if any of you know anyone who has had it and if they did okay when caught early.

Thanks.

I've never had it, but my Mom had a situation similar to yours. They removed the "bad" spot she had and has never had a problem since. They caught hers early. That was about 10 years ago. As always, if you need me for anything during this process, please don't hesistate to PM me and ask.

Hang in there. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

Roy Tucker
08-31-2006, 10:50 AM
My dad had a similar thing. He had gotten the mother of all sunburns on a Pacific island (Roi-Namur) as a Marine in WWII and it came back to get him.

He had 2 different surgeries where, as he put it, "they a took a pretty big chunk of meat out of my back". Each time it was melanoma and each time the docs got the whole thing.

He eventually died of liver cancer about 5-6 years after these surgeries but it was totally unrelated to the melanoma (and more the bottle of Canadian Club a day habit).

Good thoughts being beamed your way.

RedsBaron
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Prayers have been, and will continue to be, said.

RedsFan75
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Creek, my pastor just underwent the same process recently, so I understand the angst!

No one wants to hear the "C" word at any time...

Definate Prayers!

minus5
08-31-2006, 11:31 AM
My sister had the same thing happen to her about 6-7 years ago. She's fine. Best of luck and prayers to you.

dabvu2498
08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
My mom has dealt with melanoma for a while (8-10 years now off and on). She's been helped by having a great doctor and an even better plastic surgeon (some of her issues were on the face and neck). She's come to accept long pants, long sleeves, and goofy hats anytime she's going to be outside.

GAC
08-31-2006, 11:42 AM
You're in our families prayers creek.

RANDY IN INDY
08-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Just sent up a prayer for you, creek. I will continue to pray for you.

bucksfan
08-31-2006, 12:05 PM
creek - You are in our prayers as well. I am sure things will be fine with catching it early and all. My wife and I both have had spots cut out over the past year. I had never used much sunscreen at all until the recent awareness raising. Now I am being much more diligent.

Chip R
08-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Creek, my 95 year old grandfather has had to have several of these cut out over the past few years. Even for 95 he's pretty frail and he's about as active as can be for a person of his age. I'll be thinking of you, creek.

redsmetz
08-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Creek, my wife had this some years ago and they got it all. This was after her doctor said it didn't look like anything, as did the surgeon, but they took it off and we're glad they did. It was melanoma. She had more removed (on our anniversary no less!) and she's been cancer free since. She goes back to a dermatologist about once a year to have things checked and she's now extremely careful about covering up in the sun, sunscreen etc.

We'll keep you in our prayers. Good luck!

deltachi8
08-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Thinking of you creek!

RedFanAlways1966
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
creek... I am sure all will be fine in the end. My older brother was a sun-worshipper for many years too. He had the same thing happen to him about 5 years ago and had it all surgically removed. He is just fine and makes sure that he is always protected from the sun these days.

Stay positive! :)

creek14
08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks to everyone. It's good to hear some good stories. The first thing one person said to me was "oh that's what killed Maureen Reagan." Gee thanks for that...

I am in this cycle of shock, dismay, anger, and then just making jokes about it.

I'm flying into D.C on 11 Sep. Now I am flying into D.C. on 11 Sep with cancer. What ya want to bet a black cat crosses my path and I break a mirror that morning. I'll probably have to walk under a ladder to get in the airport. I feel like I could join the Reds bullpen.

Thanks again.

cumberlandreds
08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Best of luck to you! I'm sure you will be fine. Here is an article I just saw on advancement of gene therapy for Melanoma patients. Seems as they are making great strides in wiping this cancer out. I hope it will make you feel some better.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=106&sid=898780

KronoRed
08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Prayers and good thoughts Creek, my mother recently heard the same words from her Doctor, but so far they think they got it all and she's doing great :)

Redsland
08-31-2006, 03:37 PM
You're in my thoughts, darling. :(

08-31-2006, 05:44 PM
My grandfather had a melanoma about 25 years ago. On fis head- they had to do some reconstructive surgery and he looked a bit odd for a while, but he is almost 100 now and is fine. Think positive!

RFS62
08-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Creek, you're in our prayers. Stay strong.

cincyinco
08-31-2006, 08:51 PM

Thanks.

