PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Slob or Neat Freak?

GAC
09-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Which is ya?

My entire family are slobs. Except me, which leads me to believe I am adopted. Even when we visit them my wife just shakes her head at the clutter.... "Do these people ever throw anything out?"

I have always liked things in their place, neat and orderly (somewhat perfectionistic in that sense), which I got from being in the military I guess.... but I am far from a neat/clean freak.

Now my wife is another story. She doesn't clean - she STERILIZES!

She therefore thinks I'm a slob.

I've always said that if you gave her a bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap and some Comet, she could have cleaned up the Alaska oil spill in a week. :lol:

I've been married to this woman for almost 25 years, so I've learned her "system", the way she likes things done (laundry, basic house cleaning, etc), so I've adapted in order to keep the peace in this household.

I switched rather then fight.

And besides - we both work, and I don't think it should be her responsibility alone to do these other things.

Now if I can just get that message through to my teenagers who seem to think that it is. Saturday mornings is house cleaning day, and the kids know (and dread it). They usually come to me and ask "Dad, is there anything I can do to help you outside?"..... "Sorry, there's only room for one in this life boat, so you're going down!"

SunDeck
09-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Depends on the day. I can be either.

redsfan30
09-09-2006, 09:21 AM
100% neat freak. I get it from my mom.

RANDY IN INDY
09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Neat freak. My wife sometimes gives me grief over it.

OldRightHander
09-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm somewhere in the middle. My wife would say that I'm a slob, but she didn't see how I lived in my early 20s. I've come a long way since then.

TeamCasey
09-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Clean, but cluttered.

It's a system that no one would understand but me.

(Honestly, I envy neat freaks to a certain degree, but I'm more comfortable in a home that looks lived in.)

westofyou
09-09-2006, 10:27 AM
My mother used to fake vaccum before folks came over, creates a pattern on carpet that looks like vaccumming JUST happened..... tricky eh?

I used to laugh at her... then I got her genes, the younger siblings missed out though, just check out their cars, then you'll know what their house probably looks like.

Gainesville Red
09-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Probably closer to the slob side than neat freak. Probably a lot closer.

dman
09-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Middle of the road on this one. Depends on what day you catch me.

vaticanplum
09-09-2006, 01:32 PM
My mother used to fake vaccum before folks came over, creates a pattern on carpet that looks like vaccumming JUST happened..... tricky eh?

:laugh: why didn't she just vaccum? That seems like more trouble to go to than actually just doing it!

I'm a complete neat freak, and also a clean freak, ie. the type who washes her hands 150 times a day, which I think comes partly from working in bars and restaurants for so many years. (And I do hardly ever get sick.) But living with other people has taught me to let a lot of it go. Left to my own devices, I'm a fanatic, but some people just aren't, and it's too much grief to try to change their habits or to clean up after them all the time and resent it. So I've moved a lot closer to the middle. But I do still love killing mildew, murdering dust bunnies, and organizing anything that can possibly be organized.

TeamCasey
09-09-2006, 02:01 PM
My one disgusting place is my computer desk. I'll scrub it and organize it and 2 days later, it's a train wreck.

I think it's just meant to be.

KronoRed
09-09-2006, 02:55 PM
50/50

Falls City Beer
09-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm Team Casey: clean, but cluttered. I know where to find everything. Even if you don't.

KittyDuran
09-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Chalk me up as clean but cluttered at home... at work a neat freak for sure.

Matt700wlw
09-09-2006, 03:54 PM
If it's my stuff, it's all over the place, but I know where it is.

If it's somebody else's stuff, I'm tidy.

max venable
09-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Why are the only choices at each end of the continuum?

Does it have to be one or the other? I don't know many people who are either. I, like several who have posted, am somewhere in between. I could skew either way depending on who you ask about me.

Btw, I'm glad I'm not one or the other. People at the polar ends of that contimuum are usually pretty strange. My personality would clash with both slobs and neat-freaks.

BoydsOfSummer
09-09-2006, 05:17 PM
organized chaos here

TeamCasey
09-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Bad habit: I kick off my socks when I get home ....... where ever I may be(Usually a stop by the computer.)

I have to go sock hunting on laundry day.

