PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin (Croc Hunter) dies.

Cedric
09-04-2006, 01:00 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead

By staff writers

September 04, 2006 02:14pm
Article from: NEWS.com.au

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

It is believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

Mr Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman today said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Mr Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

paintmered
09-04-2006, 01:04 AM
That's really unfortunate. Condolences to his family. :(

But given his nature of work and the number of close calls he's encountered over the years, it was a matter of time really. Walking the fine line for so long made him a household name. I certainly enjoyed watching him.

One of my classmates in high school traveled to Australia to spend some time with his show. From her accounts, he was a great guy and a real expert.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-04-2006, 01:05 AM
I was just about to post this here.

It's sad. He was a really eccentric guy, but he was really great at heart whenever I saw him on talk shows like Leno and all that.

CrackerJack
09-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Wow. That's quite sad.

WMR
09-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Holy crap!!!

harangatang
09-04-2006, 02:01 AM
That's pretty sudden. What a tragedy.

howyoufreelin
09-04-2006, 02:41 AM
What do bad things happen to such good people...This is really really sad. I really enjoyed him as a entertainer, and he seemed like he was a very good guy.

GAC
09-04-2006, 07:29 AM
What do bad things happen to such good people...

Because, sadly enough, as adventure (or thrill) seekers, they take high level risks. And yes, it is very sad.

max venable
09-04-2006, 07:45 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2006/09/04/irwin2.jpg

Here's to you, Steve. :beerme:

Spring~Fields
09-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Very, very sad, the man took everything to new levels to inform and entertain us all. I was often worried that he and others might push the envelope to far one day to bring us thrills and excitement, sadly it has happened.

MrCinatit
09-04-2006, 08:22 AM
It can be said he went doing what he loved the most - being at one with nature. Still, that does not diminish the tragedy.

bucksfan
09-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Wow - very sad news. I had not watche dthe show in some time, but we did watch quite a bit several years ago. As others above have said, he just seemed like a great guy.

Ltlabner
09-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I really didn't care for his show or style. But that doesn't mean squat right now. It's a horrible thing that happend. Always hate to see an innocent life come to a premature end.

Sorry for the Irwin family's loss.

BuckWoody
09-04-2006, 10:00 AM
I was shockled when I read that this morning. Very sad news. My girls were upset when they heard about it...they are big into Animal Planet and really liked Steve. Rest in peace.

adampad
09-04-2006, 10:28 AM
So sad. I loved watching Steve with my 4 year old daughter. He had so much energy and passion for what he did. He will be missed.

RedFanAlways1966
09-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Although his line of work can be very dangerous, I just never expected to hear this. He seemed to be a great man & person. Very tragic and very sad.

:(

Blimpie
09-04-2006, 12:29 PM
It is believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.
World-wide instantaneous electronic media can be wonderful and it can also be very heartless.

Every continent on the planet has access to this tragic story within hours of it happening. His poor wife will have to wait for some sherpa-like guide to get the message to her that she is now a widow?

That's also tragic.

KittyDuran
09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
World-wide instantaneous electronic media can be wonderful and it can also be very heartless.

Every continent on the planet has access to this tragic story within hours of it happening. His poor wife will have to wait for some sherpa-like guide to get the message to her that she is now a widow?

That's also tragic.Looks like his wife was told recently:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/steve-irwin-killed-by-stingray/2006/09/04/1157222051512.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Steve Irwin killed by stingray
It was quite rare for someone to die from contact with a stingray ... Stingrays were dangerous if provoked
David Williams and Lousia Hearn
September 4, 2006

Television personality and environmentalist Steve Irwin has died from a stingray wound while filming off north Queensland.

Friends believe he may have died instantly when struck by a stingray as he filmed a sequence for his eight-year-old daughter Bindi's new TV series.

Irwin's friend of 20 years, Ferre De Deyne said Irwin had been struck by the stingray while filming. "The stingray just happened to be swimming around and out of the blue whacked his tail at him," he said.

"It is absolutely tragic. I have dived so many times with stingrays and they are usually very placid things," he said.

Known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter, 44-year-old Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!"

'Non-survivable injuries'

Irwin had been filming a new documentary called Ocean's Deadliest with friend and manager John Stainton at Batt Reef, off Port Douglas about 11am.

"He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray's barb went up and went into his chest and put a hole into his heart," Mr Stainton said.

"It's likely that he possibly died instantly when the barb hit him, and I don't think that he ... felt any pain.

"He died doing what he loved best."

Irwin was pulled aboard his research vessel, Croc One, for a 30-minute dash to Low Isle, where a Queensland Rescue Helicopter had been summoned, his Australia Zoo said in a statement.

The crew of the Croc One performed constant CPR during the voyage to Low Isle, but medical staff pronounced him dead about noon.

"It became clear fairly soon that he had non-survivable injuries," said Dr Ed O'Loughlin, who treated Irwin at the scene.

"He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest.

"He had lost his pulse and wasn't breathing."

Dr O'Loughlin said it appeared Mr Irwin had suffered a "form of cardiac arrest" but a post-mortem examination would be conducted in Cairns.

Body flown to Cairns

Mr Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns, where stunned family and friends were gathering tonight.

His American-born wife Terri was told of her husband's death while on a walking tour in Tasmania, and tonight returned to the Sunshine Coast with her two children, Bindi Sue, 8, and three-year-old son Robert Clarence, usually known as Bob, 3.
The Irwins married in 1992 - the same year Irwin made a one-off documentary, The Crocodile Hunter, which later became a world-famous TV series and movie.

Mr Stainton said the accident happened after bad weather halted filming for the new documentary series.

During the break, Irwin had been shooting footage for his daughter Bindi's upcoming TV series, Mr Stainton said.

"He said 'I might just go off and shoot some segments for Bindi's show, just stuff on the reef and little animals'.

"I just said fine, anything that would keep him moving and keep his adrenalin going.

"The next thing I heard on the radio was there was a medical emergency, the little dinghy he was in was bringing him back with the crew.

"Everyone tried absolutely tirelessly to revive him to keep him alive, we cut dinghies loose and made it post haste to Low Isle where we knew the chopper would be able to get in, but I think it's possible he probably died at 11am."

