PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Ideas for the Reds

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
As folks have been talking about offseason moves, I wondered about ideas we, hardcore Reds fans, would offer to Reds management to bolster attendance in coming years.

I'd be interested in hearing ideas from folks and perhaps we can send them on to the Reds for consideration. I've had some ideas, although I'll admit I'm not sure of their merit. I have no expertise in marketing, but always have ideas. Of course, they may be doing some of this already and we're just not aware of it.

Just a few ideas I've mulled over.

Spanish language marketing With a growing Hispanic population in the region, it would be good to reach out in some of the Spanish language publications and broadcasts (Channel 12, for instance, is beginning a Spanish newscast). While baseball is not universally played in Latin America, there are enough folks from the baseball playing countries, plus you can do presentations that teach the game to those not familiar with it. While soccer has supplanted baseball in many places, particular as the sport to be played, I think the Reds (and MLB) would do well to work towards drawing these customers to themselves. A few years ago, the Reds always had their van at the Hispanic festival in Carthage. I didn't see them there, but I always thought it would be great to get some of the Latin players there too.

Urban Radio & Newspaper Again, this may be happening, but I wonder how much outreach and advertising the Reds do specifically geared towards drawing more African American fans to the game. When I go to other parks, I notice a larger number of black fans than I do at our park. We should be drawing from the whole community. Outreach to city schools is a good place to begin too (and not just Cincinnati city schools, but Hamilton, Covington, Newport, Princeton, etc.).

Ticket Vouchers for Volunteers Say what you will, Uncle Carl, certainly was philanthropic with tickets (among other things). I'd love to see the Reds do something like giving vouchers to schools and organizations to distribute to the folks that volunteer or do service around the community. Just a little thank you and some times you may be introducing a person to a game they can learn to love.

Creative promotions We discussed this on another link a long time ago. Something like the Dodgers "sleep over" nights, watch the game, sleep out on the field, watch a baseball movie on the Jumbotron.

Expand the Reds radio network This is easier said than done, but every effort should be made to restore the breadth of the Reds radio market. The team's success was always with the largeness of the overall market. We always drew up into areas that were also Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates, Indians, Tigers, etc. Marge Schott did not understand that and let that go down. I know it probably isn't easy, but it should be tried nonetheless. Part of the problem though, is that local affiliates with a 150 miles usually are unnecessary because WLW's signal is so strong, particuarly in clear weather. I remember being in Chillicothe to see the Paints play and asking the folks which station broadcast the Reds game. "700" was the answer, no one knew who broadcast it out that way other than WLW.

Get the team out there, particularly in the offseason How many of us remember a Reds player coming to the opening of a gas station or a grocery store. Whenever possible, the Reds should find area players who are willing to go out and meet fans during the offseason.

Well there's a handful. Fire away.

Ltlabner
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Fantastic thread.

I'd suggest two different approaches: Local & Fringe Markets (of course, all of these will be far more effective as the quality of the team increases).

Local:
I'd agree that having Reds players more visable all over the local market is a good thing. People just respond to meeting a ballplayer (or any "celebrity"). If kids are meeting ballplayers ("Timmy, that's Adam Dunn!) it's likely they will hound mom and dad to go to at least one ballgame to see their new hero.

Expanding Chris Welch and Adam Dunn's "Mechanics of the Game" (Whatever it's called) to a 30 minute local TV show ala Baseaball Bunch. It doesn't have to be very fancy but it (1) exposes the Reds to a wide range of people (2) helps explain the game

Hire Kent Merker as a roving "emmesary" to give speeches, meet with the local Rotary Club, etc etc. He's funny and engaging. You'd have to tear him away from the golf course.

Lastly, I'd try to get every school child in the local area through the Cincinnati Baseball Hall of Fame as a field trip or other school related activity. Again, it exposes them to baseball, it's presents the team in a "reverent" manner that is going to impress a child and hopefully create a lasting memory.

Fringe Market:
Create a roving team that basically travels from town to town doing presentations on the Reds and baseball. Have it be one of those semi-truck deals that have lots of memorbilia. Almost like a traveling museum. It would take a lot of people but I'd haul that "Reds carnavale" to every small town and berg I could find. For the bigger cities you could have past and current Reds make guest appearances. Make sure they have a never ending supply of reds t-shirts, key chains, hats, etc. to give away.

I'd triple whatever the advertising budget is for "fringe markets". Have promotional nights aimed at bringing in out-of-towners. Travel so far get a $20gas card. There are many you could do. The point is restablishing all of the "Reds Markets" that once were and increasing that fan base.

Jpup
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
A cable channel.

