PDA

View Full Version : Drew Stubbs and Chris Valaika named BA PL Top 20 prospects

dougdirt
09-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Baseball America just released its top 20 Prospects for the Pioneer League.

Drew Stubbs came it at #7.
Chris Valaika was sitting at #13.
No other Reds made the list.

You can read the entire article here.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/262502.html

mbgrayson
09-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Never mind

Superdude
09-22-2006, 03:19 PM
No Dorn? You'd think the best hitter in the league would at least crack top 20.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
The list must be based on the draft and nothing to do with the actual games played (Pioneer League).

Doc. Scott
09-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Boy, that Stubbs sure ground his way to the top. Good thing he hustles so much.

jmcclain19
09-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Since the scouting report for both players are behind the Subscriber Firewall, I'll summerize.

For Stubbs - High Draft pick, swing raised eyebrows, has trouble w/ pitch recognition & has a long swing at times. But has monstrous power, above average speed and an average arm

For Valaika - Looked like a 1st round talent in college before injury, great contact hitter, good pitch recognition, quick hands, Gap power but not a home run hitter. Lack of range & strong arm will mean a move to 3B later.

jmcclain19
09-22-2006, 04:58 PM
it's also worth noting that BA released the GCL Top 20 prospects list on Wedensday and no one from the GCL Reds squad made the list.

lollipopcurve
09-22-2006, 05:23 PM
For Stubbs - High Draft pick, swing raised eyebrows, has trouble w/ pitch recognition & has a long swing at times. But has monstrous power, above average speed and an average arm

Don't know if it was in the chat or the rankings, but they also said he plays great defense in CF and has the toolbox to develop into a Cameron/Hunter type player.

Cedric
09-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Don't know if it was in the chat or the rankings, but they also said he plays great defense in CF and has the toolbox to develop into a Cameron/Hunter type player.

You mean something other than a 150 bat ops matters?

Wow, who would have thought baseball was more than just slugging and walking?

New Fever
09-22-2006, 07:16 PM
In the chat they mentioned that if Loo had qualified he would have made the GCL list. They said that they love him and his aggressive hitting approach..

dougdirt
09-23-2006, 11:32 AM
it's also worth noting that BA released the GCL Top 20 prospects list on Wedensday and no one from the GCL Reds squad made the list.

Like someone else said, Milton Loo was said to have made the list if he qualified. Another guy that I personally like from the GCL team that didnt make the cut was Josh Ravin. He is a guy I will be paying attention to next year in Dayton (at least I assume he will start there).

Betterread
09-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Like someone else said, Milton Loo was said to have made the list if he qualified. Another guy that I personally like from the GCL team that didnt make the cut was Josh Ravin. He is a guy I will be paying attention to next year in Dayton (at least I assume he will start there).
What's your scouting report on Ravin? He is a big kid, who I think had a disappointing senior year, because he was rated as a preseason HS top 50 prospect, but fell to the 5th round. He showed the Reds enough in the GCL to get a promotion to Billings, where he pitched decently.

dougdirt
09-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Ravin has an 89-91 MPH FB that had touched 94 in HS, has a decent change up and a curveball. I like his size, being that he is 6'4" and 195, he will have the ability to pack on some size still.
One of the reasons he may have fallen to teh 5th round was he missed some time his senior year with an arm injury, but it did not require surgery. He pitched well in the GCL outside of his last outing. Prior to that outing he had an ERA of 2.33, when he was promoted to the PL from the GCL he kept up a very good k rate but his hit rate was much better in the PL and he only allowed 1 HR in his 36.1 innings pitched last year.

Problem with the GCL is that there is basically no coverage whatever of the entire league, so next year is when we will get a really good feel for what Ravin is bringing to the table.

Betterread
09-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks, DD, for the report. Along with Jordan Smith, Arneson and Derrick Lutz, we have some pitching sleepers among the 2006 draftees who might make the jump to prospect status soon.

Aronchis
09-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Ravin's a young Homer Bailey.

edabbs44
09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Since the scouting report for both players are behind the Subscriber Firewall, I'll summerize.

For Valaika - Looked like a 1st round talent in college before injury, great contact hitter, good pitch recognition, quick hands, Gap power but not a home run hitter. Lack of range & strong arm will mean a move to 3B later.

Stubbs' hitting report sounds like Drew Henson.

edabbs44
09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
In the chat they mentioned that if Loo had qualified he would have made the GCL list. They said that they love him and his aggressive hitting approach..

And in the chat it also said that Stubbs got some love for the #1 spot...

cincyinco
09-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Ravin's a young Homer Bailey.

Coming from you Aronchis, I'm not sure if thats praise or a diss on Ravin. :p: ;)

Aronchis
09-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Coming from you Aronchis, I'm not sure if thats praise or a diss on Ravin. :p: ;)

Since I have never have said anything bad about Homer in the first place, I think you are offbase.......

My view with Homer is his overall stuff isn't what it is made out to be, in a very Josh Beckett way(similiar builds and deliveries). Though that doesn't mean he doesn't have upper rotation ability, he does, but at this time while he struggles developing his changeup, he will get exposed in the majors because his fastball doesn't have the type of movement needed to succeed with only 2 pitches. He really needs that changeup to become a good pitch to be the ace we all hope him to be.

Ravin has a similiar build and delivery to Bailey. His changeup may even be more developed than Homer's right now, big steal if he can stay healthy.

Superdude
09-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Ravin has an 89-91 MPH FB that had touched 94 in HS

Am I wrong or did I read somewhere that he was touching 96MPH this year? Ravin's delivery is wierd though. I'm very far from anything close to an expert, but both Ravin and Roenicke look like they could throw way harder if they didn't have panzy deliveries.

dougdirt
09-27-2006, 09:27 PM
You may have read that Superdude, I havent seen that though. I hope you did read that right though, a few extra MPH never hurt anyone (as long as it was acheived without overthrowing). Do you remember where you read that at, I would like to take a look at it, see if maybe its got some other stuff in there as well.

Superdude
09-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I really have no idea where I got that. I just remember hearing it somewhere.