PDA

View Full Version : Tracy Jones Makes On Air Offer To Reds

goreds2
09-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I recorded Tracy Jones yesterday. I just heard the end of his show. He said he is putting his name out there. Before signing off he said he would take a three year contract at $1500 a game to announce with Marty.

Joseph
09-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Let's just hope they don't accept.

RBA
09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Not enough! Jones would have to give me $3000 a game to listen to him. ;)

Strikes Out Looking
09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
I just did the math, not including spring training, that's $243,000 to be the Reds announcer. Not a bad deal for him. For us, no deal.

MrCinatit
09-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Tracy Jones thinks very highly of himself, doesn't he?
Too bad he is in the minority

steig
09-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I'll make an offer to the Reds also and I'll come in at a lower price than that.

marcshoe
09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Tracy Jones thinks very highly of himself, doesn't he?
Too bad he is in the minority

I'm quite happy that he is in the minority. Otherwise, there might be a chance the Reds would accept his offer.

And while you can watch tv with the sound turned off, it's harder to listen to the radio with the sound turned off.

MaineRed
09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Any chance of Paul O'Neil? He sounded great doing Yankee games and, he played the game.

Razor Shines
09-25-2006, 08:39 PM
He said earlier this year that Steve is getting between $1250 - $1500 a game. I like Tracey and I hope he is in the booth with Marty next year. I know I am in the minority, but I don't care.

redsfanfalcon
09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Any chance of Paul O'Neil? He sounded great doing Yankee games and, he played the game.

He would be a good choice too. Heck, I played the game too, just not at the Major League level! (it ended after a brief stint in college!)

Superdude
09-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Why don't you guys like the tracer? I'd love it if he got the job. I don't really care if his opinions are right or not, at least he's entertaining. That's all I want. You never learn anything interesting anyway from a radio broadcast.

I personally wish Rod got the job. I'd listen to every game if they signed him.

goreds2
09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Why don't you guys like the tracer? I'd love it if he got the job. I don't really care if his opinions are right or not, at least he's entertaining. That's all I want. You never learn anything interesting anyway from a radio broadcast.

I personally wish Rod got the job. I'd listen to every game if they signed him.

Everytime Marty would ask Rod a question, Rod would of course respond......"WEELLLL"
:laugh:

I would like to see Tracy get the job also. We would get to hear him 6-7 days a week instead of 2-3. :)

Heath
09-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I would like to see Tracy get the job also. We would get to hear him 6-7 days a week instead of 2-3. :)

And this is positive how?

I'll take $500/game to work with Marty - and Tracy can pay me $1500 to listen to me. :D

Caseyfan21
09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
I'll do it for free...too bad the previous regime isn't still here or I'd be a front runner for sure.

REDREAD
09-25-2006, 10:12 PM
He said earlier this year that Steve is getting between $1250 - $1500 a game. I like him and I think I hope he is in the booth with Marty next year. I know I am in the minority, but I don't care.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they've already said Steve is definitely not coming back. There's a thread on here if you want more details.

gilpdawg
09-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Everytime Marty would ask Rod a question, Rod would of course respond......"WEELLLL"

I just can't understand how a good old O&A pest can listen to that hack Tracy Jones, and enjoy it.:D

lo ryder
09-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Best of luck TJ, lets liven things up. :beerme:

MartyFan
09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
I can't determine which is more pathetic...that Tracey Jones pimped himself out on air or that you are recording his "show"...HE SUCKS!

TeamBoone
09-25-2006, 11:54 PM
I hope he was joking... that's a pretty steep price. Actually, I doubt Marty makes that much!

TeamBoone
09-25-2006, 11:55 PM
He said earlier this year that Steve is getting between $1250 - $1500 a game. I like him and I think I hope he is in the booth with Marty next year. I know I am in the minority, but I don't care.

I like Steve too and wish he wasn't leaving.

But wow! I can't believe he's making that much.

TeamBoone
09-25-2006, 11:56 PM

Oh that would be just great. I hope we are spared.

WMR
09-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Tracy Jones tries to be outrageous, but he usually just ends up sounding like a buffoon who has no idea how to do an actual radio show.

Razor Shines
09-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they've already said Steve is definitely not coming back. There's a thread on here if you want more details.

Yes I realize that, I also realize my post wasn't very clear. While I do like Steve and would like to see him come back, I was saying I like Tracey Jones and would like to hear him in the booth with Marty next year. That is the part I think I puts me in the minority.

KronoRed
09-26-2006, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't give him 1500 for the entire season.

Heath
09-26-2006, 07:12 AM
I like Steve too and wish he wasn't leaving.

But wow! I can't believe he's making that much.

1500/game x 140 games (since Joe did some) = 210,000

1500/game / 5 hours of airtime = $300/hour.

Wow.

BTW - Tracy Jones - thanks for spilling out what Steve Stewart makes. I'm sure as a former professional (and that term is loose) financial advisor that giving away salary information publicly is a good idea.

goreds2
09-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I just can't understand how a good old O&A pest can listen to that hack Tracy Jones, and enjoy it.:D

theGman
09-26-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't mind Steve Stewart. I would like him to slide to television to take over for George Grande.

