PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hitchcock Movies?

Blimpie
09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
To borrow from SanDiegoRed's recent James Bond thread, I have been watching some good old Alfred movies lately. I'll get this thing going...my favorite ones are:

Dial 'M' for Murder (1954)

Rear Window (1954)

pedro
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
North by Northwest
Rear Window

Ltlabner
09-06-2006, 08:31 PM
North By Northwest
Virtigo
Rear Window

MrCinatit
09-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Psycho, a sure classic
Rear Window.
North By Northwest
Rope
Birds
The Trouble With Harry, Sabateour, Lifeboat and Strangers On A Train were also rather good. After all, Hitch is one of my favorites.

Sweetstop
09-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Notorious
Rear Window
North By Northwest
The 39 Steps
Shadow of a Doubt

Falls City Beer
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Strangers on a Train--Robert Walker's Bruno is, IMO, Hitchcock's greatest screen invention. Anthony Perkins's acting in Psycho is better (though I think Psycho is one of Hitchcock's weakest screenplays), and Cary Grant is more loveable, but Walker's character is a once in a generation role.

North by Northwest--Cary Grant's finest hour--one of the most nuanced movies I've ever seen.

KittyDuran
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
No contest for me... North by Northwest.

Sweetstop
09-06-2006, 09:44 PM
I like the dark Cary and the erotic, perverse love affair w/ Bergman in "Notorious".... iconic Hitchcock scenes such as the classic, long crane shot of the key in Bergman's hand...the resignation of Claude Rains as he goes back into the house in the last shot of the movie , the look on his mother's face when she learns the truth about Alicia and lights that cigarette and ... of course the passionate, extended 3 minute kissing scene.. Hitchcock's best, imho.

Rear Window is a close second. I can look out that back window w/ Scottie over and over again.

CrackerJack
09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
North By Northwest
Vertigo
Rear Window

Word. Psycho's cool too. 39 Steps ain't too shabby neither.

mth123
09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
1. Rear Window
2. North by Northwest

max venable
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Put a tally mark next to Rear Window for me.

IowaRed
09-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Easily Rear Window. It's probably in the top 3 of my all-time favorite movies. I NEVER get tired of watching Grace Kelly

RedsFan75
09-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Yep Rear Window by far. Couple great performaces in Stewart and Kelly.

Great twister... Excellent movie.

Chip R
09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Easily Rear Window. It's probably in the top 3 of my all-time favorite movies. I NEVER get tired of watching Grace Kelly

Indeed. While I liked Dial M For Murder, I thought the premise unrealistic. After all, if you were married to Grace Kelly why in the world would you want to kill her? Can't go wrong with North By Northwest either. I thought Rope was interesting from a filmmaking perspective.

BuckWoody
09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Sad to say that I've not seen too many. The Birds stands out for me though.

Does anyone remember Alfred Hitchcock Presents? I once saw a clip from the opening of the show where Alfred is explaining how actors get "into" character. He says something to the effect that this actor is preparing for his role as a stuffy old codger by pretending to be an elephant. The camera pulls back and he is standing next to a real elephant. Alfred looks at the animal then back at the camera and deadpans, "Excellent". :laugh:

Note to self: watch more Hitchcock movies.

i_heart_jason
09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
i really liked Spellbound

zombie-a-go-go
09-07-2006, 11:05 AM
North by Northwest and The Birds.

Alas, by the time I finally got around to watching Psycho I already knew all of the events in the film, so while it struck me as "interesting" or "well, I finally watched it," it didn't do much else for me.

OTOH, I could watch North by Northwest once a week.

westofyou
09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Rear Window, To Catch a Thief and North by Northwest.

Even harder to pick... favorite Billy Wilder films.

dabvu2498
09-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Rear Window, no question.

I've fallen asleep watching The Trouble with Harry at least 5 times. Never have seen the end of that damn movie.

minus5
09-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Da Birds. Also Rear Window (probably my favorite) and North by Northwest...though I am pretty partial to Psycho too, not to be confused with Psycho II which was crap.

Sweetstop
09-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Amazingly, Hitchcock never won an Oscar for directing a picture. (Puts Scorsese in good company, anyway)

Roy Tucker
09-07-2006, 11:25 AM
My top 3

- North by Northwest
- Vertigo
- Rear Window

IIRC, in the early 80's, they remastered the film prints and re-released them in the theatre. It was very cool to be able to see these flicks on the big screen, especially the plane scene in North by Northwest.

"Vertigo" affected me so much. I walked out of the theatre disoriented and dizzy and feeling like I ought to go slash my wrists.

I have never seen a woman as gorgeous as Grace Kelly in "Rear Window". Absolutely classic grace and beauty.

Hap
09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
http://hitchcock.tv/mov/wrong_man/images/wrong.jpg

Dan
09-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Don't forget both versions of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" oh and "Topaz"

I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, so just about any movie is great. Tops on my list:

North by Northwest
The Man Who Knew Too Much (latter version w/Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day)
Rope
Psycho
The Rear Window (I STILL have a crush on Grace Kelly)

westofyou
09-07-2006, 03:54 PM
IIRC, in the early 80's, they remastered the film prints and re-released them in the theatre. It was very cool to be able to see these flicks on the big screen, especially the plane scene in North by Northwest.

"Vertigo" affected me so much. I walked out of the theatre disoriented and dizzy and feeling like I ought to go slash my wrists.

yep, they did I saw Vertigo and Rear Window at the Bridge on Geary in San Francisco, rainy night too, perfect atmosphere post movie.

In Palo Alto they have a restored Theater calle dteh Stanford, beautiful place, only shows films prior to 1965, Double features too (It's owned by the Packard family) They just showed a mess of Hitch last month

http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/stf/

Breakfast at Tiffany's and Pillow Talk there this weekend, seen both there once upon a time.

GoGoWhiteSox
09-07-2006, 06:55 PM
The Birds!

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Psycho, a sure classic
Rear Window.
North By Northwest
Rope
Birds
The Trouble With Harry, Sabateour, Lifeboat and Strangers On A Train were also rather good. After all, Hitch is one of my favorites.

This is pretty close to my list. Rear Window looks dated, but it's a great story. Rope is cinematically intriguing. The Trouble With Harry is probably his funniest. My wife and I just watched Lifeboat and that was good too.

BoydsOfSummer
09-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Saw The Birds when I was a kid. Totally freaked me out, I would hardly go outside for a week after. I'll go with that one.

zombielady
09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I can't say that I've ever seen a hitchcock film I didn't like. Also a big fan of "Alfred Hitchcock presents". Too bad it's not on Nick@Nite anymore...