PDA

View Full Version : OSU-Iowa Game

GAC
09-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Last week I said that for PSU to have a chance, Paterno was gonna emphasize the running game, clock control, and try to keep the OSU offense off the field as much as possible. Their young QB (Morelli), who has not impressed too many in this early season, wouldn't be able to match up with Smith if it turned into a shootout.

And what really helped that game plan out was the weather. We'd had a steady, drizzling, rain here since Friday afternoon. That hurts the passing game. And while it obviously affects both teams, IMHO, it hurt OSU more then Penn State, and helped to level the playing field somewhat.

But good teams will rise to the occassion, adapt, and find a way to overcome those conditions. And OSU did. Though you wouldn't here the ABC Gameday coverage people say that.

The final score, obviously, was not indicative of how close this game was. I kinda liked it. It reminded me of those OSU-Penn State matchups back in the Hayes tenure (9-6, 10-7 scores).

But how about that 37 yd pass from Smith to Robiskie after scrambling around back there! Wow! Brought me off the couch.

But any time your defense (and a very young one too) can hold the opposition to 6 pts, while scoring 14 - well, ya gotta give them their due.

Tedd Ginn? Not too impressed with him at this early stage of the season. Especially in the area of special teams. But I think appearing on the cover of SI didn't jinx him, but just that it has brought him that added attention of the opposition (who know he can hurt you like lightning). But that has helped open things up for others on this offensive squad. I liked what was said last night on the OSU post-game program. Sooner or later, if Ginn continues to not be much of a factor, the oposition is gonna "back off" somewhat to try and cover these other guys... and that is where mistakes are gonna be made, and we are gonna see Ginn really shine.

And of course - the game provided Tressel with the opportunity to try and kick one of his illustrious 50+ yd FG attempts! I think that is in his contract. :lol:

And Malcolm Jenkins looked like he spiked the ball down BEFORE he crossed the goal line. We may have got away with one there.

The pre/post game coverage....

ABC's Saunders, James, and Flute (who seems to be simply along for the ride. Not impressed with his bland commentary at all), can kiss my scarlet and grey butt!

And so can Bob Griese!

Even before the game they talked/acted like OSU was really not a legitimate #1, and I got the impression that somehow they hoped they would lose so they can crown the "true" #1 in USC. James also like WVU (which I do too).

But the point is - these guys don't give OSU any respect at all!

I think Saunders and James were salivating, waiting for the halftime show, and seeing OSU struggling, so they could reaffirm that position. Again, Flute? he just sits over there and every once in awhile throws in a "I agree with you guys. Whatever you say."

Hey Doug! Your fly's open! :lol:

I like Paul Maguire though. He just seems to be no nonsense, straight forward in his announcing, and knows what is going on. He corrected/disagreed with Griese a few times during the game.

Next week is defintely gonna be a HUGE test at Iowa. Craig James is keeping his fingers crossed that we'll get beat there. ;)

I say we open up chat for that game! It's a 8 PM.

GAC
09-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Did Notre Dame save trheir season last night? I went to bed at halftime when they were down 31-14. I see where they came back and won it in the 4th.

Good to see them comeback against a team that isn't even in the top 25.

Charlie Weis- the second coming of Knute Rockne. :lol:

Cedric
09-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Notre Dame is just a bad football team. You gonna really win anything with Rick Minter as your DC?

He's a horrible gameday coach with a bad attitude, I know that first hand.

max venable
09-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Notre Dame is just a bad football team.

This just in: Contrary to the belief of every college football commentator, Charlie Weiss is NOT God.

D-Man
09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
This just in: Contrary to the belief of every college football commentator, Charlie Weiss is NOT God.

Amen. I just don't get the love for this guy. It must be the beergut and awful, Art Donovan-like haircut.

GAC--agree with nearly everything you said, except the Ginn comment. This guy is a lot like Barry Sanders in that he produces a lot of stinkers from game to game. But he has a lot of home run plays too, so you have to get him the ball 20 times a game for him to break one or two. Six to eight touches just isn't going to do it. . . He won't make an impact. Last year, Ginn produced listlessly until his big breakout games against Minnesota and Illinois. I'm not worried about him, but they need to get more creative in finding ways to get him the ball.

Unfortunately, this OSU team is turning into an ultra-conservative Jim Tressel team, c. 2002. The scariest quote from the postgame came from Troy Smith regarding his big play: "I did one of the things that coach [Jim Tressel] always says don't do, and that's reverse field."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2600312&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

So a supremely talented player did what he does best, and his coach instructs him NOT to use his talent like that??? Talk about a scary thought--Tressel has one of the most talented players in the nation, and he minimizes Smith's opportunity to make an impact. Anyone who watched the Michigan game last year could see that Smith WILL make plays, if you give him the opportunity and freedom to improvise. Nevertheless, I guess I have no reason to complain because the Buckeyes' W-L % under Tressel has been awesome in close, high-impact games.

I would like to see more rollout passes from Smith. His low-arc throws and medium stature just aren't enough to get the ball over 6'-5" linemen. Smith's tipped-ball interception could have been avoided if that play was a rollout.

That game at Michigan State looms much bigger than the Iowa one, IMO. Particularly if the weather is bad for that game. Michigan State's running game really looked in synch when the bad weather arrived in the 3rd quarter of last night's game (and notably, it disappeared after the rain stopped in the 4th quarter).

OnBaseMachine
09-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Charlie Weis needs a snotrag.

GAC
09-24-2006, 08:51 PM
GAC--agree with nearly everything you said, except the Ginn comment. This guy is a lot like Barry Sanders in that he produces a lot of stinkers from game to game. But he has a lot of home run plays too, so you have to get him the ball 20 times a game for him to break one or two. Six to eight touches just isn't going to do it. . . He won't make an impact. Last year, Ginn produced listlessly until his big breakout games against Minnesota and Illinois. I'm not worried about him, but they need to get more creative in finding ways to get him the ball.