My fiance, who just turned 25 a few days ago, was diagnosed with melenoma(which was spreading through lymphnods - at least thats my understanding.. she's more "scientific" about the termanology and exact stuff that went on) and basil a couple years ago, just after we found out she was pregnant. She started treatment after the pregnancy, and had to undergo 6 hour chemo treatements every other day, for about 9 weeks. It was very serious and very agressive treatements, but she made it through everything okay and I'm sure you will too.

It was really tough on her, but she's a fighter. Tough on me too, and I was just a bystander. I'm sorry, I don't have too much advice to give - other than educate yourself as much as possible(which it seems you are trying to do..) main thing is that this is beatable. Keep your chin up - form yourself a good support base of family and friends for times when you need someone to lean on - and fight!

God bless you and yours Creek.

GAC
09-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Believe it or not, this article was on the front page of the Bellefontaine Examiner last night....

Scientists Turn Immune Cells Into Tumor Fighters To Treat Melanoma

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=102845

MikeS21
09-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Creek,

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay positive. As others have said, if it's caught early, more often than not, it is successfully treated.

Edskin
09-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Creek-- Prayers go out, keep well.

wally post
09-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Creek, I have a friend that had quite an advanced case of melanoma and he has survived. If you want details, I'll hook you two up or else get more detailed information on his course of healing. email me at drumpike@verizon.net and put your name in the title.

Also, check out Donald Yance NOW. He is the leading cat to see if you are at all playing with cancer. the best thing is... you don't have to see him. you do interviews over the phone. He has saved my wife and many other friends with herbal stuff. If you end up having to go through an aggressive treatment, he can help it mka eyou less sick and be more effective.

http://www.centrehealing.com/Bios/DYance.html

That's his bio from his site - but check it out, please... for yourself and your loved ones. He's the man!

good luck,
BW

wally post
09-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks to everyone. It's good to hear some good stories. The first thing one person said to me was "oh that's what killed Maureen Reagan." Gee thanks for that...

I am in this cycle of shock, dismay, anger, and then just making jokes about it.

I'm flying into D.C on 11 Sep. Now I am flying into D.C. on 11 Sep with cancer. What ya want to bet a black cat crosses my path and I break a mirror that morning. I'll probably have to walk under a ladder to get in the airport. I feel like I could join the Reds bullpen.

Thanks again.

the way I see it is... we all (each of us) actually have cancer. It is a matter of not allowing it to bloom. Maybe that an ignorant statement... but I believe it and perhaps it feels less invasive to you to see it that way.:thumbup:

SirFelixCat
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
creek, I am so sorry to hear this. You're in my prayers.

That being said, glad you/they found it early. :thumbup:

Please read this part:

My mom had the same thing and was fine, or so we thought. Over the years she got screened, from the neck down, and they never found anything else. What they missed was a tumor in her head which eventually killed her, almost 3 years ago.

So please, after this, get screened and make sure they go head to toe.

Good luck and keep your chin up!!!:thumbup:

RBA
09-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Creek, you'll beat this. You're a stong person.

i_heart_jason
09-02-2006, 09:09 PM
if cancer had a butt, i'm sure creek would kick it.

Edskin
09-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Creek-- I just did a google search for "melanoma survival stories"

Lots of good stuff in there. Keep your chin up :)

zombielady
09-08-2006, 02:01 PM
My mom had melanoma in 1986. She survived. Positive attitude is the key!

gilpdawg
09-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Best wishes to you Creek. I've got experience with melanoma, as my father had it.

creek14
01-08-2007, 08:01 AM
This morning I found a lump on my neck. I am totally freaked out. The Dr's office doesn't open until 0830 and I think the clock is frozen.

There is a struggle going on in my brain right now between "it's nothing, probably just left over fat" to "you are so dead." "You are so dead" is winning.

GAC
01-08-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm praying for you creek. Hang tough sister - I know you will.

RANDY IN INDY
01-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Praying for you, creek.

Bob Borkowski
01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm praying too.

Please, please keep us posted.

Yachtzee
01-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Stay strong, creek.

Team Clark
01-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Praying for you too. Tell Adam to stop giving you Hickey's in that spot...

paintmered
01-08-2007, 08:43 AM
You have my prayers, Creek.

Chip R
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
:pray: Hopefully it's nothing, creek, but you're in my prayers.

Roy Tucker
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Stay strong creek, take it one thing at a time. I got lumps all over me. I resemble a beanbag.