I got rid of my coffee table years ago. It was always a catch all no matter how disciplined I tried to be.

TeamCasey
09-09-2006, 05:43 PM
I seriously don't know how people live without clutter. Where do you put your crap?

pedro
09-09-2006, 07:44 PM

I used to laugh at her... then I got her genes, the younger siblings missed out though, just check out their cars, then you'll know what their house probably looks like.

yeah. get some flippin chairs you freak. oh and those peanuts on the floor? you dropped them there you drunk. ;)

and don't even dare to compare me to jen. that's not fair at all......

Red in Chicago
09-09-2006, 09:57 PM
more on the neat freak side, but more of a germaphobe:eek:

Ltlabner
09-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Between the two choices I picked neat freak. Having things orderly is more my thing. I'm not too worried about the place being sterrile clean (within reason) but if it's cluttered and messy it drives me bannanas .

GAC
09-10-2006, 06:21 AM
I seriously don't know how people live without clutter. Where do you put your crap?

My wife doesn't hang onto anything if it doesn't have a useful purpose. She'll throw it out in a heart beat. And I'm talking perfectly good items too.

And she hates garage sales - would never stop at one, nor have one..... "Why would I want other people's crap?"

She hates any kind of clutter. And I'm that way too to a degree when it comes to "my areas". My computer desk/billing area is pretty organized.

And my garage/work area is very organized. I like to be able to find stuff. I have neighbors who have 2 car garages, but can't get their cars in there.

I noticed yesterday that my wife had gone out and "borrowed" a few of my tools to hang some pics. Diddhe put the tools back where she got them? Noooooo. They were laying on the bench for me to put away. But if I did that in the kitchen she'd let me know that that is not where I found it. ;)

cincinnati chili
09-10-2006, 03:33 PM
I adore filth, as long as it's my own filth or the filth of those I adore.

bucksfan
09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Like others, I am in between. There are some things I may be considered "slobbish" about, mostly from a clutter standpoint and also maybe from less-than-neat clothes on occasion. But on the other hand, I cannot stand to see cabinet doors and drawers open, toliet seat lid up, etc. An a whole bunch of stuff, I honestly don't care about.

Roy Tucker
09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I was born a slob and lived in a slob family. I lived the slob life for 30+ years. I kept things basically clean, but clutter doesn't bother me.

But then I married someone very much like GAC's wife. So to keep the peace, I adopted her system. Everything has a place and everything in its place.

Red Leader
09-13-2006, 01:12 PM
I have been a neat freak since I can remember, but in an odd way.

It's almost bordering on autism I think.

I'll look at a desk with a bunch of crap on it. I won't put stuff away (if it's not mine, and I don't know EXACTLY where it goes) but will organize EVERYTHING on that desk by shape. Long stuff goes on the end, short stuff on the inside and grouped together and broken down further by shape, etc, etc until the whole desk LOOKS organized and clean even though nothing has been put away. It just looks more "organized," which is more tolerable to me than stuff just scattered everywhere - that drives me insane.

Another thing. I don't clean bathrooms at all. It makes me nauseous even thinking about it. My wife does that. I do ALL of the laundry instead. I like doing laundry.

westofyou
09-13-2006, 01:22 PM
I have been a neat freak since I can remember, but in an odd way.

It's almost bordering on autism I think.

I'll look at a desk with a bunch of crap on it. I won't put stuff away (if it's not mine, and I don't know EXACTLY where it goes) but will organize EVERYTHING on that desk by shape. Long stuff goes on the end, short stuff on the inside and grouped together and broken down further by shape, etc, etc until the whole desk LOOKS organized and clean even though nothing has been put away. It just looks more "organized," which is more tolerable to me than stuff just scattered everywhere - that drives me insane.

Another thing. I don't clean bathrooms at all. It makes me nauseous even thinking about it. My wife does that. I do ALL of the laundry instead. I like doing laundry.

I have a friend who does the organizing thing, it's like lower level cleaning, I clean everything, I won't use a filthy bathroom and have cleaned my slobby friends while I was staying there many a time.

Shower, dishes, toilet... I get to them all before my wife can, some can deal with it I can't.

why didn't she just vaccum? That seems like more trouble to go to than actually just doing it!