Oh I'm not worried about Ted either. But my point is what you illustrate above - after last year, inwhich he gained such national recognition, he is seen as such a dangerous threat by the opposition that he is drawing that extra coverage. So it is harder to get him that amount of touches. But it does open up opportunities for the other guys (Gonzalez, Robiskie).

But as the season goes on, and the oposition possibly "takes their eyes" off of Ginn, because he has not been as effective, that is when Ginn will come back and burn you.

It's his special teams play that so far has disappointed me.

Unfortunately, this OSU team is turning into an ultra-conservative Jim Tressel team, c. 2002. The scariest quote from the postgame came from Troy Smith regarding his big play: "I did one of the things that coach [Jim Tressel] always says don't do, and that's reverse field."

Tresselball. But I don't think he is as conservative as in 2002.

captainmorgan07
09-24-2006, 08:53 PM
i was at the college gameday set after the game it was crazy atmosphere chanting at desmond howard

Caseyfan21
09-24-2006, 09:17 PM
So a supremely talented player did what he does best, and his coach instructs him NOT to use his talent like that??? Talk about a scary thought--Tressel has one of the most talented players in the nation, and he minimizes Smith's opportunity to make an impact. Anyone who watched the Michigan game last year could see that Smith WILL make plays, if you give him the opportunity and freedom to improvise. Nevertheless, I guess I have no reason to complain because the Buckeyes' W-L % under Tressel has been awesome in close, high-impact games.

I would like to see more rollout passes from Smith. His low-arc throws and medium stature just aren't enough to get the ball over 6'-5" linemen. Smith's tipped-ball interception could have been avoided if that play was a rollout.

That game at Michigan State looms much bigger than the Iowa one, IMO. Particularly if the weather is bad for that game. Michigan State's running game really looked in synch when the bad weather arrived in the 3rd quarter of last night's game (and notably, it disappeared after the rain stopped in the 4th quarter).

I agree with you 100% about the comments that Ginn and Smith need to be allowed more leash for creativity in the offense. I think Tressel is restricting them in his play calling. I mean, 99/100 times the Bucks will run the ball right up the gut the first play of a possesion.

However, yesterday was not the day to do that. I'm not sure if you were at the game, but after talking with some people who did watch the game on TV I guess the TV didn't do the playing conditions justice.

The field was an absolute mess. OSU painted the grass green for the game to cover up how bad the field actually looked. Two of my roommates are in TBDBITL and they said the field was terrible against UC last week when the weather was nice and they said it was almost unplayable yesterday. I guess pretty much all season they have been pouring sand onto the playing surface to try and save the grass until after the year. However, it got so bad that the grass is getting replaced this week.

Couple those field conditions with the rain and it was nasty. That was not the weather to let Troy and Ted make plays in. That is the type of weather to give Pittman and Wells the ball and let them grind it out. I think the Bucks game plan yesterday, while conservative, was warranted given the conditions.

The Bucks ability to win games in conditions like that are the reason I believe they are a better team than USC. There is no way USC could have won a game like yesterday given the conditions. I think it's incredibly silly for the talking heads from the networks to even try and say the Buckeyes win yesterday wasn't impressive enough. They didn't sit out in the rain for 3 hours and they weren't on that field.

I think as the season goes on the plays will be added in. I know for a fact Tressel won't put more creative plays in until the offense has mastered the basic formations. Tressel's policy is to start with the basic formation the first day of practice and not let the offense add in other plays and formations until the offense can execute the first play 100% of the time. While it restricts the offense early on in the year, that's why the offense always seems to be clicking at the end of the year. Usually in the first couple games the offense will only have 2-3 basic formations they run. I expect the offense will improve by the time it gets to Mich State and the other Big 10 games. It's getting through Iowa that scares me.

Caseyfan21
09-24-2006, 09:21 PM
i was at the college gameday set after the game it was crazy atmosphere chanting at desmond howard

I went to Gameday in the morning and we really gave it to Desmond. He even turned around and told us to be quiet at one point. I woke up at 7 am and was running on about 4 hours of sleep but it was definately worth it. I haven't really been able to talk all day today and yelling and cheering so much at Gameday and the game.

The Penn State series when they were backed up at the 1 yard line was the loudest I have heard the south stands in any game I've been to (I'm a junior and have gone to every game during school this year and the past two).

dman
09-24-2006, 10:23 PM
What I like seeing is unsung heroes like Gonzalez and Pittman pick up the slack left behind by guys like Ginn and Smith. This is where the Bucks really shine IMO.

GAC
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
This next game is gonna be the test folks! ;)

max venable
09-25-2006, 12:03 PM

I agree. I'm a little nervous about this one.

By the way...you guys see where Rutgers is now ranked in the top 25? Anybody believe Rutgers is a legitmate top 25 team? Let's see, they've beaten North Carolina, Ohio, Illinois, and Howard. Whatever.

Puffy
09-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Good to see them comeback against a team that isn't even in the top 25.

Charlie Weis- the second coming of Knute Rockne. :lol:

Yeah, Michigan State was 3-0 and sucked. At Michigan State. In a rivarly game. Yeah, throwing out that Michigan State wasn't in the top 25 is beautiful.

By the way, lets look at common opponents - how bout that GAC? Ohio State had an 8 point lead on Penn State with less than eight minutes to play while ND had a 38 point lead on Penn State with 8 minutes to play.

Yeah, not really relevant is it? Just as your "not in the top 25" dig wasn't either.

Reds Fanatic
09-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Big Ten night time road games always seem to be a problem for Ohio State. From Penn State last year, to games at Wisconsin and Northwestern in past years we always have problems with these night games on the road. So this week will be tough.