Stingray deaths 'quite rare'

Irwin's death was one of only a handful of known stingray deaths in Australian waters.

When asked if he had ever heard of anyone dying from a stingray barb, Matthew Hurley, general manager of Quicksilver Group, whose company has taken tours to Low Isles for 26 years, said: "No, definitely not.

"We've never heard of or been involved with anything like that."

Ross Coleman, acting director at at University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science, told smh.com.au it was "quite rare" for someone to die from contact with a stingray and he couldn't recall hearing of another incident.

Stingrays were "dangerous if provoked", he said.

"As a recreational diving instructor you hear of people getting injured by standing on them ... but they rarely die."

A professional scuba diver who raised the alarm about Irwin's tragic accident said he may still have been alive when he was taken from the water.

Professional diver Pete West was on board a boat close to scene of the attack when it happened. He said Mr Irwin's party asked him to alert authorities to the medical emergency.

"We were the closest boat to the area and they stopped by to tell us, we raised the alarm while they took him back to his own boat," Mr West told the Seven Network.

Asked if Mr Irwin was alive when they got him on his own boat, Mr West said: "I believe so."

"He was doing what he did best and unfortunately today he wasn't quick enough."

'The zoo will go on'

Irwin's wife Terri would not close down the zoo, predicted Jim Dalrymple, whose local irrigation firm helped maintain the water supplies to Irwin's Australia Zoo in Beerwah on Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

The zoo is the biggest local employer with 550 staff, Mr Dalrymple said.

"I managed an irrigation business in Beerwah and had occasions where I served Steve personally.

"Terri would ring to say Steve was on his way down to the shop, can you stay open. It was usually on a Saturday afternoon when Steve needed something and got caught short. He was always so thankful.

"I think the zoo will go on," said Mr Dalrymple, who also owns the local Beerwah Motel.

"I don't think Terri would let it close down. She's too passionate to change Steve's wishes. But he's irreplaceable."

'True to the core'

Mr De Deyne, the managing director of the Big Kart Track which is located close to Australia Zoo, said he had counted Irwin as a friend for 20 years.

"I've lost a dear frend. This is absolutely tragic news for me," he said.

Mr De Deyne said he had first met Irwin in 1985 in a restaurant in Coloundra. He described him as a "regular guy" who would often come in for a bite to eat.

"This guy was true to the core. He was big and alive and had a total commitment to everything he was doing.

"You will never ever find a guy with more passion about the environment or the conservation of wildlife. He put Australia on the world map and did the same for Queensland and the Sunshine Coast.''

'Nothing would ever scare Steve'

Irwin's manager John Stainton admitted he always feared that Steve Irwin would meet his "demise" while working with the wildlife he loved.

But he said although Mr Irwin got into plenty of "close shaves" with his antics involving various dangerous animals over the years, his star charge never feared death.

Mr Stainton admitted he "always" feared that this day would come during their 20-year association.

"You think about all the documentaries we've made and all the dangerous situations that we have been in, you always think 'Is this it, is this a day that maybe is his demise?'," he said in Cairns today.

"We've been in some pretty close shaves.

"(But) nothing would ever scare Steve or would worry him. He didn't have a fear of death at all."

Discovery Channel suspends 'Crocodile Hunter'

The Discovery and Animal Planet TV networks - which produced Irwin's programs - suspended broadcasts of the Crocodile Hunter series across its networks this afternoon.

"Discovery Networks International and Animal Planet International mourn the loss of Steve Irwin, the world's Crocodile Hunter, " the broadcasters said in a statement.

"Steve was beloved by millions of fans and animal lovers worldwide and was a true friend to Discovery Networks.

"He was also one of the world's most passionate conservationists. His loss will be felt for many years to come.

"As a mark of respect to Steve and his family, all programming featuring Steve has been temporarily suspended from the Animal Planet schedule”.

Trouble over croc feeding with son

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA'' campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

The Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

Irwin came 20th last year in BRW magazine's top 50 entertainers.

The magazine said the hugely popular Crocodile Hunter spent most of 2005 filming and launching his new television series, New Breed Vets, to appear on the pay-TV channel Animal Planet.

In February, Irwin received an award from Tourism Australia for his contribution to tourism.

Over the last 12 months, he has also expanded his Australia Zoo wildlife park on the Sunshine Coast.

Pop star Justin Timberlake last month recalled visiting the zoo on his Australian 2004 tour.

"I know he got a lot of flak, but there's something in that dude's blood, he's like one of those animals," Timberlake told the Courier Mail newspaper.

"We got in the cage and he said, 'I want to show you how the crocs hunt.' All of a sudden it pops out of the water, we jump back, it came up on the land and he saw how its temperament was and he told us to step back.

"He's like Dr Dolittle, for real. He knows what those crocodiles are thinking."

- with AAP

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
ok--not to be heartless but since he pulled that assinine stunt with the croc and his baby in his arms a few years back,I knew it was just a matter of time before fate caught up with him

max venable
09-04-2006, 01:12 PM
ok--not to be heartless but since he pulled that assinine stunt with the croc and his baby in his arms a few years back,I knew it was just a matter of time before fate caught up with him

Well, I'd say that statement could be true of all of us. I know that I've certainly pulled a lot of asinine stunts in my day. Anybody else here ever done anything stupid?

I guess we're all goners...and yes, it is just a matter of time...the death rate is 1 out of 1 last time I checked.

Dom Heffner
09-04-2006, 01:21 PM
know that I've certainly pulled a lot of asinine stunts in my day.

I'm really surprised this isn't a thread yet:

"Asinine Stunts You've Pulled."

I have one I'll donate if you put it up...maybe edit the title as to not offend anyone...lol

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Here we go with getting negged for an opinion.. I am not happy the man died. The man took a baby child and essentially used it for a prop right next to a croc?? for what purpose..please no1 try to defend that senseless act. He tempted fate all the time for doing these shows. All I'm saying is what everyone probaably thinks but wont say anyway. It was a matter of time before something went terribly wrong.

