PDA

View Full Version : Wide Wacky World of MP3's

BoydsOfSummer
09-16-2006, 02:17 PM
All the cool kids seem to have one of those new-fangled ipod/mp3 player thingies. I've always wanted to be cool, so I'm buying one.

My question for those of you already in the loop, is, any suggestions on the best places to download stuff from. Also, any preferences on which player to buy. As of now I think I'm going with the Kingston K-PEX; it looks spiffy.

Unassisted
09-16-2006, 03:51 PM
No other online music store has the vast selection of Apple's store. Apple's store is only compatible with iPods.

If you're committed to using legitimate downloads, everything else lags way behind.

BoydsOfSummer
09-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not going to pay for the top of the line Ipod with video and stuff. So iTunes is prolly out.

CrackerJack
09-16-2006, 06:19 PM
I use Real.com's Rhapsody software/online service for listening/downloading.

There's a compatibility check you can do for your specific player and it's a small download. There's also Yahoo Music - which I didn't care for. Rhapsody's very intuitive and a stand alone application which I prefer.

Crash Davis
09-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I use Real.com's Rhapsody software/online service for listening/downloading.

There's a compatibility check you can do for your specific player and it's a small download. There's also Yahoo Music - which I didn't care for. Rhapsody's very intuitive and a stand alone application which I prefer.

I have used RealPlayer to organize my mp3's the past few years. It was free, and it's compatible with my mp3 player - the Dell mini Jukebox. I'm not crazy about it, but it's not terrible...and I'm too lazy to try something else.

Many of my mp3s have been ripped from CDs. I've purchased some from real.com's music store. A couple years back, I used Limewire to get some songs. But I took Limewire off my computer and stopped using them.

My mp3 downloading has really slowed to a trickle over the last 18 months or so. iTunes and real.com want .99 per song, and I think that's just an outrageous price. The peer2peer sites are illegal and have had major adware/spyware issues.

I've used allofmp3.com a little bit, but that is a bit of a sticky moral/legal situation as well. It's a Russian company that charges about .10 - .20 per song, and it's legal in Russia. It's legality in the U.S. is debatable. You're paying for the music, but they're doing it without the recording industry's approval.

Ltlabner
09-17-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm not going to pay for the top of the line Ipod with video and stuff. So iTunes is prolly out.

BOS,

At bestbuy.com you can pick up the 30G ipod w/video for only $250. If that is more than you want to pay, you can get a 4G nano for $200 or a 2G nano for $150.

Point is, they are not as drastically expensive as one might think.

That said, Creative makes some nice player (Zen, I think its called).

Right now there are a flood of options on the market to meet every need. Whichever direction you go in, one thing remains the same. Digital music is the way to go!

beb30
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
My reccomendation is wait before you get an Ipod and wait until you see microsoft's Zune which has a bigger screen yet about the same size. Plus you can send pictures and such to your computer/other people or what not. Then you have to steal songs.

Download limewire (person 2 person network so they cant track IP address) and steal every song that you can youll save $.99 per song which could end up saving you thousands.

STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

vaticanplum
09-21-2006, 05:33 PM

mp3 player aside, i-tunes is a great (and free) program to have on any computer. Very user-friendly and a lot of great features.

BoydsOfSummer
09-21-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm very familiar with LimeWire, just thought it wouldn't hurt to toss a lil cash their way from time to time.

I did down the ipod proggie. It is a useful prog and I plan to keep it for organizing my stuff if nothing else.

Roy Tucker
09-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Let me preface this with I don't own any MP3 players and all I know is what I've observed from my 18/16/13 yr. old kids.

But my son (the 18 yr. old) and his friends have started to shy away from hard-drive based MP3 players and have gone to flash drive players. They've found that after a couple years, they start having hard drive problems and their $300+ iPods die. Flash players have much smaller capacity (~1-2 GB) but no moving parts and MTBF is far greater.

So they keep their virtual jukeboxes (20-60 GB) on their PCs where there is ample opportunity for system recovery and backups. And then they use the flash drive MP3 players as cache devices and load a new ~500 songs every so often.

oneupper
09-22-2006, 10:10 AM
There are 4 ipods in the oneupper house. One 3G, one mini and two shuffles.

Here's my 2 cents.

