PDA

View Full Version : TO apparently tried to commit suicide!

cumberlandreds
09-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Just saw this on CNN. Wow! I wonder what's going on with him.

http://www.wfaa.com/

NJReds
09-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Very strange. I'm a Cowboys fan, and I didn't want them to sign the guy. But you don't ever want to see something like this.

dabvu2498
09-27-2006, 09:46 AM
As much as I dislike his BS off the field, I hope he gets the help he needs to get his head straight. Anyone who's been to the end of their rope like that or knows someone who has can sympathize. Good luck, TO.

Chip R
09-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I heard it was just an allergic reaction to pain meds. :dunno:

Red Leader
09-27-2006, 09:52 AM

That was the inititial report that came out. Apparently, that's not what really happened according to this report.

NJReds
09-27-2006, 09:53 AM

Apparently the newspaper obtained a police report that states it was a suicide attempt. The police will hold a press conf. later today.

NJReds
09-27-2006, 09:56 AM
An update.

Terrell Owens reportedly tried suicide

8 minutes ago

DALLAS - A police report says Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by taking pain medication. Owens reportedly put two more pills into his mouth even after fire rescue personnel arrived.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The worker attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. The worker then asked Owens "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, `Yes.'"

The 32-year-old player broke his right hand Sept. 17 against the Washington Redskins.

Owens had surgery the following day.

Initial reports indicated Owens was hospitalized last night after a reaction to pain medication.

Johnny Footstool
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
More on the story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

Police report: Owens hospitalized after suicide attemptESPN.com news services

Owens

DALLAS -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after fire rescue personnel arrived, The Associated Press reported Wednesday citing a police report.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that [his] prescription pain medication was empty and observed [Owens] putting two pills in his mouth,'' the police report said.

The worker attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. The worker then asked Owens "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time [he] stated, 'Yes.'"

KTVT-TV in Dallas reported that a woman named "Etheridge", likely his publicist Kim Etheridge, called police at 7:51 p.m. to report a suicide attempt. KTVT-TV reported that Owens ingested 35 pills.

Owens was taken to the emergency room Tuesday night. A source close to Owens had told ESPN's Ed Werder early Wednesday morning that Owens was suffering an adverse reaction to painkillers taken for treatment of his fractured hand.

"This is not serious," Etheridge said in Wednesday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, before news of the reported suicide attempt was released.

A report earlier Tuesday stated that Owens would practice with the team Wednesday and possibly play Sunday at Tennessee, but his availability this week and beyond is now uncertain.

Doctors treating the Dallas Cowboys receiver were trying to induce vomiting when he arrived at Baylor Medical Center, according to a television report.

Owens was brought by a fire rescue crew to the hospital, Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT reported, citing sources the television station did not identify. A reporter for the station later said she saw Owens being wheeled down the hall.

Calls from The Associated Press to Owens' agent, his publicist and the Cowboys were not immediately returned Tuesday night. The hospital told the AP that they do not have a patient registered by Owens' name; however, federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Owens fractured the fourth metacarpal bone in the Cowboys' victory over the Washington Redskins and underwent surgery on Sept. 18. The next day, a plate was screwed in, protecting the bone so it can heal without further damage.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells mentioned in a press conference shortly thereafter that pain medication had made Owens ill, apparently making this the second time he has had an adverse reaction. The incident that sent him to the hospital Tuesday night apparently occurred sometime after Owens took medication after catching passes at the Cowboys' facility on Tuesday.

With the Cowboys having had a bye last weekend, it was thought that Owens could return without having missed a game. Before Wednesday's developments, Owens said he would play Oct. 8, when he gets to face his former team, the Eagles, in Philadelphia.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

IMO, his severe depression was a reaction to the pain medication. Pain pills do weird things to people.

redsfan30
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Sad. This goes beyond all the "next question" garbage, this is about a man fighting apparently for his life.

Blimpie
09-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Very sad. Not many people hear much about TO's life growing up, but it was one disappointment after another. He grew up dirt poor and was told by his grandmother that he should trust nobody in life. But that's not the saddest thing I heard.

I recently read a story that said he was raised not knowing anything about the identity or the whereabouts of his biological father. When he was 12, he became fond of a girl who lived across the street from him, he was told by the girl's dad that he should not "mess around with her.." When TO responded, "Why not? because I really like her..." He was told he could not date the girl because she was his half-sister. All that time he was raised in a home right across the street from his own father and he never knew who the man was until that day. A young TO then had to ask himself: "If this man doesn't even want me to know that he is my father, what kind of a person must I be?

