PDA

View Full Version : 07 Roster,how I would like to see it!!!

fewfirstchoice
09-20-2006, 01:17 AM
First off Im going to give you my roster ,then explain all the moves that can make it happen.

Starting lineup
1)Freel 2B
2)Phillips SS
3)Hunter CF
4)Lee LF
5)Griffey RF
6)E.E. 3B
7)Hatteberg 1B
8)Ross C

Bench
Castro UI
Olmedo(spelling)UI
Hopper UO
Hollinsworth UO
Valentin BC

Starting Pitchers
1)Harang
2)Arroyo
3)Lilly
4)Padilla
5)Loshe

Bullpen
Weathers
Majewski(spelling)
Reitsma(spelling)
Bray
Cormier
Schoenwise
Wickman

Thats would be my ideal roster for the start of the 07 season.It would give the Reds Speed at the top of the order,and power in the middle.We would have run producers and run scorers from top to bottom.The Reds would have a pretty solid rotation and bullpen.The bench has both veterans and young players who can produce when called upon.I know it means we get rid of some talent but the team looks better to me with this 07 roster than the 06 roster.

Now how to make it happen trade Dunn and get rid of his 11 million to the payroll.Trade Larue and pay about 2 million of his 07 salary,3.2 mil is cheap for a good back stop.Trade Milton and pay 4 mil of his salary as well.We could trade these guys for prospects abd use the money on teh FA market.If they can pull these moves off it will give them around 18-19 million to spend,but also add the probably 15-20 milllion(remember BOB said they just wanted to break even so speed it all)the Reds will get from the TV deal.So that should give the Reds around 36-38 million to spend this off season.

I say take about 12 mil for 4 years and get Lee to play LF.I know not much better if any at all than Dunn in the oufield.But Lee hits for higher average,knocks in more runs,and will hit about 40 homers a year in GABP.

Then take about 10 mil for 3 years and get Hunter.This will give us much needed CF play and give us a very solid bat in middle of the order.

Then sign Padilla and Lilly to 6 mil for 3 years a piece to sure up the rotation.Add Wickman at 1 year for 4 million and you have yourself a ball club.The other pieces you can sign on the money we will save from Wilsons contract and couple more of our older guys contracts who retire like Merker.This roster may be a stretch but I believe with the money we could save on possible trades and the TV money the Reds and Wayne can make it happen thanks.

redlegs7089
09-20-2006, 01:23 AM
yea i think your smoking somethn

fewfirstchoice
09-20-2006, 01:37 AM
I think it could happen if you disagree please explain.Im not saying that it will go exeactly as I laid it out but I think the roster could look something like I have typed out.The money will be there,the only thing I may see some will disagree on or throw a snag in my roster is Dunn.Wayne and others may not want to trade him but I believe the Reds will be a better team Dunn less.

redsfan4445
09-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Lilly already stated he wants to play for the Giants. Also I dont want Lee as he hasnt hit much since moved to Texas and he is a lousy outfielder and who do we get in return for Dunn? Prospects??? NO THANKS!(you dont include any players in a Dunn deal)

mth123
09-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Lilly already stated he wants to play for the Giants. Also I dont want Lee as he hasnt hit much since moved to Texas and he is a lousy outfielder and who do we get in return for Dunn? Prospects??? NO THANKS!(you dont include any players in a Dunn deal)

Unless the players are Milton or Larue and the Payflex helps sign whichever stud (who really isn't available this year) that you want. Honestly, If Dunn is traded, Lee may be the only FA option this year to replace his production and, like you, I think its a downgrade for age reasons alone. Need a huge haul to trade Dunn.

RedLegSuperStar
09-20-2006, 08:33 AM
I'll play...

C: David Ross
1B: Scott Hatteberg
2B: Luis Castillo
SS: Brandon Phillips
3B: Edwin Encarnacion
RF: Ryan Freel
CF: Vernon Wells
LF: Ken Griffey Jr.

C: Javy Valentin
1B: Joey Votto
2B/SS: Rich Aurilia
OF: Jose Guillen
OF: Chris Denorfia

1: Mike Mussina
2: Aaron Harang
3: Bronson Arroyo
4: Ted Lilly/Adam Eaton
5: Eric Milton

LR: Brandon Claussen
LR: Kyle Lohse
MR: Gary Majewski
MR: Bill Bray
SU: Todd Coffey
CP: Keith Folke

We trade Adam Dunn, mid level pitching prospect, and a low level prospect to Toronto for Vernon Wells. Trade Jason LaRue for a PTBN later to Detroit.

