PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Predictions for Tonight

Dom Heffner
09-18-2006, 08:55 PM
1) All the calls are going to go their way. Always do.

2) Pittsburgh will fail on several long 3rd down conversions but will miraculously keep the drive alive with a penalty against the Jaguars.

There is nothing more painful than having them 3rd and 14 and the ref says "5 yard penalty...automatic first down...." Happened last week.

3) Byron Leftwich will throw to Polamalu's side of the field and wonder why he has 3 INTs before halftime. "Gee, coach, I didn't recognize him with all that hair flowing everywhere."

4) The score will be 10-7 in favor of one of these two offensive juggernauts with seconds to go but no matter who is on top, Pittsburgh will pull it out.

5) Ben Roethlisberger will not get sacked. He runs like your overweight uncle after 5 Beam and Cokes but professional NFL players can't ever seem to get to this guy.

6) One of the Pittsburgh Steelers will have a major injury tonight but will be back on the field next Sunday. Rumor has it that they have a guy on their staff that can do that Mr. Miyagi thing where he claps his hands together and rubs them like he's rolling clay.

7) They will still only have a decal on one side of the helmet (before I understood the concept of the homonym/phone, I thought it meant that someone "stole" it off the one side. And before that, I never noticed they only had one decal and used to think I git jipped whenever I bought one of those tiny plastic football helmets from the machine at our local K-Mart. Yes, I hated them from birth.)

I guess to summarize, the Steelers are going to win tonight because apparently no one can beat them.

:)

forfreelin04
09-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Guess again Dom

KronoRed
09-19-2006, 03:55 AM
Jags have to stay undefeated considering the other 2 NFL juggernauts in the state ;)

GAC
09-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Why do I get the impression that Dom doesn't like the Steelers? :lol:

RedFanAlways1966
09-19-2006, 08:04 AM
Shutout?!?!? Maybe it is time for Charlie Batch to take over the reins... they are undefeated with him as a starter this year. :devil:

RedsFan75
09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
What amazes me, is that EVERY "big" game, they always have an excuse ready...

How many times last year did we hear, before the game, something about Ben's thumb, or some other ailment...

Tonight, of course the appendectomy, which is valid and legit, but they were also talking up Ben had a fever and something else....

I'm sure that the Jags didn't beat them, Ben was sick.

(seriously, if he is running a fever after an apendectomy, shouldn't he be under a doctors care, that could be dangerous)

Blimpie
09-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Jags have to stay undefeated considering the other 2 NFL juggernauts in the state ;)Hey...was that a Dolphin blast? Why, I oughta.....:bash:

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 10:21 AM

How many times last year did we hear, before the game, something about Ben's thumb, or some other ailment...

Tonight, of course the appendectomy, which is valid and legit, but they were also talking up Ben had a fever and something else....

(seriously, if he is running a fever after an apendectomy, shouldn't he be under a doctors care, that could be dangerous)

I think that statement applies to the majority of fans of EVERY football team,
not just Steelers fans.

SteelSD
09-19-2006, 10:36 AM

I've yet to hear an excuse from a Steelers player or a fan for last night's loss.

Jacksonville played inspired defense and their offensive line did a great job protecting Leftwich. Pittsburgh receivers dropped a number of passes and Santonio Holmes, in particular, played like the rookie he is (Ben's first INT was actually Holmes running the wrong route). Pittsburgh whiffed on a number of first tackle opportunities. You whiff on a shifty bugger like Fred Taylor or one of those big receivers and they're going to take advantage.

Ben was consistently high with his passes or behind the receiver when they weren't dropping passes. But Pittsburgh needed to account for the potential rust factor with Ben and didn't; instead producing a vanilla gameplan that rarely tried to run Parker outside the tackles. And lastly, Pittsburgh simply failed to stop Jacksonville on a number of key third downs during clock-eating drives (regardless of whether they netted points). They lost the field position game and the time of possession game (badly) because of it.

As a Steelers fan, I had a bad feeling about that game about halfway through the 2nd quarter. The Jags were holding onto the ball for too long, Pitt was backed up too often, and the Jags defense was playing too well for anything but inspired offense to work. The Jags called a great game, made the plays, and Pitt did neither. Result= well deserved loss.

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 10:39 AM

I didn't see any excuses here either.

Check it out.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92492

Or this one.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92429

SteelSD
09-19-2006, 10:50 AM

Check it out.

Or this one.

Gah! Going to that site for intelligent Steelers chat is like visiting mlb.com for insightful Reds content.

