PDA

View Full Version : Does Narron get fired at seasons' end if...

Jim Fazio
09-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Do you think Narron gets fired if Reds fall way out of contention or do they honor his deal? I say he's gone if the Reds have any interest in winning in the future.

reds1869
09-04-2006, 10:23 PM
He SHOULD be gone if the free fall continues but that doesn't mean anything. IMO, our new ownership/management has shown they'll pull the trigger, so perhaps he'll go bye bye.

Always Red
09-04-2006, 10:24 PM
They just re-signed Narron 2 months ago; he's not going anywhere before at least the All Star break next year.

Narron needs a good bench coach and a new pitching coach, unless Vern Ruhle can come back to full time work.

George Foster
09-04-2006, 10:27 PM
They just re-signed Narron 2 months ago; he's not going anywhere before at least the All Star break next year.

Narron needs a good bench coach and a new pitching coach, unless Vern Ruhle can come back to full time work.

K will try and justify the re-signing of Narron by keeping him. Man-pride is a powerful thing.

reds1869
09-04-2006, 10:27 PM

Bucky Dent is a very knowledgable bench coach. I don't really see why he needs to be replaced.

91OSUAlum
09-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I wish they would can Narron but I think it could be argued that the Reds OVERACHIEVED up to this point. I am friends with one of the minority owners and since back in May, he said this team was . 500 team with not situational hitters and poor defense.

They are going to continue to mix and match and then see if the Reds are better next year. I was so excited that the Reds stayed this long but the season is over. Harang has not been able to close the deal the last few games and Narron cannot make a good decision right now. If he had not left Harang out there, then the bullpen would have blown it. It is just the way it goes right now.

Oh well. Reds still rock!

Reds4Life
09-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Narron isn't going anywhere, even if the Reds tank from now until the end of the season.

The only name out there that would really fire up Reds fans is Piniella; he would cost a fortune and wants to win right away. Given the Reds current position the type of payroll Lou would want isn't really a possibility.

Always Red
09-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Bucky Dent is a very knowledgable bench coach. I don't really see why he needs to be replaced.

Maybe Jerry just needs to listen to him more?? I've been a Narron backer all year, and have defended him to the many criticisms here. Some of that criticism is certainly justified. He continues to make poor decisions- like the decision not to play Junior against Wells, IMO (if it's May or June, it's OK to rest Junior; in September, with our back against the wall and no one else in the OF with pop, Junior has to play). Someone has to talk sense to Narron; not sure if Bucky is doing that or not, or if Narron just does what he thinks is best without getting Dent's input? Not sure, that kind of thing would be great to be addressed on TC's baseball podcast.

Highlifeman21
09-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe the Reds need to set a precedent and eat Narron's extension.

Maybe they need to be trendsetters and can him, buy him out, and find someone else to lead this team.

Oh, to dream.

Reds4Life
09-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Plus, since Krivsky seems to model everything after the Twins, they didn't have a history of paying managers huge money while he was there. I guess BobC could go over Wanye's head, but he doesn't seem like that type of guy.

Redus
09-04-2006, 11:40 PM
He needs to go. The guy is a crappy game manager. You wanna win next year? It starts with dropping the axe on Narron. Eat the money you were foolish to give him in the first place.

redsfan4445
09-05-2006, 12:39 AM
I feel Narron has done exactly as Miley did.. (Manage to win early in the season, get a extension then manage like crap afterwards)

I say this if BOB has his way now, Narron will get the ax and Lou will be here opening day 2007!!

Caveat Emperor
09-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Do you think Narron gets fired if Reds fall way out of contention or do they honor his deal? I say he's gone if the Reds have any interest in winning in the future.

People really want to rip on Narron -- but did anyone really think this team would be playing meaningful baseball this far into the season?

They've already exceeded the number of wins I had them pegged for this year. I can't see firing Narron bringing them any closer to a WS title. Go get better pitching instead.

TOBTTReds
09-05-2006, 01:15 AM
They've already exceeded the number of wins I had them pegged for this year. I can't see firing Narron bringing them any closer to a WS title. Go get better pitching instead.

Do you credit Narron for this? I credit WK for getting Arroyo, Ross, BP, and Hatte. Who would have guessed all 4 of those guys would be in team MVP talks.

tomred
09-05-2006, 01:25 AM
I think tonight the players except Rich and Scott were sleepwalking out there I know if we worked that way it would not be our boss fault

TOBTTReds
09-05-2006, 01:29 AM
I think tonight the players except Rich and Scott were sleepwalking out there I know if we worked that way it would not be our boss fault

I will kindly disagree. Motivation and getting your 'employees' to work is a big part of a bosses job.