1. Get an ipod. Everyone has them, so any neighbor's kid can help you operate and manage one. The other brands aren't that much cheaper to make it worth if for a novice.
2. Get the one for what YOU want to do with it.. If you want to carry it around get a lightweight nano or a shuffle. If you want to jog with it, definitely a shuffle.
For the car: an ipod (30 GB if all you have is music or a used 10 or 20 GB one). If you want video the 80 GB version. That way your entire music collection can go along with you on your road trips.

Also if you want it for the car, get a stereo mini cable (3.5 mm) and plug it into the aux input of your car radio/stereo. Get a car charger.
You can spend $300 for an "ipod ready" or "ipod compatible" player that gives you the readout on your dashboard, but IMO it's not worth it.

3. Be prepared to never want to go back to carrying CDs around.

zombielady
09-22-2006, 10:30 AM
My reccomendation is wait before you get an Ipod and wait until you see microsoft's Zune which has a bigger screen yet about the same size. Plus you can send pictures and such to your computer/other people or what not. Then you have to steal songs.

Download limewire (person 2 person network so they cant track IP address) and steal every song that you can youll save $.99 per song which could end up saving you thousands.

STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to be really careful with p2p programs like Limewire and Kazaa, because of viruses and spyware. Make sure you have good security programs before using these and make sure you get a good spyware program before you download the programs. In addition, 8 out of 10 times I got either the wrong song or a corrupted file. I ended up feeling that the 99 cents was worth not having to deal with the hassle.

beb30
09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
You have to be really careful with p2p programs like Limewire and Kazaa, because of viruses and spyware. Make sure you have good security programs before using these and make sure you get a good spyware program before you download the programs. In addition, 8 out of 10 times I got either the wrong song or a corrupted file. I ended up feeling that the 99 cents was worth not having to deal with the hassle.

All this is very true, however I'd say 8 out of 10 times i never have a problem getting the song/video or whatever of what i wanted. Of course I haven't downloaded anything from it for quite a few weeks now....

vaticanplum
09-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Here's my 2 cents.

1. Get an ipod. Everyone has them, so any neighbor's kid can help you operate and manage one. The other brands aren't that much cheaper to make it worth if for a novice.
2. Get the one for what YOU want to do with it.. If you want to carry it around get a lightweight nano or a shuffle. If you want to jog with it, definitely a shuffle.
For the car: an ipod (30 GB if all you have is music or a used 10 or 20 GB one). If you want video the 80 GB version. That way your entire music collection can go along with you on your road trips.

Also if you want it for the car, get a stereo mini cable (3.5 mm) and plug it into the aux input of your car radio/stereo. Get a car charger.
You can spend $300 for an "ipod ready" or "ipod compatible" player that gives you the readout on your dashboard, but IMO it's not worth it.

3. Be prepared to never want to go back to carrying CDs around.

I'm a big i-pod fan as well, but I highly recommend getting the warranty with it. Apple is so helpful if you have a warranty -- they'll more or less replace it, no questions asked. If your warranty has run out (the one that comes with the i-pod lasts a year I think), you're pretty much out of luck. The batteries on some versions are not even replaceable.

I personally would not recommend the shuffle either, as I think it only holds about a hundred songs and it just seems to me that you'd have to do a lot of deleting and adding songs all the time. The difference in price between that and the next step up is worth it to me, plus the new nanos are so lightweight that they're not much heavier than the shuffle.

My baby (mini) i-pod died not too long ago. I miss it horribly :( But I loved it so much...I know you said you're not a fan so this may all be moot, but I had to throw in my two cents about that.

IslandRed
09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
I bought a pair of iPod Shuffles a couple of months ago so the missus and I could have some tunes for workouts. I'm going ahead and paying the 99 cents -- I live around Nashville, and while I have no affection for the record labels, I like to take care of the artists and songwriters.

Allofmp3 was the least attractive solution, IMO. They're in Russia, and Russian "copyright law" amounts to "we're in Russia, what are you going to do about it?" As soon as I saw the Beatles tracks listed I knew it wasn't legit... Paying money for a song when none of it goes back to the people who created the music just makes no sense. If you're OK with pirating, be a pirate.

Red Leader
09-22-2006, 11:49 AM

Here's my question, and it may be a dumb one.