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Gah! Going to that site for intelligent Steelers chat is like visiting mlb.com for insightful Reds content.

:laugh: Yeah, it's just one of four that I go to every day, I hardly ever post there but I saw a couple of threads pretty much void of any excuses about last nights game so I thought it was relevant.

dabvu2498
09-19-2006, 11:02 AM

Check it out.

Or this one.

Appearantly you didn't look here: http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92543

Or here:
http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92543

SteelSD
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
:laugh: Yeah, it's just one of four that I go to every day, I hardly ever post there but I saw a couple of threads pretty much void of any excuses about last nights game so I thought it was relevant.

My favorite post from the first thread:

OUR SUPERBOWLS TO YOURS!!--Dominated! WIN WHEN IT COUNTS WHOVILLE!

I kept reading; fully expecting to run into, "THE STEELERS RULZE! You're team is TEH SUCK you MORAN!!". Unfortunately, it looks like the kid's parents finally got him to bed.

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Appearantly you didn't look here: http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92543

Or here:
http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92543

No, apparently I did, I just didn't see any excuses. What I saw in that thread (you posted the same one twice btw) were a bunch of Steelers fans who are fed up with the recent run of bad luck of their favorite QB and, as sports fans do, taking out their frustrations of last nights loss on him. Not ONE post in that thread made an excuse for Pitt getting the loss last night.

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 11:19 AM
My favorite post from the first thread:

I kept reading; fully expecting to run into, "THE STEELERS RULZE! You're team is TEH SUCK you MORAN!!". Unfortunately, it looks like the kid's parents finally got him to bed.

:laugh: I noticed that one too, I prefer steelerfury.com and stillernation.com. The poster FC on steelerfury is a little rough around the edges sometimes, but his posts are usually must read material.

dabvu2498
09-19-2006, 11:25 AM
No, apparently I did, I just didn't see any excuses. What I saw in that thread (you posted the same one twice btw) were a bunch of Steelers fans who are fed up with the recent run of bad luck of their favorite QB and, as sports fans do, taking out their frustrations of last nights loss on him. Not ONE post in that thread made an excuse for Pitt getting the loss last night.

My fault. The other one I meant to reference was this one:

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92463

Which has amongst it this:

He was playing football 15 days after a surgery that usually requires 21-28 days before any major physical activity and he had a 104 degree temp. I hope there isn't an infection anywhere and he begins missing major amounts of time fighting off the infection. I just don't believe it was a smart idea giving him the start tonight and in hind sight I'm certain it wasn't, we lost anyhow.

It's more than just the appendectomy and the fever..........

he lost half his teeth, lost 20 pounds...was pretty much held out of preseason....he's still adjusting to a new body in alot of ways....

I had preseason...but when a guy undergoes severe physical change.....like roethlisberger did this summer...you've got to get him into live games to try and feel things out....i think the worry of injury in preseason might just haunt the team through halloween.....

that doesn't even take into account where his heads at...he's still a kid...and he doesn't really have anywhere to hide anymore.

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 11:33 AM
My fault. The other one I meant to reference was this one:

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?t=92463

Which has amongst it this:

I see what you're saying Dabvu, I just don't see any of the above as excuses. I see it as second guessing the decision to play Ben last night and concern for his health and future. If it were "WELL....WELL....IF BEN WASN'T RUNNING A FEVER, WE WOULD'VE DESTROYED THEM", trust me, I would have been in the thread myself telling them to shut up and end their little whining tea party. I didn't see any of that, so I guess we just have different opinions of what excuses are. The Jags have as strong front seven that you'll see in the NFL, they will be tough on everyone this year I think.

max venable
09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
6) One of the Pittsburgh Steelers will have a major injury tonight but will be back on the field next Sunday. Rumor has it that they have a guy on their staff that can do that Mr. Miyagi thing where he claps his hands together and rubs them like he's rolling clay.

:laugh: :laugh:

We need that guy in the Bengals lockerroom right now.

WMR
09-19-2006, 01:49 PM

I hope you're not including Ben's idiotic motorcycle escapades in his 'recent run of bad luck.'

traderumor
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
That picture of Roethlisberger they kept on showing during the game looked like a mugshot after a DUI. Of course, his only looked like one, whereas the Bengals actually have REAL mugshots. :evil:

WMR
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
The greasy mullet look doesn't do it for ya, TR? ;)

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 02:12 PM
I hope you're not including Ben's idiotic motorcycle escapades in his 'recent run of bad luck.'