Ltlabner
09-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Here we go with getting negged for an opinion.. I am not happy the man died. The man took a baby child and essentially used it for a prop right next to a croc?? for what purpose..please no1 try to defend that senseless act. He tempted fate all the time for doing these shows. All I'm saying is what everyone probaably thinks but wont say anyway. It was a matter of time before something went terribly wrong.

Actually, no. You are not saying what I am thinking.

I am thinking that while he knew the risks, and obviously accepted them, this was a freak accident and it's sad to see an innocent person's life cut short.

His stunt with the croc and his baby was pretty dumb. But your original post came across as if he somehow desereved to die because of it. The two incidents are unrelated.

I don't want to be the "post police" and you are certinally intitled to your opinion, but how you chose to express it came across a little tacky to me.

Just my opinion.

TeamMorris
09-04-2006, 02:48 PM
So sad:( RIP Steve!!

Matt700wlw
09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
How sad.

While working in an obvious risky profession, he always seemed upbeat, seemed like a good guy, and seemed to love his work.

Tony Cloninger
09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
I hope the news reporters do not give us the standard "He dies doing what he loved best" crap.

I would imagine he would have been happier.....passing away in his sleep around his 90's...as opposed to this......especially with such young children.

BoydsOfSummer
09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Crikey!

I thin k that's the way Steve himself would have responded. Odd way to go,for sure.

Dom Heffner
09-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Well- his friends know him best and even they have said this.

Of course he would rather have dies in his 90s, but if he were going to go, he would rather it be doing what he loved than of diabetes, that's for sure.

After having watched him for several years, I think he would probably have defended the stingray.

They sting when they feel frightened and he was probably too close. Things happen.

His death doesn't have to be a tragedy. You feel for his family, but good heavens, this certainly didn't come as a shock.

Remember the guy who lived with bears every year? Was anyone shocked about that when he was killed by one?

WVRed
09-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Remember the guy who lived with bears every year? Was anyone shocked about that when he was killed by one?

Thank you. I hate that he died and hate it for his family, but its not like this didnt come as a shock.

Heres another one teetering on the totem pole.

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/040903/15113__bounty_l.jpg

Yachtzee
09-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Well- his friends know him best and even they have said this.

Of course he would rather have dies in his 90s, but if he were going to go, he would rather it be doing what he loved than of diabetes, that's for sure.

After having watched him for several years, I think he would probably have defended the stingray.

They sting when they feel frightened and he was probably too close. Things happen.

His death doesn't have to be a tragedy. You feel for his family, but good heavens, this certainly didn't come as a shock.

I think Steve Irwin's death is a little more shocking than Timothy Treadwell's (if that's who you are thinking of). From what I gather, Treadwell didn't really understand how dangerous the bears he was dealing with were. As much as he loved the bears, he wasn't very smart about it. From what I saw in that "Grizzly Man" documentary, he did everything he could to get eaten short of tying raw meat around his neck.

I think Steve Irwin was very much aware of the danger posed by the animals he dealt with. In this case, it sounds like it was just bad luck that the stingray hit him where it did.

Edskin
09-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I am an animal lover--at times I battle feelings of guilt because animal cruelty/neglect stirs more emotion in me than human cruelty/neglect. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

What I really respected about Irwin was that while he was eccentric and wild, you could tell that he truly cared about those animals. He seemed to me to be a gentle soul.

Yes, his lifestyle caught up to him, but IMO, that happens to a lot of people-- in his case, his "lifestyle" was on borne of caring for something other than himself--probably too much.

Reds4Life
09-04-2006, 07:59 PM

Yup. Not a good idea running around chasing wanted people with only a can of pepper spray. Sooner or later he's going to run up against someone with a gun and he's going to get blown away.

paintmered
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Yup. Not a good idea running around chasing wanted people with only a can of pepper spray. Sooner or later he's going to run up against someone with a gun and he's going to get blown away.

Who is that guy?

Falls City Beer
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Who is that guy?

Same question I have.

guttle11
09-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Dog: The Bounty Hunter.

Reds4Life
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Who is that guy?

Dwayne Chapman, "Dog" the bounty hunter.

WMR
09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
It's just so sad... seeing all the crazy situations Steve put himself in, I know that I at least always thought that nothing bad would ever happen to him...

Not sure why I thought that. Maybe, b/c as Ed stated so well, the fact that he had such obvious love for these animals made me think he would be OK.

Falls City Beer
09-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Dwayne Chapman, "Dog" the bounty hunter.

So he just goes around playing cops and robbers, spraying people with pepper spray? What a tool.

WMR
09-04-2006, 08:14 PM
His show is on A&E, usually about once every 2 hours or so.

If you've never seen him in action, you should have a look.

Reds4Life
09-04-2006, 08:26 PM
So he just goes around playing cops and robbers, spraying people with pepper spray? What a tool.

He goes after people with warrants, with a huge can of pepper spray strapped to his leg and a bunch of tatical-cool crap. I think he goes after mostly low level misdemeanor stuff so the chance of violence isn't very high, but you never know, stuff happens.

When I was involved with law enforcement we called guys like "Dog" countertop commandos. Oh, and he’s got a raging mullet. :D

dman
09-04-2006, 09:07 PM
I enjoyed watching Steve Irwin, and this is a tragedy, but somewhat expected. The man seemed to be on borrowed time as it was. After so long i grew tired of his antics, and I went to just watching the Jeff Corwin Experience. Corwin is both insightful and entertaining, while never losing site of personal safety.

But, RIP Mr. Irwin, you really will be missed.

WVRed
09-04-2006, 09:25 PM
His show is on A&E, usually about once every 2 hours or so.

If you've never seen him in action, you should have a look.

9 PM EST on Tuesday nights.

Well, the main theme of every episode is find somebody who is high on ice, say a prayer, track them down, cuss at them, demoralize them, then Dog tells them of all the things he has learned when he met Jesus and got out of prison, give them a cigarette, then send them on their merry way and tell the police that they "surrendered peacefully".

oneupper
09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Very sad. Hope people do not get the wrong idea about Stingrays. They are gentle creatures and very rarely attack and it is almost unheard of that they cause a fatality.