I have an iPod nano. My sister bought a used nano, exact same model I have. She didn't have a computer (hers crashed shortly before she bought the nano). She came over to my house to try and put songs on her nano. When she hooked it up to my PC, iTunes downloaded all of my songs onto her nano. We do not have the same taste in music. She has since bought a new PC and has deleted off all of the songs she didn't like that downloaded from my iTunes. I've recently thought about buying my wife a nano or a shuffle and my son is also wanting one for Christmas.

My question is, how do you keep them all seperated so what you want to dowload to one, won't download to another> What you buy for one, won't show up on another? What you delete from one, won't delete for another, or all? How would I hook up a new nano or shuffle on my PC and NOT have it download all of my songs over to the new iPod? Like I said, it might be easy and I just screwed something up when I plugged my sisters iPod in, but I've been leery of buying another iPod because I don't want it to screw up the stuff that I have setup for mine.

zombielady
09-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I want an ipod... :bang: I don't use anything on here for my music. I have folders, and I use media player. Works for me...

Dracodave
09-22-2006, 05:50 PM
BOS,

At bestbuy.com you can pick up the 30G ipod w/video for only $250. If that is more than you want to pay, you can get a 4G nano for $200 or a 2G nano for $150.

Point is, they are not as drastically expensive as one might think.

That said, Creative makes some nice player (Zen, I think its called).

Right now there are a flood of options on the market to meet every need. Whichever direction you go in, one thing remains the same. Digital music is the way to go!

I had two Creative Zen Micro's that constantly broke down, froze up and deleted all my songs. Just saying I had bad luck with it...

I traded it in for Store Credit at Best Buy and bought a ipod.

redsrule2500
09-22-2006, 06:12 PM
ipods are vastly overrated, i sold mine.

use torrent sites for full albums, or limewire for indiv. songs...

oneupper
09-22-2006, 06:34 PM
My baby (mini) i-pod died not too long ago. I miss it horribly :( But I loved it so much...I know you said you're not a fan so this may all be moot, but I had to throw in my two cents about that.

VP, what happened to your mini? If it was the battery, it's TOTALLY fixable. I replaced my daughter's and its not easy as repairs go, but doable. The kit cost me like $20.

oneupper
09-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Here's my question, and it may be a dumb one.

I have an iPod nano. My sister bought a used nano, exact same model I have. She didn't have a computer (hers crashed shortly before she bought the nano). She came over to my house to try and put songs on her nano. When she hooked it up to my PC, iTunes downloaded all of my songs onto her nano. We do not have the same taste in music. She has since bought a new PC and has deleted off all of the songs she didn't like that downloaded from my iTunes. I've recently thought about buying my wife a nano or a shuffle and my son is also wanting one for Christmas.

My question is, how do you keep them all seperated so what you want to dowload to one, won't download to another> What you buy for one, won't show up on another? What you delete from one, won't delete for another, or all? How would I hook up a new nano or shuffle on my PC and NOT have it download all of my songs over to the new iPod? Like I said, it might be easy and I just screwed something up when I plugged my sisters iPod in, but I've been leery of buying another iPod because I don't want it to screw up the stuff that I have setup for mine.

Good question. It can get messy. Here's what I know. First thing: multiple ipods for one PC works fine, but multiple PCs and one or several ipods...not so great.

That's because the songs, particularly the iTunes purchased ones are related to a PC (or Mac) and NOT to an iPod.

To make it more complicated each ipod is related to ONE computer. So if you plug it into a "foreign" computer, it will ask you if you want to erase all the songs on it and replace it with what is on the computer. ARGHH!

To avoid that, when you set up your ipods, set them to MANUAL and not automatic update. If they are already set up, you can change the setting from their "computer" or use a third party utility to switch (there's one called podtools, I haven't tried it).

In casa de oneupper...there are 4 computers (actually 5...I use 2). Everybody (wife, two kids) has their own iTunes library which they sync with their own ipods. We share music over our local network and we stream music to the living room sound system (for when we have company).

Music ripped from CDs are basically just files, so you can transfer them from computer to computer. I rip in MP3 format, not apple's AAC, so the songs can be played on non-ipod players. (Change that in iTunes preferences).

Downloaded tunes, not so easy. You can authorize your downloaded music to play on up to 5 computers, so all the music downloads are down from one account (mine), so we don't get confused. When you get a new comptuer...remember to "deauthorize" the old one so you don't use up those five.