Use the money from the Dunn, Kearns, Lopez, and Larue trades.. plus the TV deal and hopefully annual revenue/owners intrest in team winning and sign an Ace, Wells to a long term contract (part of the deal), 2nd baseman, Closer, Mid Rotation guy. With this team and lineup/rotation this team has to be favorites in the Central.

Also I would if your going to keep Narron.. sign a batting coach, sign a pitching coach, and higher a better medical staff.

Highlifeman21
09-20-2006, 10:55 AM
First off Im going to give you my roster ,then explain all the moves that can make it happen.

Starting lineup
1)Freel 2B
2)Phillips SS
3)Hunter CF
4)Lee LF
5)Griffey RF
6)E.E. 3B
7)Hatteberg 1B
8)Ross C

Bench
Castro UI
Olmedo(spelling)UI
Hopper UO
Hollinsworth UO
Valentin BC

Starting Pitchers
1)Harang
2)Arroyo
3)Lilly
4)Padilla
5)Loshe

Bullpen
Weathers
Majewski(spelling)
Reitsma(spelling)
Bray
Cormier
Schoenwise
Wickman

Thats would be my ideal roster for the start of the 07 season.It would give the Reds Speed at the top of the order,and power in the middle.We would have run producers and run scorers from top to bottom.The Reds would have a pretty solid rotation and bullpen.The bench has both veterans and young players who can produce when called upon.I know it means we get rid of some talent but the team looks better to me with this 07 roster than the 06 roster.

Now how to make it happen trade Dunn and get rid of his 11 million to the payroll.Trade Larue and pay about 2 million of his 07 salary,3.2 mil is cheap for a good back stop.Trade Milton and pay 4 mil of his salary as well.We could trade these guys for prospects abd use the money on teh FA market.If they can pull these moves off it will give them around 18-19 million to spend,but also add the probably 15-20 milllion(remember BOB said they just wanted to break even so speed it all)the Reds will get from the TV deal.So that should give the Reds around 36-38 million to spend this off season.

I say take about 12 mil for 4 years and get Lee to play LF.I know not much better if any at all than Dunn in the oufield.But Lee hits for higher average,knocks in more runs,and will hit about 40 homers a year in GABP.

Then take about 10 mil for 3 years and get Hunter.This will give us much needed CF play and give us a very solid bat in middle of the order.

Then sign Padilla and Lilly to 6 mil for 3 years a piece to sure up the rotation.Add Wickman at 1 year for 4 million and you have yourself a ball club.The other pieces you can sign on the money we will save from Wilsons contract and couple more of our older guys contracts who retire like Merker.This roster may be a stretch but I believe with the money we could save on possible trades and the TV money the Reds and Wayne can make it happen thanks.

Wow. Where to start?

Let's do this player by player, shall we?

Freel @ 2B. Ok, I can accept that. Freel's not an everyday player, and his production will decrease over the course of a full season playing everyday, but based on our options at 2B, I will concede this one.

Phillips @ SS. Great move. I'm on board here. Too bad we won't see it. Oh, to dream.

Hunter in CF. Many have said this is a bad fit for us, and I agree with that camp. Hunter's D is declining with his age, and the man is an out-making machine. He's not much better than Griffey, who in all reality will be our starting CF in 2007. So, I respectively disagree with Hunter.

Lee in LF. No way in a million years do you go after this guy. His production pales in comparison to what we currently have in LF, so if you're trading Dunn, you better get something great in return, and skipping ahead and glancing at your reasoning for moving Dunn, you essentially listed a payroll dump. To label Dunn as a payroll dump for the Reds in 2007 is basically saying that Charles Manson was a great humanitarian, and is a model citizen. So yeah, we need Carlos Lee in LF instead of Adam Dunn about as much as I need a hole in my head. Worst option in your proposed lineup.

Griffey in RF. While I agree that Griffey shouldn't be in CF, he will be. Unfortunately, we all need to accept this, me included. Personally, I'd like to see Griffey moved to the AL for something of value, but with his 10/5, it won't happen in any of our lifetimes. So, we'll list this one as moot.

EE @ 3B. This is a no brainer. We need to keep this kid and build around him. I welcome anyone to offer reasons contrary to that belief.

Hatteberg @ 1B. While Scott has experienced a rebirth this year for the Reds, don't expect him to continue those numbers going forward. Next year, he should be a guy that's a LHBPH first off the bench, or maybe in a platoon situation @ 1B at most. Dunn should be our everyday 1B in 2007, but I don't think we'll see this happen in our lifetimes either. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Hatteberg as our mostly everyday 1B in 2006, but I think we need to explore other options for the future.

