PDA

View Full Version : Buck O'Neill in the hospital

Chip R
09-29-2006, 05:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-oneilhospitalized&prov=ap&type=lgns

Negro Leagues great Buck O'Neil takes turn for the worse

September 29, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Negro leagues great Buck O'Neil took a turn for the worse late Thursday but was resting comfortably in a Kansas City hospital Friday, friends said.

The 94-year-old O'Neil was admitted to the hospital Sept. 17 with extreme fatigue. O'Neil, one of the driving forces in the creation of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, has lost his voice and can only whisper.

Bob Kendrick, marketing director for the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City, said Friday that since O'Neil took a turn for the worse Thursday night there had been no change in his condition.

"The last report I got was that he was still very much aware of what's going on around him," Kendrick said. "We hope that remains the same and the outlook will be good."

A former Negro leagues batting champion and player-manager with the Kansas City Monarchs, O'Neil holds many distinctions in his long career. In February, he fell one vote short of induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

BuckWoody
09-29-2006, 05:18 PM
If we lose Buck we lose a great ambassador for the game; a guy who transcends race and generations with true class and grace. 94 years is a long full life though, I'm sure he'd not want people to mourn should this be the end. All the same, I wish him the best for a full recovery.

vaticanplum
09-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Every time I see Buck O'Neill talk, I cry.

Johnny Footstool
09-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Buck O'Neill is a great ambassador of the game, but I do get the feeling that he's been trotted out as more of a sideshow lately. "Come gander at the world's oldest living ballplayer!" His exhibition at-bat earlier this summer at the KC T-Bones game is a prime example.

Chip R
09-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Buck O'Neill is a great ambassador of the game, but I do get the feeling that he's been trotted out as more of a sideshow lately. "Come gander at the world's oldest living ballplayer!" His exhibition at-bat earlier this summer at the KC T-Bones game is a prime example.

But that's his call, isn't it? No one is forcing him to do that.

MrCinatit
09-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Without Mr. O'Neill, Ken Burns' Baseball would have been just another documentary.

Yachtzee
09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Every time I see Buck O'Neill talk, I cry.

I'm the opposite. Every time I see Buck O'Neill, I smile. He's one of those guys who you could tell got great joy from the game of baseball.

vaticanplum
09-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm the opposite. Every time I see Buck O'Neill, I smile. He's one of those guys who you could tell got great joy from the game of baseball.

That's what I mean. Mine are tears of joy.

BoydsOfSummer
09-29-2006, 08:32 PM
I love that dude. A real treasure. Hope he gets better or at least doesn't suffer if he's going out.

WMR
09-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Is that the guy who got passed over for the HoF?

That'd be a real shame if he died b/f being inducted when he should have been put in this year. :(

Chip R
09-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Is that the guy who got passed over for the HoF?

That'd be a real shame if he died b/f being inducted when he should have put in this year. :(

One and the same. I think last year was his last chance unless they change the rules.

goreds2
09-30-2006, 12:42 AM
I heard an interview of him on XM175 HOMEPLATE. I could listen to him all day tell stories. ALL THE BEST.

Jr's Boy
09-30-2006, 12:59 PM
One vote shy of the hall of fame?What a bunch of morons!Buck should have been in there long ago.I've got to tell my good friend, former Negro League player Joe Scott that Bucks not doing well.He may already know,i'll see him today though.Joe always tells me great stories about Satchel Page and others.Plus he knows i'm a Reds fan and has been nothing but supportive of them this year,and putting up with me griping about them alot.lol

Yachtzee
10-01-2006, 12:26 AM
That's what I mean. Mine are tears of joy.

OK, I see now. Didn't quite get what you were saying, but I see we're on the same page. I once spent 5 mos. working in Kansas City. About a few months before my project was up, I heard about the Negro League Hall of Fame and that Buck O'Neill was often there, willing to sit down and talk to anyone about baseball. The only regrets I have from my time in KC are not making it over there to check out the museum and possibly get a chance to talk to one of the game's great ambassadors. The other is not making it over to Gates BBQ for some burnt ends. Unfortunately, I was often working until 7 pm in Overland Park, which made it difficult to get over there.

RFS62
10-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Buck represents all that's good about baseball. I was really bummed when he didn't get in the hall, although if all you look at are numbers, you could make the case for not inducting him.

Numbers aren't everything.

Cyclone792
10-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Buck deserved to make the Hall in the very least as an ambassador to the game, especially as an outstanding ambassador to the Negro Leagues and its history.

Josh Gibson, Oscar Charleston, Satchel Paige, Pop Lloyd, Turkey Stearnes, Smokey Joe Williams, the list goes on and on. There were some Negro League legends that are all-time greats in baseball history, not merely MLB history, and Buck O'Neill is a major reason why those Negro League legends haven't been forgotten. Of course, that example is simply a microcosm of what O'Neill's meant to baseball and making people aware of the Negro Leagues, its players, its teams and its collective history.

Chip R
10-01-2006, 01:34 PM
You could make a case for Buck being the first black manager even before Frank Robinson. He was one of the infamous college of coaches the Cubs used to run the team back in the 60s. He was also a scout for the Cubs as well and signed players like Lou Brock and Ernie Banks. You might make a case for him not having the numbers for the HOF but as a scout, a coach and an ambassador to the game, he definitely should be in there.