PDA

View Full Version : New Fall Television

minus5
09-22-2006, 10:13 AM
OK I don't watch a lot of television. Especially the crap that is on the networks these days BUT did anyone see the first episode of Studio 60 on NBC? My first though was "wow". Actual writing and acting on a television network. I was impressed. Anyone else see it?

dman
09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
I like "Standoff" pretty well. I have been impressed with Ron Livingston as an actor since Band Of Brothers.

Sweetstop
09-22-2006, 10:46 AM
OK I don't watch a lot of television. Especially the crap that is on the networks these days BUT did anyone see the first episode of Studio 60 on NBC? My first though was "wow". Actual writing and acting on a television network. I was impressed. Anyone else see it?

You didn't watch The West Wing? Good writing and acting. Same creator, Aaron Sorkin. In fact two main characters played by Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford (West Wing star) are evidently based on Sorkin and director Tommy Schlamme. Plus, Perry character's ex-Christian girl friend is based on Sorkin's ex, Kristin Chenoweth, who was also in The West Wing.

Studio 60 definitely has possibilites.

Reds Fanatic
09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Studio 60 looks like a really good show. Aaron Sorkin also did another great show that took place behind the scenes of a TV show and that was Sports Night. Another good new show is Kidnapped. That has a good cast with Jeremy Sisto, Timothy Hutton, Dana Delany and Delroy Lindo.

RichRed
09-22-2006, 02:23 PM

I agree about Studio 60; my fiancee and I were blown away by how good it was. I was going to give anything a try that was created by the guys behind West Wing and Sports Night and this one (the first episode anyway) didn't disappoint.

Great casting too; Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford already seem like they've been acting together for years. Nice to see a Judd "Alex from Taxi" Hirsch appearance too.

LoganBuck
09-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I am in the minority on Studio 60, I didn't like it. I hope that the rest of the shows are better. I doubt that was the pilot, probably more like a preface to the pilot, providing back story. I did not like any of the characters other then the control room guy. Most notable characters of hatred, Matthew Perry and his character's ex, the TV exec and Amanda Peet's look at me I have the touch of midas character. I watched and wanted to switch the channel the entire show. It did nothing to engage me for all the hype I hope it gets better. Kind of the Drew Stubbs of TV shows.

Jericho falls into the category of couldn't they just have had a miniseries or a made for TV movie? Pretty much a sci-fi channel show. Who in their right mind makes Skeet Ulrich the lead character? The Tony Womack of TV shows.

When is Heroes on? I have seen several commercials for it but the always say check local listings. The Jim Coombs of TV shows.

Red Leader
09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
The Jim Coombs of TV shows.

It takes less than 2 seconds to reach its climax? :dunno:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

zombielady
09-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Jericho falls into the category of couldn't they just have had a miniseries or a made for TV movie? Pretty much a sci-fi channel show. Who in their right mind makes Skeet Ulrich the lead character? The Tony Womack of TV shows.

It was really predictable, but I didn't hate it.

If you have HBO, they have some good shows. I love The Wire. Rome's first season was good, Entourage is one of the funniest I've seen in awhile. Network shows, pretty much Survivor and CSI are all I bother to watch. Though, I have some sick trainwreck compulsion to check out Ghost Whisperer

KronoRed
09-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Aaron Sorkin is the man.

I haven't bothered with any other shows, when the fall preview article makes it sound boring I choose to skip it ;)

Unassisted
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I saw the pilot about a month ago. Netflix had it available as a rental, in a double feature with the pilot for "Kidnapped."

I never watched The West Wing, either. But Studio 60 seems like a good show.

I'm curious to see the parallel show with Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan.

Kidnapped seems like a good show, too. Although after seeing him in Six Feet Under, it's hard to imagine people trusting Jeremy Sisto's character to rescue their kid from a kidnapper. ;)

Coffeybro
09-22-2006, 04:21 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/fall06/?d=503

Here is a web link to the first episode of Heroes before it premiers on Monday. Overall I liked the first episode.

Puffy
09-22-2006, 05:51 PM
It takes less than 2 seconds to reach its climax? :dunno:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Come on - including foreplay its 37 seconds. 37 seconds.