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Another idea I came up with was to work with either (or both) the Underground Railroad Freedom Center and the Cincinnati Historical Society Museum to put together a display on Cincinnati Negro League baseball teams. February is Black History Month and it would be a good time to get fans down to the ballpark in the dead of winter. Perhaps they already have such a display, but just a cursory glance at the Hall of Fame website didn't show anything.

dabvu2498
09-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Winning :)

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Ltlabner wrote

Lastly, I'd try to get every school child in the local area through the Cincinnati Baseball Hall of Fame as a field trip or other school related activity. Again, it exposes them to baseball, it's presents the team in a "reverent" manner that is going to impress a child and hopefully create a lasting memory.

I see a link on the Hall of Fame website which is for school groups (see http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/ballpark/museum/tours.jsp), but clearly this should be promoted more and more. They've got quite a lot of possible subject matter. And back to the ballplayer theme, see if you can get a player to stop by from time to time.

Another thought, they ought to add a Reading List to the website for English classes!

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Creative promotions We discussed this on another link a long time ago. Something like the Dodgers "sleep over" nights, watch the game, sleep out on the field, watch a baseball movie on the Jumbotron.

To build on my own idea and back to that "dead of winter" thing I mentioned. Do a dead of winter movie night. Doesn't the HOF have a little theater (I'm not sure it's very large), but there are some larger meeting type facilities that they could put up a screen and show some baseball flicks and throw in a tour of the museum with it.

BuckWoody
09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Win! ;)

I really like the idea about encouraging field trips to the museum and ballpark. Stepping up the scope of the Reds Caravan sounds good too.

In recent years the Bengals have taken to putting up billboards around the area. They had one right on my route home by WPAFB in Dayton last summer. You see them all over Cincinnati too. That would be a good move, imo.

Community nights sound like a good idea too: Columbus Night, Indianapolis Night, Lima Night, Lexington Night, etc. etc. Bring in those communities that were once Reds strongholds but have slipped in recent years.

Pump up RedsFest bigtime. Use radio commercials, print ads, even the aforementioned billboards. Get the word out. Then make sure that the big guys are there: Dunn, Arroyo, Freel, Harang, Junior....

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Pump up RedsFest bigtime. Use radio commercials, print ads, even the aforementioned billboards. Get the word out. Then make sure that the big guys are there: Dunn, Arroyo, Freel, Harang, Junior....

Speaking of RedsFest and the idea of field trips to the HOF and the ballpark, the Reds should set up a booth and display aimed at teachers and school administrators that tells them what programs are available.

Heath
09-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Is the Reds Rover still active?

The Winter Caravan, when done correctly, is a very nice way to get into the papers. It used to be this big banquet type place, now its more of the Reds Winter Caravan and Bar Hopping.

I have a 1980 Reds Media guide - The Radio Network was absoutely fantastic then. They had stations in FLA, TEN, KY, IN, WV, and OH.

NDIrish9
09-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Homer Bailey.

BuckWoody
09-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a 1980 Reds Media guide - The Radio Network was absoutely fantastic then. They had stations in FLA, TEN, KY, IN, WV, and OH.
I can remember as a youth our family always vacationed at Lake Dale Hollow in Tennessee and we never missed a game because there was a Reds station in Livingston. I remember listening as Pete's hit steak came to an end while camping there.

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I emailed the Reds marketing department to tell them we were having this conversation on Redszone. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I emailed the Reds marketing department to tell them we were having this conversation on Redszone. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

I got an email back from the Reds and they were going to take a look at the thread, so write away, folks!

Roy Tucker
09-07-2006, 03:08 PM

My youngest's school class took a field trip to the Cincinnati Baseball Hall of Fame this past spring. IIRC, the whole Mason 7th grade went (in groups that is).

Ltlabner
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I got an email back from the Reds and they were going to take a look at the thread, so write away, folks!

Thats great Redsmetz.

Hopefully we can contribute something to what I am sure is already a long list of ideas on their end.

Redsland
09-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Top Ten Rejected 2007 Reds Promotions

10. Half-Price Bullpen Night
9. Jerry Narron Novelty Lineup Card Night
8. Jason LaRue Golden Sombrero Hat Night
7. 365 Transactions-a-Year Calendar Night
6. Tide Washed-Up Super-Secret Starting Pitcher Night
5. Homer Bailey Debut and Reds Hall of Fame Induction Night
4. Pre-Teen "Fan of the Game" Announces First Batter of Third Inning, Stays To Do Three Innings of Play-by-Play Night
3. Team Picture by Police Sketch Artist Night (Oops, that's a Bengals promotion)
2. Senior Citizens 65 and Over Tell Gary Majewski to Get a Damn Haircut Night

...and the number one...

1. Bronson Arroyo and Raquel Aurilia Perform a "Duet" If You Know What I Mean Night

:)

HumnHilghtFreel
09-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Homer Bailey.

