PDA

View Full Version : lose vs loose

Benny-Distefano
09-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I have to ask.

Why are there still literate people on the planet that spell "lose" like "loose?"

Seriously...

It is not a difficult word. Hardly an antidisestablishmentarism.

How does a literate human being, ESPECIALLY A SPORTS FAN (where you see the words win and lose frequently), go through life spelling "lose" like "loose?"

Someone help me out...

RichRed
09-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I try not to let things like that bother me but I have to admit, it drives me a little insane too (not to or two). I probably just need to losen up.

Unassisted
09-29-2006, 11:07 AM
They do it because they're desperate and they've got nothing to loose? ;)

My spelling is better than my typing accuracy. Once I realized that my typing made my own posts less than perfect on occasion, I started giving posters the benefit of the doubt.

Benny-Distefano
09-29-2006, 11:15 AM
I know I know I know...

But it is like spelling "the" wrong. I just don't get it. especially coming from sports fans who see that word in every article, every day.

Oh wel. <---hehe

Redsland
09-29-2006, 11:26 AM
It wuld be kewl if Linder gave money's to school's so english bettered.

Heath
09-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't have any problems with Lose vs. Loose.

I just use Lohse. It's universal.

macro
09-29-2006, 11:45 AM
The one that gets me is when people insist on inserting an apostrophe before the "s" when spelling a plural word. Apostrophes are for contractions and possesives, and that's all! It's not uncommon to see this mistakes made on television and in print ads, even.

Dom Heffner
09-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I loose my mind over this sort of thing. I really do.

Dom Heffner
09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I also dated a lose woman once, but I have no idea what that means, especially when it's spelled that way.

Johnny Footstool
09-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Dom, you're such a looser.

Dom Heffner
09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Dom, you're such a looser.

I just loost my wallet this morning, so I would agree with you.

Danny Serafini
09-29-2006, 12:11 PM
The one that gets me is when people insist on inserting an apostrophe before the "s" when spelling a plural word. Apostrophes are for contractions and possesives, and that's all! It's not uncommon to see this mistakes made on television and in print ads, even.

My jaw about dropped when I saw an NFL ad with the Manning family and they put the phrase "The Manning's are ready for football" on the screen. How does that happen?

While I'm at it, how is it that over the past year or so "ridiculous" has become the most difficult word to spell in the English language? If I see "rediculous" one more time I'll scream.

Dom Heffner
09-29-2006, 12:14 PM
My jaw about dropped when I saw an NFL ad with the Manning family and they put the phrase "The Manning's are ready for football" on the screen.

The grocer's apostrophe:

"Banana's $.059/lb."

RichRed
09-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I've posted a link to this site before but its/it's/i'ts always good for a laugh.

http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/000382.html

Ltlabner
09-29-2006, 12:42 PM
As the offical representative of the poor spelling and types too fast for his own good club I'd like to share something......

I just don't care enough to make sure my grammer, spelling and punctiuation is 100% on an internet sports forum. If I was writing a business letter or communication I'd spend the extra time and energy because I know I am a poor speller.

Sorry to have such low standards....and sorry that it irritates people. Certinally not my intention.

vaticanplum
09-29-2006, 01:09 PM
As the offical representative of the poor spelling and types too fast for his own good club I'd like to share something......

I just don't care enough to make sure my grammer, spelling and punctiuation is 100% on an internet sports forum. If I was writing a business letter or communication I'd spend the extra time and energy because I know I am a poor speller.

Sorry to have such low standards....and sorry that it irritates people. Certinally not my intention.

Nowhere on this thread did anyone mention a sports forum. I do have higher standards for professional signs -- such as the banana's thing at the grocery (which I saw just the other day) -- you're right, that's exactly where time should be put into these things. The other place where it drives me nuts is on houses: The Johnson's. People have paid to have these signs professionally made. You'd think someone would catch that along the way.

LoganBuck
09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
I had an English teacher once that had a gigantic sharpie that used to go around correcting signs. We used to call her "The English Avenger".

justincredible
09-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I definately find it rediculous when people spell "lose" the wrong way. People can be such idiot's.:)

OldRightHander
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Grocery store express lanes drive me crazy. It should read 10 items or fewer, but darn near every store uses less.

RedFanAlways1966
09-29-2006, 02:46 PM
> And sticking closer to home....
* It is (was) Lindner... not Linder.
* It is Schoeneweis... not, uh, um, err... whatever!
* It is Majewski... not that chump from WASH. :devil:

> Then there is the classic "i before e except after c". Obviously John Riedling's family were English majors. Chris Reitsma's family is from Canada, so we should not hold it against him, 'ay.

> Fortunately for us and the REDS we did not have to worry too much about the correct spelling for long of Josias Manzanillo in 2003.

Heath
09-29-2006, 04:11 PM
We used to call her "The English Avenger".

Was this your English Teacher? :eek:

http://www.preisvergleich.org/pimages/DIANA-RIGG_88__F-323.180_20.jpg

oneupper
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
REDS fans spell "lose" with an "h" in the middle.

Matt700wlw
09-29-2006, 06:07 PM
I hating when the Reds loose games they should win.

I also hate when I forget to wear a belt with pants that are lose fitting....annoying

:)

redsrule2500
09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
I am so lost.

paintmered
09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
And here I thought it was spelled "looze" the whole time...

RFS62
09-29-2006, 09:56 PM
I definately find it rediculous when people spell "lose" the wrong way. People can be such idiot's.:)

justincredible
09-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Cardinals fans, ha!