PDA

View Full Version : 07 unis: different from what we've heard?

Wheelhouse
09-30-2006, 01:42 AM
From DDN:

Red as in Reds

A peek at next year was visible on a trunk inside the clubhouse door Friday. New Era, major-league baseball's official hat manufacturer, dropped off samples of next season's home hats.

It's back to solid red with a white wishbone 'C,' the caps The Big Red Machine wore, although there is still a tinge of black outlining the 'C,' which wasn't on the 1970s hats.

There was one on manager Jerry Narron's desk, too, and he said, "I like it. When I saw them, I grabbed one."

The team will have different uniforms next year no cut-off sleeves and names on the back will be in a font and design solely used by the Reds.

reds44
09-30-2006, 01:45 AM
I hope we use our Sunday home jerseys as our home or road jerseys next year.

Johnny Footstool
09-30-2006, 01:45 AM
From DDN:

Red as in Reds

A peek at next year was visible on a trunk inside the clubhouse door Friday. New Era, major-league baseball's official hat manufacturer, dropped off samples of next season's home hats.

It's back to solid red with a white wishbone 'C,' the caps The Big Red Machine wore, although there is still a tinge of black outlining the 'C,' which wasn't on the 1970s hats.

There was one on manager Jerry Narron's desk, too, and he said, "I like it. When I saw them, I grabbed one."

The team will have different uniforms next year no cut-off sleeves and names on the back will be in a font and design solely used by the Reds.

Sounds like they're some of the things that make the Reds uniforms unique (2-color hat design, cut-off sleeves) and get rid of them.

Heath
09-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Sounds like they're some of the things that make the Reds uniforms unique (2-color hat design, cut-off sleeves) and get rid of them.

Understood the point Johnny, but have all Red Caps in this day and age is almost "unique".

Red Leader
09-30-2006, 12:14 PM
From DDN:

Hopefully, a parting gift.

Joseph
09-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm glad to see the all red caps coming back, but I liked the 'vest' look.

traderumor
09-30-2006, 05:38 PM
All Red caps is a great idea. We are, after all, the Cincinnati Reds.

WVPacman
10-01-2006, 12:30 AM
I know alot of posters will dissagree with me but I HATED the black away uniforms.They just did'nt look like the Reds playing.They looked more like the Pirates jerseys.I hope they wear the white home jerseys at home and were the all red jerseys that they wear in sundays on away games next year.

I thought somebody on here a few months back said they was thinking about bringing the blue back on the jerseys??

LoganBuck
10-01-2006, 12:45 AM
I hated the blue look. I am glad black is being kept as the third color.

Chip R
10-01-2006, 12:47 AM
I know alot of posters will dissagree with me but I HATED the black away uniforms.They just did'nt look like the Reds playing.They looked more like the Pirates jerseys.I hope they wear the white home jerseys at home and were the all red jerseys that they wear in sundays on away games next year.

I thought somebody on here a few months back said they was thinking about bringing the blue back on the jerseys??

Actually, I think most would agree with you. The current road uniforms would be OK if they wore red sleeves underneath instead of black. You get a guy like Deno who wears the red socks high and it just doesn't look right. I wouldn't mind the all red on the road but I don't like them at home even on Sundays.

I guess we'll find out for sure at Reds Fest.

WVPacman
10-01-2006, 12:51 AM
The current road uniforms would be OK if they wore red sleeves underneath instead of black

Exactly Chip! The black should be replaced by red b/c after all we are the Reds.I would'nt mind a little black out lining the C on the front of the cap but wearing black sleaves and socks looks like crap atleast to me.

jimbo
10-01-2006, 01:23 AM
I know alot of posters will dissagree with me but I HATED the black away uniforms.

I certainly do not disagree with you. I hated those black road uniforms the first year they got them and hate them even more today. I never understood the notion that a team called the Reds would have uniforms with black as the primary color.

Johnny Footstool
10-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Understood the point Johnny, but have all Red Caps in this day and age is almost "unique".

The Nationals, Angels, and Phillies have basic red caps. Ideally, that look would be reserved for the Reds, but since it's not, the red and black look sets the Reds apart.

I'm totally on board with all-red away jerseys or even red sleeves on the away jerseys. Those are both good looks.

What I don't want to see is the Reds looking like the Indians, Braves, or any other navy-and-red team.

paintmered
10-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Exactly Chip! The black should be replaced by red b/c after all we are the Reds.I would'nt mind a little black out lining the C on the front of the cap but wearing black sleaves and socks looks like crap atleast to me.

The road uniforms were originally worn with red shirts. In '99, they switched to the black to try and gain some luck. They ended up winning 7 straight in Houston and Arizona (guess it worked) and never wore the red shirts again.

redsrule2500
10-01-2006, 05:15 AM
The road uniforms were originally worn with red shirts. In '99, they switched to the black to try and gain some luck. They ended up winning 7 straight in Houston and Arizona (guess it worked) and never wore the red shirts again.

Don't remember this....

