PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time To Raise The Mound?

redsmetz
09-01-2006, 08:43 AM
With all the talk around the board about woeful pitching and how the Reds will never get a top line pitcher to come pitch at GABP, it occurred to me that with the onset of so many new parks, many of them the proverbial "bandbox" park, I wonder if it's time to return the mound the height it was up until 1968.

Here's an argument I found on a Sporting News board:

Happened to catch Tim McCarver going on during Saturday's GOTW about how it's time to raise the pitcher's mound to tilt the balance of power back toward the pitcher a bit. Though I'm not prone to take much Timmy Mac says to heart, I thought that this idea might actually have some merit. Then again, I'd just as soon watch a 1-0 pitchers' duel as a 15-13 slugfest.....so I thought I'd give it a look.

In 1968, the NL ERA was 2.99. That's right - two point ninety-nine. MLB decided to lower the mound from 15 to 10 inches...and the league ERA shot up to 3.60 the next year. The NL ERA hasn't been below 4.00 since 1992. What I found interesting, though, was that for the years between 1970 and 1992 the league ERA had been generally in the mid-upper 3.00's (a low of 3.45 and a high of 4.08....which was pretty much where it had been in the years before 1968. You had to go all the way back to 1919 to find a league ERA under 3.00....and 1967's number was 3.37. Note: I didn't even look at AL numbers due to the influence of the DH.

So the argument could well be made that baseball overreacted to an anomaly - one season wherein several pitchers had dominant seasons and sank the league ERA to an artificially low number. What's curious, though, is that even in the face of ERAs over 4.00 - also historically out of balance - the past 13 seasons, baseball has not even broached the topic of raising the mound again to try and level the playing field.

In short, McCarver has a valid point - the past decade has been tilted toward the hitters when weighed against the historical averages. But seeing as the current baseball administration subscribes to the "Chicks dig the long ball" philosophy, I can't imagine that any action would be forthcoming.

Is it time to give the pitchers a bit of their edge back? Particularly in light of the smaller ballparks?

Your thoughts, folks?

terminator
09-01-2006, 09:18 AM
I'd like to see it. I think it would be good for baseball, because fewer runs would mean that the game would move faster and that would help garner the attention of more of these ADD kids who are used to non-stop action in other sports.

Also, I assume starting pitchers might be able (on average) to go longer into the game. I think it's always more fun to see one pitcher out there fighting, scratching and clawing through a game than to have the game constantly interrupted for situational pitchers who face one or two batters.

I'd also be curious whether it would reduce injuries since the pitcher would have more of a natural advantage and might not need to overthrow/throw so hard?

Worst case scenario, the Reds would be last in the NL in pitching . . . with a 3.50 ERA. That sounds a lot better. ;)

RedsManRick
09-01-2006, 09:21 AM
I find it odd that they lowered it so drastically. Why 10"? Why not 12 or 13?

I'm curious what the effect of the higher mound really is. Does it help certain kinds of pitchers more than others? Does it lead to more stikeouts, or more weakly hit balls in play? Are certain hitters more adversely affected?

macro
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
I've been saying since 1998 that the mound should be raised back to where it was. I fell in love with baseball in the pitching era, so I prefer 3-2 games to 9-8 games.

dabvu2498
09-01-2006, 09:58 AM

I'm curious what the effect of the higher mound really is. Does it help certain kinds of pitchers more than others? Does it lead to more stikeouts, or more weakly hit balls in play? Are certain hitters more adversely affected?
I've wondered the same things.

I've also wondered if the lowering of the mound corresponded with the increase of arm injuries to professional pitchers.

Highlifeman21
09-01-2006, 10:06 AM
It's kind of MLB folklore, but not all mound heights are the same from ballpark to ballpark.

I forget where I read or heard this, but it was something like mounds can differ by up to 2 inches from park to park.

If this still remains true, I charge the Reds Grounds Crew to get that puppy as close to 15 inches without making it obvious.

Cyclone792
09-01-2006, 10:11 AM

A higher mound has a drastic effect since pitchers gain more leverage on a pitch and are able to put a more downward velocity on the ball. If a pitch has more downward velocity, it is more difficult for the hitter to square the pitch, and some pitches will also spend less time in the strike zone. All a pitch has to do is hit any fragment of the strike zone to be a strike, and the quicker it gets in and out of the strike zone, generally the better the pitch.

Prior to 1969 I believe the actual rule was "no more than 15 inches" instead of necessarily a requirement for each mound to be 15 inches. This means some parks really didn't have a 15 inch mound, but may instead had an 11 or 12 inch mound. Also, pitcher's mound regulations weren't really enforced, and some stadiums, such as Dodger stadium, built up a mountain for a pitcher's mound and really created a massive pitcher's park.

FWIW, the mound height really isn't a problem right now, IMO. The MLB ERA last season was 4.28, and if people think that's high then they ought to take a look at the high scoring era of the 1920s and 1930s when league ERAs were pushing 5.00. In fact, I would venture to say the MLB league average ERA from 1903-2005 is pretty close to our current league ERA.

Always Red
09-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Is it time to give the pitchers a bit of their edge back? Particularly in light of the smaller ballparks?

Yes, I think so. I've stated that here several times; I'd love to see the mound back up to 15 inches.

Not all of the new parks are bandboxes, and I'm not sure if the ones that are bandboxes were built as such. If you look at the dimensions of GAPB, the outfield is much roomier than Crosley Field, at least Crosley as it was during it's final days. In the earliest days of Crosley (known as Redland Field until 1934) the outfield walls were way back, and it wasn't until the ealry 1920's, I believe, that a player actually hit a ball over the fence. I'm not sure why the ball carries so well at GABP, but it does.

I think there's more to it than just "bandbox" fields. Hitters are stronger now than ever before (with or without the juice). And, add to that the fact that more pitchers are throwing hard now than ever before, and that adds up to more force off a batted ball. Now, that's hard to quantify, I realize. I'm not sure what kind of stats exist to show how hard pitchers throw, and there have always been pitchers who have thrown extremely hard. But in the past, most of them have been starters, and now, most closers, and even middle relievers throw very hard as well. Plus, the HR is an integral, planned part of the game now more than ever; back in the day, maybe one guy on a team was even capable of hitting 30HR a year; runs scored by HR's were kind of icing on the cake, in a way.

The most frustrating thing to me as a Reds fan is that we have a ballpark built for sluggers, and a FO that now has decided to win with pitching and defense. I am an avid supporter of our new FO, I agree with their plan, and I love the ballpark, so my frustration is only that the 2 seem sort of incongruous to me; they're not a match. Pitching and defense can win anywhere, but you're going to have to hit in this park to win there.

Some of the other threads mentioned trading Dunn for an ace. Probably a good deal on paper, anytime you can get an ace (like an Oswalt, for example)but not for the Reds. I think they need sluggers like Dunn in order to win in this park, and they need pitching and defense, of course, too. This park is so different than the ones when the Reds go on the road; when they try to play the HR game on the road, a lot of those turn into fly outs or doubles.

This team just needs more balance, and I think Kriv is trying to exactly that- build a team that can win in more ways than just bashing the opposition to death. As the old saying goes, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." This team needs more tools in the workshop.

Now that GAPB has a track record of sorts, it will be interesting to see if free agent pitchers want to come here. Up until this year, I believe GAPB gave up more than average in HR's, but actually less than average in runs. Folks smarter than me, with access to better stats than I do, will have the answer to that. I hope the pitchers want to come; I think good pitchers can pitch anywhere.

I like to watch good pitching; I'd rather watch a 1-0 game than an 11-10 slugfest. But that's just me. Chicks do dig the long ball, that's for sure, and TV loves the long ball as well.

My hunch is that the mound is staying right where it is.

oneupper
09-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Before raising the mound, eliminate the DH in the AL.
Both measures were taken for the same reason: to boost offense.

Do THAT first, see what happens for a couple of years and THEN we can start TALKING about the mound.

Always Red
09-01-2006, 10:22 AM
In the earliest days of Crosley (known as Redland Field until 1934) the outfield walls were way back, and it wasn't until the early 1920's, I believe, that a player actually hit a ball over the fence.

Redsland Park had been open for nearly a decade, before Pat Duncan hit the first batted ball over the fence, on June 2, 1921.

The early dimensions of Redland Park were 360 down each line, and 420 to straightaway centerfield.

*edit: Duncan's HR was the first in an official major league game

Always Red
09-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Before raising the mound, eliminate the DH in the AL.

I agree with you, but I think it's too late. The players union would never go for doing away with the DH.

westofyou
09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Redsland Park had been open for nearly a decade, before Pat Duncan hit the first batted ball over the fence, on June 2, 1921.

The early dimensions of Redland Park were 360 down each line, and 420 to straightaway centerfield.

Actually black star John Beckwith did it 3 weeks before Pat in a Negro League game on a Sunday, he was showered with over $60 in coins.