Prayers and good thoughts getting beamed your way.

01-08-2007, 09:20 AM
You are in my thoughts. Stay tough.

Redsland
01-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm thinking of you, creek.

SunDeck
01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Creek,
I know three people who had it and all of them are doing fine today. You will be the fourth.
Best wishes.

redsfan4445
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Creek, your in my prayers too.. think positive. you have many people here on redszone praying for you...;) you keep your chin up and know we are thinking about you..

hugs

sammonator
01-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Creek, I was diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma 10 years ago. I had to go to outpatient surgery to get rid of it. It was a pretty bad case-- they called it superficial spreading. I was 26 years old. It scared me to death. I had a place cut out of my back and now I have a big Z on my back. I have to go back to the doctor every 6 months to let him check me out. But I still think something is always wrong with me. Whenever I see a little lump or a mole that looks funny, I think the worst. I never ever worried about stuff like that until I was diagnosed. Now it is a constant worry, a worry that I guess I just have to live with. But so far, everything has turned out clear for me and I hope that everything will be fine for you as well. But I definitely know where you are coming from. I feel the same way. I am praying for you.

bucksfan
01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Praying for you, creek.

RFS62
01-08-2007, 12:20 PM
You're in my prayers, my friend.

RedFanAlways1966
01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Hang tough, creek. All's well that ends well... and I know that will be the case for you!

creek14
01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Well they got me in to see the Dr pretty fast. She said it's "probably nothing" but due to the recent events, they are going to do a needle biopsy just to be sure.

I don't like the words "needle" or "biopsy", but I'd rather make sure the "probably nothing" really is nothing.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. They seem to be working very well.

Larkin Fan
01-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Creek, this is the first I've heard about this. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

Sounds like your doc is being cautious. That's the best way to be.

Bob Borkowski
01-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey Creek, we haven't heard anything lately from you on this.

Can we assume that the biopsy turned out OK?

Red in Chicago
01-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Creek,
I hope all is working out for you. Being that you have first hand experience with this, can you describe what your mole looked / felt like? I'm not trying to be gross, but maybe your "symptoms / signs" can help others who might be worried about a mole they may have.

Keep us posted on your progress. Best wishes.

creek14
01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Actually, they haven't done the biopsy yet. I have been sick, taking antibiotics, so they want to wait.

As far as what they two places looked like - they looked normal. That's the really bad thing.

I had a couple moles on my back that I wanted removed for vanity reasons. The Dr took them off then remarked that I had a lot of freckles. She said that a few were a little larger and slightly raised so did I want her to shave them down. Well they didn't bother me, but I said sure.

It's her SOP to biopsy everything she removes. The moles were clean, but the shaved freckles were the bad ones. They didn't look like the typical skin cancer spots that you see pictures of. In fact, she was shocked that they were positive. That's when they had to go deeper to get clean cells and when she decided to slice and dice a lot of my freckles.

I am going to go see her this week because one of the original areas she removed has grown back bigger than it was before. Of course that has me a little (lot) worried, especially with the throat/gland thing.

Thanks for asking.

Sweetstop
01-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Best of luck. I know not knowing is scaring the hell out of you.

Edskin
01-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey Creek, just checkin' in again to wish you the best. Like Sweetstop mentioned, the waiting is the worst part of all. Hopefully, it's nothing. Keep your chin up!

creek14
01-31-2007, 11:15 AM
So the latest slice and dice came back negative. Whew.

I have one more hurdle to cross that involves a surgery, but I think it will be okay. Just trying to get all of this done asap so I can go to ST. After the past few months, I think I've earned it. :cool: :)

VR
01-31-2007, 11:21 AM
So the latest slice and dice came back negative. Whew.

I have one more hurdle to cross that involves a surgery, but I think it will be okay. Just trying to get all of this done asap so I can go to ST. After the past few months, I think I've earned it. :cool: :)

Great news Creek, good to see you still have clarity in your priorities. ;)

I hope your physical ailments are healed, and also your frame of mind.

bucksfan
01-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Fantastic news, creek! :jump:

paintmered
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Creek, that's wonderful news! :)

gonelong
01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Good news!

Redsland
01-31-2007, 12:15 PM
:party:

flyer85
01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Great news.

I'm sure Adam would be disappointed if you aren't there to cheer him on, or hold his towel, or whatever ...

