PDA

View Full Version : I hope Milton never comes back for the Reds

redsfan4445
09-18-2006, 05:38 AM
it really tells you he is not honest when it comes to his condition. this was in todays paper
"Milton said he felt the elbow stiffen while warming up, but when pitching coach Tom Hume and Narron asked him about it, he said he was OK."

lets see last year he said he was fine.. and hid a knee injury all year, and earlier this season did the same thing when his knee needed scoped. now again.. he lies again..

I hope he is gone.. he has to be the worse FA signing this team has ever had!!

mth123
09-18-2006, 05:50 AM
This sounds terrible, but the reds best hope with Milton is that he'll need TJ Surgery and they can collect insurance money. I don't think he can be traded. Insurance money would allow the reds to sign a reliable starter to replace him. I don't see removing him from the roster until mid-season any other way.

Big Daddy P
09-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Now this is a thread I can clamp my teeth on! Uncle Milty sucks out loud. He stinks on ice. Yeah, I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until he's pumping gas somewhere and banned from the GAP!

What a terd sandwich without the bread he is!

Unassisted
09-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Only way he gets traded is with cash for some other team's overpaid albatross. I predict that Wayne sticks with the known quantity and Milty will be back on the mound in a Reds uniform in '07.

RedLegSuperStar
09-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Well what I would do is shut him down for the remainder of the season and bring in Dumatrait. Reds arn't going anywhere and Dumatrait didn't pitch well down the stretch either but at least we can see what he can do at the Major League level and hopefully up his value come this offseason to add to a Jason LaRue package.

Back to Milton.. He will be back next season because he has a player option for 9+ million. I doubt he finds a better pay day than that. With that said it would be the last year of his contract and I think he would want to come out next year and dominate to up his value heading into Free Agency. Though it didn't work for Jimmy Haynes.. I hope it works for Milton or at least till the trade deadline...

Krusty
09-18-2006, 11:19 AM
The curse of Dan O'Brien still lives.

Chip R
09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
He'll be back next year but I think they are going to have to hook him up to a lie-detector machine anytime they ask him a question about how he feels or if he's healthy.

Kc61
09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
You all may be right that Milton will be back, but if Krivsky is 1/2 the GM he's supposed to be, he will explore every opportunity to trade this pitcher or buy out his option. Milton just doesn't fit in the Reds' stadium and his home stats confirm this.

There are only 5 starting pitchers on a team. Given Milton's numbers in 2005 and 06, it doesn't make sense for him to hold one of those spots. Not saying it is easy to deal with, but this is a critical issue for the Reds this off-season.

redsmetz
09-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Milton's contract does not have a player option for 2008. In fact, it gives Milton the option of opting out of the contract if certain incentives are reached. I can't find what those incentives are, but I doubt he has reached them and I doubt he would exercise that option now.

I think the earlier post has it right. The best case scenario is that Milton has surgery eliminating most of the 2007 season where the Reds can collect insurance on his salary (assuming, of course, that Dano had the sense to get such insurance - surely it's with Great American Insurance Co., right?). Sort of the 2007 Paul Wilson.

As for Milton not telling anyone, we've discussed this several times about pitchers toughing through something versus sitting down. Sometimes toughing it out is admirable, but not when you've just left your previous game elbow soreness, had a shot and are working on your usual rest. That's not tenacious, that was stupid. He should have spoken up and we should have had a bullpen day or bumped Lohse up.

mbgrayson
09-18-2006, 02:45 PM
The other option is for Milton to be traded. While I realize nobody is beating the door to make offers, maybe someone will take him if we take on part of his salary...

Milwaukee, for example. Uncle Milty has pitched very well at Miller Park. Five games started, 35 innings, 2.83 ERA, .77 WHIP, and 'only' 3 HRs allowed. If he could post those numbers in Miller Park (beyond the small sample size), maybe they would give us someone of value....plus our guys would get to hit off of him 3 or 4 times a year;)

Chip R
09-18-2006, 03:45 PM
I say we trade Milton to Washington for a PTBNL - which can be their lowest minor leaguer for all I care - and they have to pick up all his salary. In return, we drop the shenanigans charge against JimBo.

tomred
09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Why not trade Milton for Jenkins the Brewers get rid of Jenkins and he could help the outfield is in final year of his contract for 7 million so the Reds save 2 million plus get a guy in his final year who may have a big year in our home park

RedLegSuperStar
09-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Why not trade Milton for Jenkins the Brewers get rid of Jenkins and he could help the outfield is in final year of his contract for 7 million so the Reds save 2 million plus get a guy in his final year who may have a big year in our home park

I like that idea.. but for that to work i'm sure the Brewers would want us to take on some of Miltons contract plus all of Jenkins. None the less I like the idea... since Milwalkee soured on Jenkins this season and probably will be shopping him come the offseason. I bet they would want a prospect as well to seal the deal...

LincolnparkRed
09-18-2006, 05:28 PM
The curse of Dan O'Brien still lives.

But now think of the other pitchers around his $$ that off season

Clement - an awesome half season in 05 and never to be seen since May or so this year

Odalis Perez- possibly on his 3rd team, lost track once he went to the Royal for Elmer Dessens

Jaret Wright & Carl Pavano, neither has spent much time on the field in the last two years either.

None of these should make me feel better as a Reds fan but it just goes to show how out of whack things have become in these days of free agency when this collection of turds was the best of the class in the 2004 off season

mth123
09-18-2006, 07:25 PM

An Exchange of Bad contracts is an OK Idea if the guy we get back can upgrade a black hole on the roster. I like this idea, but if you get a corner OF then your are stuck with Griffey back in CF again. I'd rather have Milton on the mound 162 games per year than Griffey in CF for 50.