Johnny Footstool
09-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Studio 60 came off as a half-breed of the oh-so-serious, self-important West Wing and the irreverent SportsNight (which I still think is Sorkin's finest work). It struck me as odd that the show is about comedy, yet all the characters were joyless, miserable wretches, except for Amanda Peet, who spend the show looking off into the distance and smiling.

I didn't like it. I might give it another chance, but I was unimpressed with the first episode.

zombielady
09-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Studio 60 came off as a half-breed of the oh-so-serious, self-important West Wing and the irreverent SportsNight (which I still think is Sorkin's finest work). It struck me as odd that the show is about comedy, yet all the characters were joyless, miserable wretches, except for Amanda Peet, who spend the show looking off into the distance and smiling.

I didn't like it. I might give it another chance, but I was unimpressed with the first episode.

SportsNight was good, but never got into West Wing.

minus5
09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
It struck me as odd that the show is about comedy, yet all the characters were joyless, miserable wretches, .

I really didn't see that as much of a stretch. A lot of real life comedians/comedy writers are joyless, miserable wretches.

Razor Shines
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I dvr'd Studio 60 and just watched it last night, I thought it was pretty good. But the reason for "the sketch" getting cut was somewhat laughable, if they really wanted to be cutting edge they would have used a different group of people (i.e. Danish cartoons). I think we've seen who you can and cannot make fun of. I'll keep watching because the acting is very good, except I don't think Steven Webber was a good choice for his role.

Falls City Beer
09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
I really didn't see that as much of a stretch. A lot of real life comedians/comedy writers are joyless, miserable wretches.

Hey, I'm joyless and not funny. It sucks.

vaticanplum
09-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Studio 60 came off as a half-breed of the oh-so-serious, self-important West Wing and the irreverent SportsNight (which I still think is Sorkin's finest work).

Sports Night was glorious. I actually found it to be inspirational, on multiple levels. A sports show about people who really, really love what they do. Great writing, great acting, great use of music, very topical...of course it was canceled.

I meant to watch Studio 60 but of course I forgot. When is it on?

Chip R
09-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Sports Night was glorious. I actually found it to be inspirational, on multiple levels. A sports show about people who really, really love what they do. Great writing, great acting, great use of music, very topical...of course it was canceled.

10 tonight on NBC. I only got into West Wing a couple of years ago. Now I own seasons 1-4 on DVD. Never did care too much for Sports Night. It seemed too much like Jr. High school where the two anchors were always talking about the female producer may or may not date them. That's probably an unfair assessment as I only saw it a few times. I did manage to watch one episode on You Tube and, to be fair, it wasn't like that at all on that episode. Maybe if it comes back on Comedy Central or someplace else I'll give it another shot.

Reds Fanatic
09-25-2006, 07:33 PM
If anyone missed the premiere episode of Studio 60 you can watch it online on this link.

http://www.nbc.com/Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip/

vaticanplum
09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
10 tonight on NBC. I only got into West Wing a couple of years ago. Now I own seasons 1-4 on DVD. Never did care too much for Sports Night. It seemed too much like Jr. High school where the two anchors were always talking about the female producer may or may not date them. That's probably an unfair assessment as I only saw it a few times. I did manage to watch one episode on You Tube and, to be fair, it wasn't like that at all on that episode. Maybe if it comes back on Comedy Central or someplace else I'll give it another shot.

Oh man, watch it again. I think it's out on DVD if you want to rent it. What you say is a fair criticism, but only in a few episodes. Really it goes way beyond that.

I think that to watch Sports Night (and my guess is that this is indicative of most of Sorkin's stuff -- it was for what I saw of the West Wing), you have to put yourself in a certain mindset. It's very stylized and idealistic. I don't see it as something meant to be a blueprint for living in a literal sense; not many people can speak like that all the time, not many people are going to work in the White House or on a sports program. My guess -- and i know nothing about Sorkin -- is that he want to turn a mirror on things and get people to question their beliefs and values (I know that sounds lofty -- but for crying out loud, television could use some loftiness). This is extremely tough to do. In a sense, on Sports Night at least, the actors are given characters, but they're all hidden behind ideas and words, so it makes it that much harder to unearth them, which is one reason I think that those actors have a very difficult job and, on Sports Night at least, they did it very well. So I really truly respected that show, the place that it held on television, a lot of the ideas it espoused, the total passion behind everything...it made me cry on a regular basis. Which is not unusual, but still impressive.