I would never try to excuse away all of TO's past transgressions, but I just think that there are lots of reasons why people act the way they do as adults. Almost all of those reasons stem from childhood, and TO's was simply awful according to the reports I have read.

Edited To further expand on what I wrote earlier:

According to jockbio.com, Owens was born to a 17-year-old alcoholic. Raised by his abusive grandmother, who also an alcoholic, he was whipped regularly and was not allowed to play with other children. One time his grandmother was so drunk that she burned up her purse — and all her money — in the oven.

Chip R
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I'd have thought that if there was one person TO could live with it'd be himself.

Heath
09-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Wow.

Football is a crazy sport. It isn't a day that goes by that some old or current football player has addictions or temper issues that makes the sports page.

Terrell does have one thing in his corner - Bill Parcells. If there was a coach in the NFL that can handle that situation, it's Parcells. Lawrence Taylor can give you experience in that.

CrackerJack
09-27-2006, 11:24 AM
A half-a$$ed attempt at suicide to get more attention doesn't really jerk my tear ducts...I question how 5 painkillers could do that to you any ways - ecspecially if they release you almost immediately afterwards without any evaluation period.

Life and his millions as a result of being born 6'5" with 4.3 speed must be so tough.

He's got such a tough life.

I really do not care about this man or anything he does. I wish he would go away - now we get to hear about this saga for the next month 24/7 on every news/sports related channel and broadcast.

yay.

Playadlc
09-27-2006, 11:35 AM
A half-a$$ed attempt at suicide to get more attention doesn't really jerk my tear ducts...I question how 5 painkillers could do that to you any ways - ecspecially if they release you almost immediately afterwards without any evaluation period.

Life and his millions as a result of being born 6'5" with 4.3 speed must be so tough.

I really do not care about this man or anything he does. I wish he would go away - now we get to hear about this saga for the next month 24/7 on every news/sports related channel and broadcast.

yay.

Owens took 35 pain pills.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

redsfan30
09-27-2006, 11:35 AM
The way I understand it, he didn't take just five. Sounds like he filled a prescription for 40 pills and before this incident only five of them had been taken. Sounds like he took a hell of alot more than five.....

In the Dallas police and fire press conferences, they were VERY non-committal, mainly due to HIPA privacy laws. They did say it was not a criminal act, but in the state of Texas attempted suicide is not a criminal act.

WMR
09-27-2006, 11:48 AM

yay.

http://www.novell.com/coolblogs/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/footmouth.gif

Way to bash the guy after putting forth a half-assed effort to read the article.

flyer85
09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Maybe all the negative publicity is getting him down? Poor fella.

Roy Tucker
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I don't care for TO as a person and a player and generally view him as a jerk and a prima donna.

But this is a whole different deal. The man must be feeling some genuine and deep pain and I sympathize with him. This goes beyond the realm of sports and into plain old humanity. I don't wish that kind of depression and pain on anyone.

Falls City Beer
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM
What is that old saw about the clown being the one hurting inside?

Chip R
09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
What is that old saw about the clown being the one hurting inside?

Very true. It wouldn't be a stretch to believe that all that bravado is just to compensate - or in his case overcompensate - for being a very insecure person.

GIK
09-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Maybe not.

His publicist is denying it was a suicide attempt and the police won't confirm either way.

redsfan30
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Owens has been released from the hospital and will have a 1:30 news conference.

RedsManRick
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I am in no way minimalizing suicide attempts, but I can't help but wonder if this was truly that, or if it was just another way of TO trying to get attention. Some reporter asks if he was trying to hurt himself and he says "yes" despite only taking 5 pills. It's sad in any case, but there's so much hot air being blown around. The media salivates over everything that happens to TO, feeding the monster so to speak.

I hope TO is ok and gets himself straightened out mentally, but if I have to listen to another story about him I'm gonna scream.

Puffy
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm really sorry if he attempted to commit suicide - that would be a shame.

But I hope he doesn't become this sympathetic character - he has thrown so many people under the bus (Jeff Garcia, Marrucci, Donovon McNabb) and they did not deserve the treatment he gave them - troubled life or no.