Ross @ C. Hopefully he'll continue to produce, but history has a chance of predicting the future, and I don't honestly foresee him having success. That being said, I like him more than Valentin or LaRue, as a cost analysis basis. He's cheaper, so keep him. We won't get better numbers for better value outside of Ross. Good choice @ C.

The Bench....

Denorfia should be our everyday CF in 2007, but my favorite phrase "not in our lifetime" applies for him as well.

Valentin, Hollandsworth and Castro are good options off the bench only. The rest of those, Hopper and Olmedo, send em packing. They have no future and no value with our ballclub.

Starting Pitching....

Harang and Arroyo should remain constants for us, and if we can get Lohse cheaper, then I wouldn't mind him as a back of the rotation guy. Padilla and Lilly? This is essentially what we're getting by moving Dunn, in your perfect world? Come on. I just shake my head at this. Padilla and Lilly. No thanks.

Bullpen...

You offer some very interesting options here, and I'm on board with all of them except Bob Wickman. We had Todd Jones, we don't need a second helping of him, in the shape of Bob Wickman. Curiously enough, Wickman and Reitsma both play for the Braves, so are we sending Dunn to them to get those two diamonds in the rough? God I hope not.

I applaud your effort/attempt, but your "ideal" lineup makes us a horrendously bad team. And not bad in the good way.

Krusty
09-20-2006, 11:16 AM
The Reds best defensive lineup would have Griffey in RF and Freel/Denorfia playing in CF.

As mentioned before, I think either Dunn or Griffey will be dealt by Krivsky.

BigREDSfaninKY
09-20-2006, 11:21 AM
yeah, who wants a guy in Carlos Lee that only hits around .300 averages 32 homers a year and drives in 100 runs, plus K's less than 100 times a year. When we already have a guy who can hit .240 with 40 plus homers a year, drives in 90 runs and K's around 200 times a year.

Highlifeman21
09-20-2006, 11:49 AM
yeah, who wants a guy in Carlos Lee that only hits around .300 averages 32 homers a year and drives in 100 runs, plus K's less than 100 times a year. When we already have a guy who can hit .240 with 40 plus homers a year, drives in 90 runs and K's around 200 times a year.

Averages .300 a year? 32 homers a year? Sure about that?

Career Averages

Player R/162 H/162 HR/162 TB/162 RBI/162 AVG/162 OBP/162 SLG/162 OPS/162
Carlos Lee 97 176 30 304 105 .286 .340 .494 .834
Adam Dunn 103 138 40 289 93 .247 .380 .517 .897

Lee has an advantage in H/162, TB/162 (only b/c he has more H/162), RBI/162 and AVG/162. Dunn trumps him in all the other categories, specifically the one that matters the most: OPS/162.

Give me Adam Dunn over Carlos Lee in a landslide.

b-gizz
09-20-2006, 11:50 AM

Starting lineup
1)Freel 2B
2)Phillips SS
3)Hunter CF
4)Lee LF
5)Griffey RF
6)E.E. 3B
7)Hatteberg 1B
8)Ross C

Bench
Castro UI
Olmedo(spelling)UI
Hopper UO
Hollinsworth UO
Valentin BC

Starting Pitchers
1)Harang
2)Arroyo
3)Lilly
4)Padilla
5)Loshe

Bullpen
Weathers
Majewski(spelling)
Reitsma(spelling)
Bray
Cormier
Schoenwise
Wickman

There is no way that you will get Carlos Lee for 4 years and 12 million. Nor will you get Torri Hunter for 3 years 10 million. Last but not least you will not be able to sign Padilla and Lilly for 3 years at 6 million dollars a piece. It took Cincy around 25 million to sign Milton for 3 years. The dollars in your scenario are undervalued.

RedLegSuperStar
09-20-2006, 12:10 PM
There is no way that you will get Carlos Lee for 4 years and 12 million. Nor will you get Torri Hunter for 3 years 10 million. Last but not least you will not be able to sign Padilla and Lilly for 3 years at 6 million dollars a piece. It took Cincy around 25 million to sign Milton for 3 years. The dollars in your scenario are undervalued.

agreed.

it would take 10-12 mil a year for Lee, 7-8 mil a year for Hunter, Lilly and Padilla would look for offers around 6 mil a year (maybe higher considering Schmidt, Zito, Mussina, etc will command top dollar which may drive the price up).

ThatPitchIsDunn
09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I'll play...

