PDA

View Full Version : Pitches thrown

klw
09-29-2006, 10:16 AM
It looks like Arroyo and Harang will end up 1,2 in most pitches thrown this year in MLB. (Assuming the A's don't do something dumb with Zito this weekend)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching?split=0&league=mlb&season=2006&seasonType=2&sort=pitches&type=pitch3&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=all

RedsManRick
09-29-2006, 10:32 AM
It's interesting that Arroyo's P/PA is so high given that he hasn't walked a ton of guys.

TeamSelig
09-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Due to strikeouts I'm guessing.

RedsManRick
09-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Though look at a guy like Smoltz. More K's, similar walk numbers, and .22 fewer pitches per PA -- or about 6 fewer pitches per start.

blumj
09-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Just a guess that the difference might be a large number of fouls hit out of play. Maybe Smoltz pitches more often in stadiums with a lot of playable foul territory than Arroyo. But Bronson's a little unique, anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a bit more foul contact than the average bear.

Chip R
09-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Smoltz throws harder than Bronson and he's been around for a few more years. He'll challenge hitters more than Bronson does. If Bronson is facing someone like Berkman, he'd more often than not walk him while Smoltz would go right after him. I'd say the foul ball thing may be a factor as well although it's tough to measure something like that.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
It's interesting that Arroyo's P/PA is so high given that he hasn't walked a ton of guys.
He wastes a high fastball everey time theres 2 strikes and his junk gets fouled off alot, he likes to set up the hitters he faces and that takes more pitches. Also he goes deep in games and has alot of strike outs for a non power pitcher.

meangirl
09-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Somehow I doubt that they'd be on top had it not been for such a lousy bullpen for the better part of the season.