PDA

View Full Version : IF we are able to pull off a miracle this last week of the season

crazybob60
09-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I know that that is a BIG IF...but if we are able to pull off the miracle this last week of the season and win out and the Astros and Cardinals basically lose the rest of their games, yes it seems improbably but hey this is the real life and anything can happen....where would this rank in the history of Reds baseball of some of the greater things that have happened??? I know it doesn't rank up there with some of the World Series and/or Pete Rose's 4192...but where exactly would this fall? Just curious....

flyer85
09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
probably not because nobody seems to care. The Reds would just be embarrassed by 15K of empty seats for a playoff game.

paulrichjr
09-26-2006, 11:11 PM
probably not because nobody seems to care. The Reds would just be embarrassed by 15K of empty seats for a playoff game.

Would you blame most people when in reality the Reds gave up a month ago? This team could easily be in first place right now if they hadn't given up. The really sad thing is that before Milton went down I felt that we had a decent 1-3 pitching staff. Yes Milton was the weak link but he kept us in the game. Even if we won every game from here out we would be minus a lot of players that we would need for the playoffs including Milton, Griffey and Freel.

Topcat
09-26-2006, 11:20 PM
A person would have to look closely at why we are winning games at this time of year ? Thank you Mr. Ross, Deno, Norris and *ack* cough* Clayton and the work of the Pen.

goreds2
09-26-2006, 11:27 PM
I have been keeping up with the Reds since 1974. My favorite down to the wire regular season was 1979 when we came back from 10 games out in mid July to beat out Houston. This was also the first season without Sparky and Pete.

This down to the wire run would rank 3rd behind 1979 and 1990.

jmac
09-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Would you blame most people when in reality the Reds gave up a month ago? This team could easily be in first place right now if they hadn't given up. The really sad thing is that before Milton went down I felt that we had a decent 1-3 pitching staff. Yes Milton was the weak link but he kept us in the game. Even if we won every game from here out we would be minus a lot of players that we would need for the playoffs including Milton, Griffey and Freel.

the reds gave up ? hmmm or maybe they went thru a rough stretch of losing !there is a difference.in your terms i guess the stl cards have given up because they are going thru this stretch now.
simply put...by many fans standards , when a team loses late in the season they "give up" when in actuality ...they lost a game(s).
tho i have questioned narron's choices at times....i have still seen a competitive spirit in the guys.we dont have a qualls,lidge,wheeler,or miller in our bp but guess what....we are one game back of the stros !not bad for a team that gave up a month ago:cool:

cincy jacket
09-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Just a gut feeling but if we make the playoffs Ryan Freel will be starting game one in RF. Broken thumb or not I seriouslly doubt you are going to keep him out of the line-up.

crazybob60
09-27-2006, 01:25 AM
the reds gave up ? hmmm or maybe they went thru a rough stretch of losing !there is a difference.in your terms i guess the stl cards have given up because they are going thru this stretch now.
simply put...by many fans standards , when a team loses late in the season they "give up" when in actuality ...they lost a game(s).
tho i have questioned narron's choices at times....i have still seen a competitive spirit in the guys.we dont have a qualls,lidge,wheeler,or miller in our bp but guess what....we are one game back of the stros !not bad for a team that gave up a month ago:cool:

This thread picked up a tad bit of steam, regardless, the Cardinals this season are seriously one of the streakest teams that I have seen in quite some time. They either win a whole of games in a row or lose (in excess of 5 games sometimes) a whole of games in a row. I guess it is just the way they are built this season and that can either be a really great thing during the playoffs or one of the worst things ever prescribed for a team during the playoffs.

crazybob60
09-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Just a gut feeling but if we make the playoffs Ryan Freel will be starting game one in RF. Broken thumb or not I seriouslly doubt you are going to keep him out of the line-up.

