PDA

View Full Version : MLB's 20 game winners in 2006

crazybob60
09-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Ok, these threads pop up in here every so often, so with a month left in the season, I wanted to start a new one and gauge what everyone thinks on this and with the picture a little more clear who actually has a legit shot this season as winning 20 games. I believe that there are only a couple of guys who have a shot at it this season and their shot is an outside one at best and they are all in the AL, which also goes to show how weak the NL has been this season as what can be attested to the heated playoff races right now and how a team can lost almost 10 games in a row and still be very much so in the Wild Card race. Well here are the pitchers who have an opportunity. I have also include the numbers of wins they have thusfar and also according to their upcoming schedule left, and when their next pitching start is scheduled, how many starts they have left, which is a rough, very rough estimate and can change.

NL

1. Brad Penny -- LAD -- 15 (5 maybe 6 starts left)
2. Brandon Webb -- ARI -- 14 (5 starts left for sure)
2. Carlos Zambrano -- CHC -- 14 (hurt, may be done for season, but could have 5 starts left, but unlikely)
2. Steve Traschel -- NYM -- 14 (definitely 5 starts at the least left.)
2. Jason Marquis -- STL -- 14 (definitely 5 starts left)
6. Aaron Harang -- CIN -- 13 (at least 5 starts left)
6. Andy Pettitte -- HOU -- 13 (at least 5 starts left)
6. Derek Lowe -- LAD -- 13 (5 maybe 6 starts left)
6. Chris Carpenter -- STL -- 13 (6 starts left at least, could be a dark horse here if he gets really hot and they use him on short rest if in the heated Central/WC race of the NL, which pains me say so.)

AL

1. Johan Santana -- MIN -- 17 (5 starts left.)
2. Jon Garland -- CHW -- 16 (5 starts left.)
2. Chien-Ming Wang -- NYY -- 16 (5 starts left.)
2. Roy Halladay -- TOR -- 16 (should have about 5 starts left, could be 4 though.)
5. Kenny Rogers -- DET -- 15 (at least 5 starts left, maybe 6.)
5. Justin Verlander -- DET -- 15 (at least 5 starts left.)
5. Randy Johnson -- NYY -- 15 (very likely 6 starts, at least 5 though.)
5. Barry Zito -- OAK -- 15 (5 starts left.)
9. Josh Beckett -- BOS -- 14 (at least 5 starts left.)
9. Curt Schilling -- BOS -- 14 (at least 5 starts left.)
9. Joe Blanton -- OAK -- 14 (about 6 starts left, explained below...)
9. Kevin Millwood -- TEX -- 14 (5 starts left.)
13. Freddy An. Garcia -- CHW -- 13 (5 starts left.)
13. Ervin Santana -- ANA -- 13 (5 maybe 6 starts left.)
13. Mike Mussina -- NYY -- 13 (5 starts left.)
13. Vicente Padilla -- TEX -- 13 (5 maybe 6 starts left.)

Well here is my prediction...nobody from the NL wins 20 games although Penny does give it a run for its money but falls 2 games short with 18 wins. And then in the AL, Johan Santana ends up with 22 wins as he wins his last 5 games, and then Wang and Halladay both end up with 20 wins apiece and Garland falls short with 19. And I am going out on a limb here and say that Joe Blanton goes on a run and wins his last 6 games, with the A's moving up his start on the 12th to the 11th because of an off day (at least that is my prediction of what they will do), which would give him 6 starts and also give him 20 wins. That is going to be my 'real' darkhorse as opposed to the Carpenter reference above. Blanton has silently done an excellent job this season, and the former University of Kentucky standout has many good years ahead of him. Maybe we should consider bringing him back to the good side and back closer to his home here in the KY. Very much like we did with Aaron Harang and getting him from Oak-town. Now back to the question at hand, who and how many 20 game winners will we have and how many close calls as well?

Highlifeman21
09-06-2006, 11:32 PM
No 20 game winners, either league.

justincredible
09-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I think Santana gets to 20, but thats it.

ThatPitchIsDunn
09-07-2006, 12:24 PM
4 pitchers from the AL get it: Santana, Halladay, Wang and Garland.

And to think Wang was thought of as trade fodder last year.

ChatterRed
09-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Santana will be the only one.

GoGoWhiteSox
09-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Garland, Halladay, and Santana will get to 20 wins.

crazybob60
09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
4 pitchers from the AL get it: Santana, Halladay, Wang and Garland.

And to think Wang was thought of as trade fodder last year.

wasn't garland having just an ok season up until the all star break and then he turned it on, and he was also in trade talks as well, wasn't he? I could be wrong with this info, but I think it is correct....

marcshoe
09-07-2006, 07:01 PM
wasn't garland having just an ok season up until the all star break and then he turned it on, and he was also in trade talks as well, wasn't he? I could be wrong with this info, but I think it is correct....

In the off season there was a lot of talk on this board (which I agreed with) that Garland's success last year was an illusion, and that there was a good chance the White Sox would try to sell him high.

I may have been wrong about that. :)