Ruth was the first to clear the RF and CF wall later that summer in the Yankees first trip to Crosley for an exhibition, which BTW was the largest attendance of the season.

After the game Ruth went fishing at a resort in Loveland.

westofyou
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
It's kind of MLB folklore, but not all mound heights are the same from ballpark to ballpark.

I'm fairly certain the height is the same everywhere, it's the slope that can be manicured to give the illusion of difference, the crowned field to promote draining at the GAB was the major reason for the illusion that GAB mound was diffrent.

terminator
09-01-2006, 10:41 AM
and some pitches will also spend less time in the strike zone.
That is very important. If you picture a pitcher on a mountain throwing down at an 80 degree angle, the millisecond before it entered the better's sweet spot it would be at his head and the millisecond afterward it would be around his ankles. There would be little margin for error.

If I did the math right a change from 10" to 15" changes the angle from the top of mound to home plate from .789 degrees to 1.183 degrees. A small number but surely enough to make a difference to major leaguers since that is a 50% increase.

Always Red
09-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Actually black star John Beckwith did it 3 weeks before Pat in a Negro League game on a Sunday, he was showered with over $60 in coins.

Ruth was the first to clear the RF and CF wall later that summer in the Yankees first trip to Crosley for an exhibition, which BTW was the largest attendance of the season.

After the game Ruth went fishing at a resort in Loveland.

Great info!

I was going to ask if Ruth had Hudepohl or Schoenling while fishing, but then realized that was during prohibition. So, it was probably no-label home brew!

oneupper
09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree with you, but I think it's too late. The players union would never go for doing away with the DH.

You know, I always hear that argument. Maybe someone can help us out.

Is the DH rule a part of the CBA?
Do all rule changes need the endorsement of the players union? (as in raising the mound?)

If so, why would the players union go along with raising the mound even?
Less offense = less $$$$$ IMO.

I thought it was the Steinbrenners of the world who opposed eliminating the DH since they understand that the pitcher hitting produces tighter games and one less (overpaid) superstar they can put on the field.

oneupper
09-01-2006, 10:48 AM
That is very important. If you picture a pitcher on a mountain throwing down at an 80 degree angle, the millisecond before it entered the better's sweet spot it would be at his head and the millisecond afterward it would be around his ankles. There would be little margin for error.

If I did the math right a change from 10" to 15" changes the angle from the top of mound to home plate from .789 degrees to 1.183 degrees. A small number but surely enough to make a difference to major leaguers since that is a 50% increase.

Your math is probably good, but the pitch leaves the pitchers hand which is several feet (7 maybe?) above the mound. So the angle increase the hitters would feel would be more like 4% than 50%.

terminator
09-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Well true. Still a difference that major leaguers would notice.

dabvu2498
09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Do all rule changes need the endorsement of the players union? (as in raising the mound?)

From Article XVIII of the MLB CBA:

Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, if during the term of this
Agreement any playing or scoring rule is proposed to be changed, the
Clubs agree that they shall give the Association notice thereof, and
shall negotiate the proposed change with the Association, provided that
the obligation to negotiate with the Association shall apply only to
changes which significantly affect terms and conditions of employment.
Such proposals to change playing or scoring rules shall normally
be made only during the off-season. If the Clubs and the Association
fail to reach agreement on a proposed change which is subject to negotiation,
the proposed change shall not be put into effect until the completion
of the next complete succeeding season (including the Division
Series, League Championship Series and World Series) following the
date the change was proposed.
http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

IslandRed
09-01-2006, 10:57 AM

The actual effect would be a lot less, but anything helps.

As for me, I'm not sure I'd want to see the mound raised. The primary effect would be to increase strikeouts, and I think the game would be better if the ball was in play more, not less. I'm not sure how to fix it without messing with the baseball.

westofyou
09-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Great info!

I was going to ask if Ruth had Hudepohl or Schoenling while fishing, but then realized that was during prohibition. So, it was probably no-label home brew!

The night before the Game Ruth was the man about town, with headlines like this

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/ruth_hotel_headline.gif

Big Daddy P
09-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Without a doubt, boyz. Been saying this too for a while. The balance between pitching and hitting is totally out of wack. This would be a start towards equity again. ERA leaders used to be the 1st thing you saw when you looked at the stats of pitchers in the league leaders. Now it's not even listed! WTF? That says a lot.

westofyou
09-01-2006, 11:06 AM
ERA leaders used to be the 1st thing you saw when you looked at the stats of pitchers in the league leaders. Now it's not even listed! WTF? That says a lot.And in the 50's it ws HR's and RBI's and in the 30's it was batting average and in the teens it was assists, errors.. the game changes and when the game changes the important information changes, heck ERA wasn't even an official stat until after Teddy Roosevelt left the scene in D.C.

flyer85
09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
with the abysmal state of official scoring I am not sure that ERA means as much anyway.

westofyou
09-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Abysmal? Shoot it's way better then when the payers used to run roughshod on the official scorekeepers moments after the owners did it for a different reason.

Chip R
09-01-2006, 11:51 AM
The actual effect would be a lot less, but anything helps.

As for me, I'm not sure I'd want to see the mound raised. The primary effect would be to increase strikeouts, and I think the game would be better if the ball was in play more, not less. I'm not sure how to fix it without messing with the baseball.

Aren't strikeouts at an all time high now anyway?

Cyclone792
09-01-2006, 12:12 PM

A quick snapshot of the trend of NL K/9s through history ...

1905: 3.65
1925: 2.80
1945: 3.15
1965: 5.93
1985: 5.50
2005: 6.57

RollyInRaleigh
09-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Raise the mound. 2007 would be fantastic.

Roy Tucker
09-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Loveland has resorts?

westofyou
09-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Loveland has resorts?

Back in the day, the Miami Train line went through Loveland and the Little Miami was dotted with Fish Camps, remember the railroads used to go to great lengths to create outdoorsy get-aways for the city bound folks.

The Cincinnati Free Setters hosted Babe Ruth and the Yankees at a banquet at the Hotel Gibson where the Yankees were staying. Most of the New Yorkers left that evening, but Ruth remained behind as the guest of a local attorney at “a beautiful sylvan retreat on the banks of the Little Miami River” near Loveland. Near the end of his career, Babe Ruth still remembered his Redland home runs, and declared that neither of those were Dipsy-Doos.

Cincinnati Times-Star, July 26, 1921.

Roy Tucker
09-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Back in the day, the Miami Train line went through Loveland and the Little Miami was dotted with Fish Camps, remember the railroads used to go to great lengths to create outdoorsy get-aways for the city bound folks.

Thanks woy, that's interesting.

The Little Miami Railroad train line is a nice bike trail these days. I've probably ridden past where Ruth's sylvan retreat was/is.

Ltlabner
09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Raising the mount not only gives the pitchers the physics edge, but over time it will improve the overall quality of pitchers as a whole. Pitchers can go deeper into games, throw less pitches, not have to throw 98MPH, be less stress on the bullpen, etc.

I don't think speeding the game up would neccesarly increase overall attendence. If it's true that fans just want to see homers then reducing the numbers of homers would depress attendence more than the increase from people suddenly interested because it's a quicker game.

Baseball's best appeal, IMO is to the intellectuall aspects of the game moreso than say footballs apeal of seeing big guys smack into eachother. If MLB would do a better job attracting fans to the intellectual side of the game rather than trying to be the next flashy foxsports show I think they'd increase attendence more for the long-term.

After all this gibberish, I really don't know how I feal about raising the mound.

westofyou
09-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Less strikeouts means more ground outs

SEASON
MODERN (1900-)
SS

ASSISTS YEAR A
1 Ozzie Smith 1980 621
2 Glenn Wright 1924 601
3 Dave Bancroft 1920 598
4 Tommy Thevenow 1926 597
5 Ivan DeJesus 1977 595
6 Cal Ripken 1984 583
7 Whitey Wietelmann 1943 581
8 Dave Bancroft 1922 579
9 Rabbit Maranville 1914 574
10 Don Kessinger 1968 573

SEASON
MODERN (1900-)
2B

ASSISTS YEAR A
1 Frankie Frisch 1927 641
2 Hughie Critz 1926 588
3 Rogers Hornsby 1927 582
4 Ski Melillo 1930 572
5 Ryne Sandberg 1983 571
6 Rabbit Maranville 1924 568
7 Frank Parkinson 1922 562
8 Tony Cuccinello 1936 559
9 Johnny Hodapp 1930 557
10 Pep Young 1938 554

When the balls in play guys rack up career assist numbers, what's magic about the above (to me) is that Maranville is on both lists, 10 years apart, he could pick it.

vaticanplum
09-01-2006, 02:19 PM

Wow. Just...wow.

flyer85
09-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I'd prefer they lower the plate.

44Magnum
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I too wish they would raise the mound in MLB. I get sick of seeing so many HR's.

