PDA

View Full Version : UK v. Louisville : College Football : September 3, 2006

WMR
09-03-2006, 08:03 PM
http://z9.invisionfree.com/BigBlueNation/index.php?

Anyone interested should head over to WV's UK site and tell us exactly how and why UK is going to hand it to Petrino's boys tonight!

Heath
09-03-2006, 09:16 PM
If this was at Commonwealth, I'd give Kentucky a shot.

One of the most underrated places to see College Football - Commonwealth that is. Too bad no one cares. Not even Rich Brooks.

UK basketball fans should be forced to watch 3 Football games a year.

KronoRed
09-03-2006, 10:06 PM
This game got ugly in a hurry

Someone tell Kentucky that they don't have to let Louisville score every time they have the ball.

WMR
09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
This game got ugly in a hurry

Someone tell Kentucky that they don't have to let Louisville score every time they have the ball.

We got 'em right where we want 'em!!! :evil: :laugh:

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Michael Bush broken tibia. Ouch. Out for the season.

WVRed
09-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Michael Bush broken tibia. Ouch. Out for the season.

This is the biggest problem I have with college football outside of the BCS.

Louisville was up 31-14 in a game that they pretty much controlled. If it wasnt for points and scores factoring into a bowl bid, wouldnt it have made sense to have just pulled Brohm and Bush after the second half?

Petrino's comments about how he wanted to run up the score kinda didnt set well with me either. I hate to see Bush go down and wish him the best, but I think something needs to be done to lower the blowouts.

reds1869
09-04-2006, 11:25 PM
This is the biggest problem I have with college football outside of the BCS.

Louisville was up 31-14 in a game that they pretty much controlled. If it wasnt for points and scores factoring into a bowl bid, wouldnt it have made sense to have just pulled Brohm and Bush after the second half?

Petrino's comments about how he wanted to run up the score kinda didnt set well with me either. I hate to see Bush go down and wish him the best, but I think something needs to be done to lower the blowouts.

There is a simple solution that has worked at every other level for years: playoffs. It will never happen, but it prevents this sort of thing and rewards solid long term play. For instance, Marshall's first run towards a 1-AA title game came after a 6-5 season in which they came on strong to win their conference. Coincidentally, the game that started the turn around was a win over 1-A Louisville. At season's end, they were one of the best team's in 1-AA. By the time they jumped to 1-A they had been one of the most dominant teams in 1-AA for over a decade, having earned their shot in the playoffs. Such a thing is not possible in the bowl system (see: Utah, Tulane, Marshall, Fresno and every other mid-major who's ever made some major noise for a season or two).

A playoff with all the conference champs and the strongest at large runners-up would give everyone a chance and still allow the better teams from a tough conference a shot at the NC. But it will never happen because a 16 team playoff won't rake in nearly as much cash, and it would be harder for the BCS to keep teh little guys out in the cold.

macro
09-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Petrino's comments about how he wanted to run up the score kinda didnt set well with me either.

Which is exactly the reason that I find it so hard to root for the Louisville Cardinals football team. Petrino ran it up his first year at UL, and I have disliked him ever since. I really want to be for Louisville, but Petrino makes it difficult.

WVRed
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Which is exactly the reason that I find it so hard to root for the Louisville Cardinals football team. Petrino ran it up his first year at UL, and I have disliked him ever since. I really want to be for Louisville, but Petrino makes it difficult.

There is a side of me that wants to say Petrino got what he deserved. He lost his star player trying to run up the score, and now Louisville has little shot of a BCS bid with West Virginia likely to roll through the Big East.

I am in the same boat you are. The fact that Kentuckys football program cannot make an impact and Louisville is the cream of the crop makes it even harder.