I always see a lot of people say things like this when talking about what would bring hype to the team. Honestly though, how many casual fans would think you were confused about a Simpsons character if you brought up Homer in a conversation?

I think if you want people to get to the ballpark you have to do more introductory programs like the HOF tour for kids like someone mentioned earlier. Speaking from my own experiences, I love baseball because my parents took me to Clippers games when I was little and loved everything that came with it.

The casual fans of today will come out for some of the promos where they can get things and maybe more when the team is winning. But now that there's competition with the other big sports, I honestly feel like we're going to have to start creating the fans of tomorrow by showing them the game all over again.

DoogMinAmo
09-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Want to attract people to the ballpark? Increase their exposure to the product.

I have always thought some sort of Jumbotron on the outside of the stadium facing downtown and Fort Washington Way would be a great and relatively inexpensive way of generating interest in the team. Imagine driving down the road and seeing highlights of a Dunn monster homerun, that would get me excited to see a game. Granted I am not sure if this is feasible with traffic laws, but there is not even a scoreboard or anything facing out.

paintmered
09-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Ltlabner wrote

I see a link on the Hall of Fame website which is for school groups (see http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/ballpark/museum/tours.jsp), but clearly this should be promoted more and more. They've got quite a lot of possible subject matter. And back to the ballplayer theme, see if you can get a player to stop by from time to time.

Another thought, they ought to add a Reading List to the website for English classes!

This past spring when I stopped downtown to buy tickets around noon, there were two school busses full of kids bouncing into the Hall-of-Fame. :)

TeamBoone
09-07-2006, 07:35 PM

I have always thought some sort of Jumbotron on the outside of the stadium facing downtown and Fort Washington Way would be a great and relatively inexpensive way of generating interest in the team. Imagine driving down the road and seeing highlights of a Dunn monster homerun, that would get me excited to see a game. Granted I am not sure if this is feasible with traffic laws, but there is not even a scoreboard or anything facing out.

I've always had thoughts about this too, though not quite as grand as yours. I think there should be a ticker (similar to the one at the arena next door) that continually displays the name of the opposition, the score, the inning, and the number of outs not only during home games, but away games as well.

I also love the idea, especially when the team is in the hunt, to open up the park (or part of it... say the diamond and scout seats) and "televise" the away games on the jumbotron for $5 admission with a few concessions open. It would be like a big sports bar.

In addition, there should be Reds advertising all over town (including the burbs).... bigger than life cutouts of different players hung in store windows, on the sides of buildings (Freedom Center, Convention Center, etc... buildings that don't have windows). I was in Seattle back when Jr played there and they had a HUGE cut-out of him over the entrance to FAO Schwartz. It started just above the entrance and went clear to the top story. It just stared at it in awe.

In addition, get into everyone's faces with billboard displays. The only year I remember any kind of decent billboard advertising was in 2003, the year the park opened. And don't have them all the same.

Get more Reds gear into the stores around here, especially Meijer (they sell Reds tickets for Pete's sake) and K-Mart. I complained at both in Milford as they had next to nothing (two Reds caps! and a few Griffey #30 tees). I told them you wouldn't even know they were located in a major league city and it was a shame. Believe it or not, the next time I went into K-Mart, there was a lot more stuff (but still not a ton, especially caps). I don't know if my remark had anything to do with the little bit of improvement or not.

During games, play the radio broadcast where ever it's allowed... stores, on the street, outside the park, even in the doctor's office. I'm sure there are stores that would do that if asked. It's probably never occurred to them.

I do LOVE what they did for the last Bengals game... they lit up the GAB and had Who-Day! on the jumbotron.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-07-2006, 07:36 PM

That's not a bad idea. Here in Columbus in the downtown Arena District where the Blue Jackets play there is something like that and it's pretty nice. I'm not sure that it would bring people in, but it would definitely look nice if done right.

TeamBoone
09-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Oh, and I don't think they should stop selling online tickets just because it's a game day. If people want to buy them online instead of when they get to the park, what harm does it do?

paintmered
09-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Great idea! I'm not sure how it would work with the existing Rounding Third signage they have there, but it would be perfect to line it up with Sycamore and its one-way traffic approaching the ballpark.

It's been mentioned a few times already, but the surrounding markets really need to be brought back into the fold. Columbus, Indy, Lexington, Louisville and Indy should be the five major targets. Cincy only has a 2 million metro population so to increase attendance and appeal, the Reds really need to be bringing in fans from outside the suburbs.

The Reds currently stop at local college campuses once or twice a year (UC, at least) to promote and sell tickets. But whenever they do, it isn't advertised much beforehand so I'm not prepared to buy the discounted tickets when they arrive. It seems that the ballpark is a popular spot for 20-somethings. I usually run into a few friends every time I'm at GABP. So is there any way for the Reds to increase their presence on local campuses? Every year, P&G holds a carnival at UC and gives out sorts of free goods. It's always really well attended. Something similar could be a way to build some excitement from the local college crowd. It needs to be something more than showing up in the Reds van unannounced and setting up a card table.