Puffy
09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
I am in no way minimalizing suicide attempts, but I can't help but wonder if this was truly that, or if it was just another way of TO trying to get attention. Some reporter asks if he was trying to hurt himself and he says "yes" despite only taking 5 pills. It's sad in any case, but there's so much hot air being blown around. The media salivates over everything that happens to TO, feeding the monster so to speak.

I hope TO is ok and gets himself straightened out mentally, but if I have to listen to another story about him I'm gonna scream.

He took 35 pills - he stated that he had only "previously" taken 5 pills

NJReds
09-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Some reporter asks if he was trying to hurt himself and he says "yes" despite only taking 5 pills.

He apparently took 35 of the 40 pills that were left. And he didn't talk to a reporter, the "depressed" quote was on the police report. So he must have told that to a paramedic.

NJReds
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
This is one odd story. But it may just be another case of the media rushing to judgement before all the facts are in.

Owens camp disputes police report
Updated: Sep.27, 2006, 1:17 pm EDT
DALLAS (AP) -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, a police report said, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told his friend "that he was depressed." Details of the report were first released by WFAA-TV.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, 'Yes.'"

Owens' trainer, James "Buddy" Primm, told NBCSports.com, "No, no way he'd ever do that."

Primm said Owens is currently taking between 20 and 25 supplements and is undergoing microcurrent therapy for his injured finger.

Former NFL player Deion Sanders told the NFL Network that he had spoken to Owens and Owens said, "Man, that didn't happen," referring to reports of a suicide attempt. Sanders relayed that Owens said the pain medication did not agree with him and when coupled with supplements he was taking, it left him incoherent when asked about the suicide attempt.

Owens left the hospital late Wednesday morning, giving reporters a "thumbs up" but making no comment as he was driven away.

According to the police report, Dallas Fire and Rescue was called regarding someone "attempting suicide by prescription pain medication." Officers arrived to find Owens being stabilized by ambulance workers, who then took him to Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

Owens, 32, was hospitalized late Tuesday because of what publicist Kim Etheredge said was an allergic reaction to pain medicine he was taking for a broken hand. Doctors reportedly tried to induce vomiting. Etheredge placed the initial 911 call and told multiple news outlets she was with Owens, who was having trouble because he'd mixed his pain pills with supplements. She said she called for help because he was becoming unresponsive.

A spokeswoman at Baylor University Medical Center said the family requested no information on Owens' condition be released.

According to police department spokesperson Lt. Rick Watson, "the paramedics told the officers they were going to have to proceed to the hospital, and they went in, and in the course of our investigation we have determined this is not a criminal offense. This a medical type of situation that occurred."

Watson refused to confirm the police report.

Watson and fire department spokesman Joel Lavender cited privacy laws for the lack of information they could provide. Lavender said more details could come from the 911 call. The Associated Press filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act to get the contents of the call.

"Let's just look at the tape, review the tape," Lavender said. "I'll give you an honest answer once I know something."

Owens is recovering from a broken right hand he hurt a week ago Sunday. He had an operation the next day to have a plate screwed in, enabling the bone to heal without being further injured. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said last week that the pain medicine made Owens ill.

The Cowboys were off this past weekend and Owens was back at practice Tuesday, although he worked out on his own. Parcells said Owens' hand was improving and he was expected back on the practice field Wednesday. Owens chatted briefly with reporters in the locker room Tuesday afternoon and seemed fine.

Owens, one of the league's top receivers during his 11-year NFL career, is best known for wild stunts on the field and other publicity-seeking antics off it.

When the Cowboys signed him to a $25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags. In fact, team consultant Calvin Hill -- who mostly deals with troubled players -- said during training camp that his department was not involved with Owens because he didn't have a history of those kinds of problems.

WMR
09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Sounds like he's got a great publicist (spin doctor):

"This is not serious," Etheridge said in Wednesday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, before news of the reported suicide attempt was released.

RedsManRick
09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
He took 35 pills - he stated that he had only "previously" taken 5 pills

Yikes, that certainly changes things. Still doesn't justify the media's singular focus on him. Glad he seems to be OK. It will be interesting to see how things are spun.

StillFunkyB
09-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Regardless of spin, this is a man who needs SERIOUS psychological counseling.

Red Leader
09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
They were saying on ESPN radio that if it truly was a suicide attempt, Owens would have been put on a 24 hr hold and wouldn't have been released from the hospital yet. Although, they did say that he was released from the hospital against medical advice, or released into private care for more observation until that window of time expired.

