PDA

View Full Version : 2007 team after free agency

swingman24
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
if this ownership group is really serious about winning this off-season will be the test because a lot of great free agents are out there... heres who i think we can get ...

1. Daisuke Matsuzaka SP - the MVP of the World Baseball Classic. Contract: 4 years for 50 million
2. Alfonso Soriano 2B - we can put him at 2B where he wants to be or in left and trade adam dunn. Contract: 5 years for 67.5 million
3. Jose Guillen RF- this guy would be a bargain i mean he did absolutely great here and has a rocket arm. This allows us to use Freel like he should be, the guys who gives someone a day off now and then. Contract: 3 years 12 million
4. Mark Buehrle SP - this guy is a ground ball pitcher which we need despreately, but we can only get him if the white sox decline his option. Contract: 3 years 21 million
5. Keith Foulke RP- its no secret we still need help in the bullpen so why not get Foulke, he was at one time a great closer and still could be, he has something to prove. Contract: 1 year 4 million

all in all we spend about 37 million dollars this offseason but also we dont really spend that much because wilson's contract is up and we will trade milton, we payed them alot of money plus a couple other guys not worth keepin are leavin.

Trade:
Milton traded for two minor league pitchers

contracts we would lose after this year.
1. Paul Wilson- let go
2. David Weathers - resign
3. Kent Mercker- let go
4. Scott Schoeneweis- resign
5. Rich Aurilia- let go
6. Eddie Guardado- let go
7. Juan Castro- let go
8. Royce Clayton- let go
9. Ryan Franklin- let go
10. Chris Hammond- let go
11. Joe Mays- let go
12. Jason Johnson- let go
13. Todd Hollandsworth- resign

lineup:
1. Phillips SS
2. Dunn LF
3. Jr. CF
4. Soriano 2B
5. Guillen RF
6. Votto 1B
7. Encarnacion 3B
8. Ross C
9. P

Bench:
c LaRue
util Freel
if Olmedo
of hollandsworth
of hopper

rotation:
1. Harang
2. Arroyo
3. Matsuzaka
4. Lohse
5. Beuhrle- if white sox pick up his option then it would be... Claussen/Ramirez/Bailey

bullpen:
majewski
bray
foulke
coffey
cormier
schoeneweis
strandridge
weathers

am i just dreaming or do you think the owners would put enough money towards doing this??

Homer Bailey
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I hate to say I think you are dreaming... Soriano is going to take an insane amount of money.

BoCcc2832
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM
First off, you forgot Scott Hatteberg...he's playing first rather than Votto...second, you forgot Javier Valentin...that means LaRue is gone...no one will take Milton's 9 million dollar contract either...at least I would be surprised if they did...we will have to absorb quite a bit of that...you're dreaming with Soriano...there's no way we would get him and I don't really want him...I am suspicious of his power and I don't want that cloud hanging over Cincinnati. We can easily use Aurilia, Freel, or Brendan Harris for a whole lot cheaper. Also, five bucks on Schoenweis and Weathers returning for next year.

SultanOfSwing
09-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I think you are quite a bit off, IMO. If Matsuka and Buehrle would really go for that money, then we should grab them. But we can't get them for that amount with other teams competing. Up Matsuka by about $10 million and Buehrle by $15 million and that is more realistic. And don't forget the $10 million+ it will take just to negotiate with Matsuka.

Even if we could swing all that, Dunn would have to go, so would Milton, and Griffey, most likely.

And trust me, there will be a lot of trading this off-season. I believe Dunn, Milton, and LaRue will be gone for sure, and maybe Griffey too.

swingman24
09-13-2006, 04:13 PM
LaRue is tied up for a couple years and no one wants him we're stuck and valentin is a free agent... i think wayne and the ownership group could and should pull this off if they are serious about contending....

swingman24
09-13-2006, 04:14 PM
and hey the yankees will be lookin for starting pitching and they got money to go around so why not jus give them milton for cash??

BoCcc2832
09-13-2006, 04:15 PM
"Valentin was given a one-year, $1.25 million contract extension for 2007 with a club option for 2008." - CincinnatiReds.com

Valentin is not a free agent next year

justincredible
09-13-2006, 04:16 PM
you're dreaming with Soriano...there's no way we would get him and I don't really want him...I am suspicious of his power and I don't want that cloud hanging over Cincinnati.