Oh, and start moving some of that giant dirt pile known as the Banks. Before and after the game, the masses either cross Ft. Washington or the river. Getting the promised entertainment options between those two physical barriers will help turn a Reds game into an event. I know it's not the Reds' project explicitly, but RCast does have a big say in the success of the Banks.

crazybob60
09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Can you imagine if they made attending RedsFest each day for the adults section and the kids section at least once a mandatory thing in the contracts of the players for each Reds player. What that would do for some of the fans??? I know that this would never happen, and is far fetched, but still. And then also get the minor league prospects in like Bailey, Votto, Bruce, etc. I know that that was mentioned before, but I think all that would do wonders. Now I can wake up, huh? Because you know that Griffey would never ever do the adult section, you are going to be lucky to get him to do that when he gets inducted into Cooperstown, a thing that is almost customary for the people getting inducted to sign that weekend. I could seriously see someone like Griffey breaking that tradition. Now mind you I am not a Griffey basher, I am actually a Griffey fan, I just can't stand how he treats the fans, old and young alike when it comes to something as simple as wanting an autograph. Ok, now I will get down off of my soapbox.

redsfanmia
09-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I could seriously see someone like Griffey breaking that tradition. Now mind you I am not a Griffey basher, I am actually a Griffey fan, I just can't stand how he treats the fans, old and young alike when it comes to something as simple as wanting an autograph. Ok, now I will get down off of my soapbox.

Griffey is a good guy, and why would he want to converse with fans when he gets bashed by these yahoos all the time. If I was Griff I would treat the adults fans the same way.

TeamBoone
09-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Can you imagine if they made attending RedsFest each day for the adults section and the kids section at least once a mandatory thing in the contracts of the players for each Reds player.

Most of the players (and select minor leaguers) DO attend RedsFest; some both days, some not. The autograph/photo ops time slots are always filled so it would be impossible for them all to appear each day... there aren't enough hours.

I got the impression from the last RedsFest that they may not have photo ops any more. I really hope that is not the case under the new regime. The photographs go much faster than the autographs so the lines are shorter as a result. I think that's led the RedsFest gurus to erroneously think it's not a popular event. What I like most about it is that when the lines are short, the players will often take the time to chat with you... I've had this happen in the past with Kearns, Pena, and Jiminez. It was really nice to have a one-on-one conversation.

I don't even do autographs any more because it takes too much time... first you have to stand in line to get a voucher and then you have to stand in a different line to get the autograph. Not only that, but they only allowed you to get vouchers for 15 minutes before each session began.

BTW, I don't think it's that Griffey will not sign autographs for adults, but rather that his Nike contract prohibits it. I'm not sure, but I believe I read that somewhere.

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Okay a couple of more ideas, some "nights"

I've long thought the Reds should have a Beatles night each summer (or every few summers) on a game scheduled on August 21st, which is the anniversary of the Beatles playing the first part of their Doubleheader that date. A Sunday morning show in Cincinnati at Crosley Field replacing the previous day's rainout and flying to St. Louis to play in old old Busch Stadium. They could show video footage from WCPO of the their concert coverage. It could be co-sponsored by one of the stations (preferably WOFX over WGRR) and give away Beatles CD's and now that they have the stage area, they could book in a Beatles cover band. Hey, they could even arrange to give away some of these Gordon Baer photos.

http://www.gbphoto.com/photos/004.jpg

My older daughter just moved back from DC in mid-August and she was saying something about lots of folks are playing some games at bars now and I can't remember which it was, Spelling Bees, Trivia Games or some such thing. I wonder if something like that would work in the stage area post game.

How about a cornhole tournament after a game?

Just a few more thoughts. Keep up the great work.

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Can you imagine if they made attending RedsFest each day for the adults section and the kids section at least once a mandatory thing in the contracts of the players for each Reds player. What that would do for some of the fans??? I know that this would never happen, and is far fetched, but still. And then also get the minor league prospects in like Bailey, Votto, Bruce, etc. I know that that was mentioned before, but I think all that would do wonders.

I wonder if they ever give out information (or gear) from their minor league affiliates. I can't hurt to have Cincinnati area fans learn more about our minor league system. Have some of the minor league stars there. They'd really get a kick out of the crowds. Even have a session with the crowd with their minor league directors or such.

TeamBoone
09-07-2006, 08:33 PM
My older daughter just moved back from DC in mid-August and she was saying something about lots of folks are playing some games at bars now and I can't remember which it was, Spelling Bees, Trivia Games or some such thing. I wonder if something like that would work in the stage area post game.

