PDA

View Full Version : Things You Don't See That Often

RedFanAlways1966
09-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Here's a few that are sports-related...

* A football or soccer game that is cancelled after the game has started. Lightning, tornado or a riot... are these the only reasons? These sports play in rain or snow.

* A basketball game that is cancelled after is has started. A riot (some of those European games... or Ron Artest in Detroit)?

* A MLB game that is forfeited. When was the last one... was it Disco Demolition Night in old Comiskey Park (1979?)?

* A #1 college team (basketball or football) getting defeated by an unranked team (not in the top 25). I know that Wright State University beat Michigan State 53-49 in men's basketball in 1999. Cannot recall any others off the top of my head in b-ball or f-ball.

TeamCasey
09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
The Red's in post season.

(Hey! You know someone was going to say it. ;) )

RedFanAlways1966
09-11-2006, 09:03 AM

:laugh:

True, TC! Add to that any pro football team from Ohio getting to the 2nd round of the NFL playoffs!

Chip R
09-11-2006, 09:08 AM

* A MLB game that is forfeited. When was the last one... was it Disco Demolition Night in old Comiskey Park (1979?)?

Sometime in the 80s, L.A. had to forfeit a game to StL because it was ball night and there was a bad call and fans wouldn't stop throwing balls on the field.

cumberlandreds
09-11-2006, 10:28 AM

* A football or soccer game that is cancelled after the game has started. Lightning, tornado or a riot... are these the only reasons? These sports play in rain or snow.

* A basketball game that is cancelled after is has started. A riot (some of those European games... or Ron Artest in Detroit)?

* A #1 college team (basketball or football) getting defeated by an unranked team (not in the top 25). I know that Wright State University beat Michigan State 53-49 in men's basketball in 1999. Cannot recall any others off the top of my head in b-ball or f-ball.

I think Virginia was ranked number one when they lost to Chaminade,an NAIA team at the time. This was in the early 80's when Ralph Sampson was playing. This is considered by many to be the biggest uspet of all time in college basketball.

guttle11
09-11-2006, 10:31 AM

Michigan State was ranked 6 at the time WSU beat them, I believe.

GAC
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM

We still rebuilding. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
09-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I think Virginia was ranked number one when they lost to Chaminade,an NAIA team at the time. This was in the early 80's when Ralph Sampson was playing. This is considered by many to be the biggest uspet of all time in college basketball.

Great one. I remember that. It was in the Maui Invitational tournament (or whatever it was called back then). The only reason Chaminade was there was b/c they were the "host team".

Michigan State was ranked 6 at the time WSU beat them, I believe.

You are probably right, guttle. I did some checking and MSU was 9-3 when they came into that game at Wright State. Defending NCAA champs IIRC... and that is what threw me! I think guard Mateen Cleaves might have been hurt and out of that game as well.

Blimpie
09-11-2006, 12:37 PM
A certain group of perpetually tortured college football fans prematurely celebrating a victory over a modestly ranked Top 25 football team.

Said fans go so far as to rush the field attempting to extract the goalposts used during this potential victory over a Top 25 team.

Top 25 football team heaves a hail mary pass which is caught. Their receiver proceeds to break about seven tackles and score the winning touchdown as time expires.

Perpetually troubled fans quietly come down from the goalposts when they are told they did not win contest. Eveybody leaves the field in an orderly fashion--including the losing coach who was just showered by Gatorade.

westofyou
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Goalie Fights in Hockey - My all faves Roy vs. Vernon on March 26, 1997 and Roy versus Osgood on April 1, 1998.

Guys with 40 EBH and less then 300 at bats.

SEASON
MODERN (1900-)
AT BATS <= 300

EXTRA BASE HITS YEAR EBH AB
T1 Tim Teufel 1987 43 299
T1 Tommy Henrich 1940 43 293
T3 Jim Spencer 1979 41 295
T3 Matt Williams 1995 41 283
T5 Mark McGwire 2000 40 236
T5 Larry Walker 1996 40 272
T5 Joe Hauser 1928 40 300
T5 Todd Hundley 2000 40 299

Ross is on pace to achieve this

GoGoWhiteSox
09-11-2006, 02:03 PM
A Cubs World Series title.

Hap
09-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Juan Castro making a bad throw.

Junior playing pain-free.

Scott Hatteberg swinging at the first pitch.

Travis Dawkins in a big league uniform.

Brandon Larson webgems.

Ray Olmedo upper deck home runs.

A Reds pitcher pitching a 1-2-3 ninth inning in a save situation.

