PDA

View Full Version : Do You Own A Pete Rose Autographed Item?

RedFanAlways1966
09-18-2006, 10:26 PM
With the recent story... it just made me wonder. No difference on when you bought/got it.

Me? I have an autographed picture of Pete and Bud Harrelson fighting in the 1973 NL Championship Series. Signed by both men. It was a gift from a very generous cousin who understands the REDS sickness that I have. Gave it to me about 4 years ago. Hangs in my den next to a framed poster of Bench and Pudge that was given in Texas when the REDS played the Rangers (Pudge had won his 10th gold glove the prev. year, same # as JB).... same cousin gave me that too (he lived in Dallas at the time).

Redhook
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm fortunate enough to have 3 items signed by Rose. I've met him twice, the first time at a junior baseball camp. It was great. The 3 items I have that were autographed by him (20 years ago) are:

1) My first ever glove
2) A 1985 Pete Rose Topps card
3) My uncle's Pete Rose scrapbook, which is awesome. My uncle is 50 now and Pete was his favorite player so this scrapbook has tons of 60's and 70's pictures and articles about Pete. Pretty sweet!

Red in Chicago
09-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Earlier this year, I was in Vegas and made a point of visiting Rose at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace. I got my picture taken with him while he signed a ball for me. (He also signed the photo) Yes, I paid for them, and would gladly do so again. Personally, I don't really care what he's done, I simply admire the ballplayer that he was. He is the reason I got into baseball, not just Cincinnati Reds baseball. It took me 40 years to get the chance to actually meet him. For a small price, I actually got to say hi, thank him for all the memories and exchange a few handshakes. Did it mean anything to him...certainly not...Did it mean something to me...absolutely!!

RFS62
09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
I've got baseballs signed by the whole team from 1965 and 1967. He's on both of those, back when they still signed them instead of stamping them. I got them at Crosley when I was a kid. Other than that, nothing.

BCubb2003
09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
A ticket to the Hall of Fame.

WVJulz
09-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Earlier this year, I was in Vegas and made a point of visiting Rose at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace. I got my picture taken with him while he signed a ball for me. (He also signed the photo) Yes, I paid for them, and would gladly do so again. Personally, I don't really care what he's done, I simply admire the ballplayer that he was. He is the reason I got into baseball, not just Cincinnati Reds baseball. It took me 40 years to get the chance to actually meet him. For a small price, I actually got to say hi, thank him for all the memories and exchange a few handshakes. Did it mean anything to him...certainly not...Did it mean something to me...absolutely!!
Hear hear!!!!! I think this was a wonderful post. Of course we are all disappointed in the fact that yes, Pete bet on baseball. Yes, Pete lied about betting on baseball and finally, Pete came clean about betting on baseball. Pete has been banned from baseball and the Hall of Fame. This is his cross to bear and regardless of whether or not he knew the consequences of his actions, I'm sure it kills him that he was caught and banned for life. I can't help but think of his quote of "I would walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball". If you don't want Pete Rose the MANAGER in the Hall of Fame, so be it, but Pete Rose the PLAYER not being in the Hall of Fame is an atrocity. He gave 110% on the baseball diamond he should be in the Hall of Fame. It made me so mad to hear Gaylord Perry say that Pete shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. I guess it's okay to get elected to the Hall of Fame even though everyone knew he doctored the ball. You can cheat, but don't gamble. Let's be fair. And by the way, I don't think I have ever heard anything about this, but did it ever come out that Pete bet on the Reds to lose?
And remember the All Century Team? Who got the most applause? What's that tell you? I think if it were up to the fans, he would be reinstated. To be able to manage again, no way. But to be eligble for the Hall of Fame, you betcha!
Julz

Patrick Bateman
09-19-2006, 12:09 AM
I had a chance this year. He was the celebrity speaker at an annual event here in Calgary. He refused to sign my card of him for free even though he was getting paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000 to be at the event. The card would be near worthless anyways because of the sheer amount of his autographs in the world, but I obviously wanted it for collecting purposes. In my view, when you are getting paid $35,000 to be at an event, you sign autographs for anyone who wants one (especially one of the very few Reds fans actually at the event).

RedsBaron
09-19-2006, 06:29 AM
I have a 1969 scorecard from a Reds game that was signed by Rose, Bench, Perez and a few other Reds. That was back in the day when players, especially Rose, freely signed autographs before the game.

