PDA

View Full Version : Topics and Questions for "The Show"

Team Clark
09-03-2006, 02:14 AM
I started a new thread because I know a lot of people, including myself, stop reading threads (The Sticky about the "Show") after they have been up for awhile.

We have several shows that are nearly complete. What we have open are segments in each show that would pertain to Redszone content.

NOW would be a great time to e-mail me questions for the show and/ or some topics you would like covered. We may go so far as to have you on as a caller. We have the capability to record those conversations now. (Wasn't easy let me tell ya) If a topic has been beat to death lets try to steer away from that. i.e. Kearns/Lopez trade or the fact that RFS62 is getting senile! :laugh: JK Old Friend.

Remember this is an "inside" the game format. I can't answer who is best for your fantasy team. However, I can point out why so and so is keeping the ball up. I can tell you what it is like to look at a lineup card in the 6th inning and have the 7th, 8th and 9th all planned and ready to go. Having your Pitching coach all set with scenarios and Bench Coach getting potential PH's and Fielding subs "ready".

How to get a job in Baseball is a great topic. I get two or three of those e-mails/PM's a week. WilyMoRocks can tell you that I give EXCELLENT advice! :laugh:

e-mail me at tc@baseballontheweb.com MY PM box fills up way too quick. If you decide to e-mail me tell me whether you want me to use your real name or Redszone name. You will probably have to put your Redszone name in the e-mail too.

Bob Winters
09-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Looks like you fellas have a good thing going. Want an idea for a future topic? How about "the best pranksters in Reds clubhouse history"? Apparently, Pete Harnisch was excellent at pulling pranks on guys in the clubhouse. Jose Rijo, though I don't know if it counted as a prank, was famous for his Super Soaker.

Now, with Everyday Eddie Guardado aboard that might work as your current tie-in. See if Eddie would like to come on the show and talk for a spell.

Edited:

I knew I'd find it. I was looking for an old John Fay article about pranks and the Reds. Here it is. Good luck, fellas.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/04/01/spt_baseball_losing_its.html

BCubb2003
09-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Can we put an end to the crazy notion that a home run kills rallies? Maybe you can have Chris Welch on the show.

How hard is it really to change positions in the middle of the season? We're all spoiled by Pete Rose being an all-star at many positions, but guys like Rich Aurilia seem to do just fine. For others it seems like a major deal.

I'd like to hear more about a team scouting itself. How should it go about doing it and what should it look for?

Team Clark
09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I am going to Louisville tomorrow to interview Jason Johnson and Joe Mays. Anyone have any questions they want me to ask them?

Always Red
09-03-2006, 09:23 PM
I'd like to know how politicking and the "old boy network" work in baseball. Probably kind of a controversial topic, I understand. Those who still have jobs on the line or in-waiting may not want to address this issue.

Talent will get you to the major leagues and will carry the day, but after that, well, there are a lot of jobs available in baseball outside of the actual playing of the game.

In other words, it's a lot like any other business, in who you know, what you know, how well connected you are, whom you have pissed off, etc. I'm sure that the ability to relate to others, play nicely, and do a great job come into play somehow.

TC, you might be able to answer these questions yourself, but then again, I know that Senior has been mentioned and considered in the past (oh, 5-10 years ago) for managing jobs. It just would be interesting to hear someone talk honestly about how that happens, and who gets coaching jobs, GM jobs, etc, and why.

Team Clark
09-03-2006, 09:52 PM
I'd like to know how politicking and the "old boy network" work in baseball. Probably kind of a controversial topic, I understand. Those who still have jobs on the line or in-waiting may not want to address this issue.

Talent will get you to the major leagues and will carry the day, but after that, well, there are a lot of jobs available in baseball outside of the actual playing of the game.

In other words, it's a lot like any other business, in who you know, what you know, how well connected you are, whom you have pissed off, etc. I'm sure that the ability to relate to others, play nicely, and do a great job come into play somehow.

TC, you might be able to answer these questions yourself, but then again, I know that Senior has been mentioned and considered in the past (oh, 5-10 years ago) for managing jobs. It just would be interesting to hear someone talk honestly about how that happens, and who gets coaching jobs, GM jobs, etc, and why.

Great question. Phenomenal actually. I have been the benficiary and the victim of the good 'ol boy network. This is a MUST topic.

Spring~Fields
09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Over the decades I have seen many pitchers come and go with the Reds, of course some did well and many have not.

It always left me with the question of what is the role of the pitching coach and bullpen coach, and how much positive or negative effect/coaching/teaching etc. do they really have on any given pitcher?

What is it as a common fan that am I missing in that I don’t understand why “the coach” doesn’t seem to be able to teach pitcher x, y, or z how to throw certain pitches and to locate them etc more effectively.