Irwin was incredibly unlucky THIS TIME. Seems like a FINAL DESTINATION death if I ever heard of one. He cheated death...death came for him in the strangest way.

Razor Shines
09-04-2006, 09:59 PM

No doubt he tempted fate, but he knew what he was doing. He knew what he could and could not do with Gators. This thing with the sting-ray was extremely freaky. I heard an "expert" say that there have only been 3 or 4 recorded deaths by sting-ray and that the last two were in the 1950s. I don't know if that's true, but I have no reason not to believe it.

lo ryder
09-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Thank you. I hate that he died and hate it for his family, but its not like this didnt come as a shock.

And this added what to this post? I get neg feedback without malicious intent while esteemed members of the Big Red Forum roam free and highjack posts. I hope some of you dont live in glass houses.

PS ....this is a great forum with some hypocrites.

Falls City Beer
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
And this added what to this post? I get neg feedback without malicious intent while esteemed members of the Big Red Forum roam free and highjack posts. I hope some of you dont live in glass houses.

:confused:

TeamCasey
09-05-2006, 05:10 AM

Yeah, me too.

paintmered
09-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Folks, let's keep this thread from falling off the deep end so please keep the comments on topic.

If you want to air dirty laundry, there are PMs for that.

savafan
09-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Folks, let's keep this thread from falling off the deep end

Wow...was there a pun in that?

I'm still waiting for this all to sink in. For some reason, it's not seeming real to me just yet. I was a huge fan of Steve's, and I tend to agree with most here who say that this is tragic, yet if he had to go, I would think that he would want to go doing what he loved. It would be harder to swallow if the Crocodile Hunter died in some mundane manner such as from heart failure in his sleep or a car accident...

max venable
09-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Who is that guy?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43967

Crash Davis
09-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Steve Irwin's Death Caught on Videotape

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060905/D8JUKHLO7.html

AIRNS, Australia (AP) - Steve Irwin was videotaped pulling a poisonous stingray barb from his chest in his last moments of life, officials said Tuesday, as tributes poured in for TV's "Crocodile Hunter."

Police said there was nothing suspicious about Irwin's death and no evidence he provoked the animal. Irwin, 44, was stabbed through the heart on Monday while snorkeling with a stingray during filming of a new TV program on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

John Stainton, Irwin's manager who was among the crew on the reef, said the fatal blow was caught on videotape, and described viewing the footage as having the "terrible" experience of watching a friend die.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," Stainton told reporters in Cairns, where Irwin's body was taken for an autopsy.

Queensland state police were holding the tape as evidence for a coroner's inquiry - a standard procedure in high-profile deaths or those caused by other than natural causes.

Experts have said the stingray may have felt trapped between the cameraman and the TV star. Irwin, the popular host of "Crocodile Hunter," rose to fame by getting dangerously close to crocodiles, snakes and other beasts.

But Queensland Police Superintendent Michael Keating said there was no evidence Irwin threatened or intimidated the stingray, a normally placid species that only deploys its poisonous tail spines as a defense.

Stainton said Irwin was in his element in the Outback, but that he and Irwin had talked about the sea posing threats the star wasn't used to.

"If ever he was going to go, we always said it was going to be the ocean," Stainton said. "On land he was agile, quick-thinking, quick-moving and the ocean puts another element there that you have no control over."

Parliament took a break from the business of running the country to pay tribute to Irwin, whose body was being flown home Tuesday from Cairns. No funeral plans were announced but state Premier Peter Beattie said Irwin would be afforded a state funeral if his family agreed.

Irwin's American wife Terri, Bindi and their son Bob, almost 3, returned late Monday from a trekking vacation in Tasmania to Australia Zoo, the wildlife park where the family lived at Beerwah in Queensland's southeast.

At the park, hundreds of people filed past the entrance laying floral bouquets and handwritten condolence messages. Khaki shirts - a trademark of Irwin - were laid out for people to sign.

"Mate, you made the world a better place," read one poster left at the gate. "Steve, our hero, our legend, our wildlife warrior," read another. "I thought you were immortal. How I wish that was true," said a third.

The park opened Tuesday because it was what Irwin would have wanted, said Gail Gipp, an animal health employee.

Irwin was propelled to global fame after his TV shows, in which he regularly wrestled with crocodiles and went face-to-face with poisonous snakes and other wild animals, were shown around world on the Discovery Channel.

The network announced plans for a marathon screening of Irwin's work and a wildlife fund in his name.

"Rarely has the world embraced an animal enthusiast and conservationist as they did Steve Irwin," Discovery Networks International President Dawn McCall said in a statement.

Experts differed on the number of human deaths caused by stingrays - anywhere from 3 to 17 - though they agreed that they were extremely rare.

registerthis
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Well, so much for the idea that his death was instantaneous and painless. I'd say he probably felt that one quite a bit.

Very sad, indeed, but also entirely forseeable. I think Steve had a great love of animals and was by all rights a good man, but I also think he went to great lengths to place himself in precarious and dangerous situations, and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

It's terribly unfortunate that Steve's wife and children will now have to go on without a husband or father. And what a freak way to go--barbed by a stingray. At least he was doing what he enjoyed.

savafan
09-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I pray that video never gets released

max venable
09-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Never mind.

TeamBoone
09-05-2006, 02:35 PM
This broke my heart.

Rojo
09-05-2006, 04:21 PM

Actually, I was kind of thinking that. He seemed like a nice man and I'm sad he's gone, but I have mixed feelings about his "act".

Falls City Beer
09-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Actually, I was kind of thinking that. He seemed like a nice man and I'm sad he's gone, but I have mixed feelings about his "act".

I have mixed feelings about his act, too. Wild animals really, really dislike being wrestled and messed with. I'm not sure why people can't just stay behind the camera and let nature do her thing.

RedFanAlways1966
09-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I have mixed feelings about his act, too. Wild animals really, really dislike being wrestled and messed with. I'm not sure why people can't just stay behind the camera and let nature do her thing.

Then no one cares or watches the program... or perhaps the program never gets on TV w/out it's "thing". I am not disagreeing with you guys. However, would we know who Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin was without his personality and his act? As some would say, "It is the price you pay for fame." I felt a bit of guilt when I heard the news of Irwin's death. I enjoyed his act and his show. I wasn't a regular viewer by any means, but thought he had a good show. Made me wonder if I was part of the reason he did his thing.

