PDA

View Full Version : Should the Reds be interested in Crawford?

maniem
09-30-2006, 07:58 PM
I saw that the D-Rays are going to be dangling him this winter. Should this be someone the Reds try to acquire? Decent pop, speed to burn, but not sure how he is defensively. He doesn't seem to be the best at taking a walk, but he is young and his OBP seems to be improving. If he could be had for relatively cheap, maybe for a package of Larue and Deno and possibly a prospect, would he be worth the gamble?

WMR
09-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Carl Crawford is one of my favorite players.

Can't imagine the Rays letting him go cheaply.

blumj
09-30-2006, 08:09 PM
If he could be had for relatively cheap
He couldn't.

Shaggy Sanchez
09-30-2006, 08:10 PM
The Reds should be interested in Carl Crawford but they have no chance to get him. He will not be cheap and there is no way that LaRue and Deno could get him.

mth123
09-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Every team should be interested, but given what it may take to get him, I'd probably pass. If I was Tampa Bay I'd start with Harang, Arroyo or maybe Bailey on my wish list in any deal. They have decent OF help to take his spot and Offense in General.

dunner13
09-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Their saying they want a top SP Prospect, so it would take bailey. Not sure I would make that trade although it would be tempting. I love bailey but hes still unproven he could flame out or become a cy young winner. But since its been forever since the reds developed a stud pitcher and they are worth so much on the marktet I say keep him and add Tori Hunter in the offseason.

LoganBuck
09-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Outside of the handful of #1 starters, and monster impact bats like Pujols. Homer Bailey can bring back any other player in the big leagues. Depending on the ranking service he will probably be the #1 prospect in all of the minors. Carl Crawford would be very disappointing in my opinion.

Krusty
09-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Their saying they want a top SP Prospect, so it would take bailey. Not sure I would make that trade although it would be tempting. I love bailey but hes still unproven he could flame out or become a cy young winner. But since its been forever since the reds developed a stud pitcher and they are worth so much on the marktet I say keep him and add Tori Hunter in the offseason.

Agree. Trading Bailey for Crawford would be a huge mistake.

Team Clark
09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Don't be surprised to see Crawford go to St. Louis for Duncan or Wainright. We nearly had a deal in place at the deadline. I'm not sure that the Cards will part with Wainright since their pitching will be in a shambles this off-season. I'd sure like to see Duncan play 1B everyday as a Ray.

reds44
09-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Yes, then flip Dunn to someone for pitching.

edabbs44
09-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Don't be surprised to see Crawford go to St. Louis for Duncan or Wainright. We nearly had a deal in place at the deadline. I'm not sure that the Cards will part with Wainright since their pitching will be in a shambles this off-season. I'd sure like to see Duncan play 1B everyday as a Ray.

Duncan or Wainwright? TB would be foolish to deal Crawford for hitting, unless it was for a top flight hitter.

BigRed
10-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I like Crawford, but agree that it would take too much to get him. I think that you could pick up a similar player much cheaper.

Kc61
10-01-2006, 10:17 AM
The natural question here is Dunn for Crawford? If the Rays would do it, should the Reds?

RedLegSuperStar
10-01-2006, 10:29 AM
The natural question here is Dunn for Crawford? If the Rays would do it, should the Reds?

Would the Rays do that?? That is taking on a big contract and something Tampa Bay isn't used to doing.

icehole3
10-01-2006, 10:42 AM

What do you think Dunn would bring? Are Rays interested in DUnn?

RedLegSuperStar
10-01-2006, 10:43 AM

I wish we could develop/acquire talent like St. Louis does.. They were able to make deals to bring in some big names in years past such as McGwire, Rolen, Edmonds, Chuck Finley, Mulder, Larry Walker..

Team Clark
10-01-2006, 11:01 AM

I'm not sure. It really depends on the GM and how he looks at Dunn's stats. Productive or unproductive? The same debate that goes on here at Redszone is the same one I am sure a lot of GM's have about Dunn. He's valuable no question... I just do not know what he would command in return.

Team Clark
10-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I wish we could develop/acquire talent like St. Louis does.. They were able to make deals to bring in some big names in years past such as McGwire, Rolen, Edmonds, Chuck Finley, Mulder, Larry Walker..

The Reds will now that that Almaraz is in charge.

Team Clark
10-01-2006, 11:03 AM

We could not afford him. That's one reason we were looking to move crawford for a Duncan type player. Duncan has several years before arbitration.

Kc61
10-01-2006, 11:32 AM
We could not afford him. That's one reason we were looking to move crawford for a Duncan type player. Duncan has several years before arbitration.

I have wondered whether Tampa would want a Griffey or a Dunn to spark some additional fan interest.