To get around the "one computer, one ipod" problem, i recommend using a program called Senuti (iTunes backwards)...which basically allows you to transfer files FROM the ipod to the computer (not what apple intended), but also I believe switches off the automatic updating.
Senuti is freeware (google it, you'll find it).

I know this is long, the key of the post is the MANUAL update. If you want to do an 'automatic" update for one of the pods...switch to automatic (it will erase everything and put all the music from that library on it) and then switch back to manual.

Another important thing is to BACKUP your music. If you have multiplle computers, an external drive is good. Keep everyone's music there and it can also be good for sharing. (not expensive...get a cheap internal HD and an enclosure for it)

Hope this helped.

BoydsOfSummer
09-23-2006, 12:58 AM
The one I'm looking to buy is way cooler than your basic ipod. And to get the same features this sucker has in an ipod would cost me $300 plus. I'm not paying that kinda jack for one.

And it is a flash type. Thanks for all the info guys.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Kingston_1GB_K_PEX_100_Personal_Media_Player/q/loc/33409/202899987.html

Doc. Scott
09-23-2006, 01:20 AM
www.ilounge.com has reviews of pretty much any iPod accessory you can buy, plus links and explanations for how to do all sorts of things with your iPod.

Seconded on the "manual" update. Sure, you can't get around it being time consuming to organize a whole music collection (like the 500+ CDs that now reside on my 60GB iPod), but if I'd set things to "automatic update" it would make quite a sizable mess.

Anyone who wants an mp3 player but doesn't want a digitized music collection like the way I've done mine is advised to just get one of the small ones like the Nano or Shuffle. You have to know what you want to do ahead of time so you don't end up dropping cash on features and storage you might not need or use. It is definitely a time commitment if you think you want to try and rip all your CDs onto an mp3 player so you can sell the discs and clear things out.

Other than the thing weighing about the same as a cinder block (I missed the release of the Video model by weeks), my iPod Photo works pretty darn well. I've made sure to back up all 42GB of music it contains onto my hard drive using PodUtil (another program that does the same thing that Senuti, mentioned above, does). Other than needing to add another hard drive, I don't feel like one mistake will wipe out all that beloved music. That's all I really need.

oneupper
09-23-2006, 09:40 AM
The one I'm looking to buy is way cooler than your basic ipod. And to get the same features this sucker has in an ipod would cost me $300 plus. I'm not paying that kinda jack for one.

And it is a flash type. Thanks for all the info guys.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Kingston_1GB_K_PEX_100_Personal_Media_Player/q/loc/33409/202899987.html

Interesting choice. Nice price. Looks like you can add memory with a miniSD card and use said card to transfer files also.

Your iPod equivalent would be an iPod Nano which starts at $149 (albeit for 2 GB) so you will be paying quite a bit less.

Enjoy your first digital music player...it won't be your last. :)

vaticanplum
09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
VP, what happened to your mini? If it was the battery, it's TOTALLY fixable. I replaced my daughter's and its not easy as repairs go, but doable. The kit cost me like $20.

I'm not really sure whether it was the battery or whether a part got dislodged. The people at the Apple store looked at it, but they couldn't tell easily and since it was no longer under warranty they told me it wasn't worth it to try and that I should get a new one (which I can't afford right now...baby ipod was a gift). I confirmed this with a friend of mine who used to work at another apple store; they all told me that the battery isn't replaceable and that the "moveable parts" can't be replaced since minis are no longer made. I'd be very happy to spend 20 bucks to prove them all wrong. Where did you get this kit?

oneupper
09-23-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm not really sure whether it was the battery or whether a part got dislodged. The people at the Apple store looked at it, but they couldn't tell easily and since it was no longer under warranty they told me it wasn't worth it to try and that I should get a new one (which I can't afford right now...baby ipod was a gift). I confirmed this with a friend of mine who used to work at another apple store; they all told me that the battery isn't replaceable and that the "moveable parts" can't be replaced since minis are no longer made. I'd be very happy to spend 20 bucks to prove them all wrong. Where did you get this kit?

You're in luck...down to $9.99.

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=EC003

I did this myself, very tentatively, I must add...but I'm not the most handy person in the world...so if I can, I'm sure you can.

If you do it..please tell how it went.