Many more "jobs" have hazards that can be costly: NFL, boxing, fireman, police officer, race car driver, window washer, electrician, construction, highway worker, etc.

No matter the danger there will always be people who will do it. Whether it is the pure enjoyment of the thrill (parachutists) or the need for fame. I don't get it... but people still do it.

WVRed
09-05-2006, 08:53 PM

Actually, Dog and Steve Irvin are a lot alike. Both risk their lives doing something they both enjoy and if both were killed in the line of their work, it wouldnt necessarily come across as a shock.

That is the reference I was aiming for.

On a side note, I wouldnt be surprised if there are bootleg copies of the videotape on the internet somewhere.

paintmered
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Actually, Dog and Steve Irvin are a lot alike. Both risk their lives doing something they both enjoy and if both were killed in the line of their work, it wouldnt necessarily come across as a shock.

That is the reference I was aiming for.

On a side note, I wouldnt be surprised if there are bootleg copies of the videotape on the internet somewhere.

I watched Dog for the first time tonight. Many of the comments here are pretty spot on - he's a total loon. I think he's got one thing going for him that is helps keep him alive - the people he's going after are all too hooped up on narcotics to know what to do when he gets there. Plus, he's backed up by his rediculously large family.

The similiarities certainly are there between Dog and Steve Irwin. Tragedy can strike at any second.

HotCorner
09-06-2006, 09:24 AM
I pray that video never gets released

Should public see tape of stingray death?

NEW YORK -- ''If I'm going to die,'' the late ''Crocodile Hunter'' Steve Irwin said in a 2002 interview, ''at least I want it filmed.''

A tape does exist of Irwin's fatal encounter with a stingray while filming a TV show. And so the question arises: In the age of instant Web videos, might it get out? And in the broader sense, is making footage of a death public ever justified?

For its part, Discovery Communications, the network where Irwin became a star, said there was absolutely no truth to rumors that the footage, now in possession of police in Queensland, Australia, might be released.

But that doesn't mean there aren't concerns that someone could attempt to get their hands on it and publicize it for lurid means -- or just to show they had it. That, said media analyst Martin Kaplan, would be tantamount to a snuff film.

''The only remote justification for publicizing this would be accident prevention,'' said Kaplan, of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Southern California. ''But that argument is a stretch.'' Experts say deaths from a stingray encounter are exceedingly rare.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Irwin stated in the past that if his death was captured on film he want everyone to see it. The same radio report said his wife was going to honor his wishes.

max venable
09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I heard on the radio yesterday that Irwin stated in the past that if his death was captured on film he want everyone to see it. The same radio report said his wife was going to honor his wishes.

I want to see it. Am I sick?

RedFanAlways1966
09-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Not sure, but the people who rent "Faces of Death" love your type! ;)

max venable
09-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Not sure, but the people who rent "Faces of Death" love your type! ;)

i guarantee there are way more "my types" than not.

NJReds
09-06-2006, 11:35 AM

FWIW, Irwin's producer said last night on CNN that he wants the tape destroyed once it comes back from the police; and that it should never and will never be aired.

beb30
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I'll go ahead and state I'd like to see it as well, not b/c im sick simply out of curiousity.

beb30
09-06-2006, 11:37 AM
FWIW, Irwin's producer said last night on CNN that he wants the tape destroyed once it comes back from the police; and that it should never and will never be aired.

I bet it leaks, things like this (videos, music, etc.) always do.......

NJReds
09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I bet it leaks, things like this (videos, music, etc.) always do.......

I agree with you. It'll get out at some point. Unless the guy really does destroy the only copy (and the cops haven't duped it).

Yachtzee
09-06-2006, 12:59 PM

I think it will depend on who owns the tape. If it belongs to Irwin's estate, then it should be handled according to the wishes of the deceased. It sounds like he had already taken his own mortality into account, so it's likely he's expressed his wishes about such a tape to those who will likely be responsible for handling his estate.

westofyou
09-06-2006, 01:10 PM

Kind of like the audio tape of the "Grizzly Man" being mauled, director Werner Herzog listened to it and told the woman who owned it, "Never listen to it and destroy it."

Sweetstop
09-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Kind of like the audio tape of the "Grizzly Man" being mauled, director Werner Herzog listened to it and told the woman who owned it, "Never listen to it and destroy it."

Good point. Actually, Irwin would make a good subject for one of Herzog's always interesting documentaries about idiosyncratic characters.

Falls City Beer
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
I'll be a prig and say that I think it's indecent to watch people die for entertainment reasons.

Rojo
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I'll be a prig and say that I think it's indecent to watch people die for entertainment reasons.

A while back there was a video going around of a guy's head being lopped off. I refused to look at it. Am I curious? Yes. Is that curiosity natural. Probably. Doesn't mean I should look.

Everyone should at least be afforded a dignified death. Amusing office workers on YouTube is anything but.

savafan
09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
A while back there was a video going around of a guy's head being lopped off. I refused to look at it. Am I curious? Yes. Is that curiosity natural. Probably. Doesn't mean I should look.

Everyone should at least be afforded a dignified death. Amusing office workers on YouTube is anything but.

Is that the Nicholas Berg video you're referring to? I saw it...and I puked...

RBA
09-06-2006, 03:46 PM

Yes. If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

Rojo
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Is that the Nicholas Berg video you're referring to? I saw it...and I puked...

That's it. Just say no.

max venable
09-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes. If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

What's that supposed to mean?

I'm just saying that I'd be curious to see it. I wouldn't call it entertainment. Maybe it is...but I don't see it that way. I'm just the curious type.

Just being honest. I just think that I, like most people, would be curious to see it (IMO).

Would I enjoy watching it? No. Am I curious about it? Yes. I think those answers determine whether or not someone is "sick."

RBA
09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm not a physcholigist, nor do I play one on T.V. So sorry, for my answer to your question.

max venable
09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm not a physcholigist, nor do I play one on T.V. So sorry, for my answer to your question.

