PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Value

Ltlabner
09-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Roughly calculate how much money you have spent on the Reds this year.

Tickets, parking, food, souivneers, apparel, mlb tv/radio, travel, time, etc etc.

Thus far this year, have the Reds provided entertainment value that is greater than, less than or equal to the amount of money you've spent on them?

KittyDuran
09-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, I spent a whopping $7.75 on the game last night... $5 ticket and a junior ice cream cup $2.75, and parked for free on the street. Even tho' they lost I got more than my moneys worth. :beerme:

PuffyPig
09-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I spent about $10,000 to bring my family down to Cincy from Canada to watch the Reds go 2-8 on a homestand in June.

It was sad but worth every penny.

Even when the Reds lose it's enjoyable.

But winning is so much better.

Spring~Fields
09-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Roughly calculate how much money you have spent on the Reds this year.

Tickets, parking, food, souivneers, apparel, mlb tv/radio, etc etc.

Thus far this year, have the Reds provided entertainment value that is greater than, less than or equal to the amount of money you've spent on them?

I think that you should have added the resource of time to your list, cost benefit analysis in time expended vs other activities. Everyone has an hourly rate, and can estimate rate times hours spent on the Reds direct or indirectly and see if they obtained entertainment value in exchange. ;)

redsmetz
09-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I went with "about what I expected", but that's not a knock. I expected a good time and had a good time.

Ltlabner
09-10-2006, 01:55 PM
So far this year an average game has cost me $45 in tickets, parking, food, etc. Thats the total amount spent divided by 19 games attended thus far.

Dinner and a movie with the wife can be $45+ ($18 for two movie tickets + $30 for dinner for two). Not sure how much golf $45 would get you. I would guess you can forget going to a NFL/NBA game for that much. Nascar race? Never been to one but I would guess that a going to a race can get expensive by the end of the day/weekend. Kings Island, no way.

The Reds have been furstrating this year but they are a .500 team that experienced some early success that got our blood pumping. I've seen Freel's flat out running/sliding head-first into the RF wall catch. I've seen Philips flat out running over the shoulder catch. I saw Javy's walk off homer on a Sunday earlier this year. I've seen Ross hit two monster homers to the upper deck in LF. I watched Everday Eddie be in a bases loaded, no out jam and work his way out of it. I've seen the reds come back to win a number of times. I saw Harang pitch several mindblowingly asstounding games. I got to see Maddux pitch live for the first time in my life. I got to see Bonds hit a homer (not the thrill it could have been, but I can still tell my kids I saw one). I got to see Ryan Howard hit a homer which if he continues at this pace would be a nice memory. This is what I can remember off the top of my head.

So overall, yea. I'd say $45 per game is a pretty good deal.

jmcclain19
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I spent $100-150 per night for all 3 nights when the Reds were in Phoenix, and spent another several hundred to make the quick flight to watch them twice in LA.

My usual fare every season.

It was much more entertaining this year because they were in it on both trips. I'll take a mediocre all around .500 team at this point, rather than an awful 70-92 team.

BoydsOfSummer
09-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Costs me 10 for parking and 10 for a ticket. I don't buy anything inside. Sometimes I buy the bums on the street a beer cuz I'm charitable like that. I've been to five games.

MaineRed
09-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Ltlabner started the thread.

I feel as though I got my moneys worth, for sure. directv extra innings and xm radio have given me more than a fair share of entertainment this season.

Great having WLW on xm as well, especially when the Reds are playing good.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
I've only been able to make it to 2 games this year, but I took my 3 nephews with me, so it was a lot more expensive.

Probably dropped $200-250 on 2 games... and it's always worth it.

KittyDuran
09-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I've only been able to make it to 2 games this year, but I took my 3 nephews with me, so it was a lot more expensive.

Probably dropped $200-250 on 2 games... and it's always worth it.Kids are going to cost at a ballgame - even with food taken in.

RFS62
09-10-2006, 11:08 PM
I've got the extra innings package in two states, the mlb audio package, xm radio, and I dropped about $500 on tickets for the Marlins series the last week of the season.

Money well spent, a bargain, IMO.

TOBTTReds
09-11-2006, 01:12 AM
I was at the Dave Ross walk-off and the Dunn GS walk off...i got my money's worth on those 2 games alone. Well also check the sig, not a lot of dissapointment this year for me!

BuckWoody
09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
I went with "about what I expected", but that's not a knock. I expected a good time and had a good time.
x2.

We have Reds tickets worked right into the family budget and have had for quite a few years. I don't see that changing anytime soon. My wife and I enjoy getting away for an evening for some "adult time". We take our girls down a few times each year too and they always have a very good time. We usually get them in on $5 seats so it's well worth it...except the hot dog/dippin'dots/pretzel/soda pop/cotton candy expenses tend to limit our overall savings. :)

The times when my wife can't go or wants to stay home I go with my dad. It doesn't get any better than that. It's entertainment money well spent all around in my view.

TOBTTReds
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
The great thing about baseball is that even if your team losses, it should still be a good time (even if you are diehard). Baseball is one of the most pure sports around. Played outdoors, on grass, no time limit, natural wood and leather are the main tools. This is the only sport that has records from the 1800's and ealry 1900's that still stand. It's artistic and VERY intuitive. It's just great.

Highlifeman21
09-12-2006, 12:04 AM
2 victories at GABP, 1-1 in Philly this year, so 3-1 overall. I definitely got my entertainment value from the Reds for this year in person. As for the mlb.tv, I've suffered many long nights, and completely feel that my heart's been broken by the Reds. I believed this could be their year, when many had them picked to finish 5th or 6th in the division. I believed in them before the West Coast 10 game swing, but then that debacle happened, so now I fully feel that they reeled me in, spit me out, and here I am left wondering what happened.

Thank god we didn't bring up Homer Bailey.

bradmu
09-12-2006, 01:01 AM
I've been to about 15 or so games this year. I've seen Bronson's first homer, "The Catch" by Freel, Ross 2 run walk off vs. Cards, and numerous other great games.

I never pay for parking, and typically spend an average of $10-15 per ticket with all the discounts we have. I take in my own food and drinks (I've only bought the $1 hotdogs inside). So I make it a fairly affordable form of entertainment. That said, even if I spent 50-100 bucks per game, It would still be worth it. I'm still holding out this season will have a few extra games to go to.

Sean_CaseyRules
09-12-2006, 09:31 AM
I've been to 2 Reds games, one game vs. the Indians I bought the ticket off Ebay for $12, w/shipping and handling. That was the night we came back from a 7-0 deficite and won on Adam Dunn's grandslam. I bought a drink that night, so I definately got more entertainment than I expected. And the other game I went to I got a SRO ticket and Freel hit 2-HR's and Hatte hit one, and we beat Milwaukee that night, and that was awesome so I think I got more than expected that night too.

Danny Serafini
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I've been to three games this year. One was the win in Detroit where I got to trash talk my Tiger loving friends. I saw two games vs. Washington in Cincinnati also. One I was planning to go to anyway and wound up with unexpected free tickets to see them win. The other was Griffey's extra inning walkoff the day he came off the DL. Yeah, I've more than gotten my money's worth this year.