I guess I wonder why it sometimes appears that “the coach” isn’t able to improve the pitchers performances. Why is Smith able to throw that slider, cutter, changeup or curve better than a Brown or Jones, why isn’t the coach able to show or teach his players to pitch better than they often do? I guess I am asking do pitching or hitting coaches really make a significant contribution to help players improve?

dfs
09-04-2006, 12:39 AM
As a tie-in with SF's topic, the reds seem to have an extraordinary number of pitcher that pitch with injuries and/or get mis-diagnosed. It's gone across several several pitching coaches, GM's, managers, stadiums and even medical staffs. What and Why?

redsfan4445
09-04-2006, 12:44 AM
"The Lost Art of Protecting the plate with 2 strikes!".. I have never understood how many baseball players in MLB seem to forget the strike zone and take a 3rd strike.. Even if its close and your team is counting on you for a good at-bat, you have to protect the plate.. i remember Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Pete Rose did this very often.. they had great success and for the life of me, why do players today just accept a 3rd strike without even a attempt to help their chances at getting a hit by swinging the bat??

"Runners not running thru 1st base as fast as they can"
Why do some MLB players always slow down going to 1st base on a ground out?? Felipe Lopez did this EVERY time.. and he has speed!!.. just think if a player hits 10 infield grounders and 2 he beats out with ease, if the other 8 were ran out, even if only one was beat out for a hit, thats 3 for 10 (.300 average) verses 2 for 10 (.200 average )for not running all 10 out!

RedsManRick
09-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I would love to hear a discussion about the things that the average fan would never hear about in terms of day-to-day lineup construction or other things that we're always complaining about. I have to believe that there's a lot going on that never leaves the lockerroom -- and that some managers end up looking stupid in their unwillingness to explain the truth behind every decision.

For example, we're all busy looking at numbers and histories against when in fact the left fielder is dealing with a bad alimony situation and his mind isn't right, so he's batting 7th instead of 5th. Does stuff like that really go on? How much do non-baseball issues effect on the field decisions?

Team Clark
09-04-2006, 01:38 AM
Over the decades I have seen many pitchers come and go with the Reds, of course some did well and many have not.

It always left me with the question of what is the role of the pitching coach and bullpen coach, and how much positive or negative effect/coaching/teaching etc. do they really have on any given pitcher?

What is it as a common fan that am I missing in that I don’t understand why “the coach” doesn’t seem to be able to teach pitcher x, y, or z how to throw certain pitches and to locate them etc more effectively.

I guess I wonder why it sometimes appears that “the coach” isn’t able to improve the pitchers performances. Why is Smith able to throw that slider, cutter, changeup or curve better than a Brown or Jones, why isn’t the coach able to show or teach his players to pitch better than they often do? I guess I am asking do pitching or hitting coaches really make a significant contribution to help players improve?

Another great set of questions. I will be answering this one as well.

Team Clark
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
I would love to hear a discussion about the things that the average fan would never hear about in terms of day-to-day lineup construction or other things that we're always complaining about. I have to believe that there's a lot going on that never leaves the lockerroom -- and that some managers end up looking stupid in their unwillingness to explain the truth behind every decision.

For example, we're all busy looking at numbers and histories against when in fact the left fielder is dealing with a bad alimony situation and his mind isn't right, so he's batting 7th instead of 5th. Does stuff like that really go on? How much do non-baseball issues effect on the field decisions?

I am going to call Buddy Bell and see if he will take this question.

Yachtzee
09-04-2006, 01:46 AM
I am going to Louisville tomorrow to interview Jason Johnson and Joe Mays. Anyone have any questions they want me to ask them?

"Do you like movies about gladiators?" ;)

Team Clark
09-04-2006, 02:15 AM
"Do you like movies about gladiators?" ;)

That's twice you got me with that! :laugh:

buckeyenut
09-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Since you have senior and are good friends with junior, how about the real skinny on Jr in CF vs LF or RF or 1B. Jr in 3 hole vs 5 hole or other spot in the lineup? What are his thoughts? Has it been asked by Narron?

As an aside, why is it so difficult for this team to consider moving a player's position in the middle of the season? Why wouldn't they move Phillips to SS or Jr to RF? What is the inside scoop that makes that a big deal that we don't see?

Any inside scoop as to why Edwin wasn't allowed to work through his defensive issues and keep his bat in the lineup? why does Royce Clayton play over Juan Castro? Inner workings like that?

These might be interesting when you have SteelSD on, given he can share the stats perspective clearly. You can then explain the human side.

Reds Nd2
09-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I would like to hear a discussion concerning the pitch to contact philosphy. What is it, why weren't the Reds more succesful with it, and why did the new Reds regime discard it's use?

At one time, the Florida Marlins used what they termed "pitch to early contact" and if I'm not mistaken, the Oakland Athletics also PTC. How many other teams employ this way of thinking in regards to their pitching staffs?

Team Clark
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I would like to hear a discussion concerning the pitch to contact philosphy. What is it, why weren't the Reds more succesful with it, and why did the new Reds regime discard it's use?

At one time, the Florida Marlins used what they termed "pitch to early contact" and if I'm not mistaken, the Oakland Athletics also PTC. How many other teams employ this way of thinking in regards to their pitching staffs?

More good stuff.

There are several other posts I wll be answering as well. Hoping to have another show together and posted this eve.