Heath
01-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Nice! Glad to hear it.

Now....a nice little heat-seeking missile to the "new neighbor" ... and it's happy days are here again!

:D

flyer85
01-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Now....a nice little heat-seeking missile to the "new neighbor" ... or lure him into the woods with that cheerleaders outfit and then Maxwells Silver Hammer ...

Chip R
01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Excellent news, Creek!

RedsFan75
01-31-2007, 02:47 PM
:party: :dancingco Congrats... Great news

Roy Tucker
01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Glad to hear this news. Most excellent young creek :thumbup:

Edskin
01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
I have one more hurdle to cross that involves a surgery, but I think it will be okay. Just trying to get all of this done asap so I can go to ST. After the past few months, I think I've earned it.

If you've dodged the "Big C" hurdle, why would you want to go watch the Reds and subject yourself to heart failure???

pedro
01-31-2007, 04:10 PM
that's great creek.

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
An answer to prayers. I'm really happy for the news! Now, get down south and enjoy this spring!

SandyD
01-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Great news, creek. And you certainly deserve a ST vacation. Maybe even an extra week, maybe ... ;)

Good to see ya posting, too.

RFS62
01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Wonderful news, Creeky.

:beerme:

GAC
01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
That is excellent news creek. I know you and the family have to be relieved.

RedsBaron
01-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Great news Creek!:jump: :party: :thumbup: Enjoy yourself.

Ravenlord
02-01-2007, 02:48 AM
:)

Sea Ray
02-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Great news. Now give us one more "good news" post after your next surgery. :)

creek14
05-31-2007, 03:20 PM
So I thought this chapter had closed, but life has a way of showing us who's really the boss.

I got the results of a CT scan today that suggests I have either lymphoma or a metastastic cancer in my lymph system.

I'm telling you, if it isn't one thing...

I'm once again freaked, but strangly calm at the same time. I'm of the mind that what is, is, and worrying about it won't change it.

Now I am waiting for the appt with the surgeon, the biopsy, and those results.

Hurry up and wait. Sigh.

danken12
05-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Good luck to you, and I hope all that you don't have a major setback. Keep fighting and remain positive. It's the only thing that you can do.

Red Leader
05-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Keep your chin up and smile and take each day one at a time. Some days will be good and some days will be challenging, but all days are days nonetheless and over time you'll get through this. Best of luck to you and we love you, creek. If you need anything, just ask.

RichRed
05-31-2007, 03:44 PM
My thoughts are with you, creek. Keep up the fight.

Chip R
05-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with you, creek.

RFS62
05-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Our prayers are with you Creek.

TeamCasey
05-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Kick it's ass, Lady!

If anyone can fight it, you can.

I know you and I have our differences but I sincerely wish you well.

RosieRed
05-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Best wishes Creek.

Roy Tucker
05-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Heartfelt prayers and good thoughts getting beamed your way...

Kick its ass and make it call for its momma creek.

Edskin
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Creek--

I've mentioned it before, my Mom battled cancer twice and is now cancer free. One thing she ALWAYS did was laugh. Laugh at the cancer, laugh at yourself, laugh at your doctors, etc.... of course there will be darker moments that aren't very "funny," but laugh whenever you can. My thoughts are with you.

Puffy
05-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Creek - thoughts and prayers.

letsgojunior
05-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Thoughts and prayers here as well creek.

KronoRed
05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
More prayers creek, you can beat this.

paintmered
05-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Hang in there, Creek. Prayers and positive vibes are headed your way.

Larkin Fan
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
You're in my thoughts and prayers, creek. You can and will get through this.

OldRightHander
05-31-2007, 11:58 PM
I'll be praying too. You can whip this.

BuckWoody
06-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Stay strong and stay positive, creek...you will win. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

creek14
06-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks guy. Really.

You know, when you hear/read about things like ORH's friends and the deaths of 14 year olds, you feel silly that you're worried about your mortality at 51.

But I haven't kicked anyone's :mooner: in a while (at least a day or two...) so if this turns out to be some sort of cancer, I might as well kick it. :bash:

RANDY IN INDY
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
You know I'll be praying for you, creek. Stay positive and beat this thing.

Dom Heffner
06-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Just now saw this.

You know I'm pulling for you, Miss Creek.

Hang in there. :)

RedsBaron
06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Creek-you are my thoughts and prayers.