PDA

View Full Version : Fun with HS yearbooks

dabvu2498
09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
'Report card' in yearbook stirs Wayne High
School suspends distribution until it can cover the offending page. Now-retired adviser suspected of having a role.
By Valryn Warren

Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

HUBER HEIGHTS Wayne High School students and staff members found a surprise report card in their yearbooks.

The next-to-last page of the 2005-06 yearbook has a half-page "report card" giving the administration an F, with the comment "Failure to support staff, inconsistant (sic) lack of preparation, make Wayne a place people want to escape rather then a place they feel respected and safe."

"Students in general" received a C and the remarks "improvement needed, lack of effort, do not pay attention, more study time needed."

Huber Heights Superintendent William Kirby said the district stopped distributing about half of the approximately 400 yearbooks late last week when the mock report card was discovered.

The district is trying to find out if the page can be covered. Tearing out the page presents a problem; the back is a memorial page for students Ian Bailey and Joey Bruce, who died in an auto crash last year.

"A yearbook is supposed to be a fond memory for students," Kirby said. "We have some students upset and some staff upset to think a fellow teacher would do this."

Kirby said it appears to be the work of yearbook adviser and 30-year English teacher Jeanne Sterling, who is pictured in the background of the pseudo-report card, which has her name on it. She retired at the end of last year.

Kirby said the district has called a lawyer, is checking with yearbook distributor Jostens to see who signed off on the yearbook.

Wayne principal John Allen, who is out of town, will be calling Sterling to verify that she wrote and submitted the piece.

Sterling, contacted at her home in Brookville, said, "I have no comment" and ended the call.

"It's just unfortunate that an adviser and teacher would take advantage of her position with the yearbook and use a student publication to voice her dissatisfaction," Kirby said. "This is supposed to be a fond memory for students."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2006/09/25/ddn092606yearbook.html

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/09/35/96/image_4796359.jpg

Hap
09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
What are interrutions? Are they anything at all like interruptions? They said that the teachers "performed to the best of their abilities despite all the constant 'interrutions'."

dabvu2498
09-26-2006, 02:11 PM
What are interrutions? Are they anything at all like interruptions? They said that the teachers "performed to the best of their abilities despite all the constant 'interrutions'."

The English teacher's spell-check wasn't working.

Also... who hires Roy Orbison to teach HS English??? :cool:

15fan
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
On one hand, I can see why folks might be upset.

But on the other...it's a high school yearbook. It's about as useful as an appendix.

I'm painting with a broad brush here, but IMO, he only folks who care about high school yearbooks are the folks who typically stop growing intellectually, socially, emotionally and professionally once they have their high school diploma. If my life was defined by the "good times" that I had as a 16 year old, that would be a pretty sad commentary on my life.

Roy Tucker
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
John Allen is the principal at Wayne?

I think it's a little funny, but then, I've got a juvenile sense of humor.

I guess this retired teacher isn't planning on getting any recommendations from her former employer.

Johnny Footstool
09-26-2006, 03:24 PM
On one hand, I can see why folks might be upset.

But on the other...it's a high school yearbook. It's about as useful as an appendix.

I'm painting with a broad brush here, but IMO, he only folks who care about high school yearbooks are the folks who typically stop growing intellectually, socially, emotionally and professionally once they have their high school diploma. If my life was defined by the "good times" that I had as a 16 year old, that would be a pretty sad commentary on my life.

The people who worked on them generally care a great deal about them. It's usually a student's first "published" work, and for many it represents an accomplishment more tangible than good grades or throwing a touchdown pass.

That said, other students generally look at their yearbooks three times: after college graduation, during their 10-year reunion, and right before their own children start high school.

HotCorner
09-26-2006, 04:50 PM
All this is missing is her flipping the bird in the picture.

max venable
09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
That teacher needs to give herself an F for the page. Typos and misspellings. Who did sign off on it? :rolleyes:

Heath
09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Funny thing - and not really when it comes down to it - this School System had a nasty public teachers strike that took out the first 8 days of school. To add this to the fire is akin to pouring millions of gallons of rocket fuel on the wildfires in California.

Its gonna get nasty before its gets better again in Huber Heights.

ghettochild
09-26-2006, 06:18 PM
good prank ;)

Chip R
09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Also... who hires Roy Orbison to teach HS English??? :cool:

Only the lonely. ;)

KittyDuran
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Also... who hires Roy Orbison to teach HS English???
Pretty Woman :beerme:

RadfordVA
09-30-2006, 12:40 AM
You should never piss off Beano Cook. Surprise he didn't put go Notre Dame in there.

RedFanAlways1966
09-30-2006, 01:49 PM
One word describes this... selfish. This loser was selfish. As Heath mentioned there was a "nasty" (very public in Dayton) strike by the teachers at Wayne. Obviously the strike and contract were issues when Ms. Selfish sent the thing for publication. Make no mistake that this was her way to get back. She took an opportunity to get her 2 cents in with no regard for the parents/students who value a yearbook and pay good money for it.

On the bright side... it is good that she has retired. This is not the kind of person that needs to be teaching her underhandedness to students.

KittyDuran
09-30-2006, 03:26 PM
One word describes this... selfish. This loser was selfish. As Heath mentioned there was a "nasty" (very public in Dayton) strike by the teachers at Wayne. Obviously the strike and contract were issues when Ms. Selfish sent the thing for publication. Make no mistake that this was her way to get back. She took an opportunity to get her 2 cents in with no regard for the parents/students who value a yearbook and pay good money for it.

On the bright side... it is good that she has retired. This is not the kind of person that needs to be teaching her underhandedness to students.Well alrighty then.... NOW if I can find my yearbooks. I personally thought it was a hoot that this went without notice until

Huber Heights Superintendent William Kirby said the district stopped distributing about half of the approximately 400 yearbooks late last week when the mock report card was discovered.

No wonder the the administration got an "F".

[BTW, I'm sure my yearbooks are stashed away some in some cubby hole collecting dust and forgotten - HS was the worst 4 years of my life :thumbdown ]

Heath
09-30-2006, 07:32 PM

On the bright side... it is good that she has retired. This is not the kind of person that needs to be teaching her underhandedness to students.

BTW - I don't think she would have done it UNLESS she did retire.

cincinnati chili
10-01-2006, 08:57 AM
In my senior year high school yearbook, a group of students did a page where the first letter of each line spelled out F...U...C...K.... and the then teacher's name. You couldn't really see it iunless you looked closely. About a week after publication, the teacher saw it. He didn't ask the school to pull the yearbooks, punish the kids, etc. He just pulled them all into a room, chewed them out, and said "Don't ever count on me for a letter of recommendation, and I've notified all members of the faculty encouraging them to do the same." Some of the people involved were not seniors yet, so this greatly limited the pool of teachers from which they could get college recommendations. The seniors involved, other than getting chewed out, pretty much got off.

My last year in Cincinnati was 9th grade (1987). I went to Walnut Hills that year. There was a pretty messy prank with the yearbook that year. Somebody managed to remove a kid's senior quote from the submission box and submit a quote FOR HIM. That quote was:

"People should not be judged by their sexual preference."

The perpetrator(s) was never caught.

KittyDuran
10-01-2006, 01:29 PM
This is not about a yearbook but about a newsletter published in house in junior high. Most of the time someone in the staff just signed off on it without reading the content. The kids knew this and one time put in some hilarious and nasty things about certain teachers. The kids on the publishing staff were all reprimanded and that project pretty much came to a halt. At least there was nothing when I went to the same junior high 3 years later.