Do remember their great road record that year though

RANDY IN INDY
10-01-2006, 08:24 AM

I don't believe that the red sleeves were ever worn with the current road uniforms. I do remember black being worn under the home uniforms for a extended time.

paintmered
10-01-2006, 09:30 AM
From Wikipedia:

The most obvious change in the new 1999 uniforms was featured in the caps. The Reds had last used a single cap for all purposes in 1992. Since 1993, the Reds had been using two styles of caps for home and road games. The new wardrobe included four different cap styles. The official home cap had a red crown and a black bill with a white wishbone C insignia highlighted with a black drop shadow. The official road cap was reversed, with a black crown and a red bill and a red wishbone C with white drop shadow. There was also now an "alternative" or "Sunday game" cap that was all red, and a batting practice cap that was all black.

The jerseys and trousers kept the traditional white at home and grey on the road, but all the graphics featured on the uniforms now featured fancy drop shadows. Pinstripes were kept on the home togs, but eliminated on the road version. Sleeveless vests for both, with black undershirts at home and red on the road. Home uniforms still had the C-REDS and away bore the arched CINCINNATI, but the designs featured red, white, and black in the trim.

In the next year, 2000, the undershirts were swapped, with red now for home games and black for away games.

I'm trying to find a picture but have been unsuccessful so far. I remember an article in the enquirer discussing it because the the black undershirts on the road quickly became their good luck charm.

Yachtzee
10-01-2006, 10:22 AM
My wife bought me a #11 Larkin authentic home jersey when they first came out. It came with a black undershirt. My recollection is the same as paint's. They started out wearing black at home and red on the road and then switched sometime in the first season they were wearing them.

RANDY IN INDY
10-01-2006, 12:51 PM
The home "replica" jerseys have always been sold with the black sleeves sewn in, and the "replica" road jerseys have always been sold with the red sleeves sewn in. I have always thought it to be crazy. My son has both a home and road jersey, the latest of which was the home jersey, purchased this past May for his birthday. He couldn't understand why it had black sleeves, and why his older road jersey had red sleeves.

I have been watching the Reds, religeously, for many years and have been a keen observer of their uniform styles. I have never seen the current road uniform set being worn with red sleeves. I had hoped that someday it would happen, but to my knowledge, it never has. Could someone provide an actual game picture to document, if in fact, it did.

RANDY IN INDY
10-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Matter of fact, when the current uniform set was unveiled, it showed red sleeves on the home uni's and black on the road uni's.

Always Red
10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
I found this:

http://cincinnati.com/reds/2002final/photos/rijo_larkin_zoom.jpg

Matt700wlw
10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
How about Reds tops, Red pants, and Red hats....

:)

RANDY IN INDY
10-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't believe that the red sleeves were ever worn with the current road uniforms. I do remember black being worn under the home uniforms for a extended time.

I'm aware of the black sleeves with the home uniforms. It's the red sleeves with the road uni's that I don't think have ever happened.

RANDY IN INDY
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
How about Reds tops, Red pants, and Red hats....

:)

Cleveland tried the all red look (except the caps) for a while. Boog Powell looked just marvelous in that getup.;)

Matt700wlw
10-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Dunn the Big Red Slugger

RANDY IN INDY
10-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Dunn the Big Red Slugger

Ooooooohh.:all_cohol

RFS62
10-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Cleveland tried the all red look (except the caps) for a while. Boog Powell looked just marvelous in that getup.;)

Yeah, he looked like a giant tomato.

macro
10-02-2006, 08:39 AM
As has been mentioned already, the vests are gone and the caps are red. The solid red jersey will be a part of the set, but it is listed as an "alternate". I'm assuming that that means they'll be worn during Sunday home games, but that's just a guess.

I can't get anyone who knows to tell me if the road caps will be solid red or if they will have the black bill (like what they've been wearing at home). I'm hoping that they'll go with solid red home and road. The black bill just never looked right on the Reds caps, just as the red bill has never looked right on the Cubs' road caps. The two-tone cap works for Atlanta, Cleveland, and Oakland, but not for the Reds.

And Randy is right. The Reds never wore the red shirts under the gray road jerseys with the current set. (I don't know who wrote that Wikipedia entry, but they made a mistake.) They were unveiled in the winter before the 1999 season started as red shirts with home jerseys and black with road. Superstition led to their wearing the black at home throughout much of 1999 and 2000, as the team won most of its road games with the black undershirts and didn't far too well at home with the red undershirts. They apparently figured that it must have been the red shirts that were causing them to lose, so they started wearing black full-time. As bad as the black looked with the road jerseys, it looked even worse with the home uniforms.

redsfan30
10-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Don't ask me how I remember, but the first road series of the 1999 season was in St. Louis thus that was the debut of the new road uniform design. It's been black under the gray vest since it's debut.

I was a fan of the black sleaves and red hats at home back in 2000, but that was only used for a few games. One of those games was against the Colorado Rockies. Again, don't ask me how I remember this crap.

StillFunkyB
10-02-2006, 08:40 PM
I like black as the third color, but used sparingly. I think what I dislike the most are the pinstripes.