SunDeck
09-19-2006, 07:13 AM
1972- I got a "charlie hustle" trophy. We took it to an event he was at and he signed it. For free, of course. You didn't pay for an autograph back then.

MrCinatit
09-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I have one of his cards from the 1960s, but I honestly cannot remember which one.

terminator
09-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, on the back of a media guide from when he was managing. I was leaving the "Meet the Reds" luncheon and he was in back of the hotel waiting on a taxi. I asked him for his autograph and he was extremely nice. A real thrill for a young kid like me.

I have his and most of his team's autographs on that media guide.

RANDY IN INDY
09-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Autographed black and white picture. My Aunt and Grandma drove me to Ashland, KY to get it at an appearance Pete was making at a department store. (I think they wanted to go there to shop and it was a good excuse to drive there from Huntington.;)) It was free and he actually looked up and asked me what my name was before signing it, "Randy, Best wishes, Pete Rose." He didn't do that for everyone.

zombielady
09-19-2006, 09:18 AM
It was a baseball (also signed by the rest of the Big Red Machine) given to me by a family friend. I regifted it. Pete Rose made me cry when I asked him for his autograph in '88. Jerk. :cry:

minus5
09-19-2006, 09:44 AM
I have Pete's autograph on a baseball from the '88 All Star game.

mbgrayson
09-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a 1974 program that Pete signed for me after a game. He was very nice to sign in the players parking area after a game. (See my avatar)

It makes me sad to hear about how bitter it seems Pete is since he was caught gambling on baseball and banned. This man lived and breathed baseball. There could be no worse punishment for Rose than his lifetime ban.

SunDeck
09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
My uncle has a pretty good piece of BRM memorabilia- a foul ball he caught in 1976, autographed by every member of the BRM.
My dad gave the ball to Jack Billingham, who lived by us and about two months later, he stopped by the house with it. Over the space of eight weeks he actually took the ball to each guy and got him to sign it.

Wonder if your average MLB player would do that these days?

Blimpie
09-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I was with a group of people who got to meet Pete one night in his Boca Raton, FL restaurant after he finished up his radio show. He bombarded us with all sorts of autographed swag like: menus, cups, etc...

I believe I still have the stuff in a shoebox somewhere if anybody is interested.

bounty37h
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
I have 13 different balls, each sigend by a member of the BRM era, includingthe great 8, which of course included Rose. I also have a jersey, bat, and replica helmet signed. Obviously I collect Reds autos :) He was very friendly the time I met him, and signed away. Sadly, I grew up idolizing Johnny Bench, and every chance i have had to meet him, he has denied my request, and done so kind of rudely. I have his auto, but had to buy it.

dabvu2498
09-19-2006, 10:53 AM
My dad got me a ball at an event he was at in the late 70s. I got a signed 1975 Topps card while at spring training in about 87. I also got a signed program by Pete and Bob Huggins from a corporate golf outing at Shaker Run GC a few years ago. At that outing I found myself at a urinal next to Mr. Rose.

steig
09-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I have a large, signed, photo of Pete sliding head first into home at Wrigley Field.

BuckWoody
09-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I have a ball signed by Pete that I got as a Christmas gift several years back. This last Christmas, my brother-in-law got me a picture of Pete and Tony both sitting on the john and peeking out between the dividers. It's signed by both of them. It will take up residence in my rec room bathroom...as soon as I get one.

zombielady
09-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I have 13 different balls, each sigend by a member of the BRM era, includingthe great 8, which of course included Rose. I also have a jersey, bat, and replica helmet signed. Obviously I collect Reds autos :) He was very friendly the time I met him, and signed away. Sadly, I grew up idolizing Johnny Bench, and every chance i have had to meet him, he has denied my request, and done so kind of rudely. I have his auto, but had to buy it.

My experience is the opposite! I grew up with big love for Rose, and when I approached him to tell him so, he told me if I wasn't there to buy an autograph to get lost (thus the aforementioned Pete induced cry fest :runawaycr )... where as, I have met Bench a couple of times, and he was absolutely wonderful every time...

Red Leader
09-19-2006, 01:49 PM
I got his autograph when I was 13 years old (1985).