GAC
09-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, Michigan State was 3-0 and sucked. At Michigan State. In a rivarly game. Yeah, throwing out that Michigan State wasn't in the top 25 is beautiful.

By the way, lets look at common opponents - how bout that GAC? Ohio State had an 8 point lead on Penn State with less than eight minutes to play while ND had a 38 point lead on Penn State with 8 minutes to play.

Yeah, not really relevant is it? Just as your "not in the top 25" dig wasn't either.

I don't need to use MSU to take a dig at ND. :evil:

I thought they were over-rated last year, and believed it to be so this year.

Don't take it personally Puffy. I like ND no more then you care for OSU. ;)

BuckeyeRed27
09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Big Ten night time road games always seem to be a problem for Ohio State. From Penn State last year, to games at Wisconsin and Northwestern in past years we always have problems with these night games on the road. So this week will be tough.

The biggest difference this year is we have already played a road game at night this year. Should be a big help.

Bucks by 13.

guttle11
09-26-2006, 10:22 PM
The biggest difference this year is we have already played a road game at night this year. Should be a big help.

Bucks by 13.

Way, way, way to big a margin.

Bucks by 6, tops.

Cedric
09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Way, way, way to big a margin.

Bucks by 6, tops.

Just like @ Texas?

I'm going to be extremely surprised if this game is close. Iowa has inferior speed all over their defense and their Dline tops out at an average of 270 lbs. They can be run on and they will wear out.

Troy Smith won't have three average/subpar games in a row.

GAC
09-27-2006, 06:53 AM
In the Big Ten...

Scoring Offense

OSU 5th
Iowa 6th

Scoring Defense

OSU #1
Iowa #2

Pass Offense

OSU #2
Iowa #3

Pass Defense

OSU #3
Iowa #6

Rushing Offesne

Iowa #8 (151 yds/game)
OSU #10 (1139 yds/ game)

Rushing Defense

Iowa #4 (93 yds/game)
OSU #7 (115 yds/game)

Total Offense

OSU is 4th, Iowa 5th

Total Defense

Iowa 4th, OSU 6th

OSU is #1 in passing efficiency (162%)

Iowa is #1 in passing defense efficiency (90%)

What is interesting is when you look at the Big Ten individual leaders categories....

The game is gonna come down to just how good of a game Drew Tate has Vs Troy Smith. ;)

max venable
09-27-2006, 08:09 AM
GAC, look at who Iowa has played and look at who the Bucks have played.

bucksfan
09-27-2006, 09:40 AM
I am very nervous about this one too! What a big game (again)! I love college football. I have a bunch of respect for Iowa program in general. The day we beat them when they came into the Shoe ranked #1 with Chuck Long, et al will stay with me forever. That was so much fun.

I have tried to learn a long time ago not to lsten to what the talking heads were saying about the team's performance (any team really, not just the ones I follow). I thought the post-game comments from the tv crew about the Buckeye game were ridiculous. If you don't beat someone 95-4 (or whatever margin/performance standard is set for a given game) they hardly credit the victors. Caseyfan21's comments about field conditions, etc were right on the money IMO. It's almost as if intercepting a QB p[ass and running it back for a touchdown is somehow NOT a credit to your overall team ability, but throwing for 300 yds is. Buckeyes are not a perfect football team. Neither is anyone else.

max venable
09-27-2006, 02:42 PM
For some reason, the closer we get to this game, the more confident I feel. I realize that crazy stuff happens but the more I analyze this game the more convinced I am that the Bucks just have way too much talent for Iowa to handle.

Do we really think a night game at Iowa is going to be tougher than a night game at Texas? The Longhorns are a much better team than Iowa, IMO.

StillFunkyB
09-27-2006, 02:50 PM
For some reason, the closer we get to this game, the more confident I feel. I realize that crazy stuff happens but the more I analyze this game the more convinced I am that the Bucks just have way too much talent for Iowa to handle.

Do we really think a night game at Iowa is going to be tougher than a night game at Texas? The Longhorns are a much better team than Iowa, IMO.

They are, but the fact that Iowa is a Big Ten team is what gets us nervous. Maybe it's just that the John Cooper memories are still in the back of our minds. I get much more nervous about Big Ten matchups then I do with someone like Texas.

max venable
09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
And there's this, too...The Bucks are 0-3 in their last three Big Ten road openers.:shocked:

BuckeyeRed27
09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
And there's this, too...The Bucks are 0-3 in their last three Big Ten road openers.:shocked:

See and normally that would concern me, but like I said in my other post we have already played a road game and a night game.

The last three years this was the teams first road game and the first night game.

And we have a super sweet senior quarterback.

And I hate Drew Tate. That guy sucks a whole lot.

Caseyfan21
09-27-2006, 09:32 PM
This year has been different for me as a Bucks fan than the past few years. Even during the 2002 National Championship season I still felt worried going into big games.

This year, though, I have just felt confident the Bucks would win every game, even Texas and Penn State. Even at halftime against Penn State I felt like we were winning the game. I just feel this team is so good that they will always find a way to win.

All that being said, I am actually a little worried this week. I think it will be a very close game with the difference coming down to special teams and the kicking game. That really worries me a lot with the performance of the placekickers thus far. Hopefully the Buckeyes offense can come out early and put a quick score up. They need a big play early on to take the crowd out of it. If they get a big play early then I really like our chances. The atmosphere at that game Saturday night is going to be absolutely nuts.

GAC
09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
GAC, look at who Iowa has played and look at who the Bucks have played.

That's true.

But as others have already stated - this is a BIG TEN game. And it's also an away game. It's not gonna be a push-over.

OSU is 3-0; but their offense, other then the Texas game, has really struggled IMO and really hasn't played up to it's true potential.

And Drew Tate is experienced. It's gonna be a test of our defense.

Playadlc
09-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Just like @ Texas?