Unassisted
09-26-2006, 11:49 AM
If that happens, there won't be anyone in the booth who likes any of the Reds' players. The Reds might as well use the other teams' broadcasters. ;)

membengal
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Not enough! Jones would have to give me $3000 a game to listen to him. ;)

Rock. solid.

Slyder
09-26-2006, 12:21 PM
two can play this game. I would like to throw my name in the hat. I would take a deal that pays just $750 a game and help me get settled in Cincy I would like to take the job. LOL.

KronoRed
09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Bidding war eh?

I'll work for 500 a game, and I already live here :D

dougdirt
09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
seriously, if Tracy Jones were to get the job, I would not listen to games on the radio that werent on tv. I would follow on mlb.com gamecast first.

Razor Shines
09-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Well I would listen even to games that are on TV, 3 second delay be darned.

goreds2
09-26-2006, 10:50 PM
If the Reds keep winning, The Tracy Jones Show will be interesting this weekend. (Friday and Sunday)

Maybe "Rod" and his son "JR." will make the trip to Pittsburgh. ;)

Ron Madden
09-27-2006, 06:03 AM
I listen to every Reds game, always have.

That would come to a Screeching Halt with Marty and Tracy calling PBP. :cry:

OldRightHander
09-27-2006, 06:11 AM
I wouldn't give him 1500 for the entire season.

They could pay him 1500 a game to keep his mouth shut.

RedsBaron
09-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Tracey Jones would be too busy proclaiming that he "played the game" to actually tell listeners what was going on in the game he was supposed to be broadcasting.
Jones is such an incompetent egotistical moron that I am surprised he hasn't already been hired by ESPN.

mth123
09-27-2006, 06:49 AM
I think Tracy Jones and the Banana Phone crowd are made for each other. But having Tracy on during the actual playing of the game, eewwww.

RedsBaron
09-27-2006, 09:10 AM
I generally advocate civility on this board, even when discussing players, management, etc., so I have reconsidered my prior post wherein I called Tracy Jones an incompetent egotistical moron. I would like to amend that post---I left off " pompous jackass."
Last month I listended to Jones's radio show while I was driving home from a Reds game with my two older sons. I lost track of how many times Jones announced that he "played the game" as the justification for why he believed that listeners should apparently believe whatever he said without question.
Yes, Jones "played the game" in the majors. He also played the game poorly. Bob Costas and Vin Scully and Marty Brennanman and a host of other announcers didn't "play the game" but they do know how to be a broadcaster and have displayed some talent for the job.

HalMorrisRules
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I hope he was joking... that's a pretty steep price. Actually, I doubt Marty makes that much!

Back in 1992, I had several opportunities to talk with a sports director of a radio station that carried Reds games. He told me that he had been told that the Colorado Rockies had tried to hire Marty to be their broadcaster. They wanted him to add some credibility to their inaugural broadcasting team. I was told that the Reds counter offered with $750,000 and Marty stayed. If I remember right, he had heard that Marty hadnt seriously considered the Rockies' offer but the Reds didnt want to take a chance on losing him.

ol'Sparky
09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Tracy Jones wasn't able to hold Kal "Jack" Daniels jockstrap !!

Chip R
09-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Back in 1992, I had several opportunities to talk with a sports director of a radio station that carried Reds games. He told me that he had been told that the Colorado Rockies had tried to hire Marty to be their broadcaster. They wanted him to add some credibility to their inaugural broadcasting team. I was told that the Reds counter offered with $750,000 and Marty stayed. If I remember right, he had heard that Marty hadnt seriously considered the Rockies' offer but the Reds didnt want to take a chance on losing him.

Marty would have loved what the altitude would do for his golf game.

goreds2
09-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Marty would have loved what the altitude would do for his golf game.:laugh:

REDREAD
09-27-2006, 12:21 PM

Wow, life (and baseball) certainly has been good to Marty, you wouldn't be able to tell by the way he broadcasts the games sometimes.

Newman4
09-27-2006, 05:27 PM
If you're not good enough get paid $200,000 for playing baseball for the Reds, I guess you try to get them to pay you that for announcing, huh Tracer? :D He's terrible at both.

bucksfan
09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't think I'd like Tracy in the booth either. However, the salary for the broadcaster for a major league baseball team does not surprise me in the least to be well over 200K. I have no clue on the market in this area, I grant you, but I would certainly expect that major league baseball teams would pay a very decebnt amount to the "voices" of their franchises. If qualified for the job, the salary level he mentions that Steve makes seems reasonable to me. I also think pilots & policemen should make more money than they do. Maybe I just think everyone should make more money!!

Ron Madden
09-28-2006, 02:36 AM

OUCH!!

Another case of our front office jumping the gun and over paying for an over rated talent.

beb30
09-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Steve is pretty much the worst announcer ever, I've never seen anyone make baseball more boring than it already is (you know its true). He never has any excitement in his voice and is completely monotone the entire time.

I really like TJ and hope he is in the booth with Marty

goreds2
09-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I am sure a lot of you are HEART BROKEN that the TRACY Jones EXTRA INNINGS show is no longer on this season. :laugh:

Here is who is hosting after tonights game. Has anyone heard of him?

10PM-MIDNIGHT EXTRA INNINGS WITH MO EGGER
Your calls…after the game.

www.700wlw.com

Red Leader
09-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Re: Tracy Jones makes on air offer to Reds.

I would like the Reds to offer an on air rejection to Tracy.