I second that motion ten times over!!!!

goreds2
09-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Last night, Andy Furman said if the Reds play another game in Great American Ball Park this year, he will shave his head on the mound. :help:

RedFanAlways1966
09-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Last night, Andy Furman said if the Reds play another game in Great American Ball Park this year, he will shave his head on the mound. :help:

Just me... but I'd rather see Andy have his mouth surgically sewn shut. :devil:

RedFanAlways1966
09-27-2006, 08:33 AM

If a miracle does happen are you willing to bet me $1,000 that your prediction will not happen in the 1st playoff game played at the GAB? 15K or more not there and you win.

jmac
09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but didnt he also say something along these lines back ummm.....oh around 1990.(only "not" in GABP).seems to me tony larussa was also involved then.;)

"if reds sweep a's......"

redsfan30
09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
If this happens, it will rank number one for me. I'm young and wasn't around for the good times.

Just the fact that we're even contemplating this is amazing considering this team was dead in the water just a week ago.

goreds2
09-27-2006, 11:09 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but didnt he also say something along these lines back ummm.....oh around 1990.(only "not" in GABP).seems to me tony larussa was also involved then.;)

"if reds sweep a's......"

YES! I think Rob Dibble ended up cutting his hair. (Good memory on that event!) I am not sure it was Furman though. :confused:

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-27-2006, 11:25 AM
I think your wrong and i think its sad that you feel this way, whats the point of posting on here if you have thaty kind of attitude.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-27-2006, 11:25 AM
If this happens, it will rank number one for me. I'm young and wasn't around for the good times.

Just the fact that we're even contemplating this is amazing considering this team was dead in the water just a week ago.
thats the spirit.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-27-2006, 11:26 AM
I think your wrong and i think its sad that you feel this way, whats the point of posting on here if you have thaty kind of attitude.
on the other hand i hope your right because it will be easier for me to get tickets.

PuffyPig
09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
IF the Reds somehow make the playoffs, the stands will be full.

bradmu
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
If a miracle does happen are you willing to bet me $1,000 that your prediction will not happen in the 1st playoff game played at the GAB? 15K or more not there and you win.

If the Reds have another home game this year...it will sell out almost as fast as Opening Day.

westofyou
09-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Would you blame most people when in reality the Reds gave up a month ago?

Guess they gave up in June too.

Why is it when a .500 team experiences the losing side of the ledger it's always "giving up"?

Where is this magical place where baseball is played that guys always win and always give 110% based on some unseen metric only fans can see?

redsfan30
09-27-2006, 02:09 PM
If the Reds have another home game this year...it will sell out almost as fast as Opening Day.

No question.

duh_vinci
09-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Just me... but I'd rather see Andy have his mouth surgically sewn shut. :devil:

not just you.

TeamBoone
09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
IF the Reds somehow make the playoffs, the stands will be full.

Absolutely, SRO... just like it was against the Mets in '99. They didn't break any regular-season attendance records that year either.

TOBTTReds
09-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I think it would be 10x more exciting if we were 90-57, trying to catch up to the Cards who are 92-54. The fact is that it is such a lackluster "race" because we are below .500. What would you rather watch, an olympic 100 meter dash, or a speed walking 100 meter walk?

Look at Minnesota, when they clinched on Monday, there were I believe less than 20,000 there.

jmac
09-27-2006, 03:04 PM
YES! I think Rob Dibble ended up cutting his hair. (Good memory on that event!) I am not sure it was Furman though. :confused:

i couldnt remember dibble doing it but it was certainly furman who had proudly proclaimed "there was no way the reds would sweep a's"(paraphrasing) that got the buzz !

OldRightHander
09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
on the other hand i hope your right because it will be easier for me to get tickets.

Do I have a long lost twin? I guess I should be flattered.

TeamBoone
09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I think it would be 10x more exciting if we were 90-57, trying to catch up to the Cards who are 92-54. The fact is that it is such a lackluster "race" because we are below .500. What would you rather watch, an olympic 100 meter dash, or a speed walking 100 meter walk?

Look at Minnesota, when they clinched on Monday, there were I believe less than 20,000 there.

A better record makes it no more exciting to me. The bottom line is who wins, despite the record.