Probably NTN Trivia. It's very popular in bars and has been around for several years. For an example, I believe they have a website.

Actually, it has a new name, Buzztime. For a sample... www.buzztime.com

TeamBoone
09-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Have some of the minor league stars there.

In the past, some of them have been there.

vaticanplum
09-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I also love the idea, especially when the team is in the hunt, to open up the park (or part of it... say the diamond and scout seats) and "televise" the away games on the jumbotron for $5 admission with a few concessions open. It would be like a big sports bar.

this would be so much fun. Unfortunately it would probably have to be one of the last things they implemented, since as it is they have enough trouble packing the ballpark when there are actual players on the field, and the cost of keeping the park open and staffing it on extra days would not be worth it at the present time. But I'd totally go. Game on the screen, maybe stuff for kids on the field if it didn't mess of the grass too much...maybe re-enactments of great plays with life-size cutouts. Awes.

I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard some version of this statement recently: "Well, the Reds had better step it up, because if they're still losing when the Bengals start, the fans will be finished!" First of all, these people are dumb, but there seem to be a lot of them, so are joint promotions at all realistic? My first instinct is something such as "get a Reds ticket discount/voucher when you buy a Bengals ticket", but that doesn't seem very realistic...I don't see how the Reds can possibly discount tickets any more, and football tickets are so expensive and rare that it's not like people need more impetus to buy them. But a better business mind than I could maybe think of some promotion -- a joint Meet the Players thing or something.

Some great ideas in here. I agree with the bottom line: get the (good) product out there, and give people reasons around the ballpark to go to the ballpark.

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
My daughter called me while she was walking to the bus stop after work and told me it was trivia games (as someone noted elsewhere here). I told her some of our ideas and she loved them all, particularly the out of town games thing. She works downtown and would jump over to the stadium since she doesn't have cable. I would think there are some charitable groups who could staff some concession stands for their take. And she immediately noted there are plenty of Beatles cover bands when I told her that idea.

Newman4
09-07-2006, 11:06 PM
You guys mentioned the Reds Hall of Fame as a school field trip. I'm a teacher and as part of our math rewards program, students who meet their annual goal get to go to a Reds game. I'm hoping to get try out the HoF educational experience and let you all know how it goes.
Speaking of excellent students, what ever happened the the "Straight A's" free ticket program for kids with good grades? They used to do this when I taught in Adams Co. Ohio, but when I tried to contact the Reds about doing it at my middle school in Greenup Co. KY, no one seemed to know what I was talking about or didn't reply. Does anyone know if this program still exists? I loved the idea of rewarding kids with good grades with free tickets.

redsmetz
09-07-2006, 11:42 PM
You guys mentioned the Reds Hall of Fame as a school field trip. I'm a teacher and as part of our math rewards program, students who meet their annual goal get to go to a Reds game. I'm hoping to get try out the HoF educational experience and let you all know how it goes.
Speaking of excellent students, what ever happened the the "Straight A's" free ticket program for kids with good grades? They used to do this when I taught in Adams Co. Ohio, but when I tried to contact the Reds about doing it at my middle school in Greenup Co. KY, no one seemed to know what I was talking about or didn't reply. Does anyone know if this program still exists? I loved the idea of rewarding kids with good grades with free tickets.

My daughters got them when they were in high school and my son in jr. high. This is as recently as three years ago. i don't know about now because my son just keeps missing 1st honors, although this quarter is looking good! :beerme:

Yachtzee
09-08-2006, 01:21 AM
I mentioned it before, but I like it so I'll put it out there again. I think the Reds should try to get MLB to schedule them a home series on the weekend of Oktoberfest Zinzinnati every year and sponsor a "Redstoberfest" weekend tie-in. They could give away Bavarian hats with the Reds logo, have oompah bands strolling the park, have special concession stand items like schnitzel and strudel, and they could play various German sing-a-longs over the PA system between innings. They could even have the Reds go by the name "Rhinelanders" or "Rotstrumpfen" ("Red Stockings").

If you've never experienced Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, its a great time and gets a huge turnout every year. Why shouldn't the Reds try to capitalize on the massive amount of people partying a few blocks away from the park? The only issue, as I see it, is getting MLB to guarantee a home series for them on the third weekend of September every year.

redsmetz
09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
As I mentioned when I started this thread, it might be possible that some of what we suggest is already taking place. While perusing the Freedom Center website (www.freedomcenter.org) I came across a link that shows that they and the Reds have been working together this season. See

http://www.freedomcenter.org/attend-events/cincinnati-reds-freedom.html

It's good to see them reaching out to other stopping points in the city.

