PDA

View Full Version : Enough Katie Couric, enough Bob Shieffer, enough CBS!

Wheelhouse
09-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Who cares about this "passing of the torch". What a bunch of BS--CBS is a news CORPORATION, interested in generating profits for its shareholders like any other corporation. What is all this hype about Couric? Do they think we're that stupid?

RedsBaron
09-01-2006, 06:42 AM
What is all this hype about Couric? Do they think we're that stupid?

Yes

KittyDuran
09-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Who cares about this "passing of the torch". What a bunch of BS--CBS is a news CORPORATION, interested in generating profits for its shareholders like any other corporation. What is all this hype about Couric? Do they think we're that stupid?Then quit reading the Drudge Report...:devil: [you'd think that was the only thing going on in the world :rolleyes:]

RedFanAlways1966
09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Katie who? Is she on one of those Network channels!??! ;)

Reds4Life
09-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Network news is dead anyway, has been for years. I don't know anyone that watches it anymore.

Dom Heffner
09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
The hype buys 4 moths of ratings. She'll kill through December, if that.

RBA
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Then quit reading the Drudge Report...:devil: [you'd think that was the only thing going on in the world :rolleyes:]

You nailed it! Don't go to the Drudge Report for your news. The only place I seen anything about it is link(s) on the Drudge Report.

Myself, I given up on CORPORATE News.

creek14
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
The hype buys 4 moths of ratings.
A moth splattered on my windshield last night.

KittyDuran
09-01-2006, 02:52 PM
You nailed it! Don't go to the Drudge Report for your news. The only place I seen anything about it is link(s) on the Drudge Report.

Myself, I given up on CORPORATE News.Unfortunately, reading Drudge is a guilty pleasure of mine. :redface: Where else would I read about Boy George doing community service...? I didn't know he was still alive! :evil:

KittyDuran
09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Network news is dead anyway, has been for years. I don't know anyone that watches it anymore.I hardly ever watch the big networks. My viewing consists of FSN (Reds only), TLC, HGTV, Food Network, History Channel (also International), Science Channel, TCM, and the various music networks when something interesting is on.

flyer85
09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
When did Cronkite retire?

gonelong
09-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I used to watch the evening news and read 2 newspapers a day. I've given them both up ... I haven't watch more than 20 minutes of news combined in the last 2-3 years and I don't receive any newspapers at home anymore.

Much happier ... maybe ignorance is bliss.

GL

RFS62
09-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I used to watch the evening news and read 2 newspapers a day. I've given them both up ... I haven't watch more than 20 minutes of news combined in the last 2-3 years and I don't receive any newspapers at home anymore.

Much happier ... maybe ignorance is bliss.

GL

Yep, I was the same way.

Speaking of "ignorance is bliss", now I get all my news from Dom and GAC.

Sweetstop
09-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Huffington Post is the right-thinking (that means left-leaning) version of Drudge.:)

It's hard to believe that it's 2006, and Katie Couric is the first anchor-on-her-own woman on network news. No wonder dinosaur metaphors are appropriate for the networks.

She should be given a chance for that reason alone.

Ltlabner
09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Huffington Post is the right-thinking (that means left-leaning) version of Drudge.:)

It's hard to believe that it's 2006, and Katie Couric is the first anchor-on-her-own woman on network news. No wonder dinosaur metaphors are appropriate for the networks.

She should be given a chance for that reason alone.

I thought Connie Chung was a solo-anchor on her own for a while ?

flyer85
09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Where's Baba Wawa these days?

Sweetstop
09-01-2006, 04:04 PM

You could be right.

GAC
09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
When did Cronkite retire?

He didn't. They just turned the camera off and unplugged his mike. He's still chiming away. ;)

GAC
09-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Yep, I was the same way.

Speaking of "ignorance is bliss", now I get all my news from Dom and GAC.

I must be the bliss part then. :evil:

I get the majority of my news from the Bellefontaine Examiner. The news is usually 2-3 days old, and that extra time will really help when they drop the bomb on us! ;)

Ltlabner
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM

Anybody else find is sweetly ironic that the three anchors who reminded us nightly about how unfair that life is for everybody and how the world is controlled by rich, white men and that it's a bad thing to earn a lot of money....were rich, white men who held onto the jobs for years and years and prevented any minorities from a shot at network news anchorship?

But as Reds4Life said, the tradional media formats are dead/dieing. You can argue over the cause but how we get news has changed dramatically since the time when all you had to do was watch the network news and read your local paper.

Unassisted
09-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Only on weekends. She co-anchored with Dan Rather briefly.

As wikipedia says "on June 1, 1993, she became the second woman (after Barbara Walters) to co-anchor a major network’s national news broadcast (with CBS). While hosting the CBS Evening News, Chung also hosted a side project on CBS, Eye to Eye with Connie Chung. After her unsuccessful co-anchoring stint with Dan Rather ended in 1995,..."

We DVR the CBS Evening News at our house, since it's on the same channel as our favorite local news. I was never a big Dan Rather fan, but I like Bob Schieffer very much. I dislike Katie Couric enough that I'm probably going to break the CBS habit and switch to ABC.

I question the premise of the thread, as I don't think as big a deal has been made about this transition as was made about any of the other network anchor changes in the last two years. I couldn't stand Tom Brokaw and I was plenty ready for him to go when the time came. The circumstances of Dan Rather's and Peter Jennings' departures from their jobs generated a lot more news than this has. I don't even think that Drudge has done as much with this transition as he did with those of Rather and Jennings.

RedFanAlways1966
09-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Way to improve the credibility-thing, CBS! As if accepting false documents as truth in an election year wasn't bad enough (bad enough to force them to replace Dan!).