OldRightHander
09-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Am I the last person on the face of the earth who doesn't own one of these portable players? I like to buy complete albums and listen to them all the way through instead of just grabbing indvidual songs and listening to them willy nilly. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

RosieRed
09-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Am I the last person on the face of the earth who doesn't own one of these portable players? I like to buy complete albums and listen to them all the way through instead of just grabbing indvidual songs and listening to them willy nilly. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I do both.

Most of the music on my iPod is entire albums. Maybe about 20-25 "individual" songs on there, but that's about it.

When I find entire albums I like, I tend to stick with them for a while.

oneupper
09-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Yes, you are. :D

zombielady
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM

We don't have one. We'd like to get one though. Of course, now that the husband has XM, he doesn't seem to talk about it so much anymore. I still want one.

bucksfan
09-26-2006, 12:26 AM

I prefer entire albums for the most part too, but I have jumped into the digital music world also. It's just too darn handy! I just use WMP (not Wily Mo Pena) to organize things on the PC and it works fine for me.

My player (Mobiblu cube 2GB) is definitely not for everyone however, but I love it and have had 100% positive experience with it. Plus I am kinda "gadgety".
http://www.mobibluamerica.com/dah1500_20060208.htm

The cube doesn't display pictures or anything like that, but it works well for what I wanted it for. As others have said, you just gotta choose what you think works for you. I knew I wouldn't want pictures/video (out of my 1st player anyway) so I narrowed my search quite a bit up front.

My wife has a San Disk Sansa 4GBwhich is really sweet and she loves it. I'd get that one again in a second also. Plus the battery is user replaceable and has great life.

My next step is linking up home stereo in some manner to take advantage of digital music storage on our PC.

Unassisted
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I've used allofmp3.com a little bit, but that is a bit of a sticky moral/legal situation as well. It's a Russian company that charges about .10 - .20 per song, and it's legal in Russia. It's legality in the U.S. is debatable. You're paying for the music, but they're doing it without the recording industry's approval.

Visa announced today (http://news.com.com/Visa+halts+service+for+allofmp3.com/2100-1027_3-6127168.html) that it will no longer process payments to allofmp3.com. Apparently they were getting heat from the RIAA about this. MasterCard and AmEx can't be far behind.

gilpdawg
10-28-2006, 11:10 PM
I do both.

Most of the music on my iPod is entire albums. Maybe about 20-25 "individual" songs on there, but that's about it.

Yep, me too. On a Savatage kick right now. "Streets" and "Wake of Magellan" were played today at work.

TylerScottDavis
10-31-2006, 08:05 AM
My wife has a San Disk Sansa 4GBwhich is really sweet and she loves it. I'd get that one again in a second also. Plus the battery is user replaceable and has great life.

Sweet, I always wondered which MP3 player you ended up getting your wife. Glad to hear you liked the San Disk, my wife still loves her 2GB version as well. I wish the 4GB version had been out when I got hers.

OldRightHander
10-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Another quick question regarding these. Some of you say that you put entire albums on them, so would it be correct to assume that I could easily put my CD collection on one for use away from home? That's the only way I could see myself using one.

oneupper
11-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Another quick question regarding these. Some of you say that you put entire albums on them, so would it be correct to assume that I could easily put my CD collection on one for use away from home? That's the only way I could see myself using one.

Absolutely. You "rip" your CDs to your computer and from there transfer to the mp3 device.
Most of the music on my iPod is of the "ripped" variety.

Red Leader
11-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Just to follow up on oneupper's post. You can "rip' entire albums. I do that a lot. On my iPod it usually takes 5-10 minutes to rip a regular length Cd into iTunes and then another 20-40 seconds to transfer over to my iPod. All in all, not bad considering the amount of information transferring.

Falls City Beer
11-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I do both.

I do both as well. I don't want to lose the particular enjoyment of listening to a collection of songs by an artist. The artist intends for an album to be listened to from start to finish, not scrambled and mixed in with other artists' works. Sometimes I like to follow what the artist is attempting to convey in his or her ordering of tracks.

SanDiegoRed
11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I have a Creative Zen Micro that love. It has 1200 songs on it hand chosen by me. I have one of those car thingy majingys that allows me to play my songs in my car so I put it on a loop and Voila! Kelvin Radio. I love it!