I agree that it's a dream to think we will land Soriano, but how can you be suspect to his power? He has more HRs than Dunn and he plays in RFK. If Soriano played at GABP he would probably have 50 HR seasons.

swingman24
09-13-2006, 04:16 PM
and ya i guess i could see trading griffey putting freel in CF but griffey has restructured his contract once im sure he'll do it again if it means he's closer to a WS ring

swingman24
09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
well i guess if valentin is sured up for 07 then LaRue will have to be DFA he jus has no place on this team unless no one else can replace him

BoCcc2832
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I agree that it's a dream to think we will land Soriano, but how can you be suspect to his power? He has more HRs than Dunn and he plays in RFK. If Soriano played at GABP he would probably have 50 HR seasons.

Soriano: Height: 6'1" Weight: 180 (meaning, he's small for a big leaguer)

cincy09
09-13-2006, 04:25 PM
this is all a joke right?

justincredible
09-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Soriano: Height: 6'1" Weight: 180 (meaning, he's small for a big leaguer)

He also swings the biggest bat in the majors and has some of the quickest hands I have ever seen. Its all about bat speed and he definitely has it.

Joseph
09-13-2006, 05:10 PM
If pitching and defense win championships then that lineup wouldn't sniff the playoffs.

Phillips has been labelled as one of the worst defensive IFers when it comes to turning a double play by more than one opposing teams announcers, Dunn is a hitter, not a fielder, Ross is below average at best defensively, Soriano [at 2nd] makes Edwin look like a gold glover and EE is among the league leaders in errors at 3rd, and we all know Junior ain't the 'Kid' anymore when it comes to patrolling CF.

GOREDSGO32
09-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Keep Aurilia he has come through big for us the past two years when everyone thought he was a POS.

Dracodave
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
That bullpen loosely resembles this years at the begining, aging relievers on a decline and youngster who aren't learning. Bray may or may not improve. Gary could or could not adjust.

Too many if's with that bullpen..

The start rotation isn't going to happen.

Look for a Padilla or a Solid #3 starter instead, possibly trade. I have a feeling if Kriv and Cast are in to win, they need to sell Ross high and cash in on atleast a mlb ready pitcher who translates to a number 4/5 type or a few prospects.

Matsuka isn't going to happen, the 70 mill invested in him unless he sports a 32-0 record with a .05 era isnt worth it. Let the Yank's or the Met's over bid on him, we need to recruit the guys that can pitch here, and that we can make a good pitch at.

Buerhle is good, but he is a red sox/yank pick up if the White Sox let him go. They will outbid everyone.

More plausible rotation is

Harrang
Arroyo
Padilla
Milton
Loshe
Easy E.
Intercharge Milton and Loshe depending on how they start off. Thats not a solid rotation,but the top three are a force in themselves.

Bullpen, I have no idea, but I would say if Bailey does half as good in Double A/Triple A next year slot him in as a long relief for the time being, expose him but not fully.

We still have a gapping hole at set up and closer that we need to adress.

redleg32
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
The only free-agent from another team that we need to be after is Jason Schmidt!

Dracodave
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
The only free-agent from another team that we need to be after is Jason Schmidt!

Don't think someone will outbid us? Plus, I wouln't offer him any more than 2 years with a team option for a third.

ChatterRed
09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
if this ownership group is really serious about winning this off-season will be the test because a lot of great free agents are out there... heres who i think we can get ...

1. Daisuke Matsuzaka SP - the MVP of the World Baseball Classic. Contract: 4 years for 50 million
2. Alfonso Soriano 2B - we can put him at 2B where he wants to be or in left and trade adam dunn. Contract: 5 years for 67.5 million
3. Jose Guillen RF- this guy would be a bargain i mean he did absolutely great here and has a rocket arm. This allows us to use Freel like he should be, the guys who gives someone a day off now and then. Contract: 3 years 12 million
4. Mark Buehrle SP - this guy is a ground ball pitcher which we need despreately, but we can only get him if the white sox decline his option. Contract: 3 years 21 million
5. Keith Foulke RP- its no secret we still need help in the bullpen so why not get Foulke, he was at one time a great closer and still could be, he has something to prove. Contract: 1 year 4 million

all in all we spend about 37 million dollars this offseason but also we dont really spend that much because wilson's contract is up and we will trade milton, we payed them alot of money plus a couple other guys not worth keepin are leavin.

