PDA

View Full Version : Phil Dumatrait, Tyler Pelland and Javon Moran

mth123
09-02-2006, 11:41 AM
These three guys were acquired in trades and many list them among the Reds top 15 prospects. This has me wondering what the board thinks of these guys potential.

Dumatrait and Pelland were acquired long enough ago and have never sniffed the majors that I have pretty much written them off as "never will be" types. Guys who end-up leaving as 6 year free agents, are traded or packaged for a journeyman major leaguer, or morph into the PTBNL that no one ever remembers or hears from again.

Do these two have major league ability? What is the upside? Middle reliever? #4 Starter? Better than that?

As for Moran, the fact this team needs pitching and has taken OF help with the last two first round picks has made me believe he is not really a prospect. Can he be a Major Leaguer? Is he a Juan Pierre type? I don't remember him having any power but lots of speed.

Could any of these three have an impact? Could they bring help in trade?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

dougdirt
09-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Tyler Pelland I think has the most potential of the three guys. He has a pretty good fastball. Problem is that at times, its all he has. He needs some real work on his secondary stuff still. He is just 22 years old, so in no way should anyone be ready to give up on him.
Javon Moran does nothing but hit the ball all the time. Since being traded to the Reds from the Phillies with Elizardo Ramirez for Cory Lidle, he is hitting at or near .330 in the Reds system. He wont draw a walk to often, and he doesnt really steal bases anymore (use to steal 30-45 a year). He has been often injured though, he is heading to the AFL this fall, and it will be interesting to see what happens with him if he performs well. I think he can help a team one day.
Phil Dumatrait probably has a future in a bullpen somewhere. In AAA he has struggled quite a bit, seeing all of his peripherals drop off. He throws with his left arm, so you know he will be given every possible chance to prove himself.

mth123
09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Tyler Pelland I think has the most potential of the three guys. He has a pretty good fastball. Problem is that at times, its all he has. He needs some real work on his secondary stuff still. He is just 22 years old, so in no way should anyone be ready to give up on him.
Javon Moran does nothing but hit the ball all the time. Since being traded to the Reds from the Phillies with Elizardo Ramirez for Cory Lidle, he is hitting at or near .330 in the Reds system. He wont draw a walk to often, and he doesnt really steal bases anymore (use to steal 30-45 a year). He has been often injured though, he is heading to the AFL this fall, and it will be interesting to see what happens with him if he performs well. I think he can help a team one day.
Phil Dumatrait probably has a future in a bullpen somewhere. In AAA he has struggled quite a bit, seeing all of his peripherals drop off. He throws with his left arm, so you know he will be given every possible chance to prove himself.

Thanks. Good sight by the way.

Superdude
09-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I've never been a big Moran fan. He hits for average, but can't take a walk, has absolutely no power, and Votto is outrunning him this season. I think he's a 4th outfielder at best.

Team Clark
09-05-2006, 04:20 PM

I just saw Dumatrait throw. :thumbdown His mechanics leave a lot to be desired. He has no poise on the mound and throws 3-2 on just about everybody. He's got a lot of work ahead of him. Can be done though.

Doc. Scott
09-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I just saw Dumatrait throw. :thumbdown His mechanics leave a lot to be desired. He has no poise on the mound and throws 3-2 on just about everybody. He's got a lot of work ahead of him. Can be done though.

Looks to me like the walk rate's going to be the key thing with Dumatrait. But I'm not surprised to hear that about his mechanics and poise since he's on the 40-man and was about the only guy *not* called up at expansion time.

Team Clark
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Looks to me like the walk rate's going to be the key thing with Dumatrait. But I'm not surprised to hear that about his mechanics and poise since he's on the 40-man and was about the only guy *not* called up at expansion time.

Doc you're right. If the hitters he were facing were big leaguers he would have given up 4 and 5 pitch walks to one hitter after another. I can not tell you how many hitters I saw help him out by fouling off a pitch or two that were CLEARLY balls. He can be straightened out. He's just not smooth. He doesn't land soft, no extension. It's hit or miss.

Doc. Scott
09-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Doc you're right. If the hitters he were facing were big leaguers he would have given up 4 and 5 pitch walks to one hitter after another. I can not tell you how many hitters I saw help him out by fouling off a pitch or two that were CLEARLY balls. He can be straightened out. He's just not smooth. He doesn't land soft, no extension. It's hit or miss.

So what did/does Lee Tunnell do/say/plan to do about it? Get Tom Browning's number out of your Blackberry? ;)

Team Clark
09-05-2006, 10:10 PM
So what did/does Lee Tunnell do/say/plan to do about it? Get Tom Browning's number out of your Blackberry? ;)

Tunnell...nothing. He's still with the Major League team. Ted Power is in AAA and from the sound of things he's still the same 'ol Ted. Only wants to work with a handful of guys. So, I would guess he will not work with Dumatrait.

Browning... :all_cohol They need an avatar that smokes Pot too. :laugh: I still have his number. I called and laughed into his voice mail the day he got fired. Made me feel better.

Aronchis
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
If Pelland could command his curveball, his strikeouts would rise and his walks fall. It really is that simple for him. Hopefully the Reds can give him the proper training, but that is Krivsky's job.

Doc. Scott
09-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Tunnell...nothing. He's still with the Major League team. Ted Power is in AAA and from the sound of things he's still the same 'ol Ted. Only wants to work with a handful of guys. So, I would guess he will not work with Dumatrait.

Browning... :all_cohol They need an avatar that smokes Pot too. :laugh: I still have his number. I called and laughed into his voice mail the day he got fired. Made me feel better.

So Power won't work with Dumatrait because Phil is not an under-stuff-ed right-handed reliever?

Aronchis
09-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Yeah, because he is a understuffed left handed reliever instead, man that Power;)

Doc. Scott
09-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah, because he is a understuffed left handed reliever instead, man that Power;)

Paging Bill Scherrer...

camisadelgolf
09-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I think Pelland is going to set the record for most consecutive games with three walks or more. He's currently sitting on 12 consecutive appearances. The last time he didn't get three walks was when he had two walks on June 25th.

Team Clark
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Paging Bill Scherrer...

LOL! Probably a good idea!

camisadelgolf
09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
This is my two cents (even though it's probably worth less than that):

Like someone said, Moran will probably be no better than a fourth outfielder. His speed is nice, but he gets caught stealing a lot.

Pelland will be no better than a third starter. If he doesn't learn the concept of throwing strikes, then he'll probably become a hard-throwing lefty in the pen.

Dumatrait is going to be a big leaguer at some point, but he'll probably be middle-of-the-road a la Elizardo Ramirez.

Doc. Scott
09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Dumatrait is going to be a big leaguer at some point, but he'll probably be middle-of-the-road a la Elizardo Ramirez.

It sounds to me like Dumatrait will top out at a cup 'o joe if he doesn't make some progress on his mechanics. That consistency is often what separates big leaguers from the Lance Caracciolis.

camisadelgolf
09-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't mean he'd be a Major Leaguer and stay that way for very long (although I don't mean to rule it out either).