Because she did vacuum earlier, the tracks wiped out the fact that you might have to walk on your own carpet in your own home from time to time. It gave the illusion of hovering.

Red Leader
09-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Because she did vacuum earlier, the tracks wiped out the fact that you might have to walk on your own carpet in your own home from time to time. It gave the illusion of hovering.

That's funny. I hate when I vaccuum and then the kids run through the room and leave tracks. I immediately want to pull the vaccuum back out and "erase" their tracks and make it all nice again. Haven't thought about "fake vaccuuming", which surprises me. It's actually quite genius, IMO. :laugh:

westofyou
09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
It's actually quite genius, IMO.

madness and genius, a thin line indeed.

Try a carpet rake, that's downright psycho

vaticanplum
09-13-2006, 02:52 PM

That is me too; we would make terrible roommates. Love laundry, hate cleaning the toilet. I'll do it, but I hate it.

However, I love occasionally attacking the bathtub with a toothbrush. I do this maybe every other month. It takes a long time, some elbow grease, and some good angry music to get through it, but it is incredibly satisfying. I have accomplished so little in most areas of life that I feel very important when I have cleaned the bathtub that well.

Red Leader
09-13-2006, 02:56 PM
That is me too; we would make terrible roommates. Love laundry, hate cleaning the toilet. I'll do it, but I hate it.

However, I love occasionally attacking the bathtub with a toothbrush. I do this maybe every other month. It takes a long time, some elbow grease, and some good angry music to get through it, but it is incredibly satisfying. I have accomplished so little in most areas of life that I feel very important when I have cleaned the bathtub that well.

Me, too. I like cleaning the bathtub with a toothbrush, some bleach and some rubbing alcohol.

We would make terrible roommates. :laugh: We'd fight over who got to do the laundry and beat each other up to force the other to clean the bathroom.

I'm so fortunate that my wife doesn't mind cleaning the bathrooms (and we've got two younger boys--:yikes: :laugh: ) and hates doing laundry. I would seriously be the most grumpy person in the world on the weekends if I had to clean them.

The other thing I don't mind doing is dishes. It totally disgusts me to see dirty dishes either sitting out in a room, or in the sink. We have a double sink in the kitchen and one of my biggest pet peeves is that my wife loads all the dirty dishes in the side with the disposal. :dunno: Why? Now, I have to wash all of the dishes on the side with no disposal because the side with the disposal is full of dishes. I think it's therapeutic to wash dishes (when the dishes are placed in the correct side) :)

Roy Tucker
09-13-2006, 03:20 PM
The funny thing is, after years of slobhood, I clean the house better than my wife does. When she wants it done *really* well, she gets me to do it. I can't stand doing anything half-baked.

And I have no qualms about any housework. It's all the same to me, dishes, bathrooms, dusting, vacuuming, windows, etc etc. It's kind of a therapeutic thing actually. I switch off my thinking and go into autopilot.

Rojo
09-13-2006, 04:59 PM

That's easy, you don't buy "crap". And, you get rid of it on a timely basis. About twice a year, I thin my CD's and books and sell them. I hold a garage sale and give the rest to goodwill. Not only do I lighten the load but I make a few bucks.

OTOH, I clean the bathroom about once a month and will let the dishes pile up. I'm convinced that neurotic cleanliness is the byproduct of facsistic consumer/capitalism in overdrive. My favorite commercials are the ones with the "microscopic" view of animated creepy crawlies on your teeth. Intruder alert, intruder alert! Seal the borders. Begin cleansing.

Or not.

westofyou
09-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm convinced that the neurotic cleanliness is the byproduct of facsistic consumer/capitalism in overdrive.Or the inability to live in chaos, order is a psychological state of mind, everyone has their own level that they have to attain to give them inner peace, some need little of it and some need more. Controling your enviroment has more to do with that IMO then any consumer pressures, there were pigs in the past and clean people too, before commercials and Mr Clean.

15fan
09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
By most standards, I'm a neat freak.

By my wife's standards, though, I'm a slob. ;)

We routinely fill up multiple trash cans for trash pickup twice a week, and I make regular trips to drop off stuff at the salvation army. And we usually have a yard sale about every 12-18 months to thin out what we have.