Did you, by chance, sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

TeamBoone
09-06-2006, 05:43 PM
They were filming for his TV show... I'd assume the tape belongs to the production company. Did he own the production company?

Chip R
09-07-2006, 09:24 AM

But the movie and TV industry rakes in billions of dollars by showing movies and shows where people get killed. Look at Clint Eastwood. If it weren't for the Dirty Harry movies he wouldn't be the star he is today. Now I realize there's a difference between an actor getting killed in a movie and someone in real life getting killed but if you think about it, there's a pretty thin line between the two.

Blimpie
09-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Kind of like the audio tape of the "Grizzly Man" being mauled, director Werner Herzog listened to it and told the woman who owned it, "Never listen to it and destroy it."I agree with what you are saying. However, one thing to add to the mix in the "Grizzly Man" incident is that there was also one other lady killed in the same fatal attack.

Perhaps her family may have tried to step in to stop the footage from airing even if Herzog had not already vetoed the concept.

Roy Tucker
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
But the movie and TV industry rakes in billions of dollars by showing movies and shows where people get killed. Look at Clint Eastwood. If it weren't for the Dirty Harry movies he wouldn't be the star he is today. Now I realize there's a difference between an actor getting killed in a movie and someone in real life getting killed but if you think about it, there's a pretty thin line between the two.

This got me to thinking.

I personally have seen 2 people get killed. One was a young girl get hit by a car and one was I saw someone shot when I was in college. Both affected me pretty deeply (couldn't sleep for weeks, relived it endlessly, got the shakes afterwards, puked, the whole 9 yards).

I can watch a movie where someone gets killed and it's no big deal.

But someone showed me once a web site where it had videos of people getting actually killed. I guess I was curious. I watched the first one and I immediately relived all the previous mental and physical effects of seeing real honest-to-God violent death.

Maybe its just me, but I have absolutely no desire to ever see something like that again.

Anyhow, RIP Steve Irwin.

westofyou
09-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Maybe its just me, but I have absolutely no desire to ever see something like that again.

Yep, I've seen people strewn on the highway, a gun fight and a guy run over by a roller coaster.

I'll pass.

GAC
09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
I saw an old man get shoved out into the street, mauled, and killed while attending the Running Of The Bulls in Spain. The people seemed to pay no never mind and went on with the "celebration". Me and my buddies kinda stood there in shock.

The desire (or thrill) into today's society towards violence, and especially extreme "live" violence simply amazes me. it's like many can't get enough of it and want more. People are desensitized to it it seems. Very sad IMO.

I remember a popular series of videos that were out years ago called "The Faces of Death". I refused to watch any of them, but had friends who enjoyed them.

minus5
09-07-2006, 11:49 AM

Personally I see one hell of a big line between the two. As a rational human, I know that I will see Hal Holbrook in another movie after getting blown up by Clint Eastwood in the one I am watching. I also know that seeing a father of two die for real on the screen, he is leaving a couple of kids without a father. To me, anyway, that line is pretty distinct no matter how much I think about it.

beb30
09-07-2006, 11:56 AM
That's it. Just say no.

I saw the Berg video and a few others as well, it was pretty gruesume, however I do believe that it is good to see it for education purposes. People need to see this to see this kind of evil does exist.

minus5
09-07-2006, 11:58 AM
The desire (or thrill) into today's society towards violence, and especially extreme "live" violence simply amazes me. it's like many can't get enough of it and want more. People are desensitized to it it seems. Very sad IMO.

I remember a popular series of videos that were out years ago called "The Faces of Death". I refused to watch any of them, but had friends who enjoyed them.

I agree. I am a huge fan of the horror genre and a few of my friends thought that I would be all over the Faces of Death series when they came out. Getting entertainment from watching the suffering and death of other people though could not be further from what I would ever want. I enjoy horror for what it is, escapism. A good horror/thriller is like a rollercoaster ride without leaving your favorite chair. Someone making money (or getting enjoyment)from someone else's actual death, seems depraved to me.

OldRightHander
09-07-2006, 12:48 PM
I saw the Berg video and a few others as well, it was pretty gruesume, however I do believe that it is good to see it for education purposes. People need to see this to see this kind of evil does exist.

I know what happened to Berg without seeing it with my own two eyes. I just don't think I need to see the video to reinforce what I think about the people who did it.

As for death in movies, I can watch it and not be too affected, but even then, it depends on the kind of death. If it's a war movie and people are dying in a battle scene, I can take it ok, no matter how graphic, but if a cold blooded murder is portrayed, it chills me to the bone. I guess I see one as serving some purpose and the other as being totally senseless, but that debate is for another day and another board.

Rojo
09-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Oh please.

westofyou
09-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Oh please.

I also think they should see the kind of evil that lingers outside of Ben and Jerry's on Haight.. do you?

Rojo
09-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I also think they should see the kind of evil that lingers outside of Ben and Jerry's on Haight.. do you?

I lived about 2 blocks from there from 1995 to 2003. One day I'm walking along Haight with two bags of groceries in my hands. I'm in a shirt and tie because I just had a job interview. As I step up from the street to the curb in front of Ben and Jerry's the front of my foot just....doesn't....quite.....clear the curb and I do a big face plant.

Luckily I wasn't hurt, but all the runaways, street-people, CHUDs, etc... burst out laughing. I was angry at first, but I had to admit, it was funny.

Here's my tip for falling -- stay on the ground. When you just stay there and shake your head you're admitting that it was funny. Its a kind of preemptive self-deprecation.

zombie-a-go-go
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I lived about 2 blocks from there from 1995 to 2003. One day I'm walking along Haight with two bags of groceries in my hands. I'm in a shirt and tie because I just had a job interview. As I step up from the street to the curb in front of Ben and Jerry's the front of my foot just....doesn't....quite.....clear the curb and I do a big face plant.

Luckily I wasn't hurt, but all the runaways, street-people, CHUDs, etc... burst out laughing. I was angry at first, but I had to admit, it was funny.

Here's my tip for falling -- stay on the ground. When you just stay there and shake your head you're admitting that it was funny. Its a kind of preemptive self-deprecation.

There are Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers in San Francisco?