Got it for free. Him and his wife were sitting at the table next to us at Latonia Racetrack (now Turfway Park).

Honestly.

crazybob60
09-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I have his autograph on the Faces of Riverfront poster (had to pay for that)

I have it on his book that he just wrote where he admitted he bet on baseball (didn't pay for that.)

I have several index cards with his autograph that are from back in the late 60's and early 70's from when my uncle got them. He gave a few to me and says Pete would sign autos all night if need be.

I believe I also have an 8 by 10 picture in a frame of Pete signed but that is put up in a box somewhere. I have over 30 of those that I got when I was a youngin' and just put them in the box over the years due to moving so much.

shredda2000
09-19-2006, 04:26 PM
I have an 8 X 10 of hit #4192. I met Pete Rose at a local car dealership (Tag Galyean sp?)in the late 80's ('87 or '88 maybe).

He was not in a good mood that day. He would not sign baseballs, only photos. Later I heard a rumor (not confirmed) that he wrecked his Ferrari while in town.

Some people...

Boston Red
09-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Are there really people still willing to pay for autographs from that sorry POS?

Red Leader
09-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Are there really people still willing to pay for autographs from that sorry POS?

It appears there are at least 3.

bounty37h
09-20-2006, 04:59 PM

Ever looked at EBAY?

bounty37h
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
My experience is the opposite! I grew up with big love for Rose, and when I approached him to tell him so, he told me if I wasn't there to buy an autograph to get lost (thus the aforementioned Pete induced cry fest :runawaycr )... where as, I have met Bench a couple of times, and he was absolutely wonderful every time...

I hate to hear we both got shot down by our heroes, only to have the opposite guy being the nice one. I asked Bench a few years back at a charity golf tournament, very nicely asked at that, and he was rude. My girlfriend was with me, and said I looked like a kid who was just told Santa doesn't exist....
I met him as a kid at his HOF induction, and asked, and was quickly turned down to the effect of "kid, you probably dont even know who I am", even though I idolozed him, and my dad drove me from NC to NY to see his HOF induction.

zombielady
09-20-2006, 09:43 PM
I hate to hear we both got shot down by our heroes, only to have the opposite guy being the nice one. I asked Bench a few years back at a charity golf tournament, very nicely asked at that, and he was rude. My girlfriend was with me, and said I looked like a kid who was just told Santa doesn't exist....
I met him as a kid at his HOF induction, and asked, and was quickly turned down to the effect of "kid, you probably dont even know who I am", even though I idolozed him, and my dad drove me from NC to NY to see his HOF induction.

I also met Johnny through a mutual family friend, so I might have had an advantage... I was 13 when I met Pete Rose, and in the middle of a rough summer. My parent's friend took me to a signing to give me a little boost, and he was even going to buy me an autograph, but he when he talked to me like that... I just walked away in tears. I then went home and threw away all of my baseball cards, gave my stepdad the autographed ball that I had gotten earlier that x-mas from the same family friend, and didn't even watch MLB for like 15 years...

Blimpie
09-20-2006, 10:10 PM
I met him as a kid at his HOF induction, and asked, and was quickly turned down to the effect of "kid, you probably dont even know who I am", even though I idolozed him, and my dad drove me from NC to NY to see his HOF induction.I also met Bench at a celebrity golf tourney and had an identical experience. I asked him politely to sign an index card for me and he responded that he "would not be signing any memorabilia." I responded, "An index card...is memorabilia?" "It sure is..." Bench responded. Who knew? :fineprint

When I told him it was all I had for him to sign, he flipped it over and scribbled a sloppy signature on the 'lined' side of the index card. I thought that it was odd for him to do that until a friend of mine informed me that by Bench signing on the 'lined' side of the card...the value of his signature would be diminished by 10%.

Math Question: What's 10% of bupkus?

bounty37h
09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
^wow, I have gotten that same response from him as well about not signing memorabilia, for an index card. Funny thing was, he was playing in a foursome with Marshal Faulk, and when I asked Marshal to sign the index card, right after Bench had turned it down as memorablia, Marshall responded he doesnt sign blank cards, only memorablia....

BoydsOfSummer
09-21-2006, 10:58 PM
I have close to 100 autographed items. All signed while I watched or someone I trust watched. I have none of Pete which is hard to believe. Anyone like to donate?