Trade:
Milton traded for two minor league pitchers

contracts we would lose after this year.
1. Paul Wilson- let go
2. David Weathers - resign
3. Kent Mercker- let go
4. Scott Schoeneweis- resign
5. Rich Aurilia- let go
6. Eddie Guardado- let go
7. Juan Castro- let go
8. Royce Clayton- let go
9. Ryan Franklin- let go
10. Chris Hammond- let go
11. Joe Mays- let go
12. Jason Johnson- let go
13. Todd Hollandsworth- resign

lineup:
1. Phillips SS
2. Dunn LF
3. Jr. CF
4. Soriano 2B
5. Guillen RF
6. Votto 1B
7. Encarnacion 3B
8. Ross C
9. P

Bench:
c LaRue
util Freel
if Olmedo
of hollandsworth
of hopper

rotation:
1. Harang
2. Arroyo
3. Matsuzaka
4. Lohse
5. Beuhrle- if white sox pick up his option then it would be... Claussen/Ramirez/Bailey

bullpen:
majewski
bray
foulke
coffey
cormier
schoeneweis
strandridge
weathers

am i just dreaming or do you think the owners would put enough money towards doing this??

I disagree with who you think will be let go.

I read somewhere that the Reds hold an option on Aurilia..........and I definitely would not let him go. He is competing for MVP of the team right now, in my opinion. Plays multiple positions, hit over 20 HR's, has had many clutch hits, batting over .300.......what in the hell do you want from the guy? You want to let him go? (cough)

Schoeneweis, Franklin, Weathers, and Castro will be retained.

The problem with this team is they have a lazy, strikeout machine, HR hitting left fielder who rarely hits in the clutch. Dunn will be traded in the offseason.....COUNT ON IT. Word from inside is that management has had with him.

Another problem is they have an aging injury-prone HOFer in CF that nobody wants to tell to move to LF and nobody wants to tell him to bat 5th or lower.

They have the remains of a stupid contract for a catcher who is batting .184 on the season. I think he went a month without a hit or something like that. Sure he has had a few big hits lately.........woo-hoo. More damage by Obie with stupid signings.

Another problem is that fan favorite Freel plays so hard and he does play injured........but those hidden injuries make him way less effective at times. His health is a concern.

In other words......our outfield is in shambles and our infield is pretty decent offensively. But we count on our OFers for power hitting and they rarely do it in the clutch. There are no David Ortiz's in our lineup. We need a Pujols type power hitter who makes them count.

I see this new management actually getting involved in FA next off season........and I see alot of changes with this team for next year.

The off season is going to be very very interesting.

Natty Redlocks
09-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I disagree with who you think will be let go.

1. I read somewhere that the Reds hold an option on Aurilia..........and I definitely would not let him go. He is competing for MVP of the team right now, in my opinion. Plays multiple positions, hit over 20 HR's, has had many clutch hits, batting over .300.......what in the hell do you want from the guy? You want to let him go? (cough)

Schoeneweis, Franklin, Weathers, and Castro will be retained.

The problem with this team is they have a lazy, strikeout machine, HR hitting left fielder who rarely hits in the clutch. Dunn will be traded in the offseason.....COUNT ON IT. 2. Word from inside is that management has had with him.

Another problem is they have an aging injury-prone HOFer in CF that nobody wants to tell to move to LF and nobody wants to tell him to bat 5th or lower.

They have the remains of a stupid contract for a catcher who is batting .184 on the season. I think he went a month without a hit or something like that. Sure he has had a few big hits lately.........woo-hoo. More damage by Obie with stupid signings.

Another problem is that fan favorite Freel plays so hard and he does play injured........3. but those hidden injuries make him way less effective at times.His health is a concern.