Anyway, I'd throw Freel, EdE, Harang for not sleepwalking, they played well in the field.

MrCinatit
09-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I will kindly disagree. Motivation and getting your 'employees' to work is a big part of a bosses job.

Anyway, I'd throw Freel, EdE, Harang for not sleepwalking, they played well in the field.

A most excellent point.
If I half-heart it out there, I expect to get an earful.

LexingtonRedleg
09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I want Lou back.

redsfan4445
09-05-2006, 12:40 PM
I want Lou back.

AMEN!!!!

RedRoser
09-05-2006, 06:56 PM
I agree with Redus.
And I think the Reds have been playing meaningful baseball IN SPITE OF NARRON, and for two reasons: 1) the NL is weaker and/or there is more parity than in years past, and 2) the contributions made by Castellini, Krivsky, and Co. have paid some dividends.
We still, however, have a long way to go. Here's hoping we can get there, and that there's some other manager out there that can help us more than Narron would.

---'Roser

flyer85
09-05-2006, 06:59 PM
only if Krivsky gets the ax.

icehole3
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Here's my barometer, if the Nationals catch us Narron should be replaced.

Matt700wlw
09-05-2006, 07:57 PM
If the tailspin continues, it's going to be hard for Bob Castellini to sell his team to the fans if Jerry Narron is still managing the club.

It may be anyway, even if they somehow sneak into the postseason...but I'm having my doubts about that happening.

RedRoser
09-05-2006, 10:11 PM
I would be surprised if a lot of people didn't feel that way, matt. That's how I'm seeing it anyway.

MaineRed
09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
2) the contributions made by Castellini, Krivsky, and Co. have paid some dividends.

Your right. Guys like Ross, Phillips, Arroyo and Hatteberg have been huge. The Reds are not where they are without these guys. But discrediting Narron and praising Krivsky for the dividends they have paid is not fair IMO. I don't think you can just assume that those four players are all producing as well as they are this year under a different manager.

Neither Phillips or Ross had done much in their big league careers. Hatteberg is having a career year. Why does WK get all the credit? Maybe the fact that Jerry Narron is their manager has at least something to do with it.

The believed fact that he is a moron when it comes to managing a game really doesn't have a whole lot to do with how he treats people and how people respond to his leadership. Obviously, IMO he has done something right to get the production he has gotten out of a good number of players, players you would not expect to be producing.

We still, however, have a long way to go. Here's hoping we can get there, and that there's some other manager out there that can help us more than Narron would.

I'm sure there is. There is always someone better out there. Especially in baseball. I want to see the Reds win the World Series again and I doubt if Narron is the guy who will lead us there. But at the same time I really don't think he is the reason they won't win it this year. Nor do I think his managing is setting us back in terms of where we are going in the future.

For the most part the Reds are getting either what you expected or better than expected production from just about everyone.

I don't think it is as simple as saying if we only had so and so's in game managing skills we would be doing this or that. Maybe so and so and Brandon Phillips will mix like oil and water and the brilliant in game managing skills won't even matter as we need binoculars to see the Cardinals from 5th place. Maybe so and so hates offensive catchers and Ross is DFA'd by now. Maybe so and so wants power from 1B and Hatteberg does nothing but pinch hit.

You can't just assume that everything would be the same with another guy just with better in game skills. It doesn't work that way.

2001MUgrad
09-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Narron laid his own bed IMO. The same fundamental problems were with the team all year long. The only thing he seemed to do was bench EE or Felo for their E's and that was it. Griffey and Dunn's errors and mental lapses seem to be excused on a daily basis.

gm
09-06-2006, 01:24 AM
K will try and justify the re-signing of Narron by keeping him. Man-pride is a powerful thing.

Went back and reviewed video interviews following "the extensions" back in June. Wayne was actually caught off guard by Cast's generosity. Then the other day Bob's son said that if the season ended today they'd be satisfied with the organization's progress. What a concept. Keep the management team (GM/Mgr) together? Red's owners thinking long term? You mean like the Braves, Cardinals or the Twins?

Short-sighted Red's fans: whining isn't everything. It's the *only* thing.