I'm going to be extremely surprised if this game is close. Iowa has inferior speed all over their defense and their Dline tops out at an average of 270 lbs. They can be run on and they will wear out.

Iowa's defense is phenomenal. Iowa has given up 3.8 yards per play in 4 games to teams that would average 5.2 yppl against an average defense.

I expect OSU to win with a score around 21-17, but if Tate plays to his past level, Iowa can pull the upset.

Heath
09-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Iowa's defense is phenomenal. Iowa has given up 3.8 yards per play in 4 games to teams that would average 5.2 yppl against an average defense.

I expect OSU to win with a score around 21-17, but if Tate plays to his past level, Iowa can pull the upset.

Iowa gave up close to 200 yards against Iowa State. It was at Kinnick.

Iowa's taking an early lead - but that's it. Bucks win going away.

max venable
09-28-2006, 10:09 PM

Again, look at who they've played:

Montana
Syracuse
Iowa St.
Illinois

I think they're in for a rude awakening.

max venable
09-28-2006, 10:11 PM
That's true.

But as others have already stated - this is a BIG TEN game. And it's also an away game. It's not gonna be a push-over.

OSU is 3-0; but their offense, other then the Texas game, has really struggled IMO and really hasn't played up to it's true potential.

And Drew Tate is experienced. It's gonna be a test of our defense.

I get the whole "Big Ten" thing. My point was just that the conference rankings can be thrown out the window based on each team's schedule.

As for the offense struggling...welcome to the Jim Tressel era. I don't think it's as much "struggling" as it is Tresselball. I think they can kick it into gear whenever they need to. They haven't even dipped into their bag 'o' tricks yet.

StillFunkyB
09-28-2006, 10:58 PM
This year has been different for me as a Bucks fan than the past few years. Even during the 2002 National Championship season I still felt worried going into big games.

This year, though, I have just felt confident the Bucks would win every game, even Texas and Penn State. Even at halftime against Penn State I felt like we were winning the game. I just feel this team is so good that they will always find a way to win.

All that being said, I am actually a little worried this week. I think it will be a very close game with the difference coming down to special teams and the kicking game. That really worries me a lot with the performance of the placekickers thus far. Hopefully the Buckeyes offense can come out early and put a quick score up. They need a big play early on to take the crowd out of it. If they get a big play early then I really like our chances. The atmosphere at that game Saturday night is going to be absolutely nuts.

You just stated exactly how I feel.

I was very confident going into the Texas game this year, whereas last year I was very worried. Overall, I feel alot more confident this year, even thought initially I was a little worried about the defense.

and Troy Smith IS SUPER SWEET!

Playadlc
09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Again, look at who they've played:

Montana
Syracuse
Iowa St.
Illinois

I think they're in for a rude awakening.

Those teams combined would average 5.2 yards per play against an average defense.

Iowa giving up only 3.8 yards per play to those teams combined shows how good their D is.

Mutaman
09-29-2006, 12:34 AM

Bucks by 13.

Boy, would I love to be your bookie. You obviously don't have much experience watching iowa on their home field. They usually come to play.

Cedric
09-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Those teams combined would average 5.2 yards per play against an average defense.

Iowa giving up only 3.8 yards per play to those teams combined shows how good their D is.

Iowa plays a very soft cover 4 and expects their MLB to cover way too much space. Unless they change their defensive scheme by Saturday night they are toast.

Barring a horrible game from Smith or the Oline.

BuckeyeRed27
09-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Boy, would I love to be your bookie. You obviously don't have much experience watching iowa on their home field. They usually come to play.

I have watched Iowa play twice this year. I have watched Ohio State play four times this year.

I have no doubt Iowa will come to play. And unless OSU plays poorly they will win by at least 13.

max venable
09-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Iowa plays a very soft cover 4 and expects their MLB to cover way too much space. Unless they change their defensive scheme by Saturday night they are toast.

Barring a horrible game from Smith or the Oline.

That is a great point.

Roy Tucker
09-29-2006, 08:09 AM
The other point I'll make about this being a Big 10 game is that all the conference teams are familiar with each other's schemes and tendencies. Unlike someone from out of conference like Texas.

So you're playing a familiar foe who knows your strengths and weaknesses and you know theirs. Its hard to sneak up on someone and surprise them with new wrinkles. Particularly with a team as well-coached as Iowa.

Chip R
09-29-2006, 09:46 AM
It's in the bag for tOSU. I heard that Ronnie Harmon is going to be Iowa's honorary captain.

guttle11
09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Ohio State muct first overcome that daunting pink locker room...

Red Leader
09-29-2006, 01:51 PM
No way Ohio State loses this game. It'll be a blowout.

max venable
09-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Bucks by at least 17 in this one. Let's revisit this thread Sunday so I can pat myself on the back again. :D

:D :D :D

BuckWoody
09-29-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm not as confident as some on here. That's probably due to my being conditioned to expect the worst throughout the 90's as a Bengals fan and a fan of the John Cooper led Buckeyes. :(

Ohio State in a close one, 23-17. :thumbup:

p.s. Are we just going to change the name of this thread every week and use it through the whole season? ;)

bucksfan
09-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not as confident as some on here. That's probably due to my being conditioned to expect the worst throughout the 90's as a Bengals fan and a fan of the John Cooper led Buckeyes. :(

p.s. Are we just going to change the name of this thread every week and use it through the whole season? ;)

I am also nervous, before every game. Any game can be a loss, especially one like this. Ont he other hand, even after a loss, I am "back at 'em" wiht the same fervency (is that a word?) regardles if we are 8-0 or 4-4. From my college experience I have seen plenty of multi-loss seasons and the games were STILL important and STILL abig deal, That;s what I love about college football.