BuckWoody
09-08-2006, 11:14 AM
I mentioned it before, but I like it so I'll put it out there again. I think the Reds should try to get MLB to schedule them a home series on the weekend of Oktoberfest Zinzinnati every year and sponsor a "Redstoberfest" weekend tie-in....
Excellent idea! The last weekend at Riverfront Stadium was during Oktoberfest. We went with friends and stayed downtown all weekend. We went to all three Reds games and the boys all went to the Buckeyes-Bearcats game at PBS on that Saturday afternoon. It was an absolute blast...even though the Reds lost all three games.

We're staying downtown again for this year's Oktoberfest on Saturday night before going to the Bengals-Browns game on Sunday. This town can be a lot of fun when there is a lot to do downtown. If they would just work on getting the Banks in shape it could be fun all of the time instead of just one or two weekends a year.

KittyDuran
09-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I mentioned it before, but I like it so I'll put it out there again. I think the Reds should try to get MLB to schedule them a home series on the weekend of Oktoberfest Zinzinnati every year and sponsor a "Redstoberfest" weekend tie-in. They could give away Bavarian hats with the Reds logo, have oompah bands strolling the park, have special concession stand items like schnitzel and strudel, and they could play various German sing-a-longs over the PA system between innings. They could even have the Reds go by the name "Rhinelanders" or "Rotstrumpfen" ("Red Stockings").

If you've never experienced Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, its a great time and gets a huge turnout every year. Why shouldn't the Reds try to capitalize on the massive amount of people partying a few blocks away from the park? The only issue, as I see it, is getting MLB to guarantee a home series for them on the third weekend of September every year.Well it's not happening this year - but it was last year IIRC.

KittyDuran
09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Excellent idea! The last weekend at Riverfront Stadium was during Oktoberfest. We went with friends and stayed downtown all weekend. We went to all three Reds games and the boys all went to the Buckeyes-Bearcats game at PBS on that Saturday afternoon. It was an absolute blast...even though the Reds lost all three games.

It was called something, wasn't it? Like ____ ____ Fusion? or ____ ____ Fest?:confused:

vaticanplum
09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
If you've never experienced Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, its a great time and gets a huge turnout every year. Why shouldn't the Reds try to capitalize on the massive amount of people partying a few blocks away from the park? The only issue, as I see it, is getting MLB to guarantee a home series for them on the third weekend of September every year.

Oktoberfest is in September? What brainiac came up with that idea? (I kid...sort of...I know there must be a reason, but at first glance that seems rather...illogical.)

dabvu2498
09-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Oktoberfest is in September? What brainiac came up with that idea? (I kid...sort of...I know there must be a reason, but at first glance that seems rather...illogical.)

Every September geeks ask...
Why is Oktoberfest in September?

The answer goes back to 1810 during the dark days of beer drinking before refridgeration.

In those days in Germany beer would never be brewed in the summer months. The batches would never turn out good.

The last batches were usually made in March. These last batches would have higher alcohol content to take advantage of alcohol as a preservative.

Traditionally there would be a big fest starting on the last Saturday in September till the First Sunday in October. The purpose was to drink up the old stocks of beer to make room for the new brew that would be make after harvest. The tradition goes back to the 15th and 16th Centuries.

The first official Oktoberfest was held in 1810. Crown Prince Ludwig threw a big party to celebrate his wedding to Princess Therese on October 12, 1810. The party was open to all. Everyone liked it so much they kept having the party every year.

http://www.geekculture.com/blurbs/octoberfest.html

TeamCasey
09-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Partner with more companies for giveaways. They do a lot with Klosterman. How about companies like P&G where they could hand out products.

It's a small idea, but people love freebie stuff.

TeamCasey
09-08-2006, 02:54 PM
How about a cornhole tournament after a game?

They cut off beer sales in the 7th.

I heard it's impossible to toss a cornbag without the proper balance of beverage. ;)

westofyou
09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Marketing Ideas for the Reds

Win a round of Golf with Adam Dunn.

vaticanplum
09-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Win a round of Golf with Adam Dunn.

with Ryan Freel as the caddie.

westofyou
09-08-2006, 03:17 PM
with Ryan Freel as the caddie.

Nah, he's the ball washer.. like the little guy on Family Guy (the one where Peter meets death on his anniversity)

HumnHilghtFreel
09-08-2006, 03:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, do we know if they've taken a look at any of these ideas yet?

TeamBoone
09-08-2006, 04:05 PM

In Germany, the true home of Oktoberfest, it is always celebrated throughout the month of September.

Why? I don't have a clue.

Oops! I didn't read the explanatory post until after I responded to this.

I just can't help myself... compulsive I guess. I'm not patient enough to wait to respond to posts until after I've read the entire thread; I must do it immediately.

TeamBoone
09-08-2006, 04:07 PM

I heard it's impossible to toss a cornbag without the proper balance of beverage. ;)

When they have a band in the Fan Zone after the game, they sell beer. Just not inside the stadium.

redsmetz
09-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, do we know if they've taken a look at any of these ideas yet?

