PDA

View Full Version : Team USA Basketball Loses

HumnHilghtFreel
09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoY.UILHdZ2CQ9VeSTWeeZ05nYcB?slug=ap-worlds-greece-us&prov=ap&type=lgns

Honestly, I'm not surprised by it. We don't have the shooters we need right now. The International game is SO much different than the NBA. We play horrible defense, can't shoot the long-ball and had a very hard time adjusting to the zone defenses.

While most casual basketball fans will probably blast them, I don't think it's all bad. By the olympics we'll have had a lot more time to gel as a team and let the players work with eachother. They will also have better shooters like Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups and Mike Redd back if they choose to play.

guttle11
09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
The NBA game is different that basketball. It's a hybrid of basketball and streetball. It works great for the NBA, but we'll continue to come up short in international competition.

The rest of the world has developed the athletes to compete with us, but their fundamentals and discipline puts them over the top. We've regressed to the point that a simple pick and roll is more than we can handle.

I would honestly like to see a team of American college all-stars practice together and play in an international competition. To be honest, I like their chances better than the current options.

Tyrus Thomas
Glenn Davis
Adam Morrison
Sheldon Williams
JJ Redick
Aaron Gray
Jordan Farmar

Add another PG and some good guys off the bench, and let's get at them. I'd like to see how they could have done. Pure athleticism isn't going to get it done anymore.

RedFanAlways1966
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
The NBA game is different that basketball. It's a hybrid of basketball and streetball. It works great for the NBA...

But doesn't work for me anymore. I'll take two Div. III women's teams playing each other over the current NBA any day of the week. I used to like the NBA when I was younger. I guess I sort of lost my taste for it right after Michael Jordan retired (for good... the 2nd time). Loved it back in the day when the Bird-led Celtics and Magic-led Lakers were playing. Myabe I am just a crotchety old-fart?!?

Actually I am a big fan of the men's college game. I hope it does not become like the NBA. In some ways it has (shot-clock, 3-point line). However, I think the shot clock was good for the game and is not ridiculously short like the NBA's 24 seconds. I wish they would move the 3-point line back and make it worth the while.

RANDY IN INDY
09-01-2006, 05:21 PM
At one time, I actually cared about such things. Professional basketball is barely on my radar now.

WMR
09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
I watched it. I was rooting pretty hard for USA to win it. :(

Greece just pulled shots out of their ass the whole game and USA could not contain the pick and roll.

At least we've got an actual program now.

USA must now qualify for the Olympics at the Tournament of the Americas.

REDREAD
09-02-2006, 01:35 AM
At least this year's USA team was an attempt to build a "team" as opposed to a bunch of reluctant stars that didn't really care.

I didn't see the game, but this team actually has some decent defenders on paper. They'll be alright.

The loss might be a blessing in disguise. Might get the guys to practice more and provide some motivation. Better to lose now than in the Olympics.

IIRC, they did well in their earlier round games, despite shooting poorly from the 3 point range. That will come around.

WMR
09-02-2006, 01:47 AM
At least this year's USA team was an attempt to build a "team" as opposed to a bunch of reluctant stars that didn't really care.

I didn't see the game, but this team actually has some decent defenders on paper. They'll be alright.

The loss might be a blessing in disguise. Might get the guys to practice more and provide some motivation. Better to lose now than in the Olympics.

IIRC, they did well in their earlier round games, despite shooting poorly from the 3 point range. That will come around.

Good estimations, REDREAD! :) I think you're right.

Highlifeman21
09-02-2006, 02:29 AM
But doesn't work for me anymore. I'll take two Div. III women's teams playing each other over the current NBA any day of the week. I used to like the NBA when I was younger. I guess I sort of lost my taste for it right after Michael Jordan retired (for good... the 2nd time). Loved it back in the day when the Bird-led Celtics and Magic-led Lakers were playing. Myabe I am just a crotchety old-fart?!?

Actually I am a big fan of the men's college game. I hope it does not become like the NBA. In some ways it has (shot-clock, 3-point line). However, I think the shot clock was good for the game and is not ridiculously short like the NBA's 24 seconds. I wish they would move the 3-point line back and make it worth the while.

That makes for an exciting 34 - 30 match up, final score.

Granted, I can't stand the current NBA, which is a glorified game of one on one, or if you're not a "playmaker/slasher", then you'll chuck it up all over the gym 20 times a game, roughly making 7 of them. Stellar.

Unfortunately, the men's college game is becoming more individualized as well. They should move the college 3 pt line back to the NBA numbers, to discourage your run of the mill shooter from trying to make a name for himself as a gunslinger.

Pretty soon, a two-handed pass of any kind, bounce or chest, will go the way of the dinosaurs.

RedFanAlways1966
09-02-2006, 03:21 PM
That makes for an exciting 34 - 30 match up, final score.

Yep, I guess I was exagerrating a bit! :D