That said I'll go 38-14 Bucks (if no serious rainfall) ;)

max venable
09-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Ont he other hand, even after a loss, I am "back at 'em" wiht the same fervency (is that a word?) regardles if we are 8-0 or 4-4.
That said I'll go 38-14 Bucks (if no serious rainfall) ;)

Fervor. Just tryin' to help. :D

And I'll be satisfied with a 38-14 final. :thumbup:

Go Bucks!

StillFunkyB
09-30-2006, 12:24 AM

I try to forget John Cooper and his "play not to lose" gameplan!

GAC
09-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Here is an interesting stat on Iowa (was in the USA Today)....

They are 0-10-1 whenever they have played the team ranked #1 in the Coaches/AP poll.

max venable
09-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Stuff to think about:

Iowa State had 171 yards rushing against Iowa. Think they're gonna be able to stop Pittman? The Bucks will pound Pittman at Iowa until they cry "uncle."

Iowa does not have a deep threat.

Ohio State has outscored their opponents 52-9 in the 4th quarter this year.

Iowa is starting 1st-year guys at the corner positions. Does anyone really think they can hang with Gonzo and Ginn?

Red Leader
09-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Does anyone really think they can hang with Gonzo and Ginn?

Not me. I still say it's easily a 2 TD victory for the Buckeyes.

BuckWoody
09-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Stuff to think about:

Iowa State had 171 yards rushing against Iowa. Think they're gonna be able to stop Pittman? The Bucks will pound Pittman at Iowa until they cry "uncle."

Iowa does not have a deep threat.

Ohio State has outscored their opponents 52-9 in the 4th quarter this year.

Iowa is starting 1st-year guys at the corner positions. Does anyone really think they can hang with Gonzo and Ginn?
OK, I'm feeling a little better...thanks Max. Still nervous, though. Just watching gameday on ESPN and the Hawkeye fans are going nuts and it's 10 hours before kickoff. They need to take the crowd out early.

I'm actually going to miss the game live tonight, we're headed up with friends to the Minster Oktoberfest. :beerme: I've got the TiVo on it, though. :thumbup:

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm actually going to miss the game live tonight,

You need to work on your priorities. ;)

Caseyfan21
09-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Here is an interesting stat on Iowa (was in the USA Today)....

They are 0-10-1 whenever they have played the team ranked #1 in the Coaches/AP poll.

Yeah, I had read that as well. I just hate stats like that. You can either think of it as they have no chance or they are due. :laugh:

Talking with lots of friends last night I think everyone I know at OSU is pretty much in agreement this will be a tough game. I don't mean to discredit those saying it will be a blowout but I will be shocked if either team wins by more than 10.

Here are a few reasons I think it will be close:

1.) Big 10 night game (OSU has struggled historically here)
2.) Atmosphere (Iowa is supposedly nuts about this game)
3.) OSU Offense - has not looked good the past few games
4.) Kicking game - OSU has struggled and it usually plays a key role in close games
5.) Big 10 game - Any team can beat any team and it's very tough to win on the road

I guess I have the pessimistic view of this game and I sure hope I am wrong and the Bucks win by 2 TD's.

Spring~Fields
09-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I am looking forward to Tressel mixing it up and opening up the running game tonight against Iowa to make the passing game click even more.

The competition that Iowa has played to date doesn't appear to have been much of a test for them, where Tressel might have played it close to his vest in a conservative manner considering Texas and Penn traditionally, even though those two had inexperienced quarterbacks. I will give the edge to Ohio State until their defense shows that they will give up more than an average of just 8 pts per game.

Red Leader
09-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Doesn't look like OSU is going to have to worry about rain, or even wind, in this game.

8pm Partly Cloudy
63°F 63°F 10% 46°F 54% From NW 4 mph

9pm Mostly Clear
59°F 59°F 10% 47°F 64% From NW 3 mph

10pm Mostly Clear
56°F 56°F 10% 47°F 72% From NW 1 mph

11pm Mostly Clear
54°F 54°F 10% 47°F 77% From WNW 2 mph

max venable
09-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Want more?

OSU is scoring an avg. of 31 pts. a game this year.

Iowa scores 28. And oh, have I mentioned that they haven't played anybody that's any good yet this year?

Ohio State's D has given up an avg. of 8 pts. a game this year, compared to Iowa's 11 pts. per game. And, oh yeah, so far they've played Illinois, Iowa St, Montana, Syracuse.

Iowa's leading receiver is their RB (more evidence that they don't have a deep threat).

Pittman averages 6.3 yards per carry, Iowa's dude: 4.1. An have I mentioned that Iowa hasn't played anyone yet.

Just sayin'.

GAC
09-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Want more?

OSU is scoring an avg. of 31 pts. a game this year.

Iowa scores 28. And oh, have I mentioned that they haven't played anybody that's any good yet this year?

Ohio State's D has given up an avg. of 8 pts. a game this year, compared to Iowa's 11 pts. per game. And, oh yeah, so far they've played Illinois, Iowa St, Montana, Syracuse.

Iowa's leading receiver is their RB (more evidence that they don't have a deep threat).

Pittman averages 6.3 yards per carry, Iowa's dude: 4.1. An have I mentioned that Iowa hasn't played anyone yet.

Just sayin'.

We better win this game...... or we're all coming after you! ;)

P.S. - I think we'll win it too. And by close to 2 TDs. Something inside of me just believes so.

The key to the game could be turnovers.

But Iowa is gonna have to go into this game with the same gameplan as Paterno - ball/clock control, and keep OSU's offense off the field.

Tate is a good (experienced) QB; but he doesn't have the weapons IMO to get involved with a shoot-out with the Bucks. They need to keep this game close to have a shot.

Spring~Fields
09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
We better win this game...... or we're all coming after you! ;)

Yes!
even I tried to disguise a watered down tactful approach, so as to not excite the football gods in favor of Iowa, and here MAX comes right out with the bold truth. :scared: Hopefully they did not notice.