What if I am? I was the first to admit that he was dumb for not wearing a helmet, but the fact still remains that it was a traffic ACCIDENT, it's not like he was pulling a Winslow, or even traveling at high speeds, HE was hit by another vehicle. Yes, I realize that accidents happen, but I absolutely am including that incident when I say "bad luck". If it had happened to Palmer, I bet most Bengals fan would too.

WMR
09-19-2006, 02:16 PM
What if I am? I was the first to admit that he was dumb for not wearing a helmet, but the fact still remains that it was a traffic ACCIDENT, it's not like he was pulling a Winslow, or even traveling at high speeds, HE was hit by another vehicle. Yes, I realize that accidents happen, but I absolutely am including that incident when I say "bad luck". If it had happened to Palmer, I bet most Bengals fan would too.

I honestly wouldn't. There are plenty of events that you have no control over, and truly are bad luck, such as the emergency appendectomy, fever, getting your leg sat on by a 320 lb. DT...

Having millions of dollars on the table, just waiting to be picked up and put in your pocket, and still deciding to get on a motorcycle takes you out of the 'bad luck excuse'-arena, IMO.

max venable
09-19-2006, 02:18 PM
http://images.break.com/static/break/images/benr5.jpg

traderumor
09-19-2006, 02:20 PM
http://images.break.com/static/break/images/benr5.jpg

Oh, so ESPN photoshopped that picture they were using last night ;)

RedsFan75
09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I just still don't understand how Cower had Ben in there last night. A fever after a surgery is nothing to sneeze at!

And I think the guy dabvu2498 quoted has it dead on! Big Ben shouldn't be playing full time yet. He's got to have some recovery time. I like Roth... Just wish he played for someone other than the Steelers! :devil: :evil:

KronoRed
09-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey...was that a Dolphin blast? Why, I oughta.....:bash:
Hey now...at least the Phins have more then 3 points in two games (Hi Tampa) :devil:

Matt700wlw
09-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I just still don't understand how Cower had Ben in there last night. A fever after a surgery is nothing to sneeze at!

And I think the guy dabvu2498 quoted has it dead on! Big Ben shouldn't be playing full time yet. He's got to have some recovery time. I like Roth... Just wish he played for someone other than the Steelers! :devil: :evil:

You're buying the fever crap?

If his fever was 104, as it was being reported...he'd have been in the hospital, ESPECIALLY coming off of surgery

He must be near-death every day...

Dom Heffner
09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
(Hi Tampa)

Strangely enough, there is no shortage of Tamp haters here (myself included).

Mnay people are not from here, so there is no connection. It was nice to see them win the Super Bowl, but other than that, they bore me to tears, just like Jacksonville does.

Anyone catch the comments las tnight about Leftwich saying the Jags defense has always beeen slow to get moving ever since he got there? And he doesn't know why?

Since the common denominator is him, well......

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
You're buying the fever crap?

If his fever was 104, as it was being reported...he'd have been in the hospital, ESPECIALLY coming off of surgery

He must be near-death every day...

ESPN got it wrong (surprise), it was actually 100.4 not 104. He probably shouldn't have played, and I said that before the game started, but he did, and, well...it wasn't pretty. As a Steelers fan I hope he rebounds next week.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2006, 07:21 PM
ESPN got it wrong (surprise), it was actually 100.4 not 104. He probably shouldn't have played, and I said that before the game started, but he did, and, well...it wasn't pretty. As a Steelers fan I hope he rebounds next week.

It shouldn't have even been news unless it's a reason he WASN'T playing...

WMR
09-19-2006, 07:24 PM

Bravo Matt!!

(seriously though, as if ESPN could ever pass up a storyline to ***** out for some more "DRAMA")

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 10:31 PM

You won't get an argument from me on that note. I didn't really want him playing before I even heard of the fever, it's just too soon from the appendectomy. It was a tough call I'm sure, I know Cowher didn't want him rusty for this coming Sunday being a big divisional game and a huge rivalry, on the other hand do you throw him out there and risk injury to the incision area from the surgery? They gambled...they lost....for now.

SteelSD
09-20-2006, 01:43 AM
You won't get an argument from me on that note. I didn't really want him playing before I even heard of the fever, it's just too soon from the appendectomy. It was a tough call I'm sure, I know Cowher didn't want him rusty for this coming Sunday being a big divisional game and a huge rivalry, on the other hand do you throw him out there and risk injury to the incision area from the surgery? They gambled...they lost....for now.