IslandRed
09-01-2006, 02:45 PM

WOY beat me to it, I see... setting aside the performance analysis aspect -- I'm generally of the "strikeout is just another out" mentality -- it's more of an aesthetic preference. I think the game is better with a more balanced ratio of pitches thrown versus balls in play. Not to the point where it's softball and the pitcher is just laying it in there to be hit, mind you. Just fewer strikeouts and fewer walks, less taking and more raking.

The only way I see that happening is to change the ball, make it a little less lively. Raising the mound won't do it. Making it even more difficult to make contact will just increase whiffs, increase the incentive to try to walk, and it'll be just as easy to launch one out of the yard if solid contact is made. The players aren't going to get smaller. The pitchers aren't going to throw slower. The ballparks aren't going to get bigger anytime soon. So that leaves the baseball.

westofyou
09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Wow. Just...wow.

At the same time

BB/AB

1/13 - 1905

1/14.5 - 1935

1/7.7 - 1955

1/6.7 - 1985

1/5.3 - 2005

Add those pitches to strikeouts, factor in smaller parks and voila there's where most of your 250 IP went.

Cyclone792
09-01-2006, 03:48 PM
WOY beat me to it, I see... setting aside the performance analysis aspect -- I'm generally of the "strikeout is just another out" mentality -- it's more of an aesthetic preference. I think the game is better with a more balanced ratio of pitches thrown versus balls in play. Not to the point where it's softball and the pitcher is just laying it in there to be hit, mind you. Just fewer strikeouts and fewer walks, less taking and more raking.

The only way I see that happening is to change the ball, make it a little less lively. Raising the mound won't do it. Making it even more difficult to make contact will just increase whiffs, increase the incentive to try to walk, and it'll be just as easy to launch one out of the yard if solid contact is made. The players aren't going to get smaller. The pitchers aren't going to throw slower. The ballparks aren't going to get bigger anytime soon. So that leaves the baseball.

Excellent point, IslandRed, and I'm in full agreement with the aesthetic preference. As a Reds fan wanting the team to win, I want them to acquire pitchers who are more likely to perform better, thus better strikeout pitchers. But as a casual fan just enjoying a casual baseball game, I'm just like you in that I enjoy a nice mixture of strikeouts, walks, ground balls, fly balls, line drives, etc.

I actually went and pulled up the full MLB league pitching stats from 1900-present, and this puts things in a historical perspective of where the game is today ...

MAJOR LEAGUES PITCHING STATS

YEAR W L PCT G GS CG SV GF IP H R ER BB SO
1903 1099 1099 .500 2565 2228 1909 51 320 19643 19770 9908 6781 5445 7965
1904 1219 1219 .500 2817 2496 2186 42 309 21999 20358 9306 6505 5742 9303
1905 1218 1218 .500 3018 2474 1975 54 501 21981 20219 9643 6887 6272 9569
1906 1208 1208 .500 3073 2454 1910 89 547 21692 19701 8883 6408 6258 9098
1907 1205 1201 .501 3216 2465 1826 86 636 21817 19651 8716 6066 6311 8691
1908 1228 1228 .500 3477 2488 1678 108 811 22316 19246 8427 5866 6121 9110
1909 1219 1218 .500 3543 2481 1623 117 862 22198.1 19649 8807 6244 6665 9358
1910 1223 1223 .500 3714 2497 1550 129 949 22370.1 20329 9593 6883 7486 9790
1911 1218 1218 .500 3843 2474 1441 146 1032 22032 21888 11150 8245 7915 9883
1912 1219 1219 .500 3836 2461 1437 135 1010 21870 21976 11135 8184 7660 9779
1913 1213 1213 .500 4058 2466 1325 165 1134 22065.1 21030 9977 7506 7322 9459
1914 1837 1836 .500 6062 3758 2064 231 1684 33508.1 31106 14521 10823 11146 14955
1915 1833 1833 .500 6006 3731 2058 230 1661 33326 30459 14215 10744 11120 14115
1916 1227 1227 .500 4234 2494 1309 181 1178 22512.2 20311 8885 6796 7085 9525
1917 1225 1225 .500 4082 2494 1383 162 1105 22509.2 20356 8944 6705 6890 8645
1918 1006 1006 .500 3038 2032 1280 111 749 18372 17064 7379 5649 5726 5873
1919 1113 1113 .500 3534 2236 1304 98 933 20113.1 19597 8680 6854 5975 6870
1920 1228 1228 .500 3999 2468 1399 143 1060 22255 23278 10769 8552 6824 7269
1921 1226 1226 .500 4267 2458 1278 178 1184 22017 24754 11922 9857 6826 6963
1922 1231 1231 .500 4431 2478 1238 156 1238 22102 24578 12041 9978 7218 6935
1923 1226 1226 .500 4451 2466 1227 167 1232 22078 24194 11876 9791 7596 7007
1924 1224 1224 .500 4499 2462 1199 175 1254 21935 24211 11686 9856 7352 6624
1925 1224 1224 .500 4510 2457 1209 175 1249 21820 24920 12589 10500 7768 6690
1926 1222 1222 .500 4575 2468 1156 194 1308 21913.1 23516 11452 9545 7676 6815
1927 1228 1228 .500 4487 2473 1198 196 1257 22044.1 23991 11751 9843 7441 6895
1928 1227 1227 .500 4496 2462 1171 218 1285 21992 23697 11612 9806 7658 7093
1929 1221 1221 .500 4554 2458 1171 214 1288 21865.1 24648 12754 10866 8037 7038
1930 1232 1232 .500 4700 2468 1095 215 1370 21863.2 25603 13689 11679 7646 7932
1931 1227 1227 .500 4523 2472 1188 196 1280 21991.2 24037 11893 10071 7669 7907
1932 1228 1228 .500 4608 2466 1124 192 1324 22129.1 24106 12105 10267 7540 7858
1933 1216 1216 .500 4593 2452 1113 217 1333 21895.1 22966 10981 9262 7348 7440
1934 1215 1215 .500 4787 2446 1059 229 1387 21712 23968 11993 10326 7850 8429
1935 1219 1219 .500 4712 2456 1093 207 1360 21883.1 24060 12029 10299 7829 8016
1936 1228 1228 .500 4782 2476 1075 238 1401 22045 24849 12861 11082 8415 8233