That Bud guy was an okay fella, but I'd watch out for the rest of them, were I you.

minus5
09-07-2006, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=zombie-a-go-go;1154338]There are Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers in San Francisco?
QUOTE]

http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2005/MERC-Jan-20-Thu-2005/photos/chud.jpg

beb30
09-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I know what happened to Berg without seeing it with my own two eyes. I just don't think I need to see the video to reinforce what I think about the people who did it.

No you don't know what happened unless you actually see it. Thinking about what happened is one thing, actually seeing it is another.......

beb30
09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh please.

Oh please what?

Rojo
09-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Oh please what?

Its a rationalization, an old one.

beb30
09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Its a rationalization, an old one.

Do explain what you are trying to rationalize, since its clear you disagree....:confused:

Falls City Beer
09-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Do explain what you are trying to rationalize, since its clear you disagree....:confused:

There's no "educational" value in watching people get beheaded; it's prurient, puerile, and indecent. Your reason, that it teaches "us" about evil, is a rationalization, the psychological equivalent of a dog kicking his back legs to cover his dookie.

Rojo
09-07-2006, 04:21 PM
the psychological equivalent of a dog kicking his back legs to cover his dookie.

Or getting a lapdance because your a student of human behavior.

Dom Heffner
09-07-2006, 04:24 PM
From Snopes:

Faces of Death: Possibly the most famous of all films pointed to as "snuff" is the Faces Of Death series, a sequence of six videos made up of footage of accidents, suicides, autopsies, and executions, liberally peppered with outright fakes scenes. Most of the actual death scenes shown in these films are of the post-death variety. The multiple camera angles give away the acted-out nature of many of the most compelling scenes. "

Anyone watching these could tell these were fake.

To Chip's point: The difference between real and fake violence is that the latter is nothing like the former. On T.V., if someone is shot in the chest, you see a red hole. In real life, there can be spraying blood and other unpleasantries that go along with it.

I've always said that the problem with T.V. violence is that it isn't violent enough. If people saw just how awful it is to kill someone instead of the watered down version we get from Hollywood, it might make people stop and think about it.

dabvu2498
09-07-2006, 04:39 PM
prurient
Not sure what this adjective has to do with watching someone's death.

I've always said that the problem with T.V. violence is that it isn't violent enough. If people saw just how awful it is to kill someone instead of the watered down version we get from Hollywood, it might make people stop and think about it.

Agreed... I saw one once, live and in living color, right in front of me. Three words: twelve gauge shotgun. Oddly enough, seeing that desensitized me to all that type of thing now.

Falls City Beer
09-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Not sure what this adjective has to do with watching someone's death.

You've never heard of the interrelatedness between the pornographic and the horrifically violent? And their interchangeability?

It's all a kind of lustiness, which is the root of the adjective prurient: lustful or unhealthily fetishistic.

Watching stuff like this is pure "gore porn."

WMR
09-07-2006, 09:38 PM
I would watch the tape of Steve Irwin. Not because I have a fascination with seeing people killed, but b/c it all sounds so bizarre and, admittedly, also because he is the Crocodile Hunter.

A buddy tried to get me to watch the Berg beheading video once on his computer but I walked out of his room after two seconds. I definitely don't need/want to see crap like that.

max venable
09-07-2006, 10:54 PM
I would watch the tape of Steve Irwin. Not because I have a fascination with seeing people killed, but b/c it all sounds so bizarre and, admittedly, also because he is the Crocodile Hunter.

Thank you. This is what I'm saying. I'm curious.

And for the record...I have not seen the Berg thing...and like WilyMo, I have no desire to.

Yachtzee
09-08-2006, 12:32 AM
There are Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers in San Francisco?

That Bud guy was an okay fella, but I'd watch out for the rest of them, were I you.

Ah, CHUDs. With all the zombie move remakes lately, when is someone going to bring back our friends the CHUDs?

Dom Heffner
09-08-2006, 12:42 AM
This is what I'm saying. I'm curious.

Not me- Even my curiosity couldn't get me to watch his death.

Out of respect for the guy if nothing else.

max venable
09-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Not me- Even my curiosity couldn't get me to watch his death.

Out of respect for the guy if nothing else.

Guess you're a better person than me.

RedFanAlways1966
09-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Strange? I favor the death penalty, but I have no desire to watch any human die. Just a fact.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 09:26 AM
I don't feel that wanting to watch the video makes a person sick. Curiosity about death is as natural as death itself... I thought about watching it. Would I? Maybe. maybe not. It's just the same as trying to look at an accident on the highway. Nearly everyone does it. It doesn't mean we veiw it as entertainment. For some, it's closure, and for some it's just comforting, to know that we aren't alone in our mortality.

Steve Irwin's job was dangerous, he knew it, and he did it anyway. Why? Because he loved it. It doesn't detract from the tragedy. The world lost a good man, that's always sad, regardless of the circumstances...:(

TeamCasey
09-08-2006, 09:30 AM
The greatest thing I wish in all this is that the press don't hound the family. I see all this focus on Bindi and it makes me sad. She's just a little girl.

Falls City Beer
09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't feel that wanting to watch the video makes a person sick. Curiosity about death is as natural as death itself... I thought about watching it. Would I? Maybe. maybe not. It's just the same as trying to look at an accident on the highway. Nearly everyone does it. It doesn't mean we veiw it as entertainment. For some, it's closure, and for some it's just comforting, to know that we aren't alone in our mortality.

Steve Irwin's job was dangerous, he knew it, and he did it anyway. Why? Because he loved it. It doesn't detract from the tragedy. The world lost a good man, that's always sad, regardless of the circumstances...:(

I think by the time one is an adult, he or she has seen several dead people, in various situations. I, for one, have seen too many.

But to suggest there's something "educational" in watching Steve Irwin's death (unless you're an insurance investigator) is an excuse: if you have a yen to watch it, it's because you're titillated by the sight of someone suffering and dying. Is that merely sating curiosity? I don't know. Is it "natural" (whatever the hell that means)? I don't know, and I don't care. Is it for titillation's sake? Absolutely.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I think by the time one is an adult, he or she has seen several dead people, in various situations. I, for one, have seen too many.

