PDA

View Full Version : Milton Next Year?

Superdude
09-25-2006, 09:04 PM
5.19ERA 5.31K/9 2.48BB/9 1.71HR/9

I guess he doesn't walk many guys? The only issue is that he doesn't strike anyone out and gives up almost a couple homers a game. :rolleyes: Is he really gonna be given the chance to screw us every 5 days again next year or can we finally end this horrible Dan O' memory?

We better find a starter this offseason. Especially if Bailey starts at Lousville

SeeinRed
09-25-2006, 09:08 PM
I think that if he can stay clear of injury, he is a decent pitcher. I'm starting to think more and more that his inflated numbers are due largely to injury, and the fact that he can't stay away from them. I don't think we know about all of his injuries. Now though, he definately isn't worth the price. Forgetting about the money, a healthy Milton is a decent 4th or 5th starter.

joshnky
09-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Its not about giving him the chance so much as we're stuck with him. You can't DFA that contract.

RedFanAlways1966
09-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Just for fun... if we remove 2 starts from Milton's numbers this season, then he has a 4.41 ERA. Also has 14 quality starts in 24 starts. Those two starts... right before the April knee surgery and the last start which saw his season end with an elbow problem. Still definitely not worth the contract he has. But two injured(?) starts that caused tha ERA to go up 0.76 points (15% raise).

Two less QS than Harang in 8 less games started. Definitely not screwing the team every 5 days. The contract given by the former regime is the real screw.

mth123
09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Just for fun... if we remove 2 starts from Milton's numbers this season, then he has a 4.41 ERA. Also has 14 quality starts in 24 starts. Those two starts... right before the April knee surgery and the last start which saw his season end with an elbow problem. Still definitely not worth the contract he has. But two injured(?) starts that caused tha ERA to go up 0.76 points (15% raise).

Two less QS than Harang in 8 less games started. Definitely not screwing the team every 5 days. The contract given by the former regime is the real screw.

Agree. There aren't enough starters to go around. You can pay him to be some one else's #4 and get a lesser guy on the cheap (but it solves nothing and saves no $). You could sign some one to replace him who will probably cost nearly as much and be only slightly if any better (and now no money left for anything else). Or you could maximize the salvage value by keeping him until mid-2007, unloading a portion of his remaining contract and getting a mid-level prospect to boot. Milton would have been the best starter on the market this year. Maddux was better but only had a couple of teams he would go to. This isn't Milton love. Just a real assessment of the state of pitching and our options right now. There are no real internal candidates and the contract is in place and can't be undone. He's not blocking anyone.

Kc61
09-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Is there a way to keep Milton, but pitch him only in road games?

Not good numbers at GABP.

BRM
09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Is there a way to keep Milton, but pitch him only in road games?

Not good numbers at GABP.

He doesn't pitch particularly well on the road either.

redsmetz
09-26-2006, 01:54 PM

Exactly! I've been trying to say this all year. Healthy, he's been a decent starter for us. Whether he can come back from this injury to his peak for this year. Of course, too, regarding the contract, it's not his fault Dan fell all over himself giving him the money. And I will say this, Milton has been as standup as anyone I've seen when things weren't going his way. No excuses. If he's still here, I want him to do well (as I know most here do). Whether that's possible, it's hard to say.

Strikes Out Looking
09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I can't believe I'm defending Milton, but you should also take out that game this summer when the Narron pulled a Grady Little in the seventh inning and Milton gave up a three-run homer to basically lose the game.

flyer85
09-26-2006, 03:59 PM
You can't DFA that contract.why not?

IslandRed
09-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Since we're paying him anyway, if Milton is our #5 and he pitches like he did this year, we could do worse. We DID do worse. Most teams do. The problem is if he's our #3 starter...