PDA

View Full Version : Def Leppard and Journey

Sean_CaseyRules
09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
So I was at the concert in Columbus last night, and it definately ROCKED!! The only thing I noticed was that it really wasn't as loud as some of the other concerts I've been to...I was wandering if there was a noise ordinance against the Germain Amplitheater or something? Were there any other Zoners that went?

dman
09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
I wasn't there, but it only makes sense that these two bands would tour together. I always thought of Def Leppard as being the U.K.'s answer to Journey. Was Neal Schon on tour with Journey?

westofyou
09-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Def Leppard and Journey

I'll bite... the answers in the form of a question right?

"Name two bands whose lead singers sported a mullet."

TeamBoone
09-11-2006, 11:01 PM
I always thought of Def Leppard as being the U.K.'s answer to Journey.

Wow! This would never have entered my mind. You really think these two bands are a lot alike?

Heath
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Who are Spinal Tap and Quiet Riot?

:dunno:

dman
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Wow! This would never have entered my mind. You really think these two bands are a lot alike?

Yeah, when you sit back and listen, there are similarities between Steve Perry's and Joe Elliot's voices, the way the bands harmonize and their vocals, and the big guitar parts.

Dom Heffner
09-12-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm with TB. These bands are nothing alike.

RedFanAlways1966
09-12-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm with TB. These bands are nothing alike.

I feel the same way. Steve Perry (in his prime) was 10X the singer that Joe Elliot was. Don't get me wrong... I dug Def Leppard back in the day and didn't get into Journey that much (girl band), but Perry was a professional singer. Elliot was a drummer who turned to singing when his drumming skills weren't cuttin' it. Def Leppard didn't really do much harmonizing vocals until their 4th or 5th album (Hysteria). They were more of a guitar-band before they decided to "sellout" (not meant as a putdown) to the MTV thing. Journey was always a melodic thing... and wrote some classic songs.

Johnny Footstool
09-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Name two bands that have never been in my kitchen.

dman
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
I got looking and saw that having Mutt Lange as a producer on albums from both bands was a common denominator. Maybe it was more his work that gave me the impression that the bands sounded somewhat similar, rather than the bands actually sounding alike.

BuckWoody
09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
So I was at the concert in Columbus last night, and it definately ROCKED!! The only thing I noticed was that it really wasn't as loud as some of the other concerts I've been to...I was wandering if there was a noise ordinance against the Germain Amplitheater or something? Were there any other Zoners that went?
The first thought that went through my head was that with the age of the bands and of their fans, they don't want the music to be too loud anymore. :D

I include myself in the age thing as well; those two bands dominated when I was in my impressionable high school years. Def Leppard was a "guys" band and Journey was a "girls" band. Of course the guys listened to a lot of Journey because it's what the girls listened to...wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more...

Sounds like a really good show, regardless. I wonder if they're coming through Dayton.

Chip R
09-12-2006, 09:01 AM

Only two?

Sean_CaseyRules
09-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Was Neal Schon on tour with Journey?

I'm really not sure, I couldn't see anything, we were as far back as we could be....:bang: :bang:

durl
09-12-2006, 03:04 PM
I thought Neal Schon WAS Journey now that Perry is gone. No offense to the other Journey guys, but take away signature vocal and signature guitar and you've got nothing but a cover band.

I never thought the two bands sounded alike, to be honest. I think Def Leppard was the more "melodic" of the rock bands of the 80's (less screaming), but they were definitely more on the hard rock side than Journey.

Highlifeman21
09-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Everytime I hear Steve Perry, I think about Baseketball, and that scene in the driveway when Squeak comes to turn off their gas.

Steve Perry..... Steve Perry.... and you should've been gone.....

pedro
09-13-2006, 03:08 AM
When the lights go down in the sit-ay
pour some sugar on me
Those crazy nights, I do remember in my youth

Cooper
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Dint Mutt Lange produce the only melodic AC/DC album ever? He kinda waters down everything to this stylized harmony white wash. Some groups need that kind of polish to make their sound a little more palatable to the ear (i.e. Ac/Dc), but there are only so many Shania songs you can take (that sound the same). Mutt Lange was the late 80's version of Jim Stienhem...the Meat Loaf/Air Supply sound.

REDREAD
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM

Yes, I believe there is an ordinance now. One band (maybe it was Tom Petty, but I'm not positive) got a pretty heavy fine for being too loud.

I saw Def Lepard about 15 years ago in a basketball stadium.. my ears hurt for days afterwards, but it was a lot of fun.

gilpdawg
09-14-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm really not sure, I couldn't see anything, we were as far back as we could be....:bang: :bang:
Schon is still with them.

westofyou
09-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Schon is still with them.

http://www.jimicrowley.com/pics/neal.jpg

lo ryder
09-15-2006, 12:06 AM

Hey. Maybe you need a hearing aid man. I know at 39 it would help me.

GAC
09-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I simply hated the song "Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin". That "na, na, na, na, na, na" drove me nuts!

REDREAD
09-15-2006, 11:00 PM
I simply hated the song "Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin". That "na, na, na, na, na, na" drove me nuts!

Yeah, but back in the 80's when you were with a girl and had no clue (or forgot) what music she liked, Journey was a nice, safe, no-brainer tape to pop in. For that, I will be forever grateful to them. I actually had 4 of their tapes at one point, before the great album/cassette destruction incident that pshyco-b*tch did to me.

GAC
09-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Yeah, but back in the 80's when you were with a girl and had no clue (or forgot) what music she liked, Journey was a nice, safe, no-brainer tape to pop in. For that, I will be forever grateful to them. I actually had 4 of their tapes at one point, before the great album/cassette destruction incident that pshyco-b*tch did to me.

And Journey helped to introduce you to this woman? :lol:

REDREAD
09-19-2006, 01:32 PM
And Journey helped to introduce you to this woman? :lol:

You know, I never thought of that, but that is true. :laugh: I guess Steve Perry is partially responsible for that nightmare.

zombielady
09-20-2006, 12:53 PM

Did you learn that from Fasttimes at Ridgemont High?