C: David Ross
1B: Scott Hatteberg
2B: Luis Castillo
SS: Brandon Phillips
3B: Edwin Encarnacion
RF: Ryan Freel
CF: Vernon Wells
LF: Ken Griffey Jr.

C: Javy Valentin
1B: Joey Votto
2B/SS: Rich Aurilia
OF: Jose Guillen
OF: Chris Denorfia

1: Mike Mussina
2: Aaron Harang
3: Bronson Arroyo
4: Ted Lilly/Adam Eaton
5: Eric Milton

LR: Brandon Claussen
LR: Kyle Lohse
MR: Gary Majewski
MR: Bill Bray
SU: Todd Coffey
CP: Keith Folke

We trade Adam Dunn, mid level pitching prospect, and a low level prospect to Toronto for Vernon Wells. Trade Jason LaRue for a PTBN later to Detroit.

Use the money from the Dunn, Kearns, Lopez, and Larue trades.. plus the TV deal and hopefully annual revenue/owners intrest in team winning and sign an Ace, Wells to a long term contract (part of the deal), 2nd baseman, Closer, Mid Rotation guy. With this team and lineup/rotation this team has to be favorites in the Central.

Also I would if your going to keep Narron.. sign a batting coach, sign a pitching coach, and higher a better medical staff.

I dig most of the ideas, but isn't Moose going to be like 38? He's a good pitcher, albeit in a less than friendly hitter's park, but if he's making 19 mil right now with the Yanks, why would he look much lower? Someone with cash to burn will throw something ridiculous like 12-14 mil at him and I think that puts us out of the hunt with all we need to go after.

Lilly I like; I think a move to the NL could have a Lohse-like impact, but even better. Castillo helps the B-Phil move to short and we'd be REALLY solid up the middle with Castillo, Phillips and Wells.

Guillen would also be a wild card I'm not sure I'd want to cash in on. Sure, he can produce offensively, but is that worth the headache/press headlines he'll probably give the second he thinks he's getting played too little behind Ryan Freel?

I've looked over free agents and trade possibilities time and time again, and there's no big time ace to be had that we can afford, unless they pull the trigger on Schmidt. So we might as well solidify the D a little more to help the marginal pitchers it looks like we're throwing out there. Wells and Castillo help that.

RedLegSuperStar
09-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I dig most of the ideas, but isn't Moose going to be like 38? He's a good pitcher, albeit in a less than friendly hitter's park, but if he's making 19 mil right now with the Yanks, why would he look much lower? Someone with cash to burn will throw something ridiculous like 12-14 mil at him and I think that puts us out of the hunt with all we need to go after.

Lilly I like; I think a move to the NL could have a Lohse-like impact, but even better. Castillo helps the B-Phil move to short and we'd be REALLY solid up the middle with Castillo, Phillips and Wells.

Guillen would also be a wild card I'm not sure I'd want to cash in on. Sure, he can produce offensively, but is that worth the headache/press headlines he'll probably give the second he thinks he's getting played too little behind Ryan Freel?

I've looked over free agents and trade possibilities time and time again, and there's no big time ace to be had that we can afford, unless they pull the trigger on Schmidt. So we might as well solidify the D a little more to help the marginal pitchers it looks like we're throwing out there. Wells and Castillo help that.

I figured Schmidt would go to Seattle, Zito would either stay in the West Coast or New York, and Matsuzka would be great.. just don't think we could compete with New York, LA, Seattle, or Boston. Moose wasn't my first choice but would be maybe the best out of the pack...

fewfirstchoice
09-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Thats what I was trying to say about Lee and Hunter.Give Hunter a deal of 3 years at 10 mil a year,and Lee a deal of 4 years at 12 mil a year.I Have enough common-sense to know your not going to get each of them here for just 3 mil a year a piece.

Also I think that Avg.,Hits,and RBI's are a little more important than OBP.I believe you stick Dunn and Lee both at GABP and Lee would have just as many homers as Dunn and his slug% will be just as high also.You have to remember GABP will give a player 5-8 homers a year.

bradmu
09-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Thats what I was trying to say about Lee and Hunter.Give Hunter a deal of 3 years at 10 mil a year,and Lee a deal of 4 years at 12 mil a year.I Have enough common-sense to know your not going to get each of them here for just 3 mil a year a piece.

I think the Brewers already offered Carlos Lee that same Deal and he turned it down. Why would he accept it if the Reds offer it to him?

Also, I noticed no talk of Homer Bailey in the rotation...I'm glad he didn't get called up this year, but I would not be surprized to see him make the club out of Spring Training, or get the call up after a month or 2 at AAA.