Katie Couric Doctored Photo Diet

Katie Couric has lost 20-25 pounds with the assistance of a computer and without having to work out. Katie Couric is set for her new CBS anchor debut and she made quite the splash with her photoshopped weight loss plan.

The CBS blog offers up this excuse - uh explanation:

Considering it appeared in a promotional magazine for the network, the fact someone at CBS apparently decided to touch up a photo of incoming anchor Katie Couric to make her look a little smaller isn’t the biggest scandal in journalism. Forgive us for not obsessing over it. Still, it’s not something that looks particularly good for a news organization.

CBS News says it was done without the knowledge of Couric or the network.

Sweetstop
09-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Way to improve the credibility-thing, CBS! As if accepting false documents as truth in an election year wasn't bad enough (bad enough to force them to replace Dan!).

Katie Couric Doctored Photo Diet

Katie Couric has lost 20-25 pounds with the assistance of a computer and without having to work out. Katie Couric is set for her new CBS anchor debut and she made quite the splash with her photoshopped weight loss plan.

The CBS blog offers up this excuse - uh explanation:

Considering it appeared in a promotional magazine for the network, the fact someone at CBS apparently decided to touch up a photo of incoming anchor Katie Couric to make her look a little smaller isnít the biggest scandal in journalism. Forgive us for not obsessing over it. Still, itís not something that looks particularly good for a news organization.

CBS News says it was done without the knowledge of Couric or the network.

Yeah, this definitely makes that "important things happening in the world" list. Geez! :rolleyes:

RedFanAlways1966
09-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah, this definitely makes that "important things happening in the world" list. Geez! :rolleyes:

Read the thread title, Sweetstop. It mentions some lady named Couric. Did you miss that? Do you read the newspaper? See if there is mention in your paper (if you read it) about this. There was in mine (Dayton Daily News). I guess my local rag found it newsworthy. But perhaps they should check with you first?

Is baseball an "important thing happening in the world" in your world? If so, then I understand you better. Show me the rule here that says we can only post things that are ""important things happening in the world" to Sweetstop.

Do you understand why it is important for news orgs. to have credibility?

Have a nice day, Sweetie! :)

KittyDuran
09-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Read the thread title, Sweetstop. It mentions some lady named Couric. Did you miss that? Do you read the newspaper? See if there is mention in your paper (if you read it) about this. There was in mine (Dayton Daily News). I guess my local rag found it newsworthy. But perhaps they should check with you first?

Is baseball an "important thing happening in the world" in your world? If so, then I understand you better. Show me the rule here that says we can only post things that are ""important things happening in the world" to Sweetstop.

Have a nice day, Sweetie! :)But Drudge got the scoop... plus Rosie's! :p:

Sweetstop
09-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Have a nice day, Sweetie! :)

I wasn't talking about your posting the subject. I was talking about the whole subject itself in the scheme of things. And, yes, I read the newspaper and, yes, I think a news org. credibility is important. Didn't mean to raise your blood pressure, RFA.:) Have a good holiday weekend.

RedsBaron
09-02-2006, 05:34 PM
I just wish there was a way to do for me in real life what was done to Couric's photo.;)

RBA
09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
The thin Katie does look good.

RedFanAlways1966
09-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I wasn't talking about your posting the subject. I was talking about the whole subject itself in the scheme of things. And, yes, I read the newspaper and, yes, I think a news org. credibility is important. Didn't mean to raise your blood pressure, RFA.:) Have a good holiday weekend.

My apologies, Sweetstop. I guess I felt you were calling my post out w/ your post since you used it as a quote and gave it the ol' roll-eye smilie... and my post was about the 22nd one on this thread and the 1st one that you quoted and rollie-eyed.

It is a common thing in "Hollywood", but not for primetime newscasters. News organizations usually strive for credibility and when something like this is relative to a news org., it usually doesn't help their credibility. In the grand scheme of things it has nothing to do w/ news. Like it or not, "looks" can bring more viewers and CBS obviously knows this considering the business they do. CBS (in my opinion) knew what was going on and have probably done it hundreds (thousands?) of times with primetime stars (male & female) like NBC, ABC & Fox. But when it is done to a newscaster, then questions get asked. Also credibilty, a problem in recent times for CBS News, gets brought to the forefront. Fair and overblown? Probably not fair, probably overblown... but this isn't Charlie's Angels or NYPD Blue. That is what makes it a story. No one, but People magazine and the like, care about Photoshop weight-loss for the Hollywood crowd. People start questioning these things when it is a newscaster... and CBS is the one who probably needs to understand this more at this time with the recent problem during the 2004 election. Then it becomes another story when they deny knowing anything about it... they (more Mr. Rather and the producer of that story) also denied that the false papers in the election-thing were bogus. It just doesn't do much for the credibilty thing... fair or not.

Let's not beat around the bush though... sex sells. Nothing "sexual" here, but a nice looking lady will not hurt the ratings (see the boatload of female newscasters on any one of the numerous cable news outlets). CBS knows this and got caught chopping weight off of their new star.

BTW... I agree with RBA. I think the Photoshopped Katie looks pretty good! :devil:

KittyDuran
09-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I just wish there was a way to do for me in real life what was done to Couric's photo.;)Here, here! I'm in my second day of a juice fast...:eek:

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
i wish the media in general but The Drudge Report would stop giving us an hourly Katie Couric update..Hey media and Drudge--NOBODY CARES PLEASE STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unassisted
09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
i wish the media in general but The Drudge Report would stop giving us an hourly Katie Couric update..Hey media and Drudge--NOBODY CARES PLEASE STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drudge used to work at CBS. It's the network where he has the most inside sources. That's why he covered Dan Rather's departure like a blanket. That's why he talks so much about what's happening there now.