PDA

View Full Version : Freel done for season

CTA513
09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I was checking out Marcs blog and saw this update:

Freel done for season

Get used to seeing Norris Hopper and Chris Denorfia in the outfield for the season's final 10 days. An examination today revealed a hairline fracture in Ryan Freel's left thumb and he will miss the rest of the season. Freel hurt himself on an ill-advised dive for a ball that became a triple by Luke Scott Tuesday night.

Also, Eric Milton will have arthroscopic surgery tomorrow morning to clean out his left elbow.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

westofyou
09-21-2006, 03:03 PM
If Freel was a Weeble I'd bet he'd fall down.

Joseph
09-21-2006, 03:04 PM
At this point it doesn't much matter anymore does it? even .500 seems like fantasizing about the cheerleader in English class, not bloody likely.

redsfan30
09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Nope, doesn't matter.

At this point in time, the only focus should be getting everyone 100% healthy and ready to go come February in Sarasota.

Danny Serafini
09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
We're now this close to seeing a starting outfield of Hopper, Hollandsworth and Wise.

cumberlandreds
09-21-2006, 03:15 PM
We're now this close to seeing a starting outfield of Hopper, Hollandsworth and Wise.

I put out a "fantasy" lineup that we could see a week or so ago in another thread. It included those three in the OF. The others were Larue Catching, Valentin at 1st, Olmedo at 2nd, Clayton at SS, Castro at 3rd and Jason Johnson pitching. Yesterday we got 3/4 of the infield. It's getting scary close to happening.

redsfan30
09-21-2006, 03:21 PM

Makes you remember the days of late 2003....Ruben Mateo, Dernell Stenson (God rest his soul) and Steven Smitherman.

Ouch.

redsupport
09-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Excellent post but it may be rivalled by the 1982 outfield of Dallas Williams, Duane Walker and Larry Biitner

Falls City Beer
09-21-2006, 03:24 PM
And with that, the last reason to even go to the ball orchard exits stage left...

westofyou
09-21-2006, 03:27 PM
And with that, the last reason to even go to the ball orchard exits stage left...

See ya next spring Ralph

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Sam_and_Ralph_clock.png

Danny Serafini
09-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Makes you remember the days of late 2003....Ruben Mateo, Dernell Stenson (God rest his soul) and Steven Smitherman.

Ouch.

I was getting Darren Bragg flashbacks myself. It wasn't pretty.

redsupport
09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I can think of five solid reasons to go the park

Developing star Royce Clayton gets even more playing time to burnish his superior skill set
Where else can you watch the precious incubation time of budding star Chris Michalek, go to the game to see if his delivieries can break a pane of glass
Wait for the return of superstar Ken Griffey as he embarks on his everpresent and ever successful
rehab" program, just in time to see if he can recapture the August magic that produced 11 rbi's
See if Brandon Harris gets an At Bat
Finally, there is a hotly contested spot for middle relief. Which future Geoff Combe or Joe Edelen can emerge from the muck

justincredible
09-21-2006, 04:01 PM
We bought our tickets for this weekend about two months ago. So much for still being in contention but I will still enjoy the games even if we are fielding a team that might be decent at the AAA level.

Tom Servo
09-21-2006, 04:24 PM
I put out a "fantasy" lineup that we could see a week or so ago in another thread. It included those three in the OF. The others were Larue Catching, Valentin at 1st, Olmedo at 2nd, Clayton at SS, Castro at 3rd and Jason Johnson pitching. Yesterday we got 3/4 of the infield. It's getting scary close to happening.
I was just thinking about something like that today.

C - LaRue
1B - Hollandsworth (just because)
2B - Olmedo
SS - Castro
3B - Harris
LF - Hopper
CF - Wise
RF - Denorfia
P - Johnson

You know you want it America :devil:

jimbo
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
This is exactly why I like the idea of Freel being an infielder instead of an outfielder. His dives can sometimes make the highlight real, but too many of them are just ill-advised or just downright physically dangerous. I think he stays healthier playing 2B everyday and I also think he'd become a pretty good second baseman.

redsupport
09-21-2006, 04:35 PM
why pitch johnson, hes too good, reactivate Joe Mays

RedsBaron
09-21-2006, 04:44 PM

That may be next season's regular outfield. Baseball fever....catch it!

Matt700wlw
09-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Is Farney still available?

Cyclone792
09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Down in Louisville, Chris Denorfia played center field regularly while Norris Hopper played left field regularly. I'd certainly like to know who was making the decision to play those two in that alignment. Was it Reds management instructing Louisville to do so, or was it Bats management on their own doing? Denorfia is quite obviously the better defensive outfielder between the two. Whoever authorized that alignment in Louisville was making the correct decision.

Why is that important? Well, if those two are both in the lineup up here, it will be very telling to see who is in center field and who is in a corner slot.

Danny Serafini
09-21-2006, 04:53 PM
At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see each in a corner and Hollandsworth in center.

i_heart_jason
09-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Is Farney still available?

that made me nearly spit out my tea.

TeamBoone
09-21-2006, 09:57 PM
That may be next season's regular outfield. Baseball fever....catch it!

I really don't think WK is that stupid. I really don't. Do you guys?

He wants to win as much as we do; I have no doubt that he'll get some things fixed over the offseason and during Spring Training.

scounts22
09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I really don't think WK is that stupid. I really don't. Do you guys?

He wants to win as much as we do; I have no doubt that he'll get some things fixed over the offseason and during Spring Training.

I totally agree. It's September. We all know the season is over. It's not like there's two months left and this is all we have to look forward to. I have faith in WK; I think it's pretty safe to say that he's made improvements to this team. Even though the post season hopes have diminished, I'm happy with the season. At least our team was competing in September instead of being 20 games out!

Chip R
09-22-2006, 03:25 PM
He wants to win as much as we do

That's unpossible. No one wants to win as much as we do. ;)