1937 1225 1225 .500 4713 2477 1114 215 1360 21909.1 23768 12069 10387 8442 9006
1938 1207 1207 .500 4627 2446 1090 210 1357 21653 23290 11966 10306 8629 8342
1939 1221 1221 .500 4841 2462 1027 247 1435 21829.1 23369 11870 10343 8483 8518
1940 1229 1229 .500 4863 2472 1095 235 1377 22047.2 23003 11570 10080 8265 9056
1941 1230 1230 .500 4807 2488 1085 220 1393 22191.1 22534 11168 9595 8891 8836
1942 1214 1214 .500 4621 2448 1128 199 1321 21949.2 21170 9996 8499 8385 8334
1943 1227 1227 .500 4651 2476 1095 253 1381 22403 21451 9669 8302 8351 8562
1944 1231 1231 .500 4699 2484 1123 223 1360 22324.1 22302 10366 8733 7923 8163
1945 1218 1218 .500 4655 2460 1140 218 1320 21978.1 21980 10275 8753 8296 8051
1946 1233 1233 .500 5180 2484 1053 227 1431 22141.1 21538 9955 8514 8783 9657
1947 1232 1232 .500 5289 2486 961 290 1521 22048.2 21993 10826 9518 9209 9133
1948 1230 1230 .500 5523 2474 897 314 1577 21931.2 22219 11312 10037 9625 9021
1949 1231 1231 .500 5302 2480 979 245 1501 22034.2 22144 11422 10085 10020 8946
1950 1230 1230 .500 5246 2476 998 289 1478 21975.1 22559 12013 10641 9955 9565
1951 1235 1235 .500 5332 2478 938 276 1540 22209.2 22191 11268 9967 9258 9341
1952 1231 1231 .500 5259 2478 949 306 1528 22207.1 21267 10349 9136 8787 10394
1953 1229 1229 .500 5592 2480 864 347 1616 22038.1 22459 11426 10135 8689 10218
1954 1231 1231 .500 5589 2472 840 349 1632 22130 21908 10827 9581 9033 10215
1955 1231 1231 .500 5944 2468 748 359 1720 22022 21610 11069 9781 9048 10825
1956 1232 1232 .500 5932 2478 758 370 1720 22092 21653 11031 9734 9000 11507
1957 1230 1230 .500 6013 2470 710 391 1760 22344 21865 10636 9516 8175 11964
1958 1231 1231 .500 6025 2470 743 404 1727 22049.1 21621 10578 9458 8127 12228
1959 1234 1234 .500 5925 2476 742 379 1734 22102.2 21636 10853 9587 8184 12606
1960 1232 1232 .500 6065 2472 666 430 1806 22209 21434 10664 9417 8384 12817
1961 1423 1423 .500 6987 2860 745 501 2115 25452.1 25066 12942 11390 9897 14952
1962 1618 1618 .500 8281 3242 844 618 2398 29004.1 28521 14461 12748 10936 17567
1963 1618 1618 .500 8046 3238 865 589 2373 29098.2 27043 12780 11186 9591 18773
1964 1620 1620 .500 8381 3252 797 668 2455 29130.1 27669 13124 11592 9621 19212
1965 1619 1619 .500 8599 3246 739 678 2507 29172.2 26952 12946 11345 10036 19283
1966 1613 1613 .500 8505 3230 736 667 2494 29042 27207 12900 11363 9331 18805
1967 1617 1617 .500 8429 3240 782 647 2458 29180.2 26464 12210 10711 9665 19413
1968 1619 1619 .500 8040 3250 897 597 2353 29236 25710 11109 9687 9156 19143
1969 1943 1943 .500 10117 3892 982 745 2910 34898 32581 15850 14005 13429 22473
1970 1943 1943 .500 10356 3888 852 878 3036 34860.2 33555 16880 15051 13727 22374
1971 1936 1936 .500 9661 3876 1083 689 2793 34768 32547 15073 13400 12536 20956
1972 1858 1858 .500 9127 3718 1009 732 2709 33452 30434 13706 12133 11727 20718
1973 1942 1942 .500 9209 3886 1061 819 2825 34873 34010 16376 14518 13100 20358
1974 1940 1940 .500 9330 3890 1089 517 2801 34945.1 33969 16046 14083 12963 19495
1975 1933 1933 .500 9270 3868 1052 669 2816 34730 33863 16295 14316 13402 19280
1976 1939 1939 .500 9364 3878 1039 683 2839 34928.2 33598 15492 13637 12391 18745
1977 2103 2103 .500 10621 4206 907 845 3299 37738.1 38037 18803 16768 13757 21722
1978 2102 2102 .500 10095 4204 1034 804 3170 37500.1 36508 17251 15362 13566 20058
1979 2096 2096 .500 10573 4196 913 840 3283 37478 37911 18713 16669 13601 20035
1980 2101 2101 .500 10796 4210 856 902 3354 37861 38144 18053 16162 13190 20212
1981 1389 1389 .500 7439 2788 510 605 2278 25095.1 24157 11147 9992 8868 13237
1982 2106 2106 .500 11040 4214 734 932 3480 37878.1 37651 18110 16258 13302 21221
1983 2106 2106 .500 10978 4218 745 977 3473 37742 37443 18170 16241 13518 21716
1984 2104 2104 .500 11177 4210 632 993 3578 37704.2 37381 17921 15965 13320 22500
1985 2101 2101 .500 11504 4206 627 977 3579 37658.2 36778 18216 16292 13838 22451
1986 2102 2102 .500 11760 4206 579 1004 3627 37674.1 36880 18545 16629 14227 24706
1987 2105 2105 .500 12157 4210 561 971 3649 37574.2 37895 19883 17925 14389 25099
1988 2098 2098 .500 11531 4200 622 1049 3578 37667.2 36244 17380 15626 12984 23355
1989 2103 2103 .500 12111 4212 483 1069 3729 37715 36293 17405 15551 13528 23650
1990 2105 2105 .500 12694 4210 429 1113 3781 37563.2 36817 17919 16116 13852 23853
1991 2104 2104 .500 13171 4208 366 1132 3842 37769.2 36558 18127 16410 13984 24390
1992 2106 2106 .500 13251 4212 419 1109 3793 37829.2 36544 17341 15744 13682 23538
1993 2268 2268 .500 14839 4538 371 1192 4167 40507 41088 20864 18861 15110 26310
1994 1599 1599 .500 10643 3200 255 777 2945 28586.1 29743 15752 14330 11131 19766
1995 2016 2016 .500 13915 4034 275 1006 3759 36032 36975 19554 17822 14240 25425
1996 2266 2266 .500 15594 4534 290 1116 4244 40560.2 42320 22831 20780 16093 29308
1997 2266 2266 .500 15857 4532 266 1139 4266 40454 41471 21604 19730 15666 29937
1998 2430 2430 .500 16827 4864 302 1265 4559 43434.2 44489 23268 21387 16447 31893
1999 2428 2426 .500 17276 4856 236 1217 4620 43210 45327 24691 22606 17891 31119
2000 2428 2428 .500 17220 4858 234 1178 4624 43244.1 45246 24971 22918 18238 31356
2001 2428 2428 .500 17624 4858 199 1210 4659 43287.1 43879 23199 21247 15806 32404
2002 2425 2425 .500 17611 4852 214 1224 4638 43269 43272 22408 20570 16246 31394
2003 2429 2429 .500 17817 4860 209 1199 4651 43335 44057 22978 21186 15889 30801
2004 2428 2428 .500 18272 4856 150 1230 4706 43394 44522 23376 21527 16222 31828
2005 2430 2430 .500 18032 4862 189 1254 4673 43232.1 43991 22325 20612 15207 30644