LoganBuck
09-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Heroes was actually decent. Worth another look. Just as long as it doesn't go in the same direction as Surface did last year.

Studio 60 did nothing for me again. I will not watch it again. Not worth my time.

Any nip/tuck fans out there? I know it isn't new but this season has me scratching my head as well. The characters are so self destructive that the level of their hedonistic lives has gotten bizarre even by Hollywoods' decadant standard. I have seen every episode over the last few years, but am debating putting it out to pasture.

GIK
09-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Saw Heroes last night (9pm, NBC) and liked it. Will definitely give it another look next week.

I tried watching Studio 60 afterward and just couldn't get into it. That and I need to cut back on TV a bit.

minus5
09-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Any nip/tuck fans out there? I know it isn't new but this season has me scratching my head as well. The characters are so self destructive that the level of their hedonistic lives has gotten bizarre even by Hollywoods' decadant standard. I have seen every episode over the last few years, but am debating putting it out to pasture.

My wife likes nip/tuck. I have always felt like it just tired too hard to be what people would talk about around the water cooler. If you're going to have shock, have substance too. Just showing the audience how dark and hedonistic you can go week after week is boring - - unless you're South Park.

zombielady
09-26-2006, 09:01 AM
We have almost every new show DVRed hoping to catch one that we like. So far we've come up empty handed...

Red Leader
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I really liked Heroes last night and will continue watching it.

Watched Studio 60 and didn't care for it.

Puffy
09-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Liked Heroes - but isn't this just X-Men: The Beginning? Anyway, I did enjoy it and would like to have sex with Ali Larter. Just sayin'

And I like Studio 60 - Sorkin and Milch are two TV gods in my opinion (Deadwood got shafted) and its pretty much guaranteed I will like whatever either puts out there.

Johnny Footstool
09-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Sure, but watching miserable people wallow miserably in their own misery doesn't make good TV, IMO. Studio 60 just seems like an exercise in futility. It drains me of all energy.

I completely agree. SportsNight was about people finding their calling and following it. The drama and comedy were small-scale and realistic -- a lot closer to real life than the overblown, soap-operatic West Wing or ridiculous sitcom plots (Phoebe's having her brother's baby? Ross got his teeth whitened?).

Unassisted
09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Heroes was a bit of a yawn. I think the trailer gave up the best gimmicks from the pilot. I'm leery of the comic book angle that will apparently be introduced in the next episode.

It reminded me a bit of Surface, but edgier.

MrCinatit
09-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Liked Heroes - but isn't this just X-Men: The Beginning? Anyway, I did enjoy it and would like to have sex with Ali Larter. Just sayin'.

She can be my cam girl anytime!
I liked it, but for some reason, I have this sinking FireFly feeling that the show will not make it through the season. I do hope I am wrong, as I have some high hopes for this.

zombielady
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Heroes wasn't too bad. The dork in me LOVED the Star Trek references. Time will tell.

Puffy
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
The girl who plays the cheerleader in Heroes is the little girl from Remember the Titans.

She is now 17 years old. Less than one year until she is legal. Man, I need a life.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/hayden.jpg

zombie-a-go-go
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Heroes was a bit of a yawn. I think the trailer gave up the best gimmicks from the pilot. I'm leery of the comic book angle that will apparently be introduced in the next episode.

The dude who bends space and time isn't in the same timeframe as everyone else - he's in the future 'right now,' and all the comicbook stuff is referencing things that happened in the past 'right now,' so he ends up going back in time where the rest of the characters are and joining them all up.

That's my theory, anyway. And I didn't really like the show that much. The pacing was really poor, as was the choppy editing. Didn't flow well at all.

But it's genre, so I'll give it a few more shots. :)

HotCorner
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
The girl who plays the cheerleader in Heroes is the little girl from Remember the Titans.

She is now 17 years old. Less than one year until she is legal. Man, I need a life.

She's also in Racing Stripes.

Red Leader
09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
She's also in Racing Stripes.

Duh.. duh, duh, duh...da duh, da duh, can't touch this.

I can't believe you don't feel like a total perv talking about some girl that was in a Disney kid's movie.... :laugh:

Puffy
09-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Duh.. duh, duh, duh...da duh, da duh, can't touch this.

