09-13-2006, 11:35 PM
the aging Pastore:

redsmetz
09-13-2006, 11:56 PM
the aging Pastore:

Yeah he wasn't pretty tonight.

mth123
09-14-2006, 05:58 AM
We need to be careful evaluating a guy the first time around the league. Tonight was the first time he had pitched against a team the second time. I think Lohse is a legit major league starter if only because there aren't enough to go around. The real question is how much to pay to keep him. I think low ball with incentives is the right answer or let him walk.

RANDY IN INDY
09-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Frank had neck problems, late in his career, from watching all those shots flying into the outfield.

oneupper
09-14-2006, 09:00 AM
. I think Lohse is a legit major league starter if only because there aren't enough to go around. The real question is how much to pay to keep him. I think low ball with incentives is the right answer or let him walk.

With his ERA zooming after last night, Lohse just got a lot cheaper for the 2007 REDS.

Unassisted
09-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Since he got zero run support, it was an opportune time to find out his shortcomings. It's not like he cost the Reds this game.

redsmetz
09-14-2006, 10:00 AM
With his ERA zooming after last night, Lohse just got a lot cheaper for the 2007 REDS.

I thought this exact same thing just now.

flyer85
09-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah he wasn't pretty tonight.and yet Jerry sent him back out for the 3rd, I figured it was obvious to everyone by that point that he didn't have it.

Heath
09-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Frank had neck problems, late in his career, from watching all those shots flying into the outfield.

Frank in the offseason was an air-traffic controller.

That was a joke, ok?

redsfan4445
09-14-2006, 10:05 AM
his fastball was staying flat and he didnt have much dip in his slider.. he has pitched better than this and noway does he remind me of Pastore....just a bad outing at the wrong time.. i still feel he is a Red in 2007 as #4 starter as the Reds get a better pitcher in the off season for the rotation.. I am hoping Bedard is their target!

REDREAD
09-14-2006, 10:11 AM
We need to be careful evaluating a guy the first time around the league. Tonight was the first time he had pitched against a team the second time. I think Lohse is a legit major league starter if only because there aren't enough to go around. The real question is how much to pay to keep him. I think low ball with incentives is the right answer or let him walk.

I'm not sure lowballing him is an option. Isn't Boras his agent? I believe that is true. He made just shy of 4 million this year. The average arbitration raise (at least a few years ago) was 900k. I think we have to expect to probably give him a raise between 500-900k, just because of his seniority if we want to bring him back.

I bet Boras will drive a hard deal, even though Lohse has had a dissappointing season (when the Twins stats are included). As scarce as pitching is, Lohse might get more if he's a nontendered free agent than he would from arb, therefore I don't see Boras cutting the Reds any kind of deal.

mth123
09-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure lowballing him is an option. Isn't Boras his agent? I believe that is true. He made just shy of 4 million this year. The average arbitration raise (at least a few years ago) was 900k. I think we have to expect to probably give him a raise between 500-900k, just because of his seniority if we want to bring him back.

I bet Boras will drive a hard deal, even though Lohse has had a dissappointing season (when the Twins stats are included). As scarce as pitching is, Lohse might get more if he's a nontendered free agent than he would from arb, therefore I don't see Boras cutting the Reds any kind of deal.

I would try to sign him to about $3.3 to $3.5 Guaranteed with incentives to get him to $5.5 or $6. He won't make $5.5 to $6 on the market and if he hits the incentives he'll be worth it. If he doesn't agree to that by the Arb deadline then non-tender and find some one else to give the same deal to.

Falls City Beer
09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
I'll be upset if the Reds bring him back for anything more than middle reliever dollars.

mth123
09-14-2006, 09:10 PM
I'll be upset if the Reds bring him back for anything more than middle reliever dollars.

I'm kind of on that page, but they can't really cut him to less than 80% of this year's pay can they? I don't know how this rule applies exactly.

Will M
09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
1. Lohse or Milton , not both.

Harang
Arroyo
???
Lohse or Milton
EZ or Bailey

Find a guy ( via trade or free agency ) that can pitch 220 innings with an ERA under 4, then the Reds will have a solid rotation

2. comapre that to:

Harang
Arroyo
Lohse
Milton
EZ or Bailey

A Reds team with this rotation better be a LOT better offensively

- Will

gilpdawg
09-14-2006, 11:18 PM
When I opened this thread I thought Kyle Lohse became a right-wing radio talk show host. :) :devil: :wave:

For the unitiated, www.frankpastore.com will clear this thing up.

Heath
09-14-2006, 11:31 PM
When I opened this thread I thought Kyle Lohse became a right-wing radio talk show host. :) :devil: :wave:

For the unitiated, www.frankpastore.com will clear this thing up.

Frank Pastore in all his faults was a self-depreciating type of guy. Winner of the NL West clincher in '79. Gary Burbank's favorite answer.

redsupport
09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
beat the astros and joe niekro what a promising start only to go the way of scott scudder, jack armstrong and bruce berenyi