PDA

View Full Version : Pedro Martinez done for the season....

Blimpie
09-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Per ESPN:

Tests show he has a completely torn calf muscle. Weird thing is that it is not the same calf that he injured when he was put on the DL last month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2606427

vaticanplum
09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Awful. I really wanted to see him in the postseason again.

macro
09-28-2006, 11:41 PM
What does this do to the Mets chances? I would think the NL West winner would be the favorite to win the pennant at this point.

Blimpie
09-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Per FoxSports:

Orlando Hernandez will start Game 1 next week in the best-of-five division series, the slot that was supposed to go to Martinez. Tom Glavine will go in Game 2.

Beyond Hernandez (10-11 going into a start Thursday night) and Glavine (14-7), the other potential playoff starters are Steve Trachsel, whose 15 wins are mitigated by an ERA of nearly 5.00, and six-game winner John Maine, a rookie.

cincinnati chili
09-28-2006, 11:52 PM
To every Red Sox fan in the tri-state area who criticized the club for not yielding to his ridiculous contract demands...

WE TOLD YOU SO.

blumj
09-29-2006, 12:18 AM
To every Red Sox fan in the tri-state area who criticized the club for not yielding to his ridiculous contract demands...

WE TOLD YOU SO.
I wasn't one of them, but it's not like that Matt Clement idea worked out better. Who would have thought Pedro's shoulder would outlast Clement's?

cincinnati chili
09-29-2006, 02:18 AM
I wasn't one of them, but it's not like that Matt Clement idea worked out better. Who would have thought Pedro's shoulder would outlast Clement's?

Yeah, you're right about the Clement deal. Fortunately, it cost about $25 mil. total, rather than $52 mil.

Gainesville Red
09-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Torn calf? Damn, I bet that hurts.

NJReds
09-29-2006, 11:13 AM
The Mets really blundered if it was true that the A's were prepared to deal Zito for Milledge (in the offseason or at the deadline, if you believe the rumors).

Sure, Zito is going to be a FA, but when you have a shot at a World Series I think you take the chance of dealing an outfielder. After seeing Milledge play, I'm not sure his value is so high anymore. A team like the Mets can sign just about any outfielder they want as a FA, anyway.

paulrichjr
09-29-2006, 04:46 PM

WE TOLD YOU SO.

Maybe but he has done fairly good the past 2 seasons and this isn't his shoulder. He could bounce back next year and do just as well. A lot of people would have been willing to have Pedro the last two years at what he is making. Maybe he will never pitch again but I wouldn't bet on it.

REDREAD
09-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Maybe but he has done fairly good the past 2 seasons and this isn't his shoulder. He could bounce back next year and do just as well. A lot of people would have been willing to have Pedro the last two years at what he is making. Maybe he will never pitch again but I wouldn't bet on it.

And Pedro did get them to the playoffs. (Played a big role). That contribution can not be discounted.

NJReds
09-30-2006, 06:50 PM
He's done for more than just the rest of this season...

Martinez to have rotator cuff surgery, out 8 months
September 30, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The New York Mets will be missing ace Pedro Martinez for more than just the postseason.

The Mets right-hander will have rotator cuff surgery next week and be out eight months. The injury is expected to sideline him from any baseball activities until at least June.

Matt700wlw
09-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Pedro's falling apart

NJReds
09-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Pedro's falling apart

He'd been falling apart for years. But he's so good it was hard to notice.

Krusty
09-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Watch the Mets be major players for LHP Barry Zito.

Matt700wlw
09-30-2006, 10:51 PM

I'm hearing he'll end up in San Diego....

Of course, it's a very early rumor

NJReds
09-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Too late. They should've pulled the trigger on a trade. The only reason I can see him coming to NY is his relationship w/Rick Peterson (if, in fact, it was a good relationship). I think he'll stay on the west coast.

Edit: But you're right, they'll be major players, and Zito's agent will probably leverage that interest into bigger bucks elsewhere.

edabbs44
10-01-2006, 01:40 AM
At least the Mets have Victor Zambrano.

GAC
10-01-2006, 07:39 AM
The Mets were the best team in the NL obviously.

Is that really saying much?

This year....

5-2 vs SD
4-2 (respectively) vs Cards & Astros
4-3 vs the Dodgers

Anything can happen in a short series (I understand); but I expect they'll be favored to make it back to the WS, where IMHO, they'll get their clock cleaned. I just hope it's by either Detroit or the Twins. ;)