I can't believe you don't feel like a total perv talking about some girl that was in a Disney kid's movie.... :laugh:

Lindsay Lohan was in The Parent Trap.

Nuff' said

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/sexyss45sshot.jpg

BoydsOfSummer
09-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Men In Trees -Northern Exposure (maybe my all-time fav) ripoff attempt without the fantastic characters, so far.

Smith - Eh, two episodes in and not all that impressed. Viginia Madsen=Yummy.

Jericho - One episode...so far, so good. Depends on where they take it methinks.

The Class - Okay,but nuttin' special to me.

'til Death - I watch it for Joely Fisher. She's sexy as hell. Fairly funny and entertaining. Brad Garrett is a hoot.

Shark - Has potential. I like James Woods.

letsgojunior
09-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Grey's Anatomy is the best show on television. It's not a new show, but I just figured I'd say that.

Sabo Fan
09-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Shark - Has potential. I like James Woods.

Agreed. Watched it the other night and I liked it. Of course I'll watch pretty much anything he's in. Show reminded me a bit of House, but with lawyers.

LoganBuck
09-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Jericho was much better tonight. Always very important to see the change from the first show to the next in any show.

My wife watches Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. I can not stand either. Exteme Makeover is another of hers.

minus5
09-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Jericho was much better tonight. Always very important to see the change from the first show to the next in any show.

My wife watches Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. I can not stand either. Exteme Makeover is another of hers.

I DVRd Jericho last night. I'm anxious to see where they take this. My initial hope was somewhere along the lines of The Stand, though I know that won't happen.

I am soooo with you on Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. Last year with all the hoopla, I tried very hard to watch Desperate Housewives. My recton to my wife was "and yet women don't think that the 3 Stooges are funny?"

GIK
09-28-2006, 01:03 PM
FYI...

'Smallville' begins it's 6th season tonight. 8pm on the new CW channel.

Review: http://www.mediavillage.com/jmentr/2006/09/27/jmer-09-27-06/

Chip R
09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
FYI...

'Smallville' begins it's 6th season tonight. 8pm on the new CW channel.

Review: http://www.mediavillage.com/jmentr/2006/09/27/jmer-09-27-06/

Kneel before Zod!

http://www.zod2008.com/

SunDeck
09-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Watched Studio 60 this week and thought it was pretty weak. The thing about the West Wing was the fact that people are really interested in what goes on at the White House. I could care less about the backstage drama of SNL.

I've been watching Hustle lately. I think that's a pretty cool show.

vaticanplum
09-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Lindsay Lohan was in The Parent Trap.

Nuff' said

And she was very good in it too. As was Dennis Quaid, who also falls into the category of talented actors who happen to be not so difficult to look at it. not that I would know any of this, because I don't at all own the movie for the ostensible purpose of having something on hand for when my little cousins come to visit. Nor do I own the soundtrack.

Chip R
09-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Watched Studio 60 this week and thought it was pretty weak. The thing about the West Wing was the fact that people are really interested in what goes on at the White House. I could care less about the backstage drama of SNL.

I've watched both episodes so far and I don't think it was weak but it was not that strong. When West Wing was started, the coventional wisdom was that no one wanted to watch a political show but the writing and the characters made you interested in them and, by extention, the politics on the show. History has shown that you can write a show about pretty much anything and if the writing and the performers are first rate, people will watch it.

I like S60 so far but so far it is missing two things that an Aaron Sorkin show usually has: Really good humor and pathos. There were some funny lines in there but they were pretty much throwaway lines. And there hasn't been a lot of pathos in there yet and I don't count the lovers' quarrel between Harriet and Matt.

RadfordVA
09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
I didnt find studio 60 either lol funny or a gripping drama. So I had to ask myself why I was watching so I axed it from the season pass list. So far Smith on CBS is the only new show that I am going to keep watching. It seems decent enough plus Amy Smart is keeping me interested for some reason.

LoganBuck
09-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Shark was pretty good last night.

Heard on the radio yesterday that Studio 60 had 2.5 million viewers when the show started. Halfway through the show they only had 500000. That doesn't sound very good at all.

minus5
09-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Shark was pretty good last night.

Heard on the radio yesterday that Studio 60 had 2.5 million viewers when the show started. Halfway through the show they only had 500000. That doesn't sound very good at all.

Actually it was from 14.57 million before 10:30 to 12.2 million after. But still maintained a 5 ratings share.

LoganBuck
09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Those guys on the Radio were way off then.

minus5
09-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Those guys on the Radio were way off then.

I think the powers that be at NBC would be shooting someone if it got down to 500,000 viewers....those aren't even UPN numbers. The radio guys may have exaggerated juuuust a bit.

redsrule2500
09-29-2006, 05:18 PM

She's legal in nearly every state, including Ohio.

RadfordVA
10-03-2006, 01:35 AM
She's legal in nearly every state, including Ohio.

If she's 17 she's not legal in every state. She is in Ohio but not here in Va. You should always keep this page bookmarked if you travel;) Its funny that in New Mexico you cant have male female sex until 17 but sex within your gender at 13. Talk about given the lesbian community a head start.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

zombielady
10-03-2006, 02:25 PM
If she's 17 she's not legal in every state. She is in Ohio but not here in Va. You should always keep this page bookmarked if you travel;) Its funny that in New Mexico you cant have male female sex until 17 but sex within your gender at 13. Talk about given the lesbian community a head start.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

Being at the age of consent does not make someone legal, exactly. Though rare, a legal adult can still be charged with statutory rape for being with a 17 year old. And considered a sex offender for the rest of his/her life...

SunDeck
10-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Tried Studio 60 for a second time.
And again...I'm not getting it.

vaticanplum
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Tried Studio 60 for a second time.
And again...I'm not getting it.

I saw it last night for the first time and I liked it a lot. but a show like that is pretty much tailor-made for me.

I definitely think that Sorkin and co. are beginning to rely on a "formula" though. The dialogue and acting are still sharp enough that it's entertaining, but it's lost some depth and will get stale if they remain on cruise control.

Chip R
10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I saw it last night for the first time and I liked it a lot. but a show like that is pretty much tailor-made for me.

I definitely think that Sorkin and co. are beginning to rely on a "formula" though. The dialogue and acting are still sharp enough that it's entertaining, but it's lost some depth and will get stale if they remain on cruise control.

I thought Monday's was the best one so far. It had humor and the pathos as well. Sarah Paulson's Holly Hunter impersonation was great. I'm looking forward to the Christmas episode. Every X-mas episode they did on West Wing while Sorkin was there was outstanding.

Unassisted
10-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I haven't quite warmed up to Studio 60 yet. I've never watched the other Sorkin shows and I confess to a bias against anyone who was in the cast of "Friends." My biggest issue with the show is that I'm finding Amanda Peet less and less believable as the network prez with each passing week.

I liked the second episode of "Heroes" better than the first. I wonder if the audience is going to be confused by and lose interest because of the time-travel, though?

vaticanplum
10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
My biggest issue with the show is that I'm finding Amanda Peet less and less believable as the network prez with each passing week.

She's not very good, and I so want her to be. She's so pretty and accessible and smart. And also, sadly, monotone.

Chip R
10-04-2006, 07:43 PM
She's not very good, and I so want her to be. She's so pretty and accessible and smart. And also, sadly, monotone.

She's supposed to be the network president. That isn't exactly a stable position. I wonder how long it will take to fire her and bring in Josh Malina to replace her. ;)

Seriously, one of the things that has bugged me about her and Steven Weber's characters is that they seem to be very preoccupied with that particular show. And that isn't necessarily their fault since they aren't writing the show. They have a whole network to run but seem to be dealing with this particular show most of the time.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-04-2006, 07:51 PM
It isn't a new show, but I'm pumped for the season premier of Lost tonight. One of the only shows I really get into.

jmcclain19
10-04-2006, 08:06 PM
My wife and I have enjoyed Smith so far. First new show in a while I didn't turn off before it was over. I missed last night so I'll be catching episode three on the TiVo tonight.

Joseph
10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone a fan of 'Jericho'?

Unassisted
10-04-2006, 10:14 PM
My wife and I have enjoyed Smith so far. First new show in a while I didn't turn off before it was over. I missed last night so I'll be catching episode three on the TiVo tonight.

I like it, too. It's interesting to see the facade that the heist group has built up slowly unraveling. Amy Smart's character is an interesting loose cannon.

I've read some speculation on another board that Ray Liotta has had some work done to tighten up his mug. He definitely looks more intimidating than he used to.

Red Leader
10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I started watching "The Nine" after the Season premier of Lost. I turned it off about 20 mins in. I had other things going on and that show appears to be one of those shows where you have to pay attention throughout. I'll try re-watching it this weekend. i want to like it, but it's a pretty complex plot and it moves rather quickly, IMO. We'll see.

jmcclain19
10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I like it, too. It's interesting to see the facade that the heist group has built up slowly unraveling. Amy Smart's character is an interesting loose cannon.

I've read some speculation on another board that Ray Liotta has had some work done to tighten up his mug. He definitely looks more intimidating than he used to.

Shows what I know about what people like.

Saw a report today that said that Smith has been struggling ratings wise.

But I really enjoy it, and hope they give it time.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Liotta had some work done. He still looks like he did in Goodfellas, 16 years ago.

jmcclain19
10-05-2006, 12:28 PM
I started watching "The Nine" after the Season premier of Lost. I turned it off about 20 mins in. I had other things going on and that show appears to be one of those shows where you have to pay attention throughout. I'll try re-watching it this weekend. i want to like it, but it's a pretty complex plot and it moves rather quickly, IMO. We'll see.

Caught that one last night too, by accident. Good start - you definitely need to be watching the entire thing, that is for sure.

LoganBuck
10-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Jericho is really coming on. It still has a few kinks to work out, but it is really starting to hit stride. The pilot was not very good, these last two episodes have been really good. My question is what it the deal with Hawkins? He is hiding something in his basement and is generally unexplained.

guttle11
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM

I was, but then he got too into the Fozzy stuff and his workrate suffered.:mooner:

Chip R
10-05-2006, 01:37 PM
I was, but then he got too into the Fozzy stuff and his workrate suffered.:mooner:

:laugh:

minus5
10-05-2006, 03:53 PM

My wife and I have been enjoying that one and Heros.

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 06:20 PM
A few new shows have already been cancelled. Smith was cancelled today. Kidnapped is being cancelled after it airs 13 episodes. The remaining shows of Kidnapped will be shown on Saturdays.

Unassisted
10-07-2006, 01:08 AM
A few new shows have already been cancelled. Smith was cancelled today. Kidnapped is being cancelled after it airs 13 episodes. The remaining shows of Kidnapped will be shown on Saturdays.

A poster on another board I read who works for Nielsen blames cancellations of good shows on those who hang up on his company when they call to invite people to participate in ratings surveys.

I'm disappointed that Smith is going to be pulled from the schedule after so few episodes aired. I like "Kidnapped," but I read that the ratings were suffering a steady decline each week after the pilot aired. Both shows were action-heavy and probably had the highest budgets among new series.

I read some informed speculation that the NBC show E-Ring, which disappeared from the schedule in February, but was never officially cancelled, might return as a mid-season replacement if NBC ends up with many holes to fill in its schedule.

MrCinatit
10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
If anyone was a fan of Friends, there is a complete reincarnation of it on CBS, this time called The Class.
If that show lasts more than one year, I will be surprised.

KronoRed
10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I just got finished watching that and thought I was watching Friends except with more annoying actors.

LoganBuck
10-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Heroes had a fantastic "wow" ending tonight. I will say this much, it makes a good stop gap until 24 comes back in January.

MrCinatit
10-10-2006, 07:22 AM
I just got finished watching that and thought I was watching Friends except with more annoying actors.

That is exactly what I thought.
"Hey...that's Ross...but I hate him even more! That one's Joey...he needs to die!"
The only way I could hate the show more is if they all wore Cubs caps.

minus5
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM

At least some of the folks in Friends could semi act....and had some funny moments (not defending Friends here but...) The Class reminded me of a really bad high school play that the students wrote. This is some of the worst acting I've seen on prime time in a while.

minus5
10-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Heroes had a fantastic "wow" ending tonight. I will say this much, it makes a good stop gap until 24 comes back in January.

I'm digging Heros more than I thought I would.

Red Leader
10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm digging Heros more than I thought I would.

I am as well. I like it a lot and will continue to watch.

