PDA

View Full Version : New computer, New problems. HELP.

SeeinRed
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I just got a new HP desktop computer with Windows XP Media Center Edition. The first time I started it up it went the the infamous, dreaded blue screen. Since then, it freezes regularly. We have a wireless network set up with RoadRunner cable internet. I can browse the internet, but any programs that need to connect to the internet say that I am not connected. I can't view media online that require windows media player. The error detail simply says that I need to connect to the internet. This is odd to me because it also seems to only freeze when I'm running Windows Media Player. I have a Netgear router and Netgear wireless USB card. No one else in my appartment has been having problems with the internet. I've tried reinstalling the wireless card, disabling the firewalls, turning off Norton Security Center, reinstalling Windows Media Player, and even using different versions of Media Player. I don't know a lot about computers, just enough to get me in trouble sometimes, but I did nothing but start up the computer and try to setup my printer when it went to the blue screen. My first thought is that something was installed wrong on my computer, or that something isn't there that should be. Any help would be much appreciated.

TeamBoone
09-28-2006, 11:13 PM
I would call the store where you bought it, explain what's happening, and if they're unable to help, return it for a replacement.

SeeinRed
09-28-2006, 11:40 PM
I would call the store where you bought it, explain what's happening, and if they're unable to help, return it for a replacement.

Yeah, thats what will probably end up happening, but I want to try and avoid the whole hassle of shipping it back. Tech support is about as helpful as hitting it with a hammer, that is if you can understand what they are saying. I'm sure there is a solution that can be done by myself with the help of somebody with more knowlege than myself. I don't think there is a problem with the hardware because all of the diagnostic tests have shown no problems, but I'm not sure how to find out exactly what the problem is.

Benny-Distefano
09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
If you could tell me what the error message says, exactly, I could help more. But based on what you have said so far, I would say:

If it goes to blue screen when it is loading your desktop, then I suspect you have a wireless card/router conflict.

Try disabling your wireless card and then reboot. Connect to the internet using a good old fashioned ethernet cat-5 cable. Then go to your wireless card's website and download the latest drivers. Then enable your wireless card but try to keep your computer as close to your router as possible.

Then reboot.

If you still get bluescreenofdeath, call tech support.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I am now leaning toward possible bad RAM. I dont know how comfortable you are with this, but I would open the case, reseat the RAM, then reboot. If that doesnt work, and the computer is under warranty, then call tech support, where they will take you through the Indian version of "troubleshooting."

SeeinRed
09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
If you could tell me what the error message says, exactly, I could help more. But based on what you have said so far, I would say:

If it goes to blue screen when it is loading your desktop, then I suspect you have a wireless card/router conflict.

Try disabling your wireless card and then reboot. Connect to the internet using a good old fashioned ethernet cat-5 cable. Then go to your wireless card's website and download the latest drivers. Then enable your wireless card but try to keep your computer as close to your router as possible.

Then reboot.

If you still get bluescreenofdeath, call tech support.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I am now leaning toward possible bad RAM. I dont know how comfortable you are with this, but I would open the case, reseat the RAM, then reboot. If that doesnt work, and the computer is under warranty, then call tech support, where they will take you through the Indian version of "troubleshooting."

:laugh: Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the "troubleshooting." I'll give it a shot, thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.