TOT 162759 162751 .500 801910 327038 99173 53467 227712 2923461 2911860 1434345 1243282 1059074 1567912

YEAR ERA HR H/9 BR/9 SO/9 BB/9 SO/BB SHO WP IBB HBP BFP BK
1903 3.11 334 9.06 11.90 3.65 2.49 1.46 167 446 0 754 81174 12
1904 2.66 330 8.33 11.01 3.81 2.35 1.62 249 508 0 811 90967 42
1905 2.82 328 8.28 11.19 3.92 2.57 1.53 223 527 0 828 58332 22
1906 2.66 257 8.17 11.09 3.77 2.60 1.45 275 461 0 774 55953 29
1907 2.50 238 8.11 11.03 3.59 2.60 1.38 282 473 0 785 88547 23
1908 2.37 267 7.76 10.54 3.67 2.47 1.49 290 477 0 768 89089 25
1909 2.53 262 7.97 10.98 3.79 2.70 1.40 271 568 0 778 89226 39
1910 2.77 359 8.18 11.51 3.94 3.01 1.31 234 544 0 805 90221 33
1911 3.37 514 8.94 12.52 4.04 3.23 1.25 168 539 0 836 91841 49
1912 3.37 442 9.04 12.49 4.02 3.15 1.28 160 559 0 718 91855 45
1913 3.06 472 8.58 11.85 3.86 2.99 1.29 198 529 0 690 91793 51
1914 2.91 705 8.35 11.62 4.02 2.99 1.34 341 799 0 1003 134289 50
1915 2.90 625 8.23 11.50 3.81 3.00 1.27 348 730 0 1009 129250 69
1916 2.72 381 8.12 11.20 3.81 2.83 1.34 236 500 0 629 91095 51
1917 2.68 334 8.14 11.12 3.46 2.75 1.25 248 412 0 575 91661 38
1918 2.77 234 8.36 11.39 2.88 2.81 1.03 199 299 0 458 75635 23
1919 3.07 446 8.77 11.68 3.07 2.67 1.15 189 374 0 529 82870 43
1920 3.46 629 9.41 12.39 2.94 2.76 1.07 186 408 0 546 93899 52
1921 4.03 937 10.12 13.14 2.85 2.79 1.02 120 360 0 564 95612 50
1922 4.06 1054 10.01 13.20 2.82 2.94 0.96 146 382 0 609 96065 55
1923 3.99 981 9.86 13.20 2.86 3.10 0.92 127 359 0 599 96258 40
1924 4.04 896 9.93 13.18 2.72 3.02 0.90 137 338 0 548 95693 53
1925 4.33 1168 10.28 13.69 2.76 3.20 0.86 106 348 0 501 96251 35
1926 3.92 863 9.66 13.01 2.80 3.15 0.89 134 309 0 479 95079 39
1927 4.02 922 9.79 13.03 2.82 3.04 0.93 127 337 0 484 95676 43
1928 4.01 1095 9.70 13.02 2.90 3.13 0.93 132 286 0 460 96571 29
1929 4.47 1349 10.15 13.62 2.90 3.31 0.88 121 355 0 404 96278 44
1930 4.81 1564 10.54 13.85 3.27 3.15 1.04 91 368 0 401 97223 36
1931 4.12 1069 9.84 13.13 3.24 3.14 1.03 134 347 0 370 96196 42
1932 4.18 1357 9.80 13.02 3.20 3.07 1.04 119 368 0 367 96601 41
1933 3.81 1067 9.44 12.61 3.06 3.02 1.01 166 392 0 353 94530 35
1934 4.28 1344 9.94 13.33 3.49 3.25 1.07 136 427 0 341 95515 41
1935 4.24 1326 9.90 13.27 3.30 3.22 1.02 149 419 0 381 96186 37
1936 4.52 1363 10.14 13.75 3.36 3.44 0.98 118 557 0 412 97858 41
1937 4.27 1430 9.76 13.36 3.70 3.47 1.07 134 393 0 318 96118 41
1938 4.28 1474 9.68 13.41 3.47 3.59 0.97 124 410 0 348 95336 46
1939 4.26 1443 9.63 13.28 3.51 3.50 1.00 127 445 0 354 95925 49
1940 4.11 1572 9.39 12.91 3.70 3.37 1.10 140 457 0 354 95912 52
1941 3.89 1333 9.14 12.87 3.58 3.61 0.99 162 481 0 310 96484 33
1942 3.48 1070 8.68 12.26 3.42 3.44 0.99 178 389 0 337 93929 44
1943 3.34 905 8.62 12.10 3.44 3.35 1.03 196 354 0 328 94992 56
1944 3.52 1034 8.99 12.32 3.29 3.19 1.03 177 388 0 340 95629 44
1945 3.58 1001 9.00 12.54 3.30 3.40 0.97 186 358 0 355 94745 51
1946 3.46 1214 8.75 12.45 3.93 3.57 1.10 199 347 0 314 94956 36
1947 3.89 1564 8.98 12.86 3.73 3.76 0.99 176 390 0 306 94931 51
1948 4.12 1556 9.12 13.21 3.70 3.95 0.94 143 433 0 337 95453 47
1949 4.12 1699 9.04 13.29 3.65 4.09 0.89 172 454 0 370 95844 56
1950 4.36 2073 9.24 13.50 3.92 4.08 0.96 139 432 0 437 96364 123
1951 4.04 1865 8.99 12.93 3.79 3.75 1.01 166 442 0 449 96005 65
1952 3.70 1701 8.62 12.38 4.21 3.56 1.18 180 405 0 483 94809 40
1953 4.14 2076 9.17 12.92 4.17 3.55 1.18 156 464 0 487 95420 50
1954 3.90 1937 8.91 12.76 4.15 3.67 1.13 166 402 0 441 95541 45
1955 4.00 2224 8.83 12.73 4.42 3.70 1.20 159 473 736 498 95020 36
1956 3.97 2294 8.82 12.68 4.69 3.67 1.28 127 492 783 481 95233 43
1957 3.83 2202 8.81 12.31 4.82 3.29 1.46 139 480 740 511 95395 46
1958 3.86 2240 8.83 12.35 4.99 3.32 1.50 132 526 680 499 94149 70
1959 3.90 2250 8.81 12.34 5.13 3.33 1.54 158 557 707 496 94722 60
1960 3.82 2128 8.69 12.28 5.19 3.40 1.53 140 604 730 488 94776 55
1961 4.03 2730 8.86 12.57 5.29 3.50 1.51 154 780 732 573 109572 63
1962 3.96 3001 8.85 12.46 5.45 3.39 1.61 168 949 818 709 124544 92
1963 3.46 2704 8.36 11.55 5.81 2.97 1.96 234 914 933 714 122356 194
1964 3.58 2762 8.55 11.74 5.94 2.97 2.00 221 979 1015 694 122993 65
1965 3.50 2688 8.31 11.63 5.95 3.10 1.92 191 1046 1130 720 122763 72
1966 3.52 2743 8.43 11.53 5.83 2.89 2.02 194 1039 1088 682 121688 96
1967 3.30 2299 8.16 11.37 5.99 2.98 2.01 226 985 1295 751 121848 101
1968 2.98 1995 7.91 10.97 5.89 2.82 2.09 279 1007 1223 778 120823 83
1969 3.61 3119 8.40 12.09 5.80 3.46 1.67 242 1284 1436 882 148192 131
1970 3.89 3429 8.66 12.42 5.78 3.54 1.63 188 1249 1464 825 149324 128
1971 3.47 2863 8.43 11.88 5.42 3.25 1.67 265 1115 1396 821 146700 97
1972 3.26 2534 8.19 11.55 5.57 3.16 1.77 295 1069 1378 751 139958 92
1973 3.75 3102 8.78 12.35 5.25 3.38 1.55 236 1199 1356 755 148789 95
1974 3.63 2649 8.75 12.29 5.02 3.34 1.50 227 1086 1353 774 148851 186
1975 3.71 2698 8.78 12.45 5.00 3.47 1.44 223 1158 1338 761 148613 204
1976 3.51 2235 8.66 12.03 4.83 3.19 1.51 261 1047 1156 684 147598 176
1977 4.00 3644 9.07 12.54 5.18 3.28 1.58 176 1166 1297 791 161545 235
1978 3.69 2956 8.76 12.20 4.81 3.26 1.48 238 1054 1338 772 159192 273
1979 4.00 3433 9.10 12.55 4.81 3.27 1.47 175 1146 1366 754 160378 166
1980 3.84 3087 9.07 12.36 4.80 3.14 1.53 189 1031 1435 657 161210 257
1981 3.58 1781 8.66 12.01 4.75 3.18 1.49 135 714 895 464 105892 181
1982 3.86 3379 8.95 12.27 5.04 3.16 1.60 161 1091 1319 677 161104 256
1983 3.87 3301 8.93 12.32 5.18 3.22 1.61 180 1076 1379 717 160615 266
1984 3.81 3258 8.92 12.26 5.37 3.18 1.69 151 1129 1270 668 160566 283
1985 3.89 3602 8.79 12.26 5.37 3.31 1.62 163 1141 1337 699 160320 227
1986 3.97 3813 8.81 12.40 5.90 3.40 1.74 139 1323 1289 812 160858 289
1987 4.29 4458 9.08 12.72 6.01 3.45 1.74 138 1333 1287 842 161922 356
1988 3.73 3180 8.66 11.98 5.58 3.10 1.80 182 1262 1367 918 159380 924
1989 3.71 3083 8.66 12.08 5.64 3.23 1.75 152 1286 1446 801 160033 407
1990 3.86 3317 8.82 12.35 5.72 3.32 1.72 140 1355 1384 861 160316 288
1991 3.91 3383 8.71 12.26 5.81 3.33 1.74 107 1390 1229 905 160746 241
1992 3.75 3038 8.69 12.18 5.60 3.26 1.72 146 1296 1315 980 160545 219
1993 4.19 4030 9.13 12.75 5.85 3.36 1.74 99 1473 1477 1200 174564 298
1994 4.51 3306 9.36 13.14 6.22 3.50 1.78 69 1162 1008 876 124483 174
1995 4.45 4081 9.24 13.10 6.35 3.56 1.79 88 1414 1105 1219 156703 199
1996 4.61 4962 9.39 13.27 6.50 3.57 1.82 84 1553 1343 1404 177261 197
1997 4.39 4640 9.23 13.03 6.66 3.49 1.91 89 1482 1169 1449 175541 188
1998 4.43 5064 9.22 12.95 6.61 3.41 1.94 101 1605 1062 1583 188225 205
1999 4.71 5528 9.44 13.50 6.48 3.73 1.74 64 1632 1105 1578 189692 177
2000 4.77 5693 9.42 13.54 6.53 3.80 1.72 72 1518 1208 1572 190261 161
2001 4.42 5458 9.12 12.80 6.74 3.29 2.05 74 1484 1384 1890 186976 151
2002 4.28 5059 9.00 12.74 6.53 3.38 1.93 87 1494 1452 1746 186615 160
2003 4.40 5207 9.15 12.83 6.40 3.30 1.94 72 1546 1316 1849 187449 158
2004 4.46 5451 9.23 12.98 6.60 3.36 1.96 69 1478 1381 1850 188539 157
2005 4.29 5017 9.16 12.70 6.38 3.17 2.02 63 1439 1216 1797 186292 161

TOT 3.83 225557 8.96 12.45 4.83 3.26 1.48 17310 80660 60666 74415 12414812 11725

More strikeouts and more walks nowadays. Like woy stated, that's where the big inning pitcher went. Pitches per plate appearance figures have probably been at an all-time high for the past decade, and that's the culprit for the disappearance of 250+ or 300+ inning arms and very few complete games.

As far as league ERAs are concerned, eliminating the DH would likely wipe out a significant chunk of the gap between the all-time league average ERA of 3.83 and the recent ERAs in the low to mid 4s.

Cyclone792
09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
League hitting stats, 1903-2005 ...