Whatever the situation is, it appears there are a lot of conflicting reports as to what truly happened.

Johnny Footstool
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Painkillers interacting with dietary supplements (the dude is a GNC freak) could certainly cause erratic behavior.

Matt700wlw
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't like the guy...but he needs help. You never want to see something like this.

I don't know if I buy the "suicide attempt" though.

T.O. will speak at 3:30

Blimpie
09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
FWIW, here is the transcript of the 911 call that was placed by the World's Worst Publicist...ever.

DALLAS (AP) - A transcript of the 41-second call from Terrell Owens' publicist Kim Etheredge to 911 on Tuesday night:

Kim Etheredge: "Hi, I have an emergency please."

911 operator: "You need the police out there?"

Etheredge: "I need an ambulance please."

911 operator: "Let me give you the paramedics."

Etheredge: "Thank you."

911 operator: "Stay on the line."

---

Paramedic: (Garbled) "Dallas Fire."

Etheredge: "Hi. Hi I need an ambulance please, immediately."

Paramedic: "OK. What's your address?"

Etheredge: (gives address, crying)

Paramedic: "What's wrong?"

Etheredge: "I think he took too many pills. Please. Now. (Garbled) What do I do if the pills are down the throat?"

Paramedic: "OK. What's your phone number? We are already on the way now, ma'm. What's your phone number?"

Etheredge: "Oh God!"

Paramedic: "What's your phone number?"

Etheredge: (Deleted)

Paramedic: "Is that 214?"

Etheredge: "Yes."

Paramedic: "OK. Is he still breathing?"

Etheredge: "Yes."

Paramedic: "OK, we're on the way there, ma'am."

Etheredge: "Thank you. Thank you."

BuckWoody
09-29-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm glad TO is OK. I'm glad he didn't seriously OD. I'm glad he isn't at the point in his life where he sees no other way out than to commit suicide.

Now I can go back to enjoying my intense dislike for this man like I always have before...with renewed passion, even, since he takes up the first 15 minutes of every single sports related program I've seen in the past week. :angry:

BuckWoody
09-29-2006, 08:55 AM
On a humorous note, I just ran across this picture over on the SI site.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/pete_mcentegart/09/28/ten.spot/p1_towens.jpg
TO's look is priceless. Looks like he's thinking, "Man, I gotta get me a new publicist." :D

FoReel
09-30-2006, 12:35 AM

yay.
Ever heard of the saying, "Money can't buy happieness." Even though i can't really find out if its true or not. Anyone that wants to give me some money, i might be able to prove it wrong.

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Now I've never been a fan of his, but there is something that bugs me about all this. That crazy publicist of his said that he had 25 million reasons to stay alive and then I hear other people make comments like, "He plays in the NFL and makes millions, so how can he be depressed?"

It seems that there is a misunderstanding of what depression is. Sure, there is the tendency many of us have to get a little bummed out about something, but that rarely leads to anything drastic, so what if he is seriously suffering from clinical depression or is bi-polar? I don't know if any of that is the case, but given his erratic behavior and the inconsistencies in this story, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. If that is the case, then he needs some serious help and it has little to do with how much money he makes or how giften he is athletically.

WMR
09-30-2006, 03:12 AM
His publicist has been bashed extremely hard--which she TOTALLY deserves--for her boneheaded comments attempting to link his big remaining contract dollars to his mental health.

Out of all of this, she has come off sounding like an incredibly ignorant dumbass.

max venable
09-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Sounds like he's got a great publicist (spin doctor):

Really? I don't know how long she's been his publicist...but do you know ANYONE who has a favorable impression of TO? She must be THE WORST publicist in the history of the world!

So, help me figure this: TO hires this woman to make him look good? Is that how it's supposed to work? He actually pays her $$$? Is is common for NFL players to have publicists? Why would you want/need one to begin with?

Chip R
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Really? I don't know how long she's been his publicist...but do you know ANYONE who has a favorable impression of TO? She must be THE WORST publicist in the history of the world!

So, help me figure this: TO hires this woman to make him look good? Is that how it's supposed to work? He actually pays her $$$? Is is common for NFL players to have publicists? Why would you want/need one to begin with?

Who would need a publicist more than TO?

RFS62
09-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Who would need a publicist more than TO?

Charles Manson?

GAC
09-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I doubt it was a suicide attempt.....people have been telling TO to drop dead for years and he never listened.