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 06:21 PM
I think the Bucks will be in good shape as long as they score more points than Iowa. They usually win when they do that.

Matt700wlw
09-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Iowa looks like the Steelers.

That's enough to make me hate them :D

RedFanAlways1966
09-30-2006, 09:44 PM
OSU 21 - Iowa 10 at Halftime.

Pittman racking up the yards. Defense doing good (but not as good as we have seen in prev. games), although Iowa has gained some yards. OSU gets the 2nd Half kickoff. A good drive and points could really take the steam out of the crowd.

Go Bucks!

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 09:48 PM
OSU 21 - Iowa 10 at Halftime.

Pittman racking up the yards. Defense doing good (but not as good as we have seen in prev. games), although Iowa has gained some yards. OSU gets the 2nd Half kickoff. A good drive and points could really take the steam out of the crowd.

Go Bucks!

They're going to wear down Iowa in the 2nd half and win this one going away. Another strong 4th quarter should ice it.

traderumor
09-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Iowa has shown no ability to stop the Bucks O. As long as Tressel doesn't take the air out of the ball and we don't turn the ball over, we're in good shape.

GAC
09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
I came off the couch on that Iowa drive in the 1st quarter where they got the FG. The refs kept that drive alive with a couple bad calls IMO.... the PI call (where refs?), and then the call on the Inc pass, when it looked like a sack/fumble on Tate to me.

But Pittman having a heck of a game (really tearing up on that leftside).

I hope Iowa continues to make the mistake of throwing more, and not giving the running game a chance (which was working). It will prove to be a big mistake. Tate gets too emotional.

Lets see what adjustments Tressel makes in the 2nd half. He'll continue to punch away with Pittman and Wells.

GAC
09-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Anthony Gonzalez is da man! What a run! I thought he was gonna give up the 1st down.

28-10 Bucks!

RedFanAlways1966
09-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Anthony Gonzalez is da man! What a run! I thought he was gonna give up the 1st down.

28-10 Bucks!

Great run. That block at the 10-yd line was wicked... took out two Iowa players!

max venable
09-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Iowa just can't match up with the Bucks' speed and talent.

Go Bucks!

Chip R
09-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Iowa just can't match up with the Bucks' speed and talent.

Go Bucks!

Yep. tOSU is toying with them now.

traderumor
09-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Oh, you got to be kidding me!! Do the replay refs have any football experience at all? Ginn clearly had that ball. I like the replay concept, but not when you have clearly incompetent officials in the booth.

Cedric
09-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know why people continue to doubt the Buckeyes. They are clearly the best team in the nation.

Chip R
09-30-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't know why people continue to doubt the Buckeyes. They are clearly the best team in the nation.

If they have, they shouldn't anymore.

LoganBuck
09-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Have the rules changed about presnap motion? I have noticed Iowa's recievers are not becoming set prior to the snap on motion.

max venable
09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Of course, the Bucks can never make it easy for us fans. Here we go again...

...by the way, yeah, HORRIBLE call on the replay reversal. May have cost us 4 pts.

Chip R
09-30-2006, 11:17 PM
...by the way, yeah, HORRIBLE call on the replay reversal. May have cost us 4 pts.

So, instead of winning by 25, they are only winning by 21.

max venable
09-30-2006, 11:22 PM
The Buckeyes are 5-0, the Bengals are 3-0...pinch me.

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 11:23 PM
So, instead of winning by 25, they are only winning by 21.

I'll still take it, but that was a terrible call.

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 11:24 PM
The Buckeyes are 5-0, the Bengals are 3-0...pinch me.

5-0 and 4-0 at this time tomorrow.

Chip R
09-30-2006, 11:26 PM
I'll still take it, but that was a terrible call.

The Bucks must be pretty darn good to overcome those terrible calls on the road. Looks like only Michigan stands in their way to a return to the BCS Championship game.

traderumor
09-30-2006, 11:27 PM
The Hawkeyes fans had that deer in the headlights look and are still looking for the license number.

I cannot be happier to see Drew Tate get picked three times, after having the image of running around the field swinging his arms like some schoolgirl after having his career game two years ago. Payback complete.

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 11:30 PM
The Bucks must be pretty darn good to overcome those terrible calls on the road. Looks like only Michigan stands in their way to a return to the BCS Championship game.

Now how would this be for a scenario. Michigan gets bumped up to number 2 over the course of the season and all the other undefeated teams manage to lose one game. Then OSU beats Michigan but since there are no other undefeated teams, Michigan retains the number 2 and they would play in the title game. That would be something else. I don't think it would happen, but it would surely be something to see.

RedFanAlways1966
09-30-2006, 11:43 PM
They way things are looking OSU vs. Michigan could be a big game. Both teams have schedules that make for a possible undefeated matchup. If so it could be a #1 vs. #2-or#3 at that point. #1 vs. #2 in this game would have to make it one of the biggest "OSU-Mich" games ever... and a Championship Bowl semi-final match. Lots of games to be played though. We'll see.

BTW... Marcus Freeman, the linebacker (#1) who made the impressive interception, is from the HS where the yearbook-teacher-lady (see non-BB thread) teached. :D

Bucks looking impressive and no arguing their top-spot.... despite the 4 writers (2 for each) who vote Auburn #1 and USC #1 each week. Each who barely won this week. Those who do not vote OSU #1 at this point IMO should have their voting privelages suspended for favortism or ignorance!

MWM
09-30-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm going to toot my own horn. I said this on August 5:

I'm going to go on record as saying that Anthony Gonzalez is going to have a monster year this year.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1105553&postcount=40

Spring~Fields
09-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Great game. :)

Kudos to all of you that had the gumption to make a bold call, in calling it solidly for OSU, especially Max. :thumbup:

Caseyfan21
10-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, to echo others, great job by those calling for the Buckeye blowout. I thought it would be closer than it was but it definately could have been an even bigger win if Tressel had kept the passing game going.