Yes, I know a staffer logged on and has looked at them, but I don't know if they've returned to see them again.

BuckWoody
09-08-2006, 04:09 PM
It was called something, wasn't it? Like ____ ____ Fusion? or ____ ____ Fest?:confused:
I'm not sure, Kitty. I just like to call it The Most Fun Weekend I've Ever Had Fest. :)

This is a cold, hard, irrefutable fact. ;)

They do open the taps back up after the Saturday games when the have a band playing out on the plaza. They could certainly do it for any other sort of post-game activity as well.

Chip R
09-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Why limit it to Octoberfest? Why not include Scotchtoberfest too?

Ltlabner
09-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Why limit it to Octoberfest? Why not include Scotchtoberfest too?

Lest we forget, there is always Rocktoberfest.

Ltlabner
09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
How bout "win a chance to take BP with the Reds".

Do some sort of contest where the winner(s) will take BP from a reds pitcher.

BuckWoody
09-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Reds' Marketing Guy #1: I've heard there are some really good marketing ideas being discussed on RedsZone. Let's go there.

<<opens thread, reads last page>>

Reds' Marketing Guy #2: On second thought, let's not go to RedsZone. It is a silly place.

:D

Chip R
09-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Reds' Marketing Guy #1: I've heard there are some really good marketing ideas being discussed on RedsZone. Let's go there.

<<opens thread, reads last page>>

Reds' Marketing Guy #2: On second thought, let's not go to RedsZone. It is a silly place.

:D

http://www.creativescreenwriting.com/csdaily/csdart/images/2004-06-June/Monty%20Python%20Holy%20Grail%20-%20Clip%20clop%20(300w).jpg

BuckWoody
09-08-2006, 05:40 PM
How bout "win a chance to take BP with the Reds".

Do some sort of contest where the winner(s) will take BP from a reds pitcher.
They already do something similar for season ticket folks. No actual Reds are there as it's held when they are out of town. One of the stadium guys tosses BP. It is very cool, though. Could be a good idea to open it up to more folks and have it on multiple occasions.

Rojo
09-08-2006, 05:40 PM
The Giants have a singles night.

Ltlabner
09-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Another idea would be to take out some of the silly "commericals" on the jumbotron like the Skyline Chili shuffle, SBC smile of the game, and all the other goofyness that goes on between innings. That would be a prime time to show little vidio clips about Reds history, bios of famous players, video clips from big Reds moments. They do this some now, but not nearly enough, IMO.

dougflynn23
09-08-2006, 06:18 PM
:confused: I'm a charter member of the HOF/Museum. I enjoy it, but they need to start up a program of speakers on a monthly or bi-monthly basis for Q&A, discussions, etc. Sparky Anderson on the BRM, Jim Maloney & Jim O'Toole on the 1960's Reds, etc. Don't limit it to Reds.....get Bill James, Rob Neyer, or even a WP Kinsella in to talk baseball in general. The "special events" at the HOF/Museum have been less than "must see" events along the lines of the granddaughter of Edd Roush and the guy who played the organ at Crosley.

I'd also like to see the HOF sponsor a Reds Trivia Championship this winter. Bring together the most knowledgeable Reds fans and let them battle it out. There's a guy who was on Lance McAlister's show a few months back who did a live Reds trivia contest and wherever they did this the place was packed and people tuned in. There could be some cool prizes and it could be hyped big time.

TeamBoone
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Another idea would be to take out some of the silly "commericals" on the jumbotron like the Skyline Chili shuffle, SBC smile of the game, and all the other goofyness that goes on between innings. That would be a prime time to show little vidio clips about Reds history, bios of famous players, video clips from big Reds moments. They do this some now, but not nearly enough, IMO.

Unfortunately, abner, that's the stuff that pays a lot of the bills. I know what you mean though.

I absolutely hate those advertiseing banners on the CF and RF walls. Just HATE them! I think they look tacky and lend a minor league air. I'd much rather see something like the Dodgers have... their OF walls are beautiful and add a lot. If nothing else, I'd rather see them bare...

but I was also reminded just the other day that those advertising banners also help pay the bills. Ugh! They're so ugly!

Ltlabner
09-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Unfortunately, abner, that's the stuff that pays a lot of the bills. I know what you mean though.

I absolutely hate those advertiseing banners on the CF and RF walls. Just HATE them! I think they look tacky and lend a minor league air. I'd much rather see something like the Dodgers have... their OF walls are beautiful and add a lot. If nothing else, I'd rather see them bare...

but I was also reminded just the other day that those advertising banners also help pay the bills. Ugh! They're so ugly!

I know. Maybe instead of the Skyline Chili Shuffle they could do some highlight clips and have it sponsored by Skyline Chili.

