PDA

View Full Version : travis wood slinging bagels

texasdave
08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Travis Wood with back-to-back excellent outings. In his last 13 innings he has given up only 4 hits 0 runs 0 earned runs 6 walks and 10 strikeouts. :beerme:

Superdude
08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
I just watched him pitch on TWTV on demand today. I think if you called him up today as a 19 year old, his changeup would have to rank among the best in the game. He may need to work on consistency a little bit, but that pitch just floats over the plate a second longer than you think physics would allow. Add a nasty drop at the end and you end up with a whole bunch of pathetically horrible swings.

If you watch the 8/12 game, he throws 1 curveball that has a very sharp 1-7 break. That shows you how raw it is when I only saw one the entire game that I would consider a good curveball, but I still believe that's going to be an above average pitch on day.

tbball10
08-31-2006, 06:38 PM
what was he hitting on the radar gun?

Aronchis
08-31-2006, 07:38 PM
That week off really helped Wood......alot.

RedsFanatic
08-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Better prospect. Wood or Cueto?

ochoa30
08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
It is a tossup between the too. Wood a little younger, cueto a little further a long. They both could be great.

Aronchis
08-31-2006, 07:52 PM

Wood. Better pitch and athlete. From a mechanical standpoint, Cueto is ahead of Wood. Wood's ability to repeat his delivery isn't there yet, though it is a rather simple one so the Reds gave him a 133I ride, which worries me a little. Hopefully he isn't feeling it.

RedsFanatic
08-31-2006, 08:12 PM
I haven't read much about Cueto, other than his low to mid 90's heater. What other pitches does he throw. I know Travis has a change that is already a 70 (on the 20-80).

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2006, 08:17 PM
I haven't read much about Cueto, other than his low to mid 90's heater. What other pitches does he throw. I know Travis has a change that is already a 70 (on the 20-80).

I've heard numerous announcers say that Cueto has three very good pitches - fastball, change, and either a slider or curve.

FIRELEFT
09-05-2006, 06:10 PM
T. Wood last 20 IP ERA 0.45

lollipopcurve
09-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I like Wood over Cueto at the moment. Something tells me Johnny will wind up in the pen. No that there's anything wrong with that.

Superdude
09-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Something tells me Johnny will wind up in the pen.

Was Calvin Medlock telling you that?

No that there's anything wrong with that.

There is a lot wrong with that.

JohnnyAlmaraz
09-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Was Calvin Medlock telling you that?

There is a lot wrong with that.

Superdude, you can't quit smoking the J long enough to realize that it's all about how tall you are, can you?

rah-ri
09-06-2006, 03:36 PM
one run in three games.......yep....wood's good! I have images in my head of Wood and Arroyo standin side by side in a Reds Team photo. Just would love to know what year will printed on that pic!

Superdude
09-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Superdude, you can't quit smoking the J long enough to realize that it's all about how tall you are, can you?

It's got me all messed up. :cry:

BuckeyeRedleg
09-06-2006, 11:48 PM

I'll take the younger lefty anyday.

Wood.

Joseph
09-07-2006, 04:50 PM
AA next year?

RedsFanatic
09-07-2006, 04:57 PM
No. I don't think he is ready and I don't think it is smart to push someone that small that hard.

FIRELEFT
09-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Half high A half AA

TeamSelig
09-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Half AA, Half MLB.

kidding

dougdirt
09-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Selig, you had me scared for a second there. Trickster.

johngalt
09-08-2006, 12:15 AM
AA next year?

Let him spend a whole year in the FSL, where he should be able to dominate given the league and his abilities. Then you can put him in AA to start 2008 and then you can start talking about moving him up faster. I'm a big proponent of spending full seasons at the High A and Low A levels. Once you make it through there unscathed, then you can talk about speeding things up.

Doc. Scott
09-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Let him spend a whole year in the FSL, where he should be able to dominate given the league and his abilities. Then you can put him in AA to start 2008 and then you can start talking about moving him up faster. I'm a big proponent of spending full seasons at the High A and Low A levels. Once you make it through there unscathed, then you can talk about speeding things up.

The Reds should be giving all of their best pitching prospects a full season at Sarasota. The pitching-heavy FSL helps confidence and improves stat lines; the former's good for development and the latter's good for when you're looking to deal minor-league talent to help you up top. Because that's the second primary purpose of a strong minor-league system and all.

WebScorpion
09-15-2006, 10:15 AM
one run in three games.......yep....wood's good! I have images in my head of Wood and Arroyo standin side by side in a Reds Team photo. Just would love to know what year will printed on that pic!

I get that same image, only I see Arroyo, Bailey, Wood, Cueto, and a fifth guy whose face is sorta fuzzy...maybe Josh Ravin or Sean Watson...anyway, they're all posing with a baseball in each of their pitching hands (two-seamer grip) on the cover of SI and it says, "The New Red Machine". I know it's a dream, but it looks sooo real... ;)

NJReds
09-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I get that same image, only I see Arroyo, Bailey, Wood, Cueto, and a fifth guy whose face is sorta fuzzy...maybe Josh Ravin or Sean Watson...anyway, they're all posing with a baseball in each of their pitching hands (two-seamer grip) on the cover of SI and it says, "The New Red Machine". I know it's a dream, but it looks sooo real... ;)

Lets stay away from SI Nicknames...

Dubbed “Generation K”, the tandem of Jason Isringhausen, Paul Wilson and Bill Pulsipher were suppose to make Mets fans recall the days of Seaver, Koosman and Ryan