In other words......our outfield is in shambles and our infield is pretty decent offensively. But we count on our OFers for power hitting and they rarely do it in the clutch. There are no David Ortiz's in our lineup. 4. We need a Pujols type power hitter who makes them count.

I see this new management actually getting involved in FA next off season........and I see alot of changes with this team for next year.

The off season is going to be very very interesting.

1. I'd love to see Aurilia back, but it's a mutual option. He'll want to play every day, but there's no place for them to give him an everyday spot (I don't think they'll put him in the middle infield). Someone will probably sign him to play third.

2. Do you actually have "word from inside"? Or is this just more wild speculation? I do think there's a chance he'll be traded, but it has more to do with pitching and defense being more important than offense.

3. Every player in the lineup has been "way less effective at times". Why is everyone else allowed to slump, but Freel isn't?

4. Wow, great idea. Let's just pick one off the MVP tree.

BigREDSfaninKY
09-14-2006, 09:57 AM
How about this for an idea: instead of going on the notion that the Yanks/Mets/Red Sox will outbid everyone for quality FA's, maybe the Reds should some love to these FA's. You never know what you can reel in if you put the right bait on.:D

Will M
09-14-2006, 06:30 PM
1. Untouchables: EE, Phillips, Harang, Arroyo & our few A prospects ( Bailey, Bruce,etc )

EVERYONE else is tradable in the right deal

2. I think we have too many OK relievers. Why do we need to sign Schoeneweis, Franklin, & Weathers?
We will have Bray Majik Coffey Cormier Belisle.
We need a closer not 3 more middle relievers.

3. " Castro will be retained." I have no problem with this depending on who else we sign/trade for. I would like WK to look at Craig Counsell. Bats left. Good defender. Speedy. Hustles. Would be good for 120 games at 2B/SS/3B.
Should the Reds resign Rich Aurillia & get Counsell then there is no need for Castro.

Counsell's versatility ( or someone like him ) would help rest Freel ( and Phillips ).

4. I too have decided that Dunn or Griffey has to play left and the other has to go. We can live with one poor defender but not two. If Dunn goes we need to replace his 100 rbis in ADDITION to improving the offense. We would then need a CF ( Hunter? Cameron? trade? ) and a Rf/2B ( depending on where Freel plays ). The team plays in GABP - we need a team that can score some runs. We had WAY TOO MANY games this year scoring less than four runs.

5. 2 words: Carlos Lee

Seriously, this team needs another stud offensive player to go with EE.
Someone who can give us 100 rbis & hit in the clutch.
If not Lee then we need to look via free agency or trade for someone like him.

6. The team needs more leader type players & less lazy Griffey/Dunn type players. I think Phillips has leadership qualities but he is a rookie this year.
Other than Phillips & Aurillia no one else strikes me as a leader type.

- Will

p.s. - sad to say but after today's loss the Reds are done for 2006. Play the regulars this week then play Denorfia, Olmedo, Votto,whoever.
It was fun but it is over. :(

schroomytunes
09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
What about this trade. It may work for both sides.

Reds trade: Adam Dunn and Matt Belisle

Angels trade: Juan Rivera and Howie Kendrick

Angels use Dunn as there DH/1b but mostly as DH

The Reds move Rivera into the RF slot and can use Kendrick as the 2b, these moves would allow us to slide Phillips to SS and Griffey to left. We than can use the $$ saved from Dunn to aquire either Juan Pierre or Torii Hunter to man CF. Then we could still land a B type FA pitcher(Lilly,Padilla,Redman) Our lineup and starting pitching would be:

Starting Pitching: Harang,Arroyo,FA,Milton,Lohse
Lineup:
1)Phillips-ss
2)Kendrick-2b
3)Hunter-cf
4)EE-3b
5)Griffey-lf
6)Rivera-rf
7)Hatteberg-1b
8)Larue/Valentin-c

to me this is a more balenced lineup, its better defensively, and has more speed. It is a possibility but Dunn has to go.

BEETTLEBUG
09-14-2006, 08:23 PM
What about signing Schoneweis then sign Reitsma instead of Franklin and Weathers?