MAJOR LEAGUES HITTING STATS

YEAR AB R H 2B 3B HR HR% RBI BB SO SB CS
1903 75442 9886 19777 3034 1161 335 0.44 8142 5369 0 2735 0
1904 82488 9302 20363 2851 1154 331 0.40 7590 5580 0 2780 0
1905 81736 9625 20271 2858 1120 338 0.41 7936 6189 0 2931 0
1906 80069 8873 19744 2625 1007 263 0.33 7261 6169 0 2995 0
1907 80305 8688 19697 2470 964 245 0.31 7075 6101 0 2777 0
1908 80662 8417 19279 2522 1000 267 0.33 6822 5860 0 2732 0
1909 80597 8793 19655 2657 1002 261 0.32 7126 6505 0 3051 0
1910 81529 9571 20341 2814 1159 361 0.44 7858 7419 4415 3265 0
1911 82254 11164 21912 3265 1322 514 0.62 9332 7838 4798 3403 0
1912 82046 11164 22039 3352 1355 442 0.54 9345 7683 4627 3385 110
1913 81216 9961 21023 3070 1266 469 0.58 8349 7269 9276 3250 107
1914 122588 14531 31129 4625 1739 711 0.58 12223 11203 14531 4573 1510
1915 121704 14216 30460 4532 1769 635 0.52 11980 11120 13378 4106 2051
1916 81928 8890 20285 2994 1141 383 0.47 7518 7077 9535 2753 817
1917 82060 8950 20391 2909 1138 335 0.41 7564 6911 8680 2413 14
1918 67323 7393 17087 2323 886 234 0.35 6198 5751 5926 1990 15
1919 74659 8668 19624 2922 1048 447 0.60 7419 5982 6849 2079 9
1920 84158 10761 23270 3607 1265 630 0.75 9335 6816 7245 1716 1562
1921 85162 11928 24781 3981 1365 937 1.10 10646 6837 6959 1481 1312
1922 85346 12057 24614 3945 1248 1055 1.24 10784 7253 6945 1451 1153
1923 85224 11871 24218 3922 1142 980 1.15 10671 7563 7016 1566 1248
1924 84665 11715 24269 4080 1177 896 1.06 10588 7365 6640 1497 1250
1925 85435 12593 24914 4337 1172 1169 1.37 11427 7742 6665 1381 1096
1926 83750 11443 23505 4142 1157 863 1.03 10444 7703 6787 1277 503
1927 84460 11746 23960 4145 1152 922 1.09 10748 7451 6889 1435 511
1928 84480 11650 23736 4221 1138 1093 1.29 10736 7665 7099 1270 482
1929 85220 12750 24645 4483 1165 1349 1.58 11795 7994 6983 1333 490
1930 86565 13693 25597 4756 1282 1565 1.81 12744 7655 7935 1080 422
1931 86614 11904 24046 4508 1071 1069 1.23 11049 7678 7894 1088 452
1932 87181 12114 24106 4579 1071 1357 1.56 11287 7552 7878 990 410
1933 85224 10989 22968 3946 966 1067 1.25 10205 7346 7444 861 376
1934 85911 11999 23962 4314 882 1344 1.56 11219 7855 8432 908 315
1935 86436 12023 24074 4265 987 1325 1.53 11156 7832 8004 882 329
1936 87639 12845 24863 4471 979 1364 1.56 11930 8419 8235 963 320
1937 85963 12069 23769 4216 997 1430 1.66 11208 8443 9011 1021 337
1938 85012 11969 23293 4046 935 1475 1.74 11236 8628 8335 896 325
1939 84880 11876 23371 4139 916 1445 1.70 11039 8478 8501 957 345
1940 86002 11568 23002 4101 929 1571 1.83 10700 8274 9049 953 332
1941 85855 11168 22531 3958 867 1331 1.55 10326 8886 8828 881 330
1942 83731 9994 21176 3477 723 1071 1.28 9187 8393 8327 961 389
1943 84701 9685 21467 3467 757 905 1.07 8956 8361 8546 1010 515
1944 85665 10351 22307 3654 808 1034 1.21 9579 7930 8186 919 373
1945 84449 10285 21977 3496 728 1007 1.19 9501 8297 8046 978 373
1946 84333 9943 21555 3579 783 1215 1.44 9206 8801 9698 885 407
1947 84436 10827 22003 3568 804 1565 1.85 10110 9218 9157 760 394
1948 84412 11327 22234 3686 834 1555 1.84 10589 9647 9015 812 288
1949 84380 11425 22168 3602 761 1704 2.02 10642 10027 8951 730 368
1950 84822 12013 22559 3714 793 2073 2.44 11269 9953 9551 650 231
1951 85065 11268 22191 3582 716 1863 2.19 10524 9242 9334 866 604
1952 84195 10348 21272 3388 677 1701 2.02 9671 8778 10380 771 628
1953 84997 11425 22459 3593 745 2076 2.44 10713 8681 10211 668 520
1954 83936 10826 21908 3455 789 1937 2.31 10168 9032 10215 695 527
1955 83590 11067 21610 3249 700 2224 2.66 10381 9045 10804 694 537
1956 83856 11031 21653 3339 725 2294 2.74 10330 8997 11505 719 495
1957 84906 10636 21865 3397 672 2202 2.59 10023 8166 11951 767 558
1958 83827 10578 21621 3392 655 2240 2.67 9956 8125 12231 741 516
1959 84294 10853 21636 3478 591 2250 2.67 10177 8184 12604 853 506
1960 84014 10664 21434 3442 658 2128 2.53 9968 8384 12815 923 547
1961 97032 12940 25066 3975 754 2730 2.81 12062 9897 14947 1046 599
1962 110688 14461 28521 4313 853 3001 2.71 13546 10936 17568 1348 701
1963 109814 12780 27043 4098 791 2704 2.46 11904 9591 18773 1236 763
1964 110464 13123 27669 4270 760 2762 2.50 12233 9621 19212 1176 719
1965 109739 12945 26952 4199 787 2688 2.45 12012 10036 19283 1449 786
1966 109467 12900 27207 4120 820 2743 2.51 11998 9331 18804 1455 926
1967 109205 12210 26464 4082 792 2299 2.11 11265 9665 19413 1373 939
1968 108622 11109 25710 3869 697 1995 1.84 10309 9156 19143 1515 931
1969 131287 15850 32581 4840 849 3119 2.38 14662 13429 22473 1850 1118
1970 132140 16880 33555 5235 927 3429 2.59 15762 13727 22374 1908 1078
1971 130544 15073 32547 4931 808 2863 2.19 14077 12536 20956 1765 1039
1972 124828 13706 30434 4652 746 2534 2.03 12750 11727 20718 1807 1105
1973 132363 16372 34010 5224 790 3102 2.34 15254 13100 20358 2034 1213
1974 132256 16041 33969 5206 847 2649 2.00 14858 12963 19495 2488 1383
1975 131473 16291 33863 5443 887 2698 2.05 15153 13402 19280 2524 1369
1976 131525 15486 33598 5240 966 2235 1.70 14364 12391 18745 3054 1543
1977 143974 18798 38037 6441 1170 3644 2.53 17596 13757 21722 3017 1779
1978 141567 17247 36508 6186 1020 2956 2.09 16098 13566 20058 3004 1617
1979 142792 18712 37911 6415 1066 3433 2.40 17558 13601 20035 2983 1598
1980 144160 18053 38144 6345 1076 3087 2.14 16928 13190 20212 3294 1610
1981 94467 11146 24157 4000 659 1781 1.89 10451 8868 13237 2021 1100
1982 144149 18109 37651 6316 964 3379 2.34 17019 13302 21221 3176 1617
1983 143538 18166 37443 6463 1033 3301 2.30 17067 13518 21716 3325 1619
1984 143829 17915 37381 6213 985 3258 2.27 16778 13320 22500 3032 1511
1985 143075 18215 36778 6423 965 3602 2.52 17129 13838 22451 3097 1431
1986 143106 18543 36880 6511 855 3813 2.66 17396 14227 24706 3312 1620
1987 144095 19883 37895 6793 896 4458 3.09 18713 14389 25099 3585 1529
1988 142568 17378 36244 6386 840 3180 2.23 16219 12984 23355 3300 1418
1989 142821 17402 36293 6307 868 3083 2.16 16229 13528 23650 3116 1441
1990 142768 17918 36817 6526 865 3317 2.32 16804 13852 23853 3290 1510
1991 142967 18127 36558 6499 894 3383 2.37 17048 13984 24390 3120 1567
1992 142895 17340 36544 6563 845 3038 2.13 16282 13682 23538 3264 1601
1993 154995 20862 41088 7449 940 4030 2.60 19596 15110 26310 3263 1660
1994 110266 15751 29743 5723 702 3306 3.00 14858 11131 19766 2258 1032
1995 138571 19554 36975 6958 824 4081 2.95 18436 14240 25425 2933 1257
1996 156801 22830 42320 7987 855 4962 3.16 21570 16093 29308 3239 1343
1997 155438 21602 41471 8004 883 4640 2.99 20468 15666 29937 3308 1564
1998 167116 23297 44489 8742 899 5064 3.03 22081 16447 31893 3284 1505
1999 167205 24694 45339 8744 931 5530 3.31 23465 17901 31134 3421 1519
2000 167290 24971 45246 8902 952 5693 3.40 23735 18238 31356 2923 1323
2001 166234 23199 43879 8813 928 5458 3.28 22088 15806 32404 3103 1408
2002 165582 22408 43272 8700 921 5059 3.06 21332 16246 31394 2750 1282
2003 166737 22978 44057 8827 934 5207 3.12 21886 15889 30801 2573 1132
2004 167353 23376 44522 8919 898 5451 3.26 22248 16222 31828 2589 1100
2005 166335 22325 43991 8863 888 5017 3.02 21248 15207 30644 2566 1069

