PDA

View Full Version : The Minor League Teams and the Playoffs

crazybob60
09-08-2006, 08:31 PM
So which one of the Reds Minor League teams made the playoffs?

Also of the ones that made it, what kind of playoffs format do each one of them have and what kind of prediction do you have for each and how realistic is it? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

dougdirt
09-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Billings is just under way with their first playoff game tonight. Chattanooga also made the playoffs and lost 2-0 last night, and are down 4-1 tonight in the 8th. Chattanooga loses tonight and the series is over.

Billings is leading 1-0 from a Drew Stubbs solo HR. Billings also is playing a best of 3.

Doc. Scott
09-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Chattanooga got nailed 12-3 and eliminated in two straight games.

Billings was winning late, but Terrell Young gave up a grand-slam homer in the eighth and Missoula stole it, 6-4.

dougdirt
09-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Chattanooga was actually not eliminated. Reports were that They were playing a 3 game series, but according to the Chattanoogan, its actually a 5 game series.

Doc. Scott
09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Ah, nice catch. I guess the series are longer in the SL because there are only two levels (four teams that make it total).

texasdave
09-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Billings falls in two straight to Missoula.=(

Drew Stubbs had a fine playoff series. If you include these two games along with his regular season performance he ended up: .374/.433/.807. 8 homers. A nice recovery from the doldrums he was in earlier in the summer.

texasdave
09-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Chattanooga was swept out of the playoffs by Huntsville. Tyler Pelland gave up all seven runs in three plus innings in a 7 - 2 loss. Joey Votto had a two-run double. Pelland gave up five walks in his short stint. =(

mbgrayson
09-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Drew Stubbs had a fine playoff series. If you include these two games along with his regular season performance he ended up: .374/.433/.807. 8 homers. A nice recovery from the doldrums he was in earlier in the summer.

Stubbs did hit well in the playoffs, but he only got 7 ABs, 3 hits, 2 HRs, 2 walks, 4 Ks, and 1 steal. When those number are added to his regular season numbers (210 ABs, 53 hits, 6 HRs, 32 Walks, 64 Ks, 19 SBs, 4 CS), you get these final numbers for Stubbs 1st pro season; .258 Avg., 8 HRs, .359 OBP, and .419 Slg.

I agree that Stubbs was coming around the last few weeks. His power and average has improved since a poor June. See his splits HERE (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Stubbs%20%20CF&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453211). Note that the splits do not include playoff stats.

He has played a lot of ball this year, since February with Texas, and international play before that. His numbers improved right after he got almost two weeks off after a concussion from a collision in the outfield. He also had a toe injury early in the year. As I stated in a previous post, I think he will be fine.