Part of the issue is that my wife is an only child and her mother is always buying new stuff (baskets, lamps, kitchen accessories, etc) for their house. The old stuff gets stuffed in our car when we come back from visiting them.

The other problem is having a child who is the only grandkid in both familes. Christmas 2005 was, in one word, horrific.

(Maybe this is the year that we'll get folks to grasp the concept of the kiddo's 529 plan...)

Rojo
09-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Controling your enviroment has more to do with that IMO then any consumer pressures, there were pigs in the past and clean people too, before commercials and Mr Clean.

Sure, but just as corporations have seized on people's desire for fatty foods and turned up the volume, they have uppped the clean ante: Anti-bacterial soap, plug-in room deodorizers, sanitary wipes

max venable
09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
However, I love occasionally attacking the bathtub with a toothbrush. I do this maybe every other month. It takes a long time, some elbow grease, and some good angry music to get through it, but it is incredibly satisfying. I have accomplished so little in most areas of life that I feel very important when I have cleaned the bathtub that well.If stuff like that is the standard against which I'm measured, then put a check for me in the slob column. :)

Sweetstop
09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
I need order to function properly, but I feel people who are obsessed w/ cleanliness are wasting what little time we have here.

paintmered
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I come from an OCD family. So by their standards, I'm a slob.

By standards of the average college guy, I'm a neat freak.

Rojo
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
I need order to function properly, but I feel people who are obsessed w/ cleanliness are wasting what little time we have here.

Then again, some people feel that way about my time here.

vaticanplum
09-13-2006, 07:18 PM
If stuff like that is the standard against which I'm measured, then put a check for me in the slob column. :)

Oh no...I would never measure anybody against that. I'm fully aware that that's batcrap crazy and not really necessary.

I would not consider myself a consumerist freak either, and that's the one thing I don't think anyone could accuse me of being if they saw my belongings (or my cleaning products, which are bare bones and in some cases homemade) or became familiar with my habits. I've simply always been neat. When I'm not, I feel disorganized and I find it harder to get things done. Since I've always been this way, it's very easy for me and in the end actually saves me time. I think I have some Virgo in my chart too ;)

I also enjoy washing dishes. BTW.

zombielady
09-14-2006, 09:23 AM
I would LOVE to be a neat freak... Sadly, I am a slob. Probably one of the worst...

Red Leader
09-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh no...I would never measure anybody against that. I'm fully aware that that's batcrap crazy and not really necessary.

I would not consider myself a consumerist freak either, and that's the one thing I don't think anyone could accuse me of being if they saw my belongings (or my cleaning products, which are bare bones and in some cases homemade) or became familiar with my habits. I've simply always been neat. When I'm not, I feel disorganized and I find it harder to get things done. Since I've always been this way, it's very easy for me and in the end actually saves me time. I think I have some Virgo in my chart too ;)

I also enjoy washing dishes. BTW.

Are you a Scorpio?

Edit: This is not a pickup line, just curious.

vaticanplum
09-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Are you a Scorpio?

I have a Scorpio moon, actually. Your sun sign is one of your three major signs, all of which comprise different, equal aspects of your personality. In simplest terms your sun sign (which is the main one that most people know) displays your outer life, what others see; your moon is your inner emotional life. I am not sure what the ascendant (rising sign) represents. And yes, Scorpios do tend toward the obsessive...since you asked, I take it that you are one?

My grandmother is a world-renowned astrologer by the way :laugh: And no, that is not an oxymoron!

Red Leader
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a Scorpio moon, actually. Your sun sign is one of your three major signs, all of which comprise different, equal aspects of your personality. In simplest terms your sun sign (which is the main one that most people know) displays your outer life, what others see; your moon is your inner emotional life. I am not sure what the ascendant (rising sign) represents. And yes, Scorpios do tend toward the obsessive...since you asked, I take it that you are one?

My grandmother is a world-renowned astrologer by the way :laugh: And no, that is not an oxymoron!

Wow, I never knew any of that stuff. I don't want to hijack the thread with this stuff, maybe I'll start another one about astrology sometime, but that's cool stuff. :thumbup: Astrology is fascinating to me, although I've never really taken the time I should to look into it further.

And yes, I am a Scorpio.