TOT 11127538 1434335 2912488 491258 97643 225614 2.03 1322496 1058032 1487801 208681 85283

YEAR AVG SLG OBA OPS RC TB EBH ISO SEC BPA IBB HBP GIDP SAC SF
1903 .262 .346 .317 .664 10204 26138 4530 .084 .192 .429 0 727 0 2021 0
1904 .247 .321 .301 .622 9787 26515 4336 .075 .176 .401 0 779 0 2240 0
1905 .248 .323 .307 .630 10064 26383 4316 .075 .186 .409 0 818 0 2516 0
1906 .247 .314 .306 .621 9584 25172 3895 .068 .182 .403 0 730 0 2675 0
1907 .245 .309 .305 .614 9294 24830 3679 .064 .174 .395 0 738 0 2576 0
1908 .239 .305 .297 .602 8531 24602 3789 .066 .173 .389 0 767 0 3262 0
1909 .244 .311 .306 .618 9111 25099 3920 .068 .186 .403 0 764 0 3173 0
1910 .249 .326 .318 .644 9767 26556 4334 .076 .207 .424 0 791 0 3020 0
1911 .266 .357 .336 .693 11344 29363 5101 .091 .227 .456 0 844 0 2886 0
1912 .269 .359 .337 .695 11318 29427 5149 .090 .225 .454 0 717 0 2765 0
1913 .259 .345 .325 .670 10145 28032 4805 .086 .216 .439 0 702 0 2539 0
1914 .254 .337 .321 .659 14820 41365 7075 .083 .212 .420 0 991 0 4190 0
1915 .250 .332 .318 .650 14150 40435 6936 .082 .207 .408 0 1015 0 4442 0
1916 .248 .326 .312 .638 9315 26710 4518 .078 .198 .406 0 640 0 2830 0
1917 .248 .324 .311 .635 9228 26581 4382 .075 .189 .407 0 579 0 3079 0
1918 .254 .325 .317 .642 7744 21884 3443 .071 .186 .409 0 461 0 2448 0
1919 .263 .348 .322 .670 9270 25983 4417 .085 .193 .426 0 531 0 2715 0
1920 .277 .372 .335 .707 11012 31297 5502 .095 .197 .424 0 562 0 3042 0
1921 .291 .403 .347 .750 12474 34303 6283 .112 .209 .452 0 534 0 2969 0
1922 .288 .401 .348 .749 12593 34220 6248 .113 .215 .455 0 598 0 2967 0
1923 .284 .391 .347 .738 12291 33364 6044 .107 .214 .448 0 605 0 2730 0
1924 .287 .394 .348 .742 12244 33391 6153 .108 .212 .449 0 554 0 2703 0
1925 .292 .411 .354 .765 13136 35102 6678 .119 .226 .466 0 495 0 2554 0
1926 .281 .389 .345 .733 11799 32550 6162 .108 .215 .452 0 484 0 3199 0
1927 .284 .393 .345 .738 12080 33175 6219 .109 .214 .455 0 480 0 3182 0
1928 .281 .397 .344 .741 12174 33512 6452 .116 .221 .458 0 455 0 2984 0
1929 .289 .417 .353 .770 13212 35505 6997 .127 .237 .478 0 401 0 2714 0
1930 .296 .434 .356 .790 14023 37612 7603 .139 .240 .490 0 405 0 2611 0
1931 .278 .391 .339 .731 12179 33903 6648 .114 .215 .450 0 380 0 1437 0
1932 .277 .400 .337 .737 12395 34898 7007 .124 .222 .456 0 363 0 1479 0
1933 .270 .376 .330 .706 11236 32047 5979 .107 .203 .421 0 347 1105 1698 0
1934 .279 .397 .342 .738 12427 34072 6540 .118 .220 .445 0 342 968 1455 0
1935 .279 .397 .341 .738 12482 34288 6577 .118 .219 .445 0 382 910 1550 0
1936 .284 .404 .349 .753 13275 35384 6814 .120 .227 .455 0 410 1003 1415 0
1937 .277 .399 .343 .742 12641 34269 6643 .122 .232 .451 0 321 956 1420 0
1938 .274 .396 .343 .739 12377 33634 6456 .122 .234 .448 0 347 1038 1354 0
1939 .275 .397 .344 .740 12268 33677 6500 .121 .233 .439 0 354 1945 2193 0
1940 .267 .392 .334 .726 11944 33674 6601 .124 .231 .434 0 355 1826 1266 0
1941 .262 .375 .334 .709 11522 32216 6156 .113 .227 .422 0 312 1869 1431 0
1942 .253 .350 .323 .674 10167 29312 5271 .097 .209 .399 0 339 1756 1473 0
1943 .253 .344 .323 .667 9986 29163 5129 .091 .201 .390 0 324 1881 1683 0
1944 .260 .358 .326 .684 10644 30679 5496 .098 .201 .401 0 349 1853 1691 0
1945 .260 .355 .329 .684 10532 29950 5231 .094 .204 .403 0 360 1710 1681 0
1946 .256 .360 .328 .688 10634 30345 5577 .104 .219 .407 0 316 1865 1622 0
1947 .261 .377 .336 .713 11370 31874 5937 .117 .235 .424 0 314 1938 1406 0
1948 .263 .382 .341 .723 11734 32253 6075 .119 .243 .433 0 340 1934 1416 0
1949 .263 .384 .344 .728 11828 32404 6067 .121 .249 .433 0 375 2132 1408 0
1950 .266 .402 .346 .748 12429 34078 6580 .136 .261 .448 0 433 2226 1241 0
1951 .261 .386 .336 .722 11613 32794 6161 .125 .243 .428 0 448 2146 1240 0
1952 .253 .370 .327 .696 10724 31117 5766 .117 .230 .413 0 481 1966 1354 0
1953 .264 .397 .336 .733 11912 33770 6414 .133 .243 .436 0 487 2029 1245 0
1954 .261 .390 .333 .723 11198 32752 6181 .129 .245 .429 0 441 1959 1332 795
1955 .259 .394 .332 .726 11295 32931 6173 .135 .252 .434 717 505 1940 1186 698
1956 .258 .397 .331 .729 11344 33324 6358 .139 .255 .437 783 482 1984 1253 644
1957 .258 .391 .324 .715 11016 33212 6271 .134 .239 .426 741 511 1970 1115 687
1958 .258 .394 .325 .719 10927 33043 6287 .136 .242 .428 679 499 2062 1046 644
1959 .257 .392 .324 .716 11028 33046 6319 .135 .243 .430 708 496 1837 1127 616
1960 .255 .388 .324 .712 10813 32576 6228 .133 .243 .426 729 488 1914 1193 692
1961 .258 .399 .328 .727 13134 38739 7459 .141 .254 .438 732 573 2232 1305 761
1962 .258 .393 .326 .719 14592 43543 8167 .136 .247 .433 818 709 2487 1361 846
1963 .246 .372 .309 .681 12928 40835 7593 .126 .224 .408 933 714 2256 1448 769
1964 .250 .378 .313 .690 13343 41745 7792 .127 .225 .412 1014 694 2394 1462 739
1965 .246 .372 .311 .683 13074 40789 7674 .126 .231 .411 1130 720 2365 1488 766
1966 .249 .376 .310 .686 12968 41196 7683 .128 .226 .411 1088 682 2355 1455 742
1967 .242 .357 .306 .664 12315 39027 7173 .115 .216 .396 1295 751 2245 1480 738
1968 .237 .340 .299 .639 11351 36958 6561 .104 .202 .379 1223 778 2217 1507 753
1969 .248 .369 .320 .689 16090 48476 8808 .121 .237 .414 1436 884 2900 1669 914
1970 .254 .385 .326 .711 17168 50931 9591 .131 .250 .429 1464 825 3020 1630 990
1971 .249 .365 .317 .682 15492 47683 8602 .116 .225 .405 1396 821 3093 1802 987
1972 .244 .354 .311 .664 14115 44180 7932 .110 .219 .395 1378 751 2797 1758 883
1973 .257 .379 .325 .704 16582 50120 9116 .122 .236 .419 1357 755 3129 1550 1009
1974 .257 .369 .324 .693 16142 48816 8702 .112 .229 .412 1353 774 3084 1734 1104
1975 .258 .374 .327 .701 16530 49174 9028 .116 .238 .419 1339 760 3013 1873 1087
1976 .255 .361 .320 .681 15556 47475 8441 .106 .223 .406 1156 684 2910 1793 1183
1977 .264 .401 .329 .730 19284 57750 11255 .137 .253 .441 1297 791 3139 1764 1231
1978 .258 .379 .323 .702 17708 53602 10162 .121 .238 .422 1338 772 3076 1986 1274
1979 .265 .397 .330 .727 18999 56757 10914 .132 .248 .437 1366 754 3326 1896 1314
1980 .265 .388 .326 .714 18502 55902 10508 .123 .238 .427 1435 657 3363 1883 1296
1981 .256 .369 .320 .689 11338 34818 6440 .113 .228 .410 895 464 2208 1252 829
1982 .261 .389 .324 .713 18449 56032 10659 .128 .242 .429 1319 677 3147 1740 1221
1983 .261 .389 .325 .714 18412 55875 10797 .128 .246 .431 1379 717 3296 1561 1256
1984 .260 .385 .323 .708 18187 55338 10456 .125 .239 .425 1270 668 3193 1435 1286
1985 .257 .391 .323 .714 18356 55937 10990 .134 .252 .434 1337 699 3295 1549 1144
1986 .258 .395 .326 .721 18740 56540 11179 .137 .260 .440 1289 812 3119 1515 1175
1987 .263 .415 .331 .747 20295 59854 12147 .152 .277 .461 1287 842 3124 1455 1110
1988 .254 .378 .318 .696 17555 53850 10406 .123 .238 .422 1367 918 3087 1630 1265
1989 .254 .375 .320 .695 17525 53585 10258 .121 .238 .420 1446 801 3064 1626 1240
1990 .258 .385 .325 .710 18272 55024 10708 .128 .248 .431 1384 861 3077 1559 1261
1991 .256 .385 .323 .708 18230 54994 10776 .129 .249 .430 1229 905 3021 1625 1249
1992 .256 .377 .322 .700 17806 53911 10446 .122 .240 .423 1315 980 3109 1665 1294
1993 .265 .403 .332 .736 21227 62507 12419 .138 .257 .446 1477 1200 3431 1811 1430
1994 .270 .424 .339 .763 16224 46788 9731 .155 .276 .467 1008 876 2441 1207 992
1995 .267 .417 .338 .755 20050 57824 11863 .150 .274 .463 1105 1219 3145 1488 1173
1996 .270 .427 .340 .767 23375 66903 13804 .157 .280 .471 1343 1404 3609 1544 1400
1997 .267 .419 .337 .756 22454 65161 13527 .152 .274 .463 1169 1449 3440 1577 1383
1998 .266 .420 .335 .755 24116 70221 14705 .154 .272 .463 1067 1587 3705 1705 1402
1999 .271 .434 .345 .778 25642 72535 15205 .163 .290 .479 1108 1579 3837 1605 1465
2000 .270 .437 .345 .782 25951 73131 15547 .167 .293 .481 1209 1572 3874 1628 1514
2001 .264 .427 .332 .759 24140 70922 15199 .163 .276 .468 1384 1890 3654 1607 1424
2002 .261 .417 .331 .748 23290 68991 14680 .155 .270 .457 1452 1746 3845 1633 1399
2003 .264 .422 .333 .755 23859 70373 14968 .158 .269 .461 1316 1849 3850 1626 1336
2004 .266 .428 .335 .763 24466 71590 15268 .162 .274 .468 1381 1850 3784 1731 1363
2005 .264 .419 .330 .749 23313 69681 14768 .154 .261 .456 1216 1797 3908 1620 1315

