PDA

View Full Version : Bonds ties Aaron for NL homer mark

Gallen5862
09-22-2006, 10:58 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2006/m09/d22/c1677011.jsp
Bonds ties Aaron for NL homer mark
09/22/2006 10:29 PM ET
By Rich Draper / MLB.com

DENVER -- Giants slugger Barry Bonds hit career homer 733 on Friday night at Miller Park, tying Hank Aaron for the National League's all-time home run record.
The blast off Milwaukee reliever Chris Spurling in the sixth inning was Bonds' 25th four-bagger of the season and leaves him 22 homers shy of Aaron's Major League mark of 755 career homers. Hammerin' Hank also slugged 22 homers over two seasons with the American League Milwaukee Brewers in 1975-76.

Bonds, who boasts 557 homers in a Giants uniform, has been on an offensive tear over his last 26 games, hitting .400 with nine homers, and he had already doubled twice and driven in three runs prior to the three-run shot off Spurling.

The blast boosted the Giants into an 11-10 lead, and Bonds' six RBIs tied a season high for San Francisco.

Spurling became the 433rd pitcher to allow a homer to Bonds.

Although hitting just .273 overall, improved health -- especially in his knees -- has meant a sturdier platform at the plate, where Bonds can use his legs and arms in a powerful symmetry.

Bonds' homer was his ninth clout in his last 20 games.

Gallen5862
09-22-2006, 11:00 PM
I hate to see this happen. This is a shame that Arron's legitimate numbers he set for records are being equaled or past by Bonds.

BCubb2003
09-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Who would have thought it was up to a Milwaukee Brewer to save baseball's home run record?

Goten
09-23-2006, 12:21 AM
I hate to see this happen. This is a shame that Arron's legitimate numbers he set for records are being equaled or past by Bonds.

Aaron admitted to using Amphetamines. A PED banned in all sports.

WVRedsFan
09-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Aaron admitted to using Amphetamines. A PED banned in all sports.

Lot of difference between speed and steriods. Speed gives you energy, but steriods gives you strength. More power to break a record set by a man who did it on his God-given strength.

Sorry, but Barry's a fraud and the more I see the adoration on ESPN, the sicker it makes me.

RedsBaron
09-23-2006, 07:48 AM
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

dougflynn23
09-23-2006, 12:26 PM
:p: I'm pulling for Bonds if for no other reason than to watch the commissioner's office squirm when he pulls within a few HR's of Aaron's record.

Goten
09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Lot of difference between speed and steriods. Speed gives you energy, but steriods gives you strength. More power to break a record set by a man who did it on his God-given strength.

Sorry, but Barry's a fraud and the more I see the adoration on ESPN, the sicker it makes me.

There is a difference between speed and steroids. On takes work to benefit from, while the other doesn't.

Proof that greenies enhance performance ? Jesus, what about quotes from professional ballplayers who report quicker batspeed, footspeed, and pitchers who increase their velocity ?

What about studies done on swim and track teams ?

What about Mike Schmidt on the mike and mike show saying they could definitely benefit an athlete to a high degree ?

What about Chad Curtis teammate saying he doesn't care about steroids being banned from baseball, but knew if they were banned, amphetamines would be to, and he can't play without them ?

Just name it bub. I could post hundreds of articles backing up the claim that amphetamines are effective performance enhancers.

Sorry, but don't give me that " speed isn't a good ped " crap because some of your favorite players popped these pills like candy. They are performance enhancing drugs, it's a concrete fact.

BoydsOfSummer
09-23-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm reading "Game of Shadows" right now. My dislike of that ass deepens.

BOOO!!

KronoRed
09-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Matt700wlw
09-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Barry who?

Goten
09-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm reading "Game of Shadows" right now. My dislike of that ass deepens.

BOOO!!

Assuming everything in it is true, nothing there makes him any more despicable. Other than the fact they try to describe Bonds steroid regimen as sophiscated, when in all actuality, it's not.

dman
09-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Assuming everything in it is true, nothing there makes him any more despicable. Other than the fact they try to describe Bonds steroid regimen as sophiscated, when in all actuality, it's not.

There is so much eveidence out there, that to me this book is nothing less than gospel regarding the steroid allegations

Goten
09-23-2006, 09:20 PM
There is so much eveidence out there, that to me this book is nothing less than gospel regarding the steroid allegations

Right, but nothing in the book actually proves he used illegal drugs. Well, outside of the only non anonymous source, the alleged mistress Kimerbly Belle.

fearofpopvol1
09-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Right, but nothing in the book actually proves he used illegal drugs. Well, outside of the only non anonymous source, the alleged mistress Kimerbly Belle.

Yeah, and OJ Simpson was innoncent.

Goten
09-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah, and OJ Simpson was innoncent.

Who said either was innocent ?

Being innocent has nothing to do whether or not something's been proven. And Bonds using illegal drugs hasn't been proven.

dman
09-23-2006, 10:31 PM
It's been proven in the court of public opinion, and in this scenario, that's more than enough. The only reason it hasn't went farther is that Bud Selig carries quite a bit of political clout and there's not a person to be found with the balls enough to push the issue.

Goten
09-23-2006, 11:36 PM
It's been proven in the court of public opinion, and in this scenario, that's more than enough. The only reason it hasn't went farther is that Bud Selig carries quite a bit of political clout and there's not a person to be found with the balls enough to push the issue.

The court of public opinion is irrelevant. What matters is the court of law, for anything to happen to Bonds or his records. And I disagree that Selig hasn't pushed the issue. He's pushed the issue enough to make some wonder if it's a witch-hunt. Which wouldn't make the black community happy ( we've already heard complaints from Jesse Jackson, Mccovey, Stephen A. Smith, and Scoop Jackson). The issue has been pushed. The simple fact is, it can't be proven for a concrete fact that he used illegal drugs when they were banned in baseball. And if they can prove he used after 1991, but not after 2002, then the suspension he could only face is to see the teams physician. Because prior to 2002, that was the penalty. No records " erased " no suspension, nothing but that.

Crosley68
09-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Move along....nothing to see here.

fearofpopvol1
09-24-2006, 01:04 PM
The court of public opinion is irrelevant. What matters is the court of law, for anything to happen to Bonds or his records. And I disagree that Selig hasn't pushed the issue. He's pushed the issue enough to make some wonder if it's a witch-hunt. Which wouldn't make the black community happy ( we've already heard complaints from Jesse Jackson, Mccovey, Stephen A. Smith, and Scoop Jackson). The issue has been pushed. The simple fact is, it can't be proven for a concrete fact that he used illegal drugs when they were banned in baseball. And if they can prove he used after 1991, but not after 2002, then the suspension he could only face is to see the teams physician. Because prior to 2002, that was the penalty. No records " erased " no suspension, nothing but that.

Are you forgetting the fact that he admitted to using steroids, but denied knowing what they were? Granted, the info was leaked illegally, but he still took them.

WMR
09-24-2006, 02:27 PM
I've read Game of Shadows.

Barry took steroids. There should be no debate of that fact.

The mountain of evidence against Barry is Mt. Everest-esque.

Goten
09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Are you forgetting the fact that he admitted to using steroids, but denied knowing what they were? Granted, the info was leaked illegally, but he still took them.

He didn't admit to using steroids actually.

I've read Game of Shadows.

Barry took steroids. There should be no debate of that fact.

The mountain of evidence against Barry is Mt. Everest-esque.

Exhibit A. Because the guy isn't liked, a book with 99% anonymous sources, sans an alleged mistress is taking as gospel.

There's really more legitimate evidence linking Aaron to illegal Amphetamines than Bonds to illegal anabolic steroids. But since Aaron is a " nice guy " who played before the 1990's, apparently before drug cheating started, nothing written about him is factual.

WMR
09-25-2006, 11:51 PM
99% anonymous sources????

Grand-jury testimony is still grand-jury testimony, whether it's 'leaked' or not.

Their referencing of their sources in the back of the book takes up a good 25 pages. They were extremely thorough, b/c if they weren't, Barry would have sued their asses.

Goten
09-26-2006, 12:38 AM
99% anonymous sources????