Caseyfan21
10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Now how would this be for a scenario. Michigan gets bumped up to number 2 over the course of the season and all the other undefeated teams manage to lose one game. Then OSU beats Michigan but since there are no other undefeated teams, Michigan retains the number 2 and they would play in the title game. That would be something else. I don't think it would happen, but it would surely be something to see.

Won't happen. Someone will probably still be undefeated but even if it worked out as you said, Bucks will embarrass Michigan so bad Nov 18 voters would have to drop them much further down.

Chip R
10-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Won't happen. Someone will probably still be undefeated but even if it worked out as you said, Bucks will embarrass Michigan so bad Nov 18 voters would have to drop them much further down.

Even if tOSU and UM are undefeated, the loser will fall to at least 3rd. PLus there are conference championship games left to be played.

Chip R
10-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Bucks looking impressive and no arguing their top-spot.... despite the 4 writers (2 for each) who vote Auburn #1 and USC #1 each week. Each who barely won this week. Those who do not vote OSU #1 at this point IMO should have their voting privelages suspended for favortism or ignorance!

http://www.potkettleblack.com
;)

GAC
10-01-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm going to toot my own horn. I said this on August 5:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1105553&postcount=40

The kid is something else, that is for sure. Thoroughly impressed. Opponents are so worried about Ginn that they are going to have to rethink their strategy. But then, you can't contain them both. And then there is Robiskie. How Troy "squeezed" that last TD pass into him was simply amazing. ;)

But I want to say that I have really been impressed with Pittman this year. I think he has kinda been overlooked, as far as national recognition goes. He is coming into his own.

As far as running that reverse - doesn't bother me. You'll probably see Tressell run that play twice in a year. That was simply a practice run. This ain't Tresselball!

And any sportswriter/coaches that continues to give Auburn and/or USC #1 votes, when the new weekly poll comes out, are blind.

And I hope this shuts John Saunders and Craig James up! But I doubt it. Last week, they seemed to really be hoping for an OSU loss. ;)

Ohio State has defeated three ranked teams -- No. 2 Texas, No. 24 Penn State, and the Hawkeyes -- by an average margin of 20 points...... so they are making the point spreads.

Matt700wlw
10-01-2006, 01:03 PM
They way things are looking OSU vs. Michigan could be a big game.

It's always a big game

traderumor
10-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Won't happen. Someone will probably still be undefeated but even if it worked out as you said, Bucks will embarrass Michigan so bad Nov 18 voters would have to drop them much further down.I like that kind of thinking. Of course, either team could lose to someone they clearly should not. I say UM could have trouble ahead with Iowa at home and at Happy Valley, assuming JoePa has gotten over, er, his problem ;)

max venable
10-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Great game. :)

Kudos to all of you that had the gumption to make a bold call, in calling it solidly for OSU, especially Max. :thumbup:

I gladly accept positive reputation feedback :D

max venable
10-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Bucks by at least 17 in this one. Let's revisit this thread Sunday so I can pat myself on the back again. :D

D-Man
10-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Great game from Tressel--he never fails to deliver in a big game. I've been pretty critical of his playcalling and conservative style in the past, but he let his boys do their thing last night. He mixed up the formations, used Smith in the shotgun (I like it a lot because he gets better field vision back there). Tressel pounded the running game over the left side, and Iowa had no answer for that. Iowa was outcoached and outplayed. Even Brent Musberger offered acclaim for OSU (horror of horrors!!).

I can't say enough good things about Troy Smith. With Iowa in cover 2 zone all night, he took what the defense gave him, the short passes. He totally picked apart the defense in an efficient manner. I think it is fair to say he is the best OSU QB that I have seen in my lifetime. . . Those who watched Art Schlichter might disagree with me.

Drew Tate looked like a homeless man's Jake Plummer--i.e., not very good.

Props all around.

Mutaman
10-01-2006, 07:10 PM

Congradulations Max. Wait a minute, aren't you the same guy who had the bengals 28-13?

GAC
10-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Ohio State tightened its hold on No. 1

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2609572

Coming off another decisive victory over a ranked opponent, the Buckeyes received a season-high 62 first-place votes in The Associated Press Top 25 on Sunday.

Ohio State, No. 1 since the preseason, had 1,622 points in the media poll after beating Iowa 38-17 on Saturday.

With none of the teams in the top 10 losing last week, the first 10 spots in the poll were unchanged. No. 2 was Auburn followed by Southern California, West Virginia, Florida and Michigan at No. 6.

Auburn received one first-place vote, down one from last week, and West Virginia got two-first place votes. USC, which had two first-place votes in last week's Top 25, had none in the latest poll.

Auburn, which escaped with a 24-17 win at South Carolina last Thursday, increased its lead on USC by six points to 28. The Trojans also had a close call on the road, beating Washington State 28-22. Auburn beat Washington State at home 40-14 to open the season.

Texas, LSU, Louisville and Georgia rounded out the top 10.

Two of the Southeastern Conference's four top 10 teams will meet Saturday, when No. 5 Florida hosts No. 9 LSU.

In the USA Today coaches' poll, No. 1 Ohio State was followed by USC at No. 2 and Auburn at No. 3. West Virginia was fourth and Florida fifth.

In the Harris poll, Ohio State, USC and Auburn took the top three spots. Michigan followed at No. 4 and West Virginia and Florida are tied for fifth

traderumor
10-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Texas, LSU, Louisville and Georgia rounded out the top 10.
Georgia, talk about winning ugly two straight weeks. They win yesterday 7-3 against Ole Miss. Kick 'em out.