RedLegSuperStar
10-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I have wondered whether Tampa would want a Griffey or a Dunn to spark some additional fan interest.

Ah La Fred McGriff??

They have some of the best young talent in baseball.. and if they deal Crawford they will only get more wealthy in prospects.

Falls City Beer
10-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Unlike Krivsky, I'm sure Jocketty has Tampa on speed dial even as we speak. A talented player like Crawford is always a target for a genius like Jocketty.

MartyFan
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Unlike Krivsky, I'm sure Jocketty has Tampa on speed dial even as we speak. A talented player like Crawford is always a target for a genius like Jocketty.

:rolleyes:

westofyou
10-01-2006, 12:47 PM

When you kiss the Cardinals do you ever get your braces locked?

fewfirstchoice
10-01-2006, 12:56 PM
How about this deal with Tampa?
Crawford and Scott Kazmire(spelling)

for

Bailey,Deno,Harris,and Dumitrait.All small contracts with good talent coming back.Not sure if the Rays would except it but it would be worth a try.

mth123
10-01-2006, 01:00 PM
How about this deal with Tampa?
Crawford and Scott Kazmire(spelling)

for

Bailey,Deno,Harris,and Dumitrait.All small contracts with good talent coming back.Not sure if the Rays would except it but it would be worth a try.

You might be able to get Crawford for that because of the $ and TB has other options. No way do you get Kazmir by himself in that deal let alone in a package with Crawford.

geniusMoment
10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
How about a ripped up first baseman's glove, Jason LaRue's wife and an old bag of Schottzie 02's hair for Scott Kazmir and Crawford.

Falls City Beer
10-01-2006, 04:07 PM
When you kiss the Cardinals do you ever get your braces locked?

You and Randy in Charlotte have really patented your little Charles Whitman message board maneuvers.

Just put me on ignore. You obviously can't resist the urge to personally attack me.

westofyou
10-01-2006, 04:15 PM
You and Randy in Charlotte have really patented your little Charles Whitman message board maneuvers.

Just put me on ignore. You obviously can't resist the urge to personally attack me.

You are constantly slobbering over the Cards and I'm funning you, it's an easy target when you tee it up day in and day out.

If this is a "personal attack" of you then sorry you feel that way.

pedro
10-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Crawford is a nice player but he is also one of the most overrated players in the majors. He slots well for his current salary but I wouldn't want to pay big bucks for his production and a big payday is coming soon. He'd be a nice pickup for 2007-8 probably though.

Wheelhouse
10-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Crawford is a nice player but he is also one of the most overrated players in the majors. He slots well for his current salary but I wouldn't want to pay big bucks for his production and a big payday is coming soon. He'd be a nice pickup for 2007-8 probably though.

By whom? I don't see a lot of him on ESPN, on the cover of SI, or oft mentioned by analysts. .914 OPS in the #2 slot this year, and 77 RBIs as a top of the lineup guy is pretty darn good. Mix in 58 SBs...whew. Imagine what his OPS would be if a single and a SB counted as a double. Scouting on defense: "He is known for his running and hitting, which makes his defensive contributions underrated. His speed and athleticism allow him to cover vast amounts of turf and put himself in position to attempt plays others would have no chance on. He has a decent arm, and can make it look better with good positioning and a quick release." Most importantly, he is 25 and has improved each year in the bigs. I hope the Cards don't get him as he could REALLY flourish a la Edmonds coming over from the Angels.

pedro
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
By whom? I don't see a lot of him on ESPN, on the cover of SI, or oft mentioned by analysts. .914 OPS in the #2 slot this year, and 77 RBIs as a top of the lineup guy is pretty darn good. Mix in 58 SBs...whew. Imagine what his OPS would be if a single and a SB counted as a double. Scouting on defense: "He is known for his running and hitting, which makes his defensive contributions underrated. His speed and athleticism allow him to cover vast amounts of turf and put himself in position to attempt plays others would have no chance on. He has a decent arm, and can make it look better with good positioning and a quick release." Most importantly, he is 25 and has improved each year in the bigs. I hope the Cards don't get him as he could REALLY flourish a la Edmonds coming over from the Angels.

A lot of folks around here. Yahoo Fantasy Sports. I've seen it other places too.

His overall OPS was 830 which is good but not spectacular. If you "speed adjusted" his OPS it would add .060 points which does make a difference.

He may be a good fielder but he isn't good enough to play CF which calls into question his overall fielding skills IMO.

I think he's a nice player. I just think he's overrated.

If he is able to continue to improve his OBP, then I'd be really impressed.

westofyou
10-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Crawford kinda reminds me Ron Leflore... dangerous and reckless at the same time.