SultanOfSwing
09-15-2006, 10:25 AM

The Reds move Rivera into the RF slot and can use Kendrick as the 2b, these moves would allow us to slide Phillips to SS and Griffey to left. We than can use the $$ saved from Dunn to aquire either Juan Pierre or Torii Hunter to man CF. Then we could still land a B type FA pitcher(Lilly,Padilla,Redman) Our lineup and starting pitching would be:

Starting Pitching: Harang,Arroyo,FA,Milton,Lohse
Lineup:
1)Phillips-ss
2)Kendrick-2b
3)Hunter-cf
4)EE-3b
5)Griffey-lf
6)Rivera-rf
7)Hatteberg-1b
8)Larue/Valentin-c

to me this is a more balenced lineup, its better defensively, and has more speed. It is a possibility but Dunn has to go.

I actually really like this idea. I think is more realistic than other trade "ideas" posted on this board. I have been pushing for a Dunn-to-Angels trade for a long time.

However, I do believe you have to get starting pitching in any deal involving Dunn. So likely more pieces would be added to obtain Ervin Santana. Too, I think we might be better off dropping Rivera since we have Bruce in the minors. We could then sign a good RF FA.

How about this:

Dunn, Belisle, Freel
for
Kendrick, Santana, Rivera

or

Dunn, Belisle, Denorfia
Kendrick, Santana, Donnelly

Dunn, Belisle, Denorfia, Milton (eat $4 mil), B or C-type prospect
for
Kendrick, Santana, Rivera, Donnelly, maybe another piece?

Will M
09-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Getting both Santana & Kendrick in the same deal for Dunn would be tough ( IMO )

I think the Tigers and the Angels would be the teams that would be most interested in Dunn ( and have pitching to trade )

- Will

REDREAD
09-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Also, five bucks on Schoenweis and Weathers returning for next year.

Hard to say on Schoenweis. He made 3 million this year. That's quite a bit to spend on a lefty on the pen. I wouldn't complain if he was brought back, but the Reds typically don't pay that much for middle relief. I think they traded for Gabe White and inherited a similiar contract once (I don't know if they got cash back in that deal or not). That's the only case I can recall.

jimbo
09-18-2006, 06:10 PM
5. 2 words: Carlos Lee

Seriously, this team needs another stud offensive player to go with EE.
Someone who can give us 100 rbis & hit in the clutch.
If not Lee then we need to look via free agency or trade for someone like him.

If you want to get get rid of either Dunn or Griffey to get better defensively, then no way Carlos Lee is the answer. He may be the only other left fielder in the game worse than Dunn.

VI_RedsFan
09-18-2006, 07:38 PM

The Reds move Rivera into the RF slot and can use Kendrick as the 2b, these moves would allow us to slide Phillips to SS and Griffey to left. We than can use the $$ saved from Dunn to aquire either Juan Pierre or Torii Hunter to man CF.

I like this trade. Howie Kendrick is going to be a STUD offensively and he really should be a guy we target in a Dunn trade with the Angels. But, I think we should expand this trade in an effort to get some starting pitching in return. Whenever we talk about a Dunn trade with LAA, we always talk about Ervin Santana but this guy is never mentioned and it surprises me:

John Lackey

He is the type of pitcher we need to be targeting. He is a guy who can give you 12-15 wins, 200 innings, a sub-4.00 ERA, and close to 200 strikeouts per season. He is a similar type of pitcher to Harang and Arroyo, and look how they turned out for us. And hey, he's still pretty young too (He turns 29 in October). So I say we do this deal instead:

Reds Trade: Adam Dunn, Matt Belisle, and Chris Denorfia

Angels Trade: Howie Kendrick, John Lackey, and Juan Rivera

We then sign a Torii Hunter/Juan Pierre to man CF and go into next season with this rotation and lineup:

Harang
Arroyo
Lackey
Milton/Lohse
FA/Ramirez/Bailey

Lineup #1 (Pierre)

Pierre
Phillips
Encarnacion
Griffey
Kendrick
Rivera
Hatteberg
LaRue/Ross (one of them needs to be traded)

Lineup #2 (Hunter)

Phillips
Kendrick
Encarnacion
Hunter
Griffey
Rivera
Hatteberg
LaRue/Ross

Will M
09-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I was joking about getting Lee specifically but we need another stud offensive player to go with EE

VI_RedsFan
09-18-2006, 09:02 PM
I was joking about getting Lee specifically but we need another stud offensive player to go with EE

I agree, and I think Kendrick could be that guy. Could you imagine an infield of Phillips, EE, and Kendrick?! I'm not advocating a Dunn trade, but if Kriv were to entertain offers from LAA for Adam, he needs to ask for Kendrick. He's going to be a stud.

Slyder
09-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I saw the talk on another board I post and wrote this up. Thought I'd share on both and see what I get.

My thoughts on this offseason are....

1) THIS IS A MUST #1 pitcher- Harang and Arroyo could round out as one of the best #2 and #3 combinations in MLB right now, but neither has the real ability to be a legitimate #1, yes they have shown glimpses but I feel they would be best used in the 2 and 3 roles. Eitehr by creative trade or by FA.

2) Find another back of the rotation guy. Give Milton his walking papers and get it over with. You can find much better options elsewhere.

3) Move Phillips to SS and tell Clayton We want you out of town YESTERDAY. Give Olemado 2b look or Freel to 2b and Deno in RF.

4) Find a couple YOUNG MR to try rebolster that pen.

5) Depth in the OF. You might be thinking "Are you nuts" but beyond Freel (who would be at 2b for me) and Dunn who is there that we can count on for 130+ games or know what we can expect?

Being a results oriented person like Woody Page I am looking at free agents coming into the year and found the following....
Looking at http://www.redsinsite.com/playerinfo....php?year=2007 it that is correct... Hammond's contract is off the books since he got released.
1) Buyout Paul Wilson's contract (savings $4.35 mil)

2) Rework with Aurilia or let him walk (savings $1.25- 2 mil)
Anyone know what Milton's buyout is? The site lists it as a player option.

3) Sign Jason Schmidt to a 2-3 yr deal with 2 mutual option years so if Schmidt gets old we are not tied under for too much money for too long and he can have job security. Also front load the deal, yes it might hurt more early on but then after that he's reasonably priced and we still have money to work on. He's past his arm problems and reached 200 IP (213 total) for the 5th time in his career and 3 of the past 4 years. Career 1.10 GB/FB ratio, has playoff experience and pitching in a pennant race. I would probably assume he is probably going to get in the range of 2-3 yrs/$27-30 mil.
Zito and Buehrle scare me. Id rather go older with Schmidt than the guys whos Whips are higher.
Also the SP is going to have a lot of interest with that Japanesse dude. He also picked BorASS as his agent so 2 of the top SP on the market has the biggest Arse of them all representing them, both are likely to attract a lot of attention maybe slip under the radar on another couple guys?

Example: 2007 14 mil, 2008 12 mil, 2009 8 mil= 34 mil over 3 years. He sees 3/4 of the money in the first 2 years of the contract then 09 only 8 mil with Larue, Milton, among others gone after 07= Lots of money to spend for the reds.

4) Contact Jose Guillen. We all see this offense needs a bit of tweaking. This offseason Guillen is going to be the forgotten man with Sheffield, Soriano, Schmidt, among others sucking up a lot of the interest. Let him know ahead of time he would have to earn a spot but I think he being 30 would be a very good risk to take. If he would take a 2-3 yr deal low first year (2-3 milish) with escalators based on performance I think we would be in great shape with him as the backup CF and competing with RF. Plus this would upgrade the defense if he is in there.

5) Lots of the guys we got in trades are FAs at the end of the year. Scott Schoenweis has an era of .77 in 12 app for us. If he would sign for cheap keep him in the NL and see if a change of leagues is what he needed to at least be servicable.

6) Rest of the possible FA.... Good Bye.

9) I am assuming Aurila's as good as gone to a team that can give him a solid everyday job so we would have to find a platoon 1b, anyone have any ideas?

10) Bring in Vincente Padilla for the back of the rotation attempt. probably a bit pricey but still not as much as Milton would cost. 3-7 mil tops. You guys have sold me on bringing him in if he can get signed for no more than 5-6 mil per year, it would be a risk but that GB/FB might be a good fit for GABP. Maybe talk to Ted Lilly or Randy Wolf if they want more than 2-3 mil dont even bother trying cause it wont be worth it.

11) Find a cheap SS to use off the bench for defensive purposes/spot starts when Phillips is needed at 2b. The name Alex Gonzalez has come up but he carries less of a stick than Royce Clayton does LoL.

My Lineup:
1 Ryan Freel 2b
2 Adam Dunn LF
3 Jose Guillen RF
4 Edwin Encarcion 3b
5 Ken Griffey CF
6 David Ross C
7 Scott Hatteberg 1b or Brandon Phillips SS
8 Brandon Phillips SS/ 1b platoon

Denorfia utility OF. Freel moves around if/when we need days off. Backup SS/3b battle between Castro and Gonzalez, whoever has the "hot bat".

Rotation:
1 Schmidt- Use to having the mantle of ace.
2 Harang/Arroyo- Either way you can usually expect good starts from all 3.
3 Arroyo/Harang
4 Padilla/some other vet
5 Ramirez/Bailey (depending on news from fall ball/ST)/Michalak/Dumatrait/vet

Still not solid 1-5 but improved from the top down from what started the year in the rotation for us this year.

Yes I dont address the closer need, mainly because theres not much there. Gagne's done and Wickman's old if we want to bring him in we might as well just keep Eddie and probably get about the same.

Will M
09-19-2006, 03:51 PM
1) THIS IS A MUST #1 pitcher- Harang and Arroyo could round out as one of the best #2 and #3 combinations in MLB right now, but neither has the real ability to be a legitimate #1, yes they have shown glimpses but I feel they would be best used in the 2 and 3 roles. Either by creative trade or by FA.

A free agent #1 is going to cost $$$ and draft picks.
I am not sure it is worth it considering all this teams other needs.
( closer, CF, RF, 2b,depth )

2) Find another back of the rotation guy. Give Milton his walking papers and get it over with. You can find much better options elsewhere.

I think Milton could have some value to a team in a less homer friendly park

3) Move Phillips to SS and tell Clayton We want you out of town YESTERDAY. Give Olemado 2b look or Freel to 2b and Deno in RF.

Phillips at SS is a given.
Clayton will not be back.
I am not opposed to looking at Olmedo or Harris at 2b.
Deno is 4th of material only ( IMO ).

We have a crew of decent middle relievers already.
What we don't have is someone who can close.

5) Depth in the OF. You might be thinking "Are you nuts" but beyond Freel (who would be at 2b for me) and Dunn who is there that we can count on for 130+ games or know what we can expect?

Agree.
Griffey or Dunn in LF ( with the other traded ).
Freel at 2b/supersub.
Deno is 4th OF material.
Leaves holes at CF & RF.

1) Buyout Paul Wilson's contract (savings $4.35 mil)

Wilson won't be back

2) Rework with Aurilia or let him walk (savings $1.25- 2 mil)

I would REALLY like Aurillia back next year in the same role he had this year ( 1B vs lefties and spot starting at 2b/3b vs righties )

3) Sign Jason Schmidt to a 2 yr deal with 2 mutual option years so if Schmidt gets old we are not tied under for too much money and he can have certainty. He's past his arm problems on pace to reach 200 IP again (needs like 5 IP). Career 1.10 GB/FB ratio, has playoff experience and pitching in a pennant race. I would probably assume he is probably going to get in the range of 2 yrs/$22-26 mil.
Zito and Buehrle scare me. Id rather go older with Schmidt than the guys whos Whips are higher.

see above

4) Resign Juan Castro. Yes theres probably younger guys with great gloves but he knows the team he knows the clubhouse and has hit .270 in cincy so you certainly could do worse with guys off the bench. No I wouldnt have him start :P. Probably anywhere 500k-1 mil.

ok

5) Contact Jose Guillen. We all see this offense needs a bit of tweaking. This offseason Guillen is going to be the forgotten man with Sheffield, Soriano, Schmidt, among others sucking up a lot of the interest. Let him know ahead of time he would have to earn a spot but I think he being 30 would be a very good risk to take. If he would take a 2-3 yr deal low first year (2-3 milish) with escalators based on performance I think we would be in great shape with him as the backup CF and competing with RF. Plus this would upgrade the defense if he is in there.

I thought about this also.
He will have something to prove & will thrive in GABP ( vs the pitchers park in Washington DC )

6) Lots of the guys we got in trades are FAs at the end of the year. Scott Schoenweis has an era of .77 in 12 app for us. If he would sign for cheap keep him in the NL and see if a change of leagues is what he needed to at least be servicable.

We lareday have Bray, Coffey, Majik, Cormier, Belisle in middle relief.

7) If ready send Elizardo to fall ball and see which Ramirez is the real Ramirez.

I think EZ probably pitched enough.
Rest him and see what he has in spring training

8) Rest of the possible FA.... Good Bye.

9) If Aurilia is not resigned what about Travis Lee? Great Glove, some pop... one problem Scott BorASS.

- no

10) Bring in Ted Lilly for the back of the rotation attempt. probably a bit pricey but still not as much as Milton would cost for a LHP in the rotation. 2-4 mil tops. After a very bad 04 hes been at least decent this year. 1.8 K/BB ratio, gb/fb ratio is not that great but theres not many better options for "cheap" LHP. Maybe see what/if Cory Lidle would come back and eat innings for us at the back of the rotation.

Lilly has 'homeritis' like Milton

- Will

Kc61
09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I hate to say I think you are dreaming... Soriano is going to take an insane amount of money.

If the Reds aren't in the market for top guys like Soriano, then they will never emerge from the doldrums. Not saying he is the correct choice. But if the Reds are only interested in kids and cheap players, they are going nowhere.

The top teams in baseball have guys like Jeter, Beltran, and Pujois. You can't compete with them unless you try to get top players too.

REDREAD
09-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I saw the talk on another board I post and wrote this up. Thought I'd share on both and see what I get.

My thoughts on this offseason are....

1) THIS IS A MUST #1 pitcher- Harang and Arroyo could round out as one of the best #2 and #3 combinations in MLB right now, but neither has the real ability to be a legitimate #1, yes they have shown glimpses but I feel they would be best used in the 2 and 3 roles. Eitehr by creative trade or by FA.

Would be nice, but we don't have the trade fodder or the cash. I'm trying to think. The only pitchers close to #1 that are free agents are Zito and Schmidt, right? I don't think we'll win the bidding war. I'd be happy if they could pick up another solid #3 like Arroyo. Ideally, also pick up a .500 pitcher for the #4 slot, and slide Milton to #5.

Freel can't play 2b everyday. He's an OF that can play 2b on occasion, but not everyday. Also, it looks like the opposition has figured out how to get Freel out easily now. I wouldn't count on Freel being a big contributor next year. Olmedo is not a ML. Deno is a 4th OF at best. The Reds ideally would pick up another OF and middle infielder somehow..

Agree completely. I'd like to see the Reds fish for a bullpen arm in Rule V and be agressive at picking up young promising arms that might be out of options.
Also agree we need another OF, as I stated above. Guillen is a good idea you mentioned below.

4) Resign Juan Castro. Yes theres probably younger guys with great gloves but he knows the team he knows the clubhouse and has hit .270 in cincy so you certainly could do worse with guys off the bench. No I wouldnt have him start :P. Probably anywhere 500k-1 mil.

He's a cheap glove that can passably play SS. Given our barren farm, we have to sign him or someone like him.

6) Lots of the guys we got in trades are FAs at the end of the year. Scott Schoenweis has an era of .77 in 12 app for us. If he would sign for cheap keep him in the NL and see if a change of leagues is what he needed to at least be servicable.

Schoenweis made 3 million this year. That's kind of steep, but I guess it's cheaper than trading for them.

Degenerate39
09-19-2006, 07:32 PM
If they would trade Dunn to the Angels then why not for Bartolo Colon? Sure the guy has been hurt this year but he's a good pitcher and he could be our number 1 starter. Colon, Harang, then Arroyo.

Slyder
09-19-2006, 10:14 PM
If they would trade Dunn to the Angels then why not for Bartolo Colon? Sure the guy has been hurt this year but he's a good pitcher and he could be our number 1 starter. Colon, Harang, then Arroyo.

Colon's like 37 yrs old isnt he? Na Ill pass Dunn gives you much more for much longer.