WVPacman
10-02-2006, 12:07 AM
What I don't understand is how USC can stay at 3 when they just won by six points.They droped WVU the first week of the season after they demolished Marshall.The same gos with Auburn they just squeeked out a win.:bang:

max venable
10-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Congradulations Max. Wait a minute, aren't you the same guy who had the bengals 28-13?
:oops:

GAC
10-02-2006, 08:04 AM
What I don't understand is how USC can stay at 3 when they just won by six points.They droped WVU the first week of the season after they demolished Marshall.The same gos with Auburn they just squeeked out a win.:bang:

USC man-love ;)

RedFanAlways1966
10-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Auburn received one first-place vote, down one from last week, and West Virginia got two-first place votes. USC, which had two first-place votes in last week's Top 25, had none in the latest poll.

Here I go again...

Anti-OSU, a hatred for the Big 10 or pure favortism? Auburn and/or WVU better at this point than Ohio State?!? It is a joke, right? :laugh:

West Virginia as #1 at this point!?!? No offense to Mountaineer fans, but there is no way they should be ranked higher than OSU. No way! They have played and beat Marshall, Eastern Washington, Maryland and East Carolina.... none are ranked. Cannot blame the Mountaineer players for their pancake schedule, but scheduling SHOULD factor into a ranking IMO.

Auburn as #1 at this point?!?! No offense to the War Eagle, but there is no way they should be ranked higher than OSU. No way! They managed 7 points and a 7-3 win AT HOME against LSU. They barely (BARELY) survived against a not-at-all-strong South Carolina team this past Thursday. I have a cousin who is a big-time Auburn fan (he grew up 50 miles from the campus). Even he says there is no freakin' way that Auburn is at OSU's level.

Oh well! Nothin' new with this whole thing. GRRR!

Unassisted
10-02-2006, 10:25 AM
What I don't understand is how USC can stay at 3 when they just won by six points.
The rules are that you have to lose to drop in the polls, unless Notre Dame has a good win and then they get to jump over whoever's in the spot or two above them. :evil:

BuckWoody
10-02-2006, 12:56 PM
You need to work on your priorities. ;)
No worries. After the rain washed us away up at Minster on Saturday night, we headed home and watched the game in its entirety. I finished up at about 2:00 AM. :thumbup:

What a great statement win by the Buckeyes. Kudos to Max, Cedric, et al for the prescient confidence. I just thought it had all the earmarks of last year's Penn State game. Obviously Iowa doesn't have the defense that that Penn State team had and tOSU football team has improved since then too. In this case, it was good to be wrong.

Got good seats for this week's Bowling Green game. I'm headed over with Dad and we can't wait! Go Bucks!!! :beerme:

edit -->> Fixed for Cedric.

Cedric
10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Just like @ Texas?

I'm sick of Max getting all the credit. I'm a genius also.

GAC
10-02-2006, 03:32 PM
No worries. After the rain washed us away up at Minster on Saturday night, we headed home and watched the game in its entirety. I finished up at about 2:00 AM. :thumbup:

I had several co-workers who were up there for the Oktoberfest. They never made it into work Sunday night, and I wonder why? ;)

BuckWoody
10-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I had several co-workers who were up there for the Oktoberfest. They never made it into work Sunday night, and I wonder why? ;)
:laugh:
There were a ton of people up there sporting the Scarlet and Gray. They even had the game on in one of the tents but we were too far away to see much. We could tell what was going on by the reaction of the crowd though.

WVPacman
10-02-2006, 11:54 PM
West Virginia as #1 at this point!?!? No offense to Mountaineer fans, but there is no way they should be ranked higher than OSU. No way! They have played and beat Marshall, Eastern Washington, Maryland and East Carolina.... none are ranked. Cannot blame the Mountaineer players for their pancake schedule, but scheduling SHOULD factor into a ranking IMO.

Who said that? I never b/c OSU deserves to be #1.As far as our schedule goes yes your right our schedule is weak and you are also right about the players for the schedule.I think the whole WVU organzation can't be blamed on the scheduling b/c they did'nt tell Miami,VT,BC,and now Maryland to drop us off the schedule.The only reason they droped us was b/c they were and still our afraid of us.

guttle11
10-03-2006, 01:06 AM
Who said that? I never b/c OSU deserves to be #1.As far as our schedule goes yes your right our schedule is weak and you are also right about the players for the schedule.I think the whole WVU organzation can't be blamed on the scheduling b/c they did'nt tell Miami,VT,BC,and now Maryland to drop us off the schedule.The only reason they droped us was b/c they were and still our afraid of us.

No, it's because there's more money in the Big East. I like what WVU is building, but they won't be serious national Title contenders until they beef up the schedule. Go play ND, Penn State, Michigan State, NC State...etc.

I hope they do it.

WVPacman
10-03-2006, 01:10 AM
WVU,I think has a home and home series with Flordia St starting next year but I an't for sure.I also think they are trying to get a home and home series with Auburn.

Caseyfan21
10-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Big game this weekend...eh?

I heard through a friend that the practice yesterday was pretty brutal. I guess Tressel must have felt the guys weren't focused enough so he ran them pretty hard, like summer practice hard.

Hopefully there won't be any let downs.

The only streak I think the Bucks will lose this weekend is their streak of covering every spread for the last 12 games. Last I heard the spread was something like 34. I can't see conservative Tressell ball running up the score that much unless the defense pitches a shutout.

RedFanAlways1966
10-05-2006, 07:59 AM
I heard through a friend that the practice yesterday was pretty brutal. I guess Tressel must have felt the guys weren't focused enough so he ran them pretty hard, like summer practice hard.

I can hear Coach Tressel now, "Gentlemen, there will not be another Univ. of Cincinnati type of start in this game. Just to make sure you have not forgotten that game, start running and don't stop until you feel yesterday's lunch begging to see the light of day again."

:devil: