Pre ASB: .221/.314/.348 - .662 OPS

22 XBH (15 2B, 4 3B, 3 HR)
34 bb/83 k
253 atbats

Post ASB: .286/.432/.579 - 1.011 OPS

18 XBH (6 2B, 3 3B, 9 HR)
31 bb/46 k
133 atbats

Is Chris Dickerson finally putting it together or is this just a hot streak? He has always been considered a 5-tool talent but has never put his tools to use. Could he finally be doing that? His defense is considered major league ready right now, if his bat is starting to catch up with his defense then we have may ourselves a big prospect. His speed and athletic ability reminds me of Curtis Granderson, although Dickerson is bigger. Let's hope he is finally realizing his potential.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chris%20Dickerson&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=447736

Superdude
09-04-2006, 07:58 PM
The thing I love is that he's a toolsy outfielder with an excellent eye at the plate. Because of that rare combo, I've always liked Dickerson as a prospect. I defintely hope he's putting it together.

Who would you take right now, Dickerson or Strait?

TC81190
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
How old is he?

And, I'd take Dickerson over Strait

Doc. Scott
09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Both have similar tools, but Dickerson draws many more walks. Of course, he also strikes out more.

I need to see Strait in AA, though- he survived the FSL quite nicely, all things considered.

Patrick Bateman
09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
The thing I love is that he's a toolsy outfielder with an excellent eye at the plate. Because of that rare combo, I've always liked Dickerson as a prospect. I defintely hope he's putting it together.

Who would you take right now, Dickerson or Strait?

Good point. He's always been in the back of my mind for that reason.

The one negative is that he's 24 meaning he's a little old for AA. It's very promising that he's finally started hitting since he's never really done it before. Combined with great defense and patience, if his good hitting can carry over next year in AAA we may have something special here.

TOBTTReds
09-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Dickerson over Strait

Superdude
09-07-2006, 08:54 PM
It's very promising that he's finally started hitting since he's never really done it before.

He batted over .300 in Dayton a few years ago.

Doc. Scott
09-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Dickerson just starting showing power last season. I'd say the next thing on his agenda, besides durability, is making better contact. No, strikeouts aren't evil, but I fear that players averaging more than a strikeout per game have holes in their swing that get them exploited at higher levels. BJ Szymanski, that goes for you, too.

johngalt
09-07-2006, 10:49 PM
It's gonna be tough for him unless he really picks it up against lefties. I mean, a sub-.200 average against southpaws at AA doesn't typically bode well.

Rojo
09-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Dickerson just starting showing power last season. I'd say the next thing on his agenda, besides durability, is making better contact. No, strikeouts aren't evil, but I fear that players averaging more than a strikeout per game have holes in their swing that get them exploited at higher levels. BJ Szymanski, that goes for you, too.

I fear that as well. Just as you look for swing-and-miss pitchers, you want to avoid swing-and-miss hitters. That being said, a K-rate hitter with a lot of walks may just point to young player figuring out the zone and taking pitches he shouldn't.

RedsManRick
09-14-2006, 06:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with a guy with serious platoon splits. A guy who can OPS .850 vs Righties is very valuable if you have a manager smart enough to platoon him with a guy who can hit lefties. Think Trot Nixon...

johngalt
09-14-2006, 10:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with a guy with serious platoon splits. A guy who can OPS .850 vs Righties is very valuable if you have a manager smart enough to platoon him with a guy who can hit lefties. Think Trot Nixon...

Normally those extreme splits don't really take form until the majors, though. When you have a guy in AA at 24 with no clue against lefties. that really makes it difficult to project him doing a whole lot in the bigs.

RedsManRick
09-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Normally those extreme splits don't really take form until the majors, though. When you have a guy in AA at 24 with no clue against lefties. that really makes it difficult to project him doing a whole lot in the bigs.

Is that really true though? I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't able to find L/R minor league split numbers to back that up.

Cyclone792
09-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Is that really true though? I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't able to find L/R minor league split numbers to back that up.

The Minor League Splits Database is our good friend ...

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=447736&tm=ChaSL&bp=b

BTW, I believe a lone fan/programmer created this database earlier this season so the hope is he not only continues the database for further seasons, but also expands it for career numbers that span multiple seasons from this season forward.

mbgrayson
09-22-2006, 06:04 PM
MILB.com also has splits on all minorleague players at THIS LINK (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/).

The direct link to Dickerson is HERE (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Christopher%20Dickerson&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=447736). Note that the numbers are a little different from the link above.