Major league outfielders using two hands to catch a fly ball.

Rojo
09-11-2006, 02:22 PM
An actually pick-off throw to third from the pitcher which is probably why you don't often see the fake-to-third-then-to-first gambit work.

redsfan30
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I was at that Wright State-Michigan State game, and have the ticket to prove it.

You're right RFA66, Mateen Cleaves did not play in that game due to an ankle injury. He dressed and warmed up, but did not play.

Never in my wildest imagination did I expect to see what I saw that night at the Nutter Center.

Ltlabner
09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't know the official rule name for it....

That move when a team thinks a runner missed a base runing around for a home run. So after it's all over and the next batter comes up the pitcher throws over to 3rd base. The ump does the "safe" motion and then the game resumes.

Maybe this works all the time and I miss it but I've never seen it work.

15fan
09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Duke shooting fewer free throws than their opponent.

durl
09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Good news from the media?

Highlifeman21
09-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Golf related....

The US winning the Ryder Cup. I don't like our chances this year either, sadly enough.

Player forced to take a penalty for his ball hitting him after he strikes it. One of the more amusing 2 stroke penalty situations out there.

Player putting, hitting the pin while it's still in the cup. Another two stroke penalty. You never see it on any Tour, but I'm sure every golf course sees it on a daily basis.

Player breaking a club during normal use and being allowed to replace it during a round. Chris DiMarco in the Masters a few years back was the last time I can remember it ever happening, and being publicized.

Nascar related....

A driver, in a post race interview, not thanking 749005503 sponsors. I know they pay for your billboard on wheels, but come on, you're the one driving, take some credit for yourself.

Caution free races. Seriously, when was the last time anyone saw a race without 1 yellow flag during the entire race?

BoydsOfSummer
09-17-2006, 06:31 PM
We still rebuilding. ;)

Setting things up for the new park opening in 2036.

deltachi8
09-17-2006, 07:07 PM

September 29, 1984: Syracuse 17, #1 Nebraska 9

Chip R
09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Golf related....
Player putting, hitting the pin while it's still in the cup. Another two stroke penalty. You never see it on any Tour, but I'm sure every golf course sees it on a daily basis.

I thought you could leave the pin in and hit it with the ball as long as it isn't being tended.

dabvu2498
09-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I thought you could leave the pin in and hit it with the ball as long as it isn't being tended.

Off the green, yes... on the green, no.

Highlifeman21
09-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Not on the putting green. If you're on the putting green, the pin can be tended, but must be taken out when the ball is going in. If the ball hits the pin while you're on the putting surface (not the fringe, the rough, the collar, etc), it's a 2 stroke penalty.

OldRightHander
09-23-2006, 10:19 AM
An actually pick-off throw to third from the pitcher which is probably why you don't often see the fake-to-third-then-to-first gambit work.

I'm surprised nobody else said this yet, so here goes. That hasn't worked since Abner Doubleday was in diapers.

OldRightHander
09-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Not on the putting green. If you're on the putting green, the pin can be tended, but must be taken out when the ball is going in. If the ball hits the pin while you're on the putting surface (not the fringe, the rough, the collar, etc), it's a 2 stroke penalty.

How many of us do that when we're playing alone? If I'm on the course by myself, just playing for the heck of it, I don't pull the pin. It's a waste of time and I don't want to hold up anyone waiting for me to get off the green.

OnBaseMachine
09-23-2006, 07:03 PM

Funny you should mention that...the Texas and Iowa State game has been suspended in the 4th quarter due to severe weather in Austin.:D

Highlifeman21
09-23-2006, 07:12 PM
How many of us do that when we're playing alone? If I'm on the course by myself, just playing for the heck of it, I don't pull the pin. It's a waste of time and I don't want to hold up anyone waiting for me to get off the green.

Sure, I did it as a junior player, but now even when playing alone, I still pull the pin. Just habit I guess.

If you're holding people up as a single, wow are you slow! :eek: :)

MaineRed
09-23-2006, 07:16 PM
I find that putting is harder when the pin is in. The hole just seems smaller I guess. I leave it in sometimes, but most often I take it out for that reason.

I think taking the pin out is a good idea when chipping from off the green as well. It tells your brain your trying to make it. I believe the mental image is a big help. A lot of the pros do it.

Some people like the pin. I've seen it do more harm than good.

OldRightHander
09-23-2006, 11:34 PM
If you're holding people up as a single, wow are you slow! :eek: :)

When I'm playing by myself and a larger group lets me play through. I try to finish the hold quickly so they don't have to wait any longer than necessary.