TOT .262 .384 .328 .713 1473799 4275874 814515 .123 .236 .434 60657 74279 187386 195680 56088

Ravenlord
09-01-2006, 05:24 PM
i've wanted to see the mound raised since the Sosa and McGwire home run chase. i think the best way to do it though would be to raise it about 2" every year until its about 8"-10" higher than it is presently.

CincyRed44
09-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes, by all means raise the mound. Change the pitching physics in favor of the pitcher for once. Keeping the ball down would trend to more ground ball outs instead of pop up homers especially in our beloved GABP. :eek: rut roh, our infield defense would need upgraded, sheesh our outfield defense would need to get better too. :scared: I am tired of watching 9-8 games every night as well.

Agree on a second point, get the blasted rabbit out of the baseball. There is no reason why a Juan Castro type should be able to easily go yard to the opposite field gaps at best maybe a double for most or a triple for the speed guys. Sorry Juan no offense intended. It's ridiculous watching check swings land in the seats 400 ft away from homeplate.:thumbdown

On the DH, ugggh... in accordance with Players Union.. it will never be removed from the game, unfortunately. It would cost at least fourteen players, making some ungodly amount of money to be out of a ML job. :rolleyes:

Always Red
09-01-2006, 10:48 PM
The other thing that can be done immediately is to start calling strikes properly. As it is now, everything above the waist is called a ball.

That's just wrong.

The strikezone is:

1988 - "The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the top of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

in 1996 the strikezone was further expanded:

1996 - The Strike Zone is expanded on the lower end, moving from the top of the knees to the bottom of the knees.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/umpires/strike_zone.jsp

Calling balls and strikes properly will also go a long way to helping correct the inequity between pitching and hitting.

redsmetz
09-01-2006, 11:13 PM
The other thing that can be done immediately is to start calling strikes properly. As it is now, everything above the waist is called a ball.

That's just wrong.

The strikezone is:

in 1996 the strikezone was further expanded:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/umpires/strike_zone.jsp

Calling balls and strikes properly will also go a long way to helping correct the inequity between pitching and hitting.

I don't disagree with that at all. I noticed Jim Leyland got tossed this week arguing balls and strikes and it seems like every week some manager or player is get thrown out of the game objecting to the inconsistant strike zones.

Ltlabner
09-02-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't disagree with that at all. I noticed Jim Leyland got tossed this week arguing balls and strikes and it seems like every week some manager or player is get thrown out of the game objecting to the inconsistant strike zones.

I've said this a few times now, but it sure does seem like the strike zones are all over the place this year. Every year, I'm sure, somebody says, "this is the worst year ever!". I don't know if thats true but it does seem as though that this year many games both teams are upset about the strike zones and that a fair number of mangers are getting booted arguing the strike zone. I've even noticed the people around us at GABP commenting "this strike zone sucks" when the away team is at bat.

That's all very subjective and antidoctal but sometimes where there's smoke there's fire.

mth123
09-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I think if you want an immediate effect, raising the mound is the best answer. Changing the strike zone will take a long time. I think it will be hard to re-train an entire group of umpires to change their ways. In the short run you'll probably end-up with even more inconsistency than already exists. I think the strike zone is a major reason for the offensive explosion in the last 15 years or so. I just think it will be dificult to change it back.

I would prefer fixing the zone to changing the mound. I just don't foresee it working.

westofyou
09-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Earlier this year I wrote a piece on the side effects of a pitching rich enviroment, it's right here

http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/05/12/the-other-side-of-the-coin/

And here's part of it

On December 3, 1968, the Baseball Rules Committee voted to lower the height of the pitching mound from fifteen to ten inches and to require that all pitching mounds be sloped gradually so that pitchers will not appear to be firing from a steep cliff to the batter below.

Not known to many was also the redefining of the strike zone.

1969 - “The Strike Zone is that space over home plate which is between the batter’s armpits and the top of his knees when he assumes a natural stance. The umpire shall determine the Strike Zone according to the batter’s usual stance when he swings at a pitch.”

This redefinition was a result of stagnating offense and pitching dominated contests, it also was a reaction to a prior strike zone change that was instituted against the rise of offense in the first few years of the 60’s.

1963 - “The Strike Zone is that space over home plate which is between the top of the batter’s shoulders and his knees when he assumes his natural stance. The umpire shall determine the Strike Zone according to the batter’s usual stance when he swings at a pitch.”

The key lies in the first paragraphs accent on “the top of his knees” where the second only says “knees” thus leaving some ambiguity for the officials creating the Strike Zone when a player steps into the box

In 1961 the home run race involving Maris and Mantle plus the hitting of Cash and Gentile staggered many of the old timers who were in the upper echelon of the baseball management. In an attempt to “even” things out they decided to attack the hitters at home, so they adjusted the strike zone after the 1962 season

This small but significant addition to the rules helped freeze the offense in the game faster than the Cassadines could freeze Port Charles.

Cooper
09-03-2006, 02:37 AM
I wonder if alot of those old timers played in 1930...irony?

Btw, i read the other day that the greatest offensive environment for offense is thought to be 1930 --well, i read fronm weather.com that 1930 was the hottest year on record (nation wide). It was the hottest by a long shot. Surely this had a huge effect on the great offenses of that year.

Which brings me to my next point, suppossedly spring and summers have been getting warmer --as compared to say the 1960's. No one really mentions it, but could the overall warmer weather across the board impact offense?