Grand-jury testimony is still grand-jury testimony, whether it's 'leaked' or not.

Their referencing of their sources in the back of the book takes up a good 25 pages. They were extremely thorough, b/c if they weren't, Barry would have sued their asses.

I agree, and Bonds never admitted to taking steroids in it.

And yes, the sources in Game of Shadows are anonymous, sans kimberly bell. And even taking that inco account, none of the sources actually seen Bonds taking steroids. The closest thing to that was a passage on pg. 298 stating that agent Novitsky was told by Conte that Bonds used steroids.

WMR
09-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Barry admitted that he took substances given to him by Conte which he claimed to have no knowledge as to what they actually were.

The raids on Conte's BalCo offices turned up doping schedules for athletes, Barry included...

Barry called it The Clear, the same name Conte gave his undetectable steroid... I could keep on going...

The proof turned up at BalCo is far from anonymous. It is extremely damning.

Goten
09-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Barry admitted that he took substances given to him by Conte which he claimed to have no knowledge as to what they actually were.

The raids on Conte's BalCo offices turned up doping schedules for athletes, Barry included...

Barry called it The Clear, the same name Conte gave his undetectable steroid... I could keep on going...

The proof turned up at BalCo is far from anonymous. It is extremely damning.

The article detailing the leaked testimony is a lead in mischaracterizing what Bonds testified. Bonds said he took Flax Seed Oil and Arthritic Balm Greg Anderson gave to him. Prosecutors SPECULATED that what Bonds was describing sounded like the Clear and the Cream. Bonds did tell them the only way possible is if Anderson slipped it to him unknowingly. He then added that being they were lifelong friends, he couldn't see Anderson jeopardizing their friendship in that way.Heck, just look at it this way, if Bonds had admitted to using the Cream and the Clear steroids, there wouldn't be any question whatsoever of perjury.

And FTR, I never said there wasn't evidence that Bonds used illegal steroids, I just said it wasn't a concrete fact as you previously pointed out.

It may be a fact in your mind, but not in the court of law.

WMR
09-26-2006, 12:51 AM
And FTR, I never said there wasn't evidence that Bonds used illegal steroids, I just said it wasn't a concrete fact as you previously pointed out.

It may be a fact in your mind, but not in the court of law.

Agreed, a concrete fact in truth is different than a fact useable in a court of law.

I still think there's a better than even chance Barry will be charged with perjury, esp. as Victor Conte continues to run his mouth as to more of his specific conversations w/ Barry and Barry's actual knowledge.

Goten
09-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Agreed, a concrete fact in truth is different than a fact useable in a court of law.

I still think there's a better than even chance Barry will be charged with perjury, esp. as Victor Conte continues to run his mouth as to more of his specific conversations w/ Barry and Barry's actual knowledge.

I doubt Barry gets charged with perjury, especially since Conte has denied Anything regarding Barry Bonds and steroids. Hell, he even claims to have proof that some things in Game of shadow is factually incorrect. This issue, IMO, will never be resolved. And this debate will go on for as long as Bonds is still in the spotlight.

WMR
09-26-2006, 01:22 AM
I dunno, Goten, I heard something in passing on SportsCenter that the Special Prosecutor has asked for more time to--presumably--get his ducks in a row or whatever.

I also remember reading that Conte has become much more willing to provide actual details--which could possibly prove perjury--as to what he told Barry, Barry's remarks to him, and, thus, what Barry actually knew about the drugs he was putting into his body (whether through the go-between of Anderson or not).

Goten
09-26-2006, 10:29 PM
I dunno, Goten, I heard something in passing on SportsCenter that the Special Prosecutor has asked for more time to--presumably--get his ducks in a row or whatever.

I also remember reading that Conte has become much more willing to provide actual details--which could possibly prove perjury--as to what he told Barry, Barry's remarks to him, and, thus, what Barry actually knew about the drugs he was putting into his body (whether through the go-between of Anderson or not).

We'll just have to see. The last I heard about Conte regarding Bonds knowingly using illegal drugs was an article talking about Bonds wanting to get " jacked ". Of course, Conte never said it was true, a source said so.