But to suggest there's something "educational" in watching Steve Irwin's death (unless you're an insurance investigator) is an excuse: if you have a yen to watch it, it's because you're titillated by the sight of someone suffering and dying. Is that merely sating curiosity? I don't know. Is it "natural" (whatever the hell that means)? I don't know, and I don't care. Is it for titillation's sake? Absolutely.

Not everyone who wants to watch the video wants to for the reasons you seem to think. That was all I wanted to say. The world is not black and white.

max venable
09-08-2006, 10:01 AM
if you have a yen to watch it, it's because you're titillated by the sight of someone suffering and dying. Is that merely sating curiosity? I don't know. Is it "natural" (whatever the hell that means)? I don't know, and I don't care. Is it for titillation's sake? Absolutely.

No it's not. It's like anything else...you hear so much about it, you become curious as to how it happened. I don't want to see it for the sake of seeing a dude die. I'm just curious to see this "mysterious, freak accident." It's not a "death" thing. If he'd survived it, I'd still be curious to see it. If it was a close call, I'd be curious to see it. I've never been titillated by the sight of someone suffering and dying. It bothers me, big time. So, it's not that I would get a kick out of seeing someone die. No way...not ever. I'm just a curious type. If I saw it, no doubt it would bother me. And I'm certainly not curious enough to ever pay to see something like that.

max venable
09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Here's an example: United 93 is in my Nexflix queue right now. Am I going to enjoy watching it? No. But I'm interested in the significance of the event.

NJReds
09-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Will Crocodile Hunter's Final Scene Be Televised?

Although "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin once remarked in a TV interview that he hoped his death would be caught on camera, the Discovery Channel has said that it will not broadcast footage taken at the time he was fatally attacked by a stingray on the Great Barrier Reef Monday. Journalism ethicists have applauded the decision. Martin Kaplan, a media analyst with the USC/Annenberg School for Communication, told the Associated Press that the footage is tantamount to a snuff film. Samuel Freedman, who teaches media ethics at Columbia, added similarly, "It would be purely titillation and necrophilia if anyone were to show this." The footage is currently in the hands of the local coroner's office, which is investigating the death. Which raises the question, what if the tape shows that Irwin could have been warned about the attacking stingray? Or what if he was seen taunting it? What if it shows in some other way that the attack could have been prevented? On Wednesday, Australian survival expert Ray Mears commented, "The voyeurism we are seeing on television has a cost and it's that cost Steve Irwin's family are paying today."

Falls City Beer
09-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Not everyone who wants to watch the video wants to for the reasons you seem to think. That was all I wanted to say. The world is not black and white.

The frisson of curiosity sated is like virtually any pleasure. It's not black and white, but to say it's not for the sake of satisfying something in the pleasure centers of our brain is a rationalization.

Falls City Beer
09-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Will Crocodile Hunter's Final Scene Be Televised?

Although "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin once remarked in a TV interview that he hoped his death would be caught on camera, the Discovery Channel has said that it will not broadcast footage taken at the time he was fatally attacked by a stingray on the Great Barrier Reef Monday. Journalism ethicists have applauded the decision. Martin Kaplan, a media analyst with the USC/Annenberg School for Communication, told the Associated Press that the footage is tantamount to a snuff film. Samuel Freedman, who teaches media ethics at Columbia, added similarly, "It would be purely titillation and necrophilia if anyone were to show this." The footage is currently in the hands of the local coroner's office, which is investigating the death. Which raises the question, what if the tape shows that Irwin could have been warned about the attacking stingray? Or what if he was seen taunting it? What if it shows in some other way that the attack could have been prevented? On Wednesday, Australian survival expert Ray Mears commented, "The voyeurism we are seeing on television has a cost and it's that cost Steve Irwin's family are paying today."

Thank you Mr. Freedman for calling as it is. Gore porn. Pure titillation.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 10:52 AM
The frisson of curiosity sated is like virtually any pleasure. It's not black and white, but to say it's not for the sake of satisfying something in the pleasure centers of our brain is a rationalization.

I must say that I have no witty retort for that. The thread was meant to pay respects to the Crocodile Hunter, not to argue motive. Continuation of this conversation will only serve in getting the thread locked, and I'll have no part in that, so good day to you.

Roy Tucker
09-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I had to look up frisson

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2005/05/06.html

I think I'll use it on my wife tonight :cool:

max venable
09-08-2006, 11:04 AM

There are a lot of long words in there, sir; we're naught but humble Reds fans.

I must say that I have no witty retort for that. The thread was meant to pay respects to the Crocodile Hunter, not to argue motive. Continuation of this conversation will only serve in getting the thread locked, and I'll have no part in that, so good day to you.

That and nobody knows what it means. :thumbup:

TeamCasey
09-08-2006, 11:40 AM
:wave: I want to be frissoned. :devil:

Falls City Beer
09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
There are a lot of long words in there, sir; we're naught but humble Reds fans.

That and nobody knows what it means. :thumbup:

You can't look up one word? ;)

zombielady
09-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I like using big words. It makes me feel all smart and stuff...

ochre
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I like using big words. It makes me feel all smart and stuff...
Ahh. There is nothing quite like the frisson of healthy noesis applied to a well endowed lexicon.

Rojo
09-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Frisson, tune in and drop out. Frisson Wayne, Frisson Garth.

Roy Tucker
09-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Ahh. There is nothing quite like the frisson of healthy noesis applied to a well endowed lexicon.

Dang. I think I suffer from lexicon envy.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 01:27 PM

:laugh: exactly...

max venable
09-08-2006, 02:32 PM
You can't look up one word? ;)

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. (means "no") ;)

Chip R
09-08-2006, 03:48 PM
This thread is beginning to sound like a tribute to DanO.

GAC
09-08-2006, 08:10 PM
This thread is beginning to sound like a tribute to DanO.

Which one?

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/P/htmlP/policeprogra/policeprograIMAGE/policeprogra3.jpg

TeamCasey
09-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Nice tribute today on Animal Planet.

Blimpie
09-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Nice tribute today on Animal Planet.Nice to see that somebody on TV finally appreciates Dan O'Brien...