That's pretty much my take as well. I don't think an 80% Ben is any worse than a 100% Batch and I think Cowher needed Ben to chip the rust off as they'll need him for next Sunday for sure. Do I think the Steelers can take care of the Bengals after watching the Monday night game? No.

I think the Bengals came into this season with a huge chip on their collective shoulder and having a productive Carson Palmer back is a huge boost considering their overall offensive talent. If I were a Bengals fan, I'd be a little concerned about why Palmer needed to put up 40 passes during a game in which they had a commanding lead throughout. The defense is going to be the key yet again and the Bengals have done a good job of helping that squad even with the injuries.

My prediction?

Bengals 27
Steelers 17

As a Steelers fan, I hope I'm wrong, but the Steelers O-Line didn't protect very well and/or run block very well against the Jags. The Bengals haven't lost anything from their offense and the defense is playing much better and with the majority of that chip on their collective shoulder I referenced earlier.

IMHO, after watching the Jax game, the Steelers didn't do enough to impact their third-down offense or their short-yardage game to really keep up with what they did last season. If Pitt makes the playoffs, it'll be due to something unexpected.

RedsFan75
09-20-2006, 08:12 AM

True the fever became a story because of the media, and they are still talking it up today, seems they are making excuses for them, you are correct that no player is, but the media seems to be "whoring the drama" as Wily said

Do I think the Steelers can take care of the Bengals after watching the Monday night game? No.

My prediction?

Bengals 27
Steelers 17

As a Steelers fan, I hope I'm wrong,

I hope you're wrong too Steel.... I hope it's more along the lines of
Bengals 42
Steelers 0

:D :devil: :evil:

Tony Cloninger
09-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Steel.......i have been a Bengal fan since 1974......and even though this defense is improved and the Cincy offense is Top 3 in NFL......with the injury to Dexter jackson......i think will hurt that team badly.

You have Kevin K. playing for him.....and while he is not as horrible as Ohalati...he is not exactly Tommy Casanova or David Fulcher either.....more like Greg Myers.

Bengals also will have either a gimpy Levi Jones at LT or Steinbach at LT and a rookie at LG and a 2nd year guy at C.

I still think.....as these 2 teams are even (Bengals better offense....Steelers better defense...SP about even).....the Steelers still have it on them mentally and would not be surprised at a BR big recovery.

JAX defense is way more physical......and even they still had a hard time dragging BR down.
JAX rush defense is Grade A.....while the Bengals still have a tendency of missing their gaps and not tackling well (Kevin K. is a bad tackler)

I still see the Steelers winning this one.

BuckWoody
09-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I feel like I've entered some sort of bizarro-world where the Steelers fans are arguing that the Bengals will win and the Bengals fans are arguing that the Steelers will win. I fully expect a goatee-wearing Spock to walk into my cube and beat the snot out of me at any minute. :help:

forfreelin04
09-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I feel like I've entered some sort of bizarro-world where the Steelers fans are arguing that the Bengals will win and the Bengals fans are arguing that the Steelers will win. I fully expect a goatee-wearing Spock to walk into my cube and beat the snot out of me at any minute. :help:

Yeah no joke are we playing a game on who can be the most modest? I think the bengals win by 10 pts or two touchdowns. Why? I don't know. Everyone is talking about the Jags this and the Jags that. Maybe the Steelers are just worse then they were last year? Ben looked baaaaad last week. That wasn't rust that was something worse. Look for Cowher to try to come out throwing and not running to build Big Bens confidence. If he succeeds we might be in for a game if not look for Rudi to rush for a 100 and Carson to throw 3 TD's. Revenge? Nah, just karma

Tommyjohn25
09-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Revenge? Nah, just karma

:rolleyes:

Falls City Beer
09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I'll say 20-17 Steelers.

And I'm a fan of neither team.

MWM
09-24-2006, 11:18 AM
I think today is the day the Bengals defense is exposed as being about the same as last year. I think the Steelers rush for close to 200 yards and play old-fashioned ball control football.

deltachi8
09-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't believe in karma...

I don't believe in revenge...

I don't believe in Beatles...

I believe in better football teams winning games. The Bengals are a better team right this moment, they should win this game.

Dom Heffner
09-24-2006, 02:01 PM
The Bengals are a better team right this moment, they should win this game.

If this were true, Xavier should never have beaten UC when UC was a top rated team and they weren't.

With rivalries, you just throw it out.

The Steelers, as the home team, should more than make up for their lack of recent good play.

They looked bad against an awesome defense- just the week prior they looked splendid.