JEA
09-08-2006, 11:39 PM
I remember reading about a few NFL or NHL teams that had "fan advisory" committees. I think one was comprised mainly of season ticket holders, and one was actually made up of all types of fans who applied and interviewed for the positions.

This seems like such a great idea. It could be like a dedicated focus group to help make decisions about stadium music, ticket prices, mascots, ballpark features, player awards and the such. It'd give the Reds direct feedback from the most important people: actual customers and fans.

You could reallly pump some effort into it and make sure you have all regions/communities represented in Reds country. Pick people from all types of business, marketing and sales backgrounds. It'd almost be like the club's own consulting group.

There's no better way to sell your product than to get feedback from the people you're selling it to.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-09-2006, 01:45 AM
I just remembered reading in Sports Illustrated a month or so ago that the Twins did a promotional giveaway of fake adhesive Joe Mauer sideburns.

Maybe the Reds could give away Ryan Freel chin beards:laugh:

vaticanplum
09-09-2006, 02:22 PM
I just remembered reading in Sports Illustrated a month or so ago that the Twins did a promotional giveaway of fake adhesive Joe Mauer sideburns.

or tiny talking leprechauns.

RedsBaron
09-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Why don't teams do "bat day" any more? Is it too expensive? I can still rmember the first Reds game I ever attended, way back in 1965. We took the train from Huntington, WV to Cincinnati. I t was Bat Day. I got a Deron Johnson bat and my sister got a Jim Coker bat.
I did just read of a unique promotion Texas Motor Speedway is having in reaction to the recent decision declaring that Pluto is not a planet. TMS will give residents of Pluto a free ticket to the Nascar Dickies 500 race, but not until 2015 or 2016, since it is a three billion mile trip. Plutonians must show a photo ID with proof of residence to qualify. A spokesman for the speedway stated that while astronomers may disregard Pluto "TMS won't....we'd love to be the first speedway to get a season-ticket holder from Pluto, We are always looking to expand our market."

TeamBoone
09-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Hmmmm, are there any towns in the US named Pluto?

mth123
09-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Why don't teams do "bat day" any more? Is it too expensive? I can still rmember the first Reds game I ever attended, way back in 1965. We took the train from Huntington, WV to Cincinnati. I t was Bat Day. I got a Deron Johnson bat and my sister got a Jim Coker bat.
I did just read of a unique promotion Texas Motor Speedway is having in reaction to the recent decision declaring that Pluto is not a planet. TMS will give residents of Pluto a free ticket to the Nascar Dickies 500 race, but not until 2015 or 2016, since it is a three billion mile trip. Plutonians must show a photo ID with proof of residence to qualify. A spokesman for the speedway stated that while astronomers may disregard Pluto "TMS won't....we'd love to be the first speedway to get a season-ticket holder from Pluto, We are always looking to expand our market."

I got a Johnny Bench bat on bat day in the 70's. The kid sitting near me got a Tony Perez. I wanted to trade but Perez hit 2 HR that day and one was a "walk-off" before the term was invented of course. the kid said no. Bat day was our favorite day and we made the drive many times for it.

I wonder if the reason that these were stopped is a safety issue. Those bats could be lethal weapons in a public gathering place.

SandyD
09-09-2006, 05:43 PM
I think "Bat Day" is considered a safety risk these days. Now, the Zephyrs gave out a promotion one game as people were leaving the ball park, instead of coming in. I guess you could do it that way. But I wouldn't start giving them out until after the game was over. Or at least not until the 9th inning. Don't reward people who leave early.

Or, they could just give out coupons for the bats which could be picked up on the way out.

BuckWoody
09-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I think "Bat Day" is considered a safety risk these days. Now, the Zephyrs gave out a promotion one game as people were leaving the ball park, instead of coming in. I guess you could do it that way. But I wouldn't start giving them out until after the game was over. Or at least not until the 9th inning. Don't reward people who leave early.

Or, they could just give out coupons for the bats which could be picked up on the way out.
That's exactly the way they would have to do it. They had an Opening Day Ball giveaway at Riverfront a while back and you had to pick up your ball as you left the stadium. No reason they couldn't do the same with a Bat Day giveaway. Good idea!

Just got a very nice letter from the Reds today. It had $100 worth of GABP dollars in it good for all food, beverage, and merchandise at the stadium until the end of the season. Partial season ticket holder received $50 worth. In addition to that, season ticket folks can purchase half-price tickets for the remaining 13 home games. We also got a code for 15% of at the online store.

No one can say that the team isnít trying hard to show their appreciation for us fans. A very nice gesture on their part without question.

redsmetz
09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Well I printed this thread up and sent it to the Reds today. We'll see!

Newman4
09-19-2006, 06:23 PM

How about Ryan Freel "Beer of the Night" special?