LoganBuck
10-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I heard on 700 WLW, from Rick Byrd yesterday morning that Heroes has been picked up for all season, and that Jericho and Shark are likely to be as well. Ugly Betty (my wife watches that) is also doing well.

Shows that are in danger of being cancelled include shows that had very high hopes Studio 60, and Friday Night Lights.

Red Leader
10-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Studio 60 has done nothing for me. I watched 3 episodes and wasn't impressed with any of them.

Heroes has gotten suprisingly better each week. More intriguing. When I saw the previews in the summer, I knew I'd like it enough to give it a chance. The first episode was pretty much what I expected, but it has gotten a lot better since that episode. I really enjoy it.

I still haven't been able to sit down and watch "The Nine" yet. I have all of the episodes DVR'd, just haven't watched them yet.

Unassisted
10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Shows that are in danger of being cancelled include shows that had very high hopes Studio 60, and Friday Night Lights.

Below's a link to a good AP column from today about how "Friday Night Lights" is this season's best show that nobody's watching. I like FNL, but I think the show started too late and must be suffering for attention behind its competition.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/LIFE/610170349/1005

DoogMinAmo
10-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I personally have wondered how NBC can make 2 shows about making late night comedy when SNL itself has struggled of late. Those who can't do, teach?

FWIW, I enjoy Studio 60.

KronoRed
10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
30 Rock was horrible, 5 mins in I looked over at the clock and was shocked to see it had only been 5 mins, felt like 30.

Studio 60 is good stuff though, not surprised it's struggling, it's closer to Sports Night then West Wing and foolish TV viewers didn't watch SN either ;)

LoganBuck
10-17-2006, 10:16 PM
I watched FNL tonight. I did not care about a single character on the show. The paralized kid didn't even inspire any sympathy or empathy. Good concept bad writing and casting, my guess is that the black Katrina refugee QB, was written into the script to take the story a different direction. A make or break move.

Unassisted
10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
I watched FNL tonight. I did not care about a single character on the show. The paralized kid didn't even inspire any sympathy or empathy. Good concept bad writing and casting, my guess is that the black Katrina refugee QB, was written into the script to take the story a different direction. A make or break move.

Really? I think the coach is extremely well cast. He reminds me so much of my high school's football coach and the coaches I've met at my son's high school. If anything, I think the kids on the show are not quite as deferential to adults as Texas high school kids are. Having them be confrontational makes for better drama. The slimy boosters strike me as very realistic, too. Mack Brown had a one-shot appearance as a booster in the first episode and was very good.

vaticanplum
10-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I cried twice at Studio 60 tonight. I think it's settling in, not trying so hard, and getting better.

beb30
10-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Heroes was once again excellent last night, and continues to get better and better.

minus5
10-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Heros was really good last night. I like the way it is keeping you guessing.

wolfboy
10-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm really not a television fan. Two shows have captured my interest in the past 5 or so years: Six Feet Under and 24. Sunday night, I was able to catch a few episodes of Heroes, and I am hooked. Unfortunately, I have a late class on Monday nights, so I'm not able to see the show when it airs. Fortunately, in the day and age of itunes and internet, it doesn't matter.

There are several things that I like about this show. The acting is well done. The show takes the time to develop the characters instead of trying to shove a bunch of special effects down your throat. The show definately isn't kid or teen oriented (which is what I expected). The plot line is VERY intriguing. The end of each episode really builds up the suspense (like 24, but not quite as well). I have never owned a comic book in my life. I have not seen either spider man movie. In general, I'm not a fan of the genre, but this show is just that good. Hopefully, it won't disappoint as it goes on. In case anyone misses and episode, you can watch the last episode for free on nbc.com (the rewind feature).

LoganBuck
10-24-2006, 09:03 PM
I watch FNL tonight, at the end the said that FNL will be on at 10pm Monday following Heroes next week.

Reds Fanatic
10-24-2006, 09:06 PM
I watch FNL tonight, at the end the said that FNL will be on at 10pm Monday following Heroes next week.
They are putting that on Monday instead of a Studio 60 repeat. It is just on Monday this one time. They are trying to get more people to try the show by putting it on after Heroes for a week.

Cedric
10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
I haven't in my life been able to get into a sitcom and watch it regularly. But my brother told me about Jericho and I'm surprised to say I love it. It seems really creative and the character development has been also. Looking forward to it.