TOBTTReds
09-18-2006, 07:37 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43569

Same old same old. I wish I wasn't right!

Tom Servo
09-18-2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43569

Same old same old. I wish I wasn't right!
I honestly read through the whole first page of that thread this morning and before going to the 2nd page I thought it was refering to Sunday's game. :laugh:

redsupport
09-18-2006, 07:52 PM
this thread exclaims that Milton should not return. I agree. Where though should he go. To the old home for retired first inning gopher ball retreads. Or perhaps should he seek solace from the overpaid sucker free agency signings Hotel. (Don Stanhouse and Dave Goltz - proprietor). Perhaps he should place himself among the pantheon of notable red hurlers, left handed stalwarts whose lustrous performance has achieved notoriety over the years. For example, the great Joe Price, the vaunted Don Carmen, the redoubtable Pete Schoruek

RedFanAlways1966
09-18-2006, 10:01 PM
this thread exclaims that Milton should not return. I agree. Where though should he go.

Does Dan O'Brien have an extra bedroom at his place?!? :devil:

savafan
09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until he's pumping gas somewhere and banned from the GAP!

http://logotypes.designer.am/t/gap.png

Okay...

KronoRed
09-18-2006, 10:22 PM
He'll be out there next year, 36 starts and 10 million bucks.

zombielady
09-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Milton... the only name I don't mind seeing on the DL..

Jr's Boy
09-19-2006, 12:08 PM
The Dano karma still continues to rear it's ugly head with Milton.Man talk about a guy who did'nt have a clue.

GOREDSGO32
09-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Milton sucks so bad its ridiculous ... he should be released, I don't care if you are 'losing' money. Signing Milton is comparable to paying someone to put some novacaine in your gum to help the pain. Then it turns out you paid him to shoot you in the jaw with a gun. You already paid the guy, so do you just let him keep the money, or get your money's worth and let him go ahead and shoot you in the jaw? That's what its like to keep Milton. Most people expect that we should keep him just because he's going to get paid either way, thats the same thing. Why pay someone to hurt you? He's a sunk cost, drop him like a rock. He's more helpful to the Reds on the waiver wire than in the rotation.

klw
09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Some serious ugly venom on this thread. We have our whipping boy de jour.
http://www.storiesinart.com/images/notes2p6.JPG

Hoping a player is hurt and on the DL is sad. Milton has shown enough flashes this year that I am hopeful that he will be able to come back and have a solid first half as a 4/5 so that the Reds would either have a deeper rotation or move him at the deadline. Yes in hindsight he should not have gone out there but 1. at least he cared enough to go out and try to win and 2. the real problem is that the Reds did not have a better alternative that a questionably healthy Milton to throw.

redsupport
09-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I think he is an excellent number 6 starter

zombielady
09-19-2006, 03:51 PM

Hoping a player is hurt and on the DL is sad. Milton has shown enough flashes this year that I am hopeful that he will be able to come back and have a solid first half as a 4/5 so that the Reds would either have a deeper rotation or move him at the deadline. Yes in hindsight he should not have gone out there but 1. at least he cared enough to go out and try to win and 2. the real problem is that the Reds did not have a better alternative that a questionably healthy Milton to throw.

I don't hope he gets hurt, that's just mean. It's just a name I'd rather see on the DL than a line up. Just sayin'.

REDREAD
09-19-2006, 04:13 PM

Great idea, even if the Reds had to eat the salary difference. If Jenkins rebounded here (perhaps motivated by his pending free agency or change of scenery), his bat would be a big plus to us.

BRM
09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I think he is an excellent number 6 starter

:thumbup:

terminator
09-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Not a bad trade idea, but man am I tired of seeing guys strike out 150 times per season in our lineup.

Milton has been okay this year when not injured and he isn't going anywhere anyway, so I hope he comes back and has a 4.50 ERA next year and serves us as a decent #5 starter.

Falls City Beer
09-19-2006, 05:22 PM

I'd pay to beat Milton while wearing a tri-corn hat.

Falls City Beer
09-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I want Milton gone for the simple fact that the FO would be forced to actually do something about his spot in the rotation. I think right now Milton gives the FO a big fat $9 million excuse to sit on their arses and not improve the franchise.

BRM
09-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I want Milton gone for the simple fact that the FO would be forced to actually do something about his spot in the rotation. I think right now Milton gives the FO a big fat $9 million excuse to sit on their arses and not improve the franchise.

I will definitely have a very sick feeling in the pit of my stomach if Milton and Lohse are both part of the starting rotation next year.

Falls City Beer
09-19-2006, 05:59 PM
I will definitely have a very sick feeling in the pit of my stomach if Milton and Lohse are both part of the starting rotation next year.

I'll have more than a sick feeling; I'll give birth to a hate-baby.

zombielady
09-20-2006, 12:05 PM

I'll cry... Few things make me cry... apparantly baseball is the biggest.

15fan
09-20-2006, 12:12 PM
You know what would be cool?

If Eric Milton pitched for the Rockies.

I'd be fine if the Reds ate the entire 2007 year on Milton's contract and gave him to Colorado on the condition that they start him every 5 days for the entire season.

Then we could place bets on whether or not Milton would have the worst statistical year of any pitcher in the history of baseball.

savafan
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
I'll have more than a sick feeling; I'll